Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Apparently not a single loving GameStop got in systems for people who didn't preorder. :argh:

e: neither does Best Buy or Target...what the gently caress?

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

It's finally on the e-shop!

It's over 20k blocks too! Hope you guys have a big SD card, I'm off to radio shack. :suicide:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I made mine pink and called him Bagpuss.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

Apparently not a single loving GameStop got in systems for people who didn't preorder. :argh:

I did store pick up online through Best Buy's website at 12:01 last night when their inventories updated, called up there this morning, my order and my roommates covered the only two units in black they received.

None of the Targets in my state even have the system according to their website and BrickSeek. :v:

They also had very limited copies of MH4U, was able to snag one.

Now just gotta wait 30 min for the store to open.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

sitchelin posted:

It's over 20k blocks too! Hope you guys have a big SD card, I'm off to radio shack. :suicide:

as an aside if you need screwdrivers or memory cards try to hit up radio shack. The ones near me all have a straight 75% off of everything.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

sitchelin posted:

I still have 150,000 blocks free (~19gb)

Scrublorde

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Just picked up my game and console! I had donated blood 10 minutes earlier, so between that and the smell from the line at Gamestop I was feeling pretty lightheaded. That sounds like a joke but it isn't.

I think I'm going to start with HBG and look into the Insect Glaive once I unlock food for making ~*perfect bugs*~.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Unlucky7 posted:

So apparently, you can create your first felyne comrade?

Monster Hunter Megathread: Show us your kitty

yeah, my cat is a badass with one eye, airplane ears, a crooked tail and a gruff (for a cat) voice.

his name is solid jackson and he tears poo poo up with his little lance

also spoiler alert but it looks like velocidrome got upgraded to great jaggi tier

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Who knows about in-store stock, but Gamestop has the MH4U+3DS bundle up on their site for orders again. Dunno if it will last but here's your newest chance if you have yet to grab one.

linkuuu

edit: within 5 minutes of posting this it was gone again. Whoops!

Colapops fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 13, 2015

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide

Bread Set Jettison posted:

You get 2 cats man!

Actually, you get as many cats as you like (only two go out with you though). I can't name them all Mewsolini!

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Tried looking around for info on this, but does this game have any of the weird charm table stuff from the last one?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

turnways posted:

Tried looking around for info on this, but does this game have any of the weird charm table stuff from the last one?

It has charm tables, but they function like theyre supposed to. You get a new charm table everytime you start the game.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

If I get 4U for my current DS, would I be able to transfer my save over if/when I get a new system?

Praesil
Jul 17, 2004

10 characters for cat names?

Guess Rocinante fits. I'm horrid at coming up with names, other than my own cats.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Evil Mastermind posted:

If I get 4U for my current DS, would I be able to transfer my save over if/when I get a new system?
Yes

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Good. At least I can play the game while I wait for someone to get the drat thing in stock.

Seriously, why did nobody get any of these things in for non-preorders?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Good. At least I can play the game while I wait for someone to get the drat thing in stock.

Seriously, why did nobody get any of these things in for non-preorders?

Nintendo of America

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Sorry I'm bitching so much. I'm just pissed that I can't just go and buy a new 3DS and have no way of knowing when I'll be able to get one.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Anecdotal but the toys r us I stopped to get the game at only had like 4 copies. I doubt the game will be super rare or anything but go out and buy the game already!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and no New 3 dseses

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Edit: Nevermind, sounds like they fixed my one big gripe.

turnways fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 13, 2015

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
smdh if you don't name your cats after the Warrior Cats from Yahoo Answers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7IvGM2BLLM

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

turnways posted:

Is this instead of getting a charm table assigned to you at character creation?

Correct. It changes all the time and Im sure there is a turbonerd way to figure out which table you are on so you can figure out if you need to reload the game but I wouldnt sweat it.

LizardBeam
May 17, 2005
Not an AmphiBeam
So if I'm not transferring from and old DS, I can just copy the game install (and if I play some before I change out, the saves) to a new SD card, swap 'em, and just be good to go, right?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Correct. It changes all the time and Im sure there is a turbonerd way to figure out which table you are on so you can figure out if you need to reload the game but I wouldnt sweat it.

Why do they even have separate tables at that point?

Praesil
Jul 17, 2004

Boco_T posted:

smdh if you don't name your cats after the Warrior Cats from Yahoo Answers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7IvGM2BLLM

Troutleap!

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

Wish I knew

LizardBeam
May 17, 2005
Not an AmphiBeam
Hahaha, I actually know the person that put that kinetic type video together. I did not figure I'd see it here.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Tender Bender posted:

I'm guessing it's some dumb engine limitation they wrote themselves into.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Can you change your cats names/appearances or are they permanently set after you make them?

The Laplace Demon
Jul 23, 2009

"Oh dear! Oh dear! Heisenberg is a douche!"

They're generated from (pseudo-)random numbers. The fastest random number generators also have the shortest periods. This means after some amount (say 20k or however large "charm tables" are) of random numbers, the generator starts over from the beginning. The number you start at, commonly set by the system time, determines your "table" (sequence of random numbers).

In other words, this:

Republicans posted:

I'm guessing it's some dumb engine limitation they wrote themselves into.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
UPS says my special edition new XL delivered this morning

Mail guy where are youuuuu stop giving people business mail and give me my monster fightins gaem so i can play it at lunch

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Evil Mastermind posted:

There was an article about how each SKU was sold out at GameStop, you shouldn't be surprised. Also Target out here didn't even do preorders.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So, is there a way to get around erasing and redownloading MH4U if you got one of the bundles? My Internet connection is not great, it would take hours to redownload the game; if I could pop the card out, copy the file to my computer, do the transfer, and put that back in or something, that would be great. If not... Well, I can deal with it, it'd just delay my monster hunting even further.

Fuzzykins
Nov 24, 2013
I was watching the Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Palico Walkthrough.

Are you stuck with the Ace Palico you create at the beginning? The video made it seem like it would be with you all throughout and as if you could only decide the sub palico. Tell me it's not so...

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
E: goons are the best!

Emalde fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 16, 2015

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Roland Jones posted:

So, is there a way to get around erasing and redownloading MH4U if you got one of the bundles? My Internet connection is not great, it would take hours to redownload the game; if I could pop the card out, copy the file to my computer, do the transfer, and put that back in or something, that would be great. If not... Well, I can deal with it, it'd just delay my monster hunting even further.

You should be able to copy the game from the Micro SD onto your computer, then do the system transfer, and then move it back onto the micro SD after the transfer. People have reported this process working for other games previously.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Drowning Rabbit posted:

You should be able to copy the game from the Micro SD onto your computer, then do the system transfer, and then move it back onto the micro SD after the transfer. People have reported this process working for other games previously.

The problem is that getting the micro SD involves a number 0 screwdriver.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Unlucky7 posted:

The problem is that getting the micro SD involves a number 0 screwdriver.

Curse you Nintendo!!!! :argh:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
How big is the game? I thought I heard around 20K blocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

• Locked thread