Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PCOS Bill posted:

Updated 8:38 PM EDT Aug 13, 2012. The kid's either long-dead or long-learned-his-lesson (whether that be "shaped up" or "is in juvie")

Actually, he shot up a mall in Pittsburgh over the weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sagebrush posted:

Actually, he shot up a mall in Pittsburgh over the weekend.

Well, I guess I should have waited to make that post until after he goes to jail.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

xzzy posted:

The 100% pointless eco mode they've been putting on the Prius reverses everything.. jack poo poo happens until about 85% throttle at which point the car switches into "oh so you actually do want to accelerate? HERE YOU GO" and dumps every single bit of power it has to the tires.

I'm not sure what they were thinking when they added a button for that. There's certainly no engineering reason.. it's pure marketing.

Eco will turn the engine off sooner. In normal mode the engine will warm up to 130F before shutting off automatically for heat. In eco it's 110F. It will also turn down the AC.

But yes it does also remap the throttle in a very noticable way.

Supposedly sport mode gives you more VOLTS :science: but I haven't seen any evidence for that.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Fucknag posted:

I blame electronic throttles and non-linear fuel maps that open the butterfly 80% of the way at a quarter pedal. Some of these cars, you try and drive smoothly but the smallest possible foot movement results in the car surging forward until you back off. Then you mash the gas when you actually need power and it barely has any left to give.

My 2008 Sonata's throttle is kind of like this. It's not so bad in higher gears, but I hate it when I get stuck at a light behind one of those people who refuse to touch the gas pedal and I literally don't have enough throttle granularity to accelerate as slowly as they do, so I either have to let them get a huge head start or I have to keep pressing and releasing the gas pedal so I don't rear-end them. :argh:

Edit: It's even more fun when my engine is still cold and I get behind someone who actually accelerates slower than my car does at idle. :downs:

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Uthor posted:

This is totally true. If I don't up shift with my mom in the car, she freaks out that I'm driving too fast. If I am speeding in the highest gear and everything is quiet, she has no problems.

I once got screamed at by some guy from his yard for basically this reason. I was giving a friend a ride home in high school and when I went to make the left into his neighborhood I chirped the tires a little (pickup with an empty bed + stick). Then stayed in first for a couple seconds at ~20mph which must have sounded fast to this guy because he started to scream at me about speeding.

My mom would get mad when I would floor it in her '96 4.3 Blazer and made it kick down because "I was going to break something". Do the exact same thing now in her EB Escape and she doesn't even notice.

It was warm out today after snowing a lot the past few weeks and I was behind no less than three cars with covered back windows from snow that was clearly on their roof yesterday.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Is Russia launching nuclear warheads at us? 7 mile trip home was like some Mad Max poo poo, people not happy with anyone driving the speed limit, MUST GO 70 MPH FOR ONE BLOCK TO GET TO RED LIGHT! It was like 1 psychopathic piece of poo poo per mile, I'm gonna smoke weed about it.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 4, 2020

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Extra posted:

Back in high school some dude walking his dog was hooting and hollering when I was going all of 15 mph down a street in a loving 119hp 3500lb ford ranger which could barely manage going up a slight grade at 55 mph.

I'm guessing it was because it made a poo poo ton of noise at 230,000+ miles going all of slow as gently caress. Couldn't help but laugh and slow down while watching some guy wave his hands in a big gesticulated motion with the most concerned look on his face.

There was a douchebag on my parents' street who always did this when I was in high school. He also had a school zone sign printed on a sandwich board with "Children Playing" underneath, which he was wont to put on his driveway. Until the day he moved, I downshifted every single time I went by his house -- but I never sped.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Every time I see one of those "drive like your children live here" signs I'm tempted to stop and do a rolling burnout while waving wildly ala Australian burnout competitors. Because if I ever have kids you can drat well bet I'm doing burnouts for them.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
On the other hand, people in the neighborhood drive 40 with their high beams on all the time here and it pisses me off. Someone managed to hit and kill a deer a few years ago. On a 25mph street.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Is Russia launching nuclear warheads at us? 7 mile trip home was like some Mad Max poo poo, people not happy with anyone driving the speed limit, MUST GO 70 MPH FOR ONE BLOCK TO GET TO RED LIGHT! It was like 1 psychopathic piece of poo poo per mile, I'm gonna smoke weed about it.

These people drive me loving nuts too. they're too stupid to realize they're wasting gas and not getting anywhere any faster.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Being in the ghetto we have a combination of people doing 50 because they give no fucks, 10 because they give no fucks, riding dirt bikes at WOT because they give no fucks, ATVs on the streets because they give no fucks... and yet there's only the occasional "drunk guy in a van hits an entire line of parked cars and flees the police"

I love home.

Nightflame
Aug 1, 2013
first roadrager i've had ... (only been licensed afew years)

sits up my car's rear end for about 5 minutes while traffics flowing, then cuts me off in thick traffic, barely missing the front of my car.

then moves into the breakdown lane and gets alongside me.

and starts whacking my car with a cricket bat... while driving at about 70km's an hour... on a busy freeway in just after 5pm traffic.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

kastein posted:

Every time I see one of those "drive like your children live here" signs I'm tempted to stop and do a rolling burnout while waving wildly ala Australian burnout competitors. Because if I ever have kids you can drat well bet I'm doing burnouts for them.

I downshift and punch it because a) my kids like loud, fast things, and b) I taught them to stay out of the loving street.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

BraveUlysses posted:

These people drive me loving nuts too. they're too stupid to realize they're wasting gas and not getting anywhere any faster.

The best is people with "sports" cars in downtown Denver. Like, woah, bro, nice WOT for a half second as you reach the red light at the next block. So cool. Hope you like single digit MPG as well.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

This morning I was behind a car that was tailgating the hell out of a semi in the passing lane. The trucker got over as soon as he could but there was another slow car in the right lane and he started losing steam. Seeing this, I gave him space to get back into the left in front of me and flashed my lights. He could barely believe it and got over while flashing all his trailer lights, and got back up to 74 which is pretty good for a truck (I had only been doing 75 myself) and we passed a bunch of slow traffic to get to open road. Then when I eventually went past him he waved and flashed his lights again. It felt... good? :unsmith:

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

Nightflame posted:

sits up my car's rear end for about 5 minutes while traffics flowing, then cuts me off in thick traffic, barely missing the front of my car.

and starts whacking my car with a cricket bat... while driving at about 70km's an hour... on a busy freeway in just after 5pm traffic.

Lmao what the gently caress?? You could drive your whole life and never get beat with a bat while on the move Jesus Christ. What did you do?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

eriddy posted:

What did you do?

With the kind of person who would smash someone's car with a cricket bat while driving, I would guess "existing in his universe."

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

From the Schandenfreude thread in PYF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5ahIVoQ9ME

:allears:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
That's what you get driving on the wrong side of the road.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Unsure if completely retarded or just no respect for the law. Either way, they shouldn't be on the road.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I'd bet either foreign or drunk.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
Read the description.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's now how you do it

this is the proper way.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Powershift posted:

That's now how you do it

this is the proper way.

"I have made a terrible mistake"

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eFQbhkrfZE

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Quality video.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Nightflame posted:

I remember a road rager thought I'd cut him off in a parking lot, then preceded to block me in after I parked and tried to open my car door (which was fortunately locked). So I started reaching under the seat and rifling through the glovebox (to grab a knife I usually kept in the car). The guy quickly figured I was reaching a gun and promptly hosed off.

My temperament is a bit too volatile for me to go carrying a gun around, so I don't own one, which was good for that guy, I guess.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

God drat it.

I'm driving home tonight, getting off the freeway because there's a traffic jam up ahead, another guy gets the same idea. Exit ramp is backed up, I'm sitting in line.

He drives over the goddamn median (shoulder?) into the side of my Mustang. Like, pulls along side, makes like he's going to merge in, then literally attempts to merge in.

rear end. Hole.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I honked at a guy for sitting at a green light, so he proceeds to drive 10-15 under the speed limit and drop his speed/speed up. I laughed, flipped him off, and turned on a different street.

Also, if you're in Portland, try to zipper merge on the Steel Bridge after 5 o'clock. It's so much fun.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I've been driving a Suburban for work the last few days and everyone let's you in. Compared to the Miata this is great. 70k road tank owns.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Driving in to work today, and there was a train/vehicle collision that ended up with the train blocking three major east/west routes at surface crossings. I had to double back at an intersection, as many people were, to get an alternate route. However some people just weren't patient enough to get to the intersection to turn around, and tried crossing the wide, sunken median between the east and west lanes.

This is in Winnipeg, in winter. We just had a good foot of snow in the last three days. I saw no less than three cars stuck in the median spinning their all-season tires helplessly.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
How are there so many train/car accidents? It's a loving train. It's pretty obvious where it's going to be, and they aren't exactly small.

One day in Calgary last year, we had no fewer than three accidents involving cars running into trains on the same day.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

How are there so many train/car accidents? It's a loving train. It's pretty obvious where it's going to be, and they aren't exactly small.

One day in Calgary last year, we had no fewer than three accidents involving cars running into trains on the same day.

I have no clue. During the drive in they were saying there was a separate vehicle/train collision on the highway just outside of the city and that the car was currently on fire. I haven't been able to find a link to confirm that though so I left it out of the post. It wouldn't surprise me if it was true because *idiots*.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Probably the majority of them are assholes who stop on the tracks at red lights instead of taking a iota of though processing and stopping before the tracks.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Here I hear that most train/car accidents are at level crossings.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

nsaP posted:

Here I hear that most train/car accidents are at level crossings.

I hear that most drownings occur near water.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Wednesday evening I was getting on the highway to run out to Monroeville from the west side of Pittsburgh, I'm 1/2 way into the travel lane at the end of the merge point disappearing when the woman who was in the lane I was entering, behind me a few car lengths back, suddenly decides NUH UH THAT AIN'T HAPPENING and comes flying up next to me from two car lengths back and trying to push me back out of the lane and into the shoulder, bumper almost brushing the car ahead of us a few times, laying on her horn the whole time.

The guy in the left travel lane wasn't very impressed either, and had to basically stand on his brake to get out of her way when she pulled her act of crazy.

Of course in the end I outcrazied her and held the lane while she eventually dropped back with her high beams on and laying on her horn for a mile at 15mph

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

PT6A posted:

This one will always be my favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
There was one that I saw on my way to work a couple of years ago. A Marta bus got hit by a train a couple of blocks from my apartment.

http://ajc.com/news/news/local/marta-bus-hit-by-train-in-decatur-no-injuries/nXyxz/

The driver said she got stuck on the level crossing. Given the intersection where it's at, I am not surprised.