Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have just begun to learn how to play guitar with this fantastic program and its seriously really enjoyable.

I am getting mighty frustrated with my guitar, however, as it has ridiculous problems with the 12th fret on the low e-string and the one below it. (Currently they are just Red and Yellow to me)

The others are fine, the tuning is fine, but going up the fret board the pair of them start to get a bit funky. Tuning I've done, and holding them a little gentler helps but then sounds awful and muted through the songs. I have been trying to figure out the intonation part, but no matter what adjustments I make, my tuner (ET-3000+ thingy) constantly hears the 12th Low E fret as wrong on the too high side.

Does anyone have any suggestions that I may have missed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

VideoGames posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions that I may have missed?

Either get a setup at a guitar store or try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CjZANhOzHE

I just intonated a guitar for the first time and it took about 10 minutes. Made a big difference.

But really just get a setup.

E oh right duh you tried that nm

Snowy fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 31, 2015

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

baka kaba posted:

Oh you mean like generating another version of the internal song data and transposing all of that instead, so it matches your tuning? Definitely possible I guess, how easy it would be depends on how they store all that and if it would take a while to convert it, can't see it being a big issue though

Exactly, that way there wouldn't be any extra processing, just a different chart would be loaded.

VideoGames posted:

The others are fine, the tuning is fine, but going up the fret board the pair of them start to get a bit funky. Tuning I've done, and holding them a little gentler helps but then sounds awful and muted through the songs. I have been trying to figure out the intonation part, but no matter what adjustments I make, my tuner (ET-3000+ thingy) constantly hears the 12th Low E fret as wrong on the too high side.

The action (the space between the string and the fretboard) might be too low and could be hitting the other frets up the neck which will cause a buzz when you play that high up.

sigher fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 31, 2015

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Snowy posted:

But really just get a setup.

as I'm still learning and really, really new this is probably the best thing to do. Thank you :>

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

In case you're wondering, when the note is sharp (too high) further up the neck, it means the string needs lengthening - a shorter string means a higher pitch y'see, which is what you get when you fret further up the neck, shortening the vibrating part

So you need to move your saddle back to make the vibrating part of the string longer. You might actually need to move it a long ways back, with lots of turns off the screw, before it sounds right all the way up the neck. Just needs practice - check how sharp the 12th is when the open string is in tune, slacken the string while you mess with it, move the saddle a bit, tune back up and check it again. Has the 12th fret problem changed much? If not, you need to move the saddle a lot more! You'll get a feel for it eventually

A setup is always a good idea though with your first guitar, because then you have it done right and you'll have an idea of how it should be when you come to mess around with it yourself

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
•Boston “Amanda” – Drop D [Bass]
•Cinderella “Don’t Know What You Got (Till it’s Gone)”
•Extreme “More Than Words” – Eb Standard
•Poison “Every Rose Has Its Thorn” – Eb Standard
•Tesla “Love Song"

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Exodor posted:

If it's a power ballad pack I'm guessing the Boston song will be "Amanda"

Nailed it!

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Kekekela posted:

•Extreme “More Than Words” – Eb Standard
•Poison “Every Rose Has Its Thorn” – Eb Standard

Called it

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Thanks to this thread and Rocksmith, tomorrow I'm starting some real lessons outside of the game. It's been overdue, but I am so excited to take my learning to the next level.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Finally got the Foo Fighters, RATM, Bon Jovi, etc packs in the UK. In related news, I am now broke.

Was Ace Of Spades part of a pack at all? Or was that another DLC that you could only buy as singles?

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...

TheDarkFlame posted:

Was Ace Of Spades part of a pack at all? Or was that another DLC that you could only buy as singles?

It was a single, yeah.

WesleyPipes
Apr 20, 2004
As a pansy lead guitarist who just got a manly bass, how should I be plucking the strings ? I use a jazz 3 for guitar and that's great, but for the bass it feels to small. I tried a few picks and the 1.5mm Dunlop felt best but after playing a few songs my thumb stops working and feels like its about to break. I can score pretty high 90's on the Iron Maiden songs but after 2 I can play no more and am forced back to playing guitar like a gaylord.

Should I just man up or should I try something else like different picks or fingering ?

tl;dr I want to play Iron Maiden songs on bass but I'm a big cry baby guitarist

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

WesleyPipes posted:

As a pansy lead guitarist who just got a manly bass, how should I be plucking the strings ? I use a jazz 3 for guitar and that's great, but for the bass it feels to small. I tried a few picks and the 1.5mm Dunlop felt best but after playing a few songs my thumb stops working and feels like its about to break. I can score pretty high 90's on the Iron Maiden songs but after 2 I can play no more and am forced back to playing guitar like a gaylord.

Should I just man up or should I try something else like different picks or fingering ?

I use these in the thickest guage they come in for my bass needs. Using a pick with bass, I've found, requires a grip with a lot more thumb than a jazz iii. Not just for the size difference, but because without my thumb almost wrapped around the pick, it will slip out of my hand. That grip also helps with fatigue from fighting the thicker strings.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

WesleyPipes posted:

Maiden's played fingerstyle, so get to pluckin' boy. :getin:

Actually have a bass related question myself. The ML bass thread has pointed out something with jazz bass pickups that I never knew, in that full volume on both causes some out of phase wackiness. Anyone have any experience with this in RS2014, like should I be calibrating and playing with one of them at 7? It seemed to make a bit of a difference last time I played but I might just be hearing things wrong.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

The short answer is play however you want, but the longer answer is that fingerstyle is better :colbert:

Nah really unless you know you only care about one style, it's way better and more fun to learn both, and honestly fingerstyle is what makes the bass for me. The way you interact with the instrument is so much more physical, and you have way more control over the sound and nuance. I play pick now and again, especially if you want a good grindy punk tone, but it's usually straight to the direct interaction

Also Maiden fans will shout at you that Steve uses his fingers

As far as your technique goes you're probably digging in too hard, with guitar you can get away with it because of the delicate angel hair strings, but the bass has heavy, thick strings that will catch a lot easier. You need to make sure you're not pulling the strings with the pick, because that will tire you out - spend some time picking an open string over and over and work out how much you need to skim it, and how hard you need to play, to get a certain tone.

Experiment with where you play on the string too - it'll affect the tone, plus a lot of pickers play really close to the bridge, probably closer than you'd normally go on a guitar, because you get a really biting sound and the tension is so high the strings won't catch, so your pick will sort of bounce off them. Finding a place that works for you will help a lot. And try a few different picks and pick angles - don't just use what you use for guitar

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Dewgy posted:

Actually have a bass related question myself. The ML bass thread has pointed out something with jazz bass pickups that I never knew, in that full volume on both causes some out of phase wackiness. Anyone have any experience with this in RS2014, like should I be calibrating and playing with one of them at 7? It seemed to make a bit of a difference last time I played but I might just be hearing things wrong.

Personally I always play with a single pickup in RS, because the sound doesn't matter too much in the game, and it feels like you'll get a more consistent signal without any phasing issues from summing multiple pickups

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

WesleyPipes posted:

I love the Jazz III for bass so if that doesn't work for you then I dunno mang. But what I do know is that I learned how to fingerpick by watching this video and have just always done the 3 finger style.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

I overhauled my front 3rd bedroom. It's a dedicated music and Rocksmith room now. I'd love a bigger playing space in my next house. That VHT tube amp can be deafening when really getting down.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Lookit all dem guitars...

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Seether DLC next week (3 Pack)

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
I wish they'd add some jazz. Then you're probably guaranteed some good bass. All these new bands have pretty boring bass (and a lot of the older ones, too)

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

EvilChameleon posted:

I wish they'd add some jazz. Then you're probably guaranteed some good bass. All these new bands have pretty boring bass (and a lot of the older ones, too)

If they added a five-pack of Primus you wouldn't be saying that.

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe

EvilChameleon posted:

http://customsforge.com/page/customsforge_rs_2014_cdlc.html/_/pc-enabled-rs-2014-cdlc/so-what-r8617

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Seether Song Pack – $7.99

Seether “Broken” by Seether featuring Amy Lee – Eb Standard
Seether “Fake it” – Drop C
Seether “Remedy” – Eb Drop Db

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Kind of glad my wallet's had a break lately, barring stuff like the riff singles.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

toymach1ne posted:

Seether Song Pack – $7.99

Seether “Broken” by Seether featuring Amy Lee – Eb Standard
Seether “Fake it” – Drop C
Seether “Remedy” – Eb Drop Db

Unless some goon comes in with amazing testimonials about how fun these songs are to play I'm afraid I must sit this one out. :smith:

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

The customs forge version of fake it is pretty fun to play on lead, that's all I can say.

I'll skip this week.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

So guys, I'm totally geeked. I have around 230 hours on Rocksmith and Rocksmith 2014 and this Thursday is my first paying gig. I'll be playing blues by piping Rocksmith through my amp and using youtube backing tracks. Here's sample of what I'm gonna be doing. https://soundcloud.com/xavier-marchena/slowblues

I would have never gotten here if it wasn't for this drat game!

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Mercedes posted:

So guys, I'm totally geeked. I have around 230 hours on Rocksmith and Rocksmith 2014 and this Thursday is my first paying gig. I'll be playing blues by piping Rocksmith through my amp and using youtube backing tracks. Here's sample of what I'm gonna be doing. https://soundcloud.com/xavier-marchena/slowblues

I would have never gotten here if it wasn't for this drat game!

That's great and all, but I would think you probably don't want to pipe through Rocksmith while actually gigging. It works well enough when you're playing a game in your living room, but if you're playing to a crowd of people you probably want to get proper gigging hardware for your tone modeling. If you want to get into tone modeling outside of Rocksmith look at getting a Fender Mustang III and a used multi-effects pedal from a pawn shop or guitar center. Use your gig money to try and get both of those and break away from live Rocksmith session mode as soon as you can.

IIRC those Mustang amps let you pipe audio from a laptop just as easily, and you get a robust amount of quality tone modeling to play around with. Once you get a multi effects pedal to go with it you can basically surpass the tone variation you get from Rocksmith.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

It'll be fine for a first gig! Don't worry about it, I used to play live with one of these pieces of crap

You can worry about getting some better gear later, and professional modelling software (like Guitar Rig or Amplitube) are options too if you want to stay in the laptop

That's really awesome though, I hope you get the bug for it

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

I forgot to add, the reason why I'm using Rocksmith is that I'll be playing the blues during session mode as well. I'm aware of the other programs, but this one does me just fine for now.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,

I always hit up all the cool customs, I'm just wondering why Ubisoft doesn't want my money.

WesleyPipes
Apr 20, 2004
Thanks for replies Nebraska Tim, Dewgy, baka kaba and EvilChameleon. I went away and played some bass taking your advice on board and have gone for finger picking. Should I be using my thumb ? I find if I let my thumb join the party I can't finger well with anything but my first finger.

Also, can anyone recommend some bass tracks that are more "lead" than "rhythm" if that makes sense.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

WesleyPipes posted:

Thanks for replies Nebraska Tim, Dewgy, baka kaba and EvilChameleon. I went away and played some bass taking your advice on board and have gone for finger picking. Should I be using my thumb ? I find if I let my thumb join the party I can't finger well with anything but my first finger.

Also, can anyone recommend some bass tracks that are more "lead" than "rhythm" if that makes sense.

Basically anything Red Hot Chili Peppers. Their bassist is really good.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There's some assorted funk DLC, also Cake is pretty good.

RHX
Oct 20, 2005
I may have missed something but I've looked through the thread and it hasn't been mentioned, but according to the EU PS4 store update, there should be a 5-song Jane's Addiction pack available today?

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2015/02/11/new-playstation-store-evolve-super-stardust-ultra-unmechanical/ - in both the PS3 and 4 DLC section, at the usual 5 pack price.

Hopefully this means we get Stop, no idea why that never showed up in Rock Band at all.

WingsOfSteel
Nov 13, 2007

Even Dr. Octopus can learn something from the Internet!

RHX posted:

I may have missed something but I've looked through the thread and it hasn't been mentioned, but according to the EU PS4 store update, there should be a 5-song Jane's Addiction pack available today?

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2015/02/11/new-playstation-store-evolve-super-stardust-ultra-unmechanical/ - in both the PS3 and 4 DLC section, at the usual 5 pack price.

Hopefully this means we get Stop, no idea why that never showed up in Rock Band at all.

This site actually lists the songs.

Apparently, it's “Mountain Song”, “Been Caught Stealing”, “Jane Says”, “Just Because”, “Superhero” - Jane’s Addiction

I'd prefer to replace the last three with Stop, Pig's in Zen and Ocean Size, but the first two oughta be good.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

WingsOfSteel posted:

This site actually lists the songs.

Apparently, it's “Mountain Song”, “Been Caught Stealing”, “Jane Says”, “Just Because”, “Superhero” - Jane’s Addiction

I'd prefer to replace the last three with Stop, Pig's in Zen and Ocean Size, but the first two oughta be good.

Three days, and Ted just admit it would have been pretty sweet.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

WesleyPipes posted:

It's not fingerstyle like classical guitar, if that's what you're thinking! Generally you just use your first two fingers in a kind of 'walking' motion (or pedalling a bike), but of course there are lots of other techiques like the three-finger one. This is the basic movement:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGZikYZsyNc

Here are some other good ones about the core techniques to get down

Basic fingerstyle - use alternate fingers!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNAYIfITgpw

Muting is really important - with bass you usually only want one note ringing at a time, so you have to be in control and mute the other strings, especially the one you just played
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDSAd29kJ0o

General posture tips:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsDbh0buYHE

Don't neglect the pick though! Use both if you can, you'll appreciate it later - the worst thing is realising you need to use a pick for something you want to do, but your skill with it is so rudimentary that it's like you're back to being a beginner on the instrument, so you just want to use your fingers instead

As for lead songs... depends what you mean, it's rarely a lead instrument. You mean more complicated riffing, more than just hitting the root note of the chords all day? I really like that Gold Motel song, it starts with a basic groove but then adds in more and more movement and ghost notes and stuff. The Red Fang songs have bass that tends to match the guitar riffs, Number Thirteen is a good pick (also use a pick). Muse songs are pretty bass-driven, that Jenny O song has some good timing changes and does a bit of walking, Slow Hands by Interpol is pretty intense and has some good disco-style octave action. My Generation has a pretty famous bass solo in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Really finding that I get a lot more out of this game when I'm vigilant about paying attention to how I'm actually sounding and not taking the games word for it. Then once I've identified something what's wrong, I use riff repeater to fix it.

Some concrete examples:
Playing Thunderkiss today, the main rhythm where he's just thumping the muted E string I'm getting great marks from Rocksmith for hitting all the notes but I can tell it sounds like poo poo. (because I turn myself all the way up and everything else way down, another great thing that has helped immensely)

So, into riff repeater at 100% difficulty but slowed down and focusing on just nailing the rhythm perfectly and slowly bringing the speed up while muscle memory builds.

After that, it was on to the intro for that one cool Bon Jovi song (Cowboy or whatever). Pretty much the same deal, except for this one my first few run throughs I just focus on following the left hand finger placement since I can tell that the spastic poo poo I'm attempting while just watching notes fly past cannot possibly be correct. Get that down, then the picking pattern (realizing while slowed down what was throwing me off), then just start gradually bringing the speed up.

tl;dr
* good score != good sound (oh yeah, I also use the tuner from the menu and actually get in tune...just getting close enough for note detection to work also != good sound)
* riff repeater at 100% difficulty (or high enough that dynamic difficulty doesn't completely distort the section) but slowed down
* gradually increase speed (set riff repeater at 5x for a speed increase, bump back down if its too fast)
* if completely hosed up, get left hand placement down first

This is all pretty obvious poo poo but I'm retarded and have to type things out to really let them sink in sometimes. :downs: