Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Don't know how long it'll last:

Kindle Voyage with Special Offers for $59.00

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It shows full price for me, so they must have fixed that in a flash.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Endless Mike posted:

It shows full price for me, so they must have fixed that in a flash.

I got it. Wonder if they'll honor the price...

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002
I think you misread it, the standard Kindle Touch is $59, unless they screwed up.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Wooty posted:

I think you misread it, the standard Kindle Touch is $59, unless they screwed up.

Sounds like they made a mistake at setting the Voyage for that promo, then quickly corrected it.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

Sounds like they made a mistake at setting the Voyage for that promo, then quickly corrected it.

That's exactly what they did. I ordered one and so did a coworker. Neither order was cancelled and I think they'll just let the orders go.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

god this blows posted:

That's exactly what they did. I ordered one and so did a coworker. Neither order was cancelled and I think they'll just let the orders go.

Nice! I wish I had caught that

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

god this blows posted:

That is awesome. I know some retailers don't let price mistakes slide and will cancel any order, but I'm not sure about Amazon. Hopefully it goes through.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The thing where you can pay in installments for the Kindles seems to be new though. When was that announced?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Nintendo Kid posted:

The thing where you can pay in installments for the Kindles seems to be new though. When was that announced?

Around the time the Voyage was announced. It was only available to certain users though.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

noirstronaut posted:

Around the time the Voyage was announced. It was only available to certain users though.

I bought my Fire TV and Kindle Paperwhite through that system.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

god this blows posted:

Yeah, mine shows a ship date for March something or the other.

Pretty nice!

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Pretty nice!

Mine shows arrival of the 18th

chapstickie
Apr 30, 2011
Ok, I'm trying to do something in Calabre and can't find an automated system.

Basically, I want to find a way to copy the series information to the beginning of the title so I can see it both on my Kindle and in Calibre. So the fourth Harry Potter book for instance would go from "The Goblet Of Fire" to "Harry Potter 04- The Goblet of Fire". Does anyone know of a plugin or anything that can do that? I really don't want to do them all by hand.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

chapstickie posted:

Ok, I'm trying to do something in Calabre and can't find an automated system.

Basically, I want to find a way to copy the series information to the beginning of the title so I can see it both on my Kindle and in Calibre. So the fourth Harry Potter book for instance would go from "The Goblet Of Fire" to "Harry Potter 04- The Goblet of Fire". Does anyone know of a plugin or anything that can do that? I really don't want to do them all by hand.

So in Calibre you can add the series column to see that info, and then under Preferences you can use the Metadata plugboards to change the title to include the series name and number to send to your device, something like:

device: kindle2
template: {series:|| }{series_index:0>2s|[|] - }{title}
destination: title

edit: this will leave the title metadata unchanged for the file in Calibre but modify it as it sends it to the Kindle.

chapstickie
Apr 30, 2011

fordan posted:

So in Calibre you can add the series column to see that info, and then under Preferences you can use the Metadata plugboards to change the title to include the series name and number to send to your device, something like:

device: kindle2
template: {series:|| }{series_index:0>2s|[|] - }{title}
destination: title

edit: this will leave the title metadata unchanged for the file in Calibre but modify it as it sends it to the Kindle.

Cool. That might be good enough. I had been hoping to have that information displayed in Calibre too, but having it on the Kindle is more important. Thanks for the information. Anyone know of a way to get it in Calibre too?

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Are there any good soft/padded cases for the Paperwhite? I have this Patagonia case for my Kindle 2, but I can't find anything similar on Amazon.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Thermopyle posted:

Pretty nice!

Interesting, since I just did a normal order for a Voyage today and they listed the expected ship date as February 17. Are they just bumping the orders during the sale error to the end of the line?

surrender posted:

Are there any good soft/padded cases for the Paperwhite? I have this Patagonia case for my Kindle 2, but I can't find anything similar on Amazon.

I've used this for my Paperwhite since 2012. It also fits the newer ones fine, and does the magnetic wake:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0062IPIPQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

chapstickie posted:

Cool. That might be good enough. I had been hoping to have that information displayed in Calibre too, but having it on the Kindle is more important. Thanks for the information. Anyone know of a way to get it in Calibre too?

You have it displayed in Calibre in the series info. If you really need a column combining them all like that (why?) you can go in, create a custom "column built from other columns" that combines the series and title columns together in the format you want.

chapstickie
Apr 30, 2011

fordan posted:

You have it displayed in Calibre in the series info. If you really need a column combining them all like that (why?) you can go in, create a custom "column built from other columns" that combines the series and title columns together in the format you want.

Yes, I guess I will do that. I can put the columns in any order so having a false titles one isn't a big deal. As to why, I don't really have a good reason. I just like them that way. I'm a little weird about file organizing. Relying on metadata instead of file names for organization makes me nervous? I had forgotten I could make custom columns from other columns. That combined with the plugboard sounds like a perfect solution for me.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

Interesting, since I just did a normal order for a Voyage today and they listed the expected ship date as February 17. Are they just bumping the orders during the sale error to the end of the line?

Just got an email that they cancelled the order.

They did give me a $20 amazon gift certificate to make up for it.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Just got an email that they cancelled the order.

They did give me a $20 amazon gift certificate to make up for it.

Same.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Hmm they said they cancelled the order but its still shows in my orders.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Maybe you'll get a free Voyage and you'll be able to use the coupon towards removing ads.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Huh. Looks like Kindle Unlimited is available in Canada now. Maybe this is old news?

Can any US users comment on whether its worth it?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
It REALLY depends on the catalog available.

I had it in the US for a few months but cancelled it. I just wasn't using it enough to warrant the fee. I read all the books on my wish list that were available, and basically after that there wasn't much I was personally interested in.

If you see a bunch of stuff you like though, go for it. It's a pretty cool program, and you can send the books to whatever device you have, versus the kindle prime lending that only sends it to a kindle.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I got a month or two of reading from it before hitting bottom.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Can my Kindle Paperwhite natively read mobis? A quick lookaround online revealed that the Amazon (or KF8 or whatever) format is basically .mobi but I can't tell if it can read regular mobis.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Can my Kindle Paperwhite natively read mobis? A quick lookaround online revealed that the Amazon (or KF8 or whatever) format is basically .mobi but I can't tell if it can read regular mobis.

Yes it can. It'll even read mobipocket in the old Palm .prc format, if you happen to still have any very old ebooks around.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
And yet it won't read epub natively for some reason.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Amazon spent too much money on Mobipocket to just start supporting everything.

Also I suspect most kindle owners aren't using 3rd party booksellers very often, much less 3rd party sellers that only use epub.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Sperg Victorious posted:

Amazon spent too much money on Mobipocket to just start supporting everything.

Also I suspect most kindle owners aren't using 3rd party booksellers very often, much less 3rd party sellers that only use epub.

Eh. Unlike back in the day, most books are available everywhere, regardless of format. The only reason, I find, that a book isn't available is that the author or publisher has a bee in their bonnet over e-books. Oh...or amazon is warring with a publisher again.

When I first got my Kindle, I did buy the occasional book from Kobo, that amazon didn't have. Converting was easy enough in Calibre. These days? Amazon's selection is good enough.

...Though where's my "Book of the Long Sun" and "Litany of the Long Sun" anthologies? I'm not going to buy the individual books! :argh:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Apparently there's a new software update for kindle paperwhite v2.

I dunno what it does though.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Apparently there's a new software update for kindle paperwhite v2.

I dunno what it does though.

Same for the Kindle Voyage - generic performance improvements and bug fixes I believe.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

The paperwhite with special offers still is the best value/price e-reader, right?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

gmq posted:

The paperwhite with special offers still is the best value/price e-reader, right?

Pretty much

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
I have a Kindle Keyboard with 3G for sale in SA Mart if anyone misses having physical buttons all over the place

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

gmq posted:

Is it really that much better? I just picked up the Kindle for $59 to replace my broken Kindle Keyboard 3G, is it really worth over twice as much?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That Kindle is on sale for $20 off, so at the moment it's probably the best value. Depends on how much you value the light in the Paperwhite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

smackfu posted:

That Kindle is on sale for $20 off, so at the moment it's probably the best value. Depends on how much you value the light in the Paperwhite.

Not at all, I have a Samsung Tab S 8.4, honestly this is just for reading in the park/by the pool.