Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I am currently working in a literal nightmare of a home. I will try to get some photos because it is horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I think the evil house got him :ohdear:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

GenericOverusedName posted:

I think the evil house got him :ohdear:

Was it a... DOOM HOUSE???

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
No, I actually got pleuritis. I don't think it was related to the house, but I did miss work. I took some pictures of the mess that was holding up the kitchen floor, I'll get them up later. But I am ninety percent convinced the house is made of driftwood and I think the kitchen was like 50 percent loadbearing plumbing.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
Stolen from yospos pics thread

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

streetlamp posted:

I don't like doing that with 12/24v ... goddamn

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

streetlamp posted:

What confuses me about the first picture is a suspicious lack of scorch marks. I don't think that's real. Someone must be playing a prank.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
The white wire is cut and hanging out of the drill cord a few inches from the plug, it couldn't work?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It's not cut, it spirals around the back of the cable. Sure looks cut at first glance though.

That is deeply unsettling. I don't really want that anywhere near me in fact.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Christ that's making me uncomfortable just looking at the picture :gonk:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

streetlamp posted:

:nsavince: Jesus christ, why do people think trying to pull a fast one on electricity is a good idea.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kitfox88 posted:

:nsavince: Jesus christ, why do people think trying to pull a fast one on electricity is a good idea.

Because eh, what's the worst that can happen?

Have a friend like this-handy as all hell, he is the guy in my group to go to to fix pretty much anything at any time. Car not starting at 4 AM two states over? sure, be there in a sec, type. But his tools and his methods are.... not so good. Splicing in wires while there's current running? Hey, if we have to start it every time we need to check the connection, it'll take too long! Circular saw with about an inch of insulation stripped in the middle of the power cord, that always lands right next to the blade? No worries, it won't touch! Oh look it's in a puddle and the saw's smoking a bit. gently caress it! what, are we gonna wait for it to dry out?

Every time me and him are working on something I feel like an utter bitch cause i'm wearing goggles and gloves and poo poo... then I remember that I do actually like seeing things.

Not a crappy construction tale, because the guy overbuilds everything to hell and back, but goddamn every second it feels like something's going to explode or otherwise horribly maim one of us.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 10, 2015

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
this is how this works, right?

this is what was holding up the kitchen floor. the brown wood is what was waiting for us when we ripped it up.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love the little shim on the bottom right.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Looks like it was built as a trampoline.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
It's a feature. Who doesn't want a kitchen that puts a little more bounce in your step?

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Is that a load-bearing level?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Looks like home :allears:

Welcome to the lovely old house with lovely old sistered joists club :respek:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

The Human Cow posted:

Is that a load-bearing level?

I'll find one, somewhere in here.

kastein posted:

Looks like home :allears:

Welcome to the lovely old house with lovely old sistered joists club :respek:

Thankfully I am never living here, just working on it for a family friend. But still.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Things you don't like to see in your 50' bow truss:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sloppy posted:

Things you don't like to see in your 50' bow truss:

Took me a second to realize those weren't two separate pictures of two separate trusses and in fact one really bad picture :stare:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am9BqZ6eA5c

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Probably the best place to ask, tomorrow I'm going to go see a newly built house, apart from the obvious, any pointers to spotting shoddy workmanship?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Cakefool posted:

Probably the best place to ask, tomorrow I'm going to go see a newly built house, apart from the obvious, any pointers to spotting shoddy workmanship?

Take a measuring tape and measure the appliance gaps in the kitchen. You wouldn't believe how many kitchen guys make the space so tight you need to grease you appliances before you slide them in.

Also look at the toilets and see if the gap between the tank and wall is there.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ColHannibal posted:

space so tight you need to grease you appliances before you slide them in.

:wiggle:

sorry

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cakefool posted:

Bring a carpenters level and square, apply to every surface you can, including using the level as a straightedge, and be amazed that they managed to get the loving thing to support its own weight.

My buddy's house doesn't have a level floor, plumb wall, or 90° angle in the entire loving thing. The two bay windows have eight entirely different angles, between them. I don't think the front panes are even parallel to the front walls of the house.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Run a finger across the paint and see if it comes away dusty. From experience, I know how loving cheap most builders are on their interior finishes. Same on any hardwood, look for swirls where they made up for lovely prep sanding by spraying urethane thick.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Hire that guy who made the manual for the house after doing the inspection, holy poo poo.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Real reassuring guys, thanks.

Yeah, I'm prepared for it to be disappointing, but those are good.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
Bring a good flashlight to look in dark areas.

Fill sinks and tubs with water to see if they leak (found a bad hose clamp in my place by doing this)

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Laminator posted:

Bring a good flashlight to look in dark areas.

Fill sinks and tubs with water to see if they leak (found a bad hose clamp in my place by doing this)

Also you get to see if the water pressure is lovely or the drains are slow.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

NancyPants posted:

Also you get to see if the water pressure is lovely or the drains are slow.

Comedy possibility, I saw a home in Homestead once with a bathtub that was installed backwards, with the drain side upslope from the other end, so it perpetually had two inches of water in it.

:v:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Also, take along an electric socket checker. They're cheap, fit in your pocket, and you'd be surprised how many times sockets are miswired.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Cakefool posted:

Real reassuring guys, thanks.

Yeah, I'm prepared for it to be disappointing, but those are good.

Every house is going to have problems -- or at least, the ones that don't have problems are probably going to cost a lot more. But some problems are a lot harder to fix than others.

MrPete
May 17, 2007
You guys might enjoy this. Bloke is restoring a ~600 year old house in Germany. Seems like it's been held up with structural plaster for a while :O

timber frame 3

there are also parts 1 & 2

he has some really awesome drawings and models to explains what he's doing too

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thats pretty great. Also RIP his ears, didnt notice any hearing protection used while he did any of that sawing/hammering work.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Okay, there were three houses, we were only interested in 2 due to the positions on-site. Neither had 2nd fix yet but what we could see of the exposed wiring and plumbing was actually reassuring, not messy or tight(tails not too short etc)Appliances & bathroom furniture & cabinetry going in was good stuff. Insulation being installed was good (& deep in the attic). Exposed roof structure in the garage was very good, about the best I've seen in terms of decent timber, neat angles, general fit & finish. Paint on the walls was decent but matt, we have sticky children so I can see some silk going on later.

Walls were straight, right angles everywhere, plumbing looked like someone cared. I'm impressed, we're going to go for it. I'll be more invasive when we go back & 2nd fix is done.

I'm amazed basically.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Cakefool posted:

Walls were straight, right angles everywhere, plumbing looked like someone cared. I'm impressed, we're going to go for it. I'll be more invasive when we go back & 2nd fix is done.

Still get a paid inspector to look at the house. In fact, try to get them to inspect it before everything gets sealed up, if possible. "Going for it" should not be decided without an expert opinion.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm in the UK so inspections & searches happen after an offer is made to secure the property, but before money changes hands. I could hire an additional inspector but there's little benefit at this point. I'll definitely have it inspected though, can't imagine spending more than 4 times my annual wage on something without an expert weighing in.

I'm trying not to get carried away though, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That's how it works in the US, too: you make an offer contingent upon a number of factors, such as the results of the inspection, successfully getting a loan, etc.