Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
the construction dudes loved the push to talk though, especially the dudes who worked out in remote parts of BC because some of the models could switch to walkie talkie mode when out of cell coverage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
oh and for some reason we didn't bill (probably couldn't) roamers on the network and so there were these bizarro Brazilian and Mexican students who used it to talk back home by shouting at their phones in public

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
the best support call I ever got was a guy with a lovely blackberry version who complained his data was slow because that awful iden network was pretty much stuck at dialup speeds

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 381 days!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a trip to staten island is honestly the best tourist thing in nyc. ride the ferry out for free, drink one dollar beers, observe the lower manhattan skyline, and take photos of the statue of liberty. it can't be beat.

unfortunately, it's mandatory to get off on staten island briefly. you can't ride the same ferry boat both ways.

that's all right, i can get off anywhere at any time

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

how long did you last at this job

i was there for like ~5 years part time and then a little over 3 years full time before my position got axed by budget cuts

and yeah you'd think rather than send a blaring alert you'd just basically fuckin call the person at that point, but ~blackberry~

mishaq posted:

push to talk was/is the dumbest poo poo ever, especially when they pushed it toward consumers

i get some really limited use cases for it (large construction sites, uh...park rangers?) but i remember people having loud rear end conversations on the train and poo poo with that stuff

why would you do that and not just have a phone call in public on speakerphone at that point

yeah i remember being on some annoyingly long push to talk sessions where it's like "gently caress dude why didn't you just straight up call me"

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

a panini for me me! haha

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

you missed your stupid lunch thread by 93,768

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ahmeni posted:

the best support call I ever got was a guy with a lovely blackberry version who complained his data was slow because that awful iden network was pretty much stuck at dialup speeds

iirc iDEN plain had an absolute top end of around 25 kilobits per second and usually slower (i think a lot of the us the iDEN networks would usually be 10 kbps or lower?). the little deployed "wideband iDEN" went up to a blistering 100 kilobits theoretical, aka half of EDGE, in 2005.

mwanwhile typical GPRS connection could do between 55 and 110 kilobit for a good while beforehand.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
when new york presbyterian hospital switched from whatever old and working mail system they had to a shiny Azaleos cloud-hosted Exchange system back in 2012, literally the only phone platform permitted to connect to the mail system for the first few months was NYPH-issued Blackberries. there were some very, very unhappy people about that.

EDIT: oh yeah and users had no control over when they were migrated over and they couldn't migrate back if they "had" to have their non-blackberry working with email. that caused at least one meltdown that i got to witness.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

who are you and what did you do with fishmech

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Boxturret posted:

who are you and what did you do with fishmech

pretenting to "recall" facts and then copy/pasting wikipedia is still definitely fishmech

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
iden got shut down in the US like a year or two ago so that sprint can recycle the spectrum into fresh new bits

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

NO...HILLS...IN BROOKLYN

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
blavkberry

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
https://twitter.com/Remiel/status/20247588080

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
BlackBerry lovers will love Classic

BlackBerry Classic marks my fourth BlackBerry model, and as expected, it's the best one I have owned to date. Now, it's important to note off the top that BlackBerry Classic is a serious communications device and the best one on the market. It's not a toy. What Classic will do is make you more productive and efficient, especially if you're like me and you have to write and respond to others over various platforms. The Hub seamlessly integrates my five email addresses, texting and social media all into one feed and allows for one-touch delete of any unwanted messages. A simple swipe allows you to select a particular account if you need to find an old message in a specific account.
I got what I expected with BlackBerry - great battery life (so nice not to live attached to a charger again), comfortable design, responsive QWERTY keyboard and the best communications platform on the market - but it also provides some other touches that were not expected. For instance, when I jump into my car, BlackBerry assistant verbally welcomes me and reminds me what's on my schedule for the day. When you type "BB" in a text or email, it automatically changes it to what you meant - Blackberry. And the camera is better than I remember on previous BlackBerry models offering features for panorama photos and even photo bursts which is great for my kid's hockey games.
Now, if you had strayed like I did to Android or iPhone, when you come back not all of the apps will be available. I can't tell you how heartbreaking it has been for me to inform friends and some family that I can no longer indulge in SnapChat [/sarcasm]. Seriously, though, when it comes to apps, the Amazon store is great. I've found everything I want/need, including the Roku remote app that I thought for certain I would be leaving behind.
For the indoctrinated, I have no hesitation in suggesting BlackBerry Classic. For those who have never used Blackberry and are curious, I definitely suggest checking one out.To the haters, keep telling us how uncool we are .... if your battery isn't dead, that is ;-)

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

ffffffffffnnnnnnnnnnnnnnuuuuuuuuuuuuuushahahahahahahahahahahahah

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

cisco privilege posted:

When you type "BB" in a text or email, it automatically changes it to what you meant - Blackberry.

lmbo

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

you'll always be able to tell when the guy you're chatting with on grindr is a blackberry user

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
M/51/DC looking for BlackBerryW

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Mister Macys posted:

Imagine two small cities pretending they're a mid sized city, built on nothing but hills. Hills everywhere.
As hilly as Manhattan is flat.

Also Cambridge

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

uninterrupted posted:

you can just say blacksberry

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

graph posted:

ffffffffffnnnnnnnnnnnnnnuuuuuuuuuuuuuushahahahahahahahahahahahah

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Millstone posted:

Also Cambridge

Never been there.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
On the day of Apple announcements, Goldman Sachs downgraded the company to "sell" from "neutral" this morning.

http://www.thestreet.com/_nasdaq/st...=FREE&cm_ite=NA

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

https://typokeyboards.myshopify.com/

bbry should just sell keyboard cases and ui skins to quicken the inevitable

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bonzo posted:

On the day of Apple announcements, Goldman Sachs downgraded the company to "sell" from "neutral" this morning.

http://www.thestreet.com/_nasdaq/st...=FREE&cm_ite=NA

that's probably best for blackberry -- it's not going to make headlines today

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

OldAlias posted:

bbry should just sell keyboard cases and ui skins to quicken the inevitable
umm why would they want to dilute their prestigious brand with gimmicks

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

"Like fine wine, BlackBerry Passport gets better with age": actual headline

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I like the iPhone 6 Plus and my Android phones, but the BlackBerry Passport gets things done more efficiently and is a joy to use. Every time I pick up the Passport, I feel I have a rock solid phone in my hand that I know won't let me down.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pinterest Mom posted:

"Like fine wine, BlackBerry PassportStockholm gets better with age"

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
good one, woodhouse

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Pinterest Mom posted:

"Like fine wine, BlackBerry Passport gets better with age": actual headline
I like your positive reviews, Matt - but I'm feeling a bit of whiplash. In the last couple of weeks, I've read that the iPhone 6 is the best phone you've ever used, that you'll be getting an HTC One M9 because it may just be the best phone ever, and now the BB Passport is the best. ?? You're one person, unless you have some weird alternate-universe-overlap-of-doppelgangers thing, you CAN'T have enough differing use cases happening to explain this.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
It's refreshing to see positive reviews for once... I've had my passport since November, and it has proven to be the best phone I've ever used. As an MDM admin for a major Canadian hospital, I

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

Pinterest Mom posted:

I like the iPhone 6 Plus and my Android phones, but the BlackBerry Passport gets things done more efficiently and is a joy to use. Every time I pick up the Passport, I feel I have a rock solid phone in my hand that I know won't let me down.

a rock solid in my hand

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pinterest Mom posted:

rock solid, heart touching

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

fart touching

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/blackberry-releases-new-porsche-design-p-9983-graphite-1.2996720

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

wait, nobody posted the $2500 reskinned galaxy tab they're trying to sell?

quote:

BlackBerry has just revealed a new tablet, but don't worry, it's not a follow-up to the flop that was the company's PlayBook. It's called the SecuTablet, and it's basically a modified version of Samsung's Galaxy Tab S 10.5, albeit with a strong focus on data security. The device is a result of BlackBerry's purchase of security firm Secusmart last year, as well as a software partnership with IBM. The SecuTablet is part of BlackBerry's attempts to find success in targeting the corporate and government security sectors.

While it may have the outward appearance of a standard Galaxy Tab S, this tablet is not meant for everyday consumers, and it's $2,380 price tag makes that clear. The SecuTablet is built with a purpose of preventing sensitive data from leaking to the wild, and does so with voice and data encryption from a built-in Secusmart Security Card.

But that doesn't mean the tablet will be a boring, work-software-only kind of device. Typical entertainment and social apps like YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter can be installed on the SecuTablet without worry of security compromises. This is where IBM's software comes in, keeping secured apps and data isolated from personal items, including potentially malicious apps.

While the SecuTablet won't even run BlackBerry's OS, it is part of the company's renewed focus on security, much like the previous agreement with Samsung to strengthen the latter's Knox mobile security software, and the collaboration with Boeing on the self-destructing Black phone. All things considered, it sounds like a winning recipe to at least avoid the failures of the PlayBook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

no hardware keyboard, of course~

• Locked thread