Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

bman in 2288 posted:

So, as a Shulk main, how to I successfully defeat a Captain Falcon that's got his perfect pivot down and has an incredible rush-down game?
Master your perfect pivot and learn to play at his speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

bman in 2288 posted:

So, as a Shulk main, how to I successfully defeat a Captain Falcon that's got his perfect pivot down and has an incredible rush-down game?

You probably dont.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

bman in 2288 posted:

How good is his taunt game? Shulk is one of the few characters with a taunt game close to Captain Falcon's (not equal, of course, because Captain Falcon's taunt game is the best now and forever). You must beat him in that area to win. Whenever he tells you to show him your moves, you must point out how you're really feeling it. If he doesn't, make sure to make him know that now it's Shulk time. And when you obtain victory, scream loud and clear that that is the Monado's power.

Remember: taunts are what truly matter in this world.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Master your perfect pivot and learn to play at his speed.

I can't practice, he can (he has WiiU). This guy (who is my friend) is much better at reading and baiting than I am. It seems nearly all my moves come out too slow against him.

But my taunt game is so much better than his.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

bman in 2288 posted:

I can't practice, he can (he has WiiU). This guy (who is my friend) is much better at reading and baiting than I am. It seems nearly all my moves come out too slow against him.

But my taunt game is so much better than his.
Then you're probably not going to beat him.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Then you're probably not going to beat him.

...I need more training...

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

bman in 2288 posted:

You just gotta be really feelin' it, man. then you will beat him!

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
You should 1v1 me; I will teach you to show your moves, and to really feel it.

I will await your friend request in my dojo, #goonsmash

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

bman in 2288 posted:

I can't practice, he can (he has WiiU).

This is the actual reason you're losing

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Of the 5 big and slow characters - DK, Ganondorf, Charizard, Bowser, and Dedede - which do people feel is most competitive? Or if not competitive, at least somewhat able to defend themselves from the small and fast characters like Sheik etc.? I have been getting housed with Ganon, DK is a little better... Switching to Zero Suit Samus seems to make me a much better player even though I only spend a fraction of the time playing that character. It's frustrating how much easier it is to play with the fast characters though.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

bman in 2288 posted:

Buy a wii u, smash and a controller just to beat him!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Smashing Link posted:

Of the 5 big and slow characters - DK, Ganondorf, Charizard, Bowser, and Dedede - which do people feel is most competitive? Or if not competitive, at least somewhat able to defend themselves from the small and fast characters like Sheik etc.? I have been getting housed with Ganon, DK is a little better... Switching to Zero Suit Samus seems to make me a much better player even though I only spend a fraction of the time playing that character. It's frustrating how much easier it is to play with the fast characters though.

That's just a symptom of how Smash plays. Fast, small characters have been top dog in literally every Smash since 64.

Slower characters tend to be at the bottom. :v:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Smashing Link posted:

I crush ninja's and hedgehogs with Dedede's hammer all the time so I vote for him.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

TheKingofSprings posted:

That's just a symptom of how Smash plays. Fast, small characters have been top dog in literally every Smash since 64.

Slower characters tend to be at the bottom. :v:

but the slow characters are actually good in this game. Ganondorf is particularly good at demolishing someone in like three hits.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

How Rude posted:

but the slow characters are actually good in this game. Ganondorf is particularly good at demolishing someone in like three hits.

That doesn't really help them if they can't actually touch their speedier opponents that attack way faster.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

ChaosArgate posted:

That doesn't really help them if they can't actually touch their speedier opponents that attack way faster.

You just have to wait for them to make a mistake, and punish them.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Smashing Link posted:

Bowser and Dedede are the best out of that group, but they're all viable. Compare just about every character in this game with ZSS and you'll end up disappointed, considering she's one of the best in the game and one of the easiest to play.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

How Rude posted:

You just have to wait for them to make a mistake, and punish them.

A character that's only good when you have good reads isn't really good at all.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

How Rude posted:

all 3 of those hits which need to be hard reads since everything comes out so slow and his pants making GBS threads run doesnt help and his landing lag is terrible

meanwhile the (probably) ranged character can spam projectiles at you slowly clunking ganondorf up to high %'s and shield and dodge whenever they see him busting a move a mile away

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ruggington posted:

Bowser and Dedede are the best out of that group, but they're all viable. Compare just about every character in this game with ZSS and you'll end up disappointed, considering she's one of the best in the game and one of the easiest to play.

In order of those heavies, from most to least viable, I'd say DeDeDe, DK, Bowser, Ganondorf, and Charizard. DK and Bowser are very close. I'm only choosing DK because I haven't seen a Bowser as good as some DKs I've seen.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheKingofSprings posted:

A character that's only good when you have good reads isn't really good at all.

Dis.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

If you're the only one who owns the game in your group of friends, the onus is on you to select random for every match.

It is the honorable way. :colbert:

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
I'm sorry you guys hate having fun so much as to not choose a character because they are seen as bad, when in fact they are fun and good.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Dedede is good against fast characters because he can zone people out really well with his gordos and has an extremely quick nair with virtually no landing lag. Also his forward tilt and jab combo with the disjointed hitbox.

But I beat Sonics with Ganondorf all the time. Unless you're playing at a hyper competitive level (like tournaments) then tier don't really matter that much imo. Just play who you like and get good at them and you can beat any character.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
My biggest complaint with DK is that compared to Melee, smash attacks seem to have significantly reduced range.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

PantsBandit posted:

Dedede is good against fast characters because he can zone people out really well with his gordos and has an extremely quick nair with virtually no landing lag. Also his forward tilt and jab combo with the disjointed hitbox.

But I beat Sonics with Ganondorf all the time. Unless you're playing at a hyper competitive level (like tournaments) then tier don't really matter that much imo. Just play who you like and get good at them and you can beat any character.

even in competitive level tournaments people have picked Kirby in Melee and Ganondorf in Brawl and won so it's all mostly anecdotal whether a character is good or not.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

How Rude posted:

even in competitive level tournaments people have picked Kirby in Melee and Ganondorf in Brawl and won so it's all mostly anecdotal whether a character is good or not.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=blsY7fX3LvU this is the kind of scenario where that happens

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

How Rude posted:

I can't vouch for Brawl but if you could show me where a Kirby has ever placed well in recent Melee tournaments

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

I can't vouch for Brawl but if you could show me where a Kirby has ever placed well in recent Melee tournaments

Go watch ChuDat

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

TheKingofSprings posted:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=blsY7fX3LvU this is the kind of scenario where that happens

Holy poo poo the youtube comments, all the smash bros autists are trying to quantify character choices in a fighting game as disrespectful because someone picked a character that is considered the worst and won. "But Shiek is BETTER you MUST PICK HER if you are a SERIOUS COMPETITIVE PLAYER :qq:"

what happened to picking what you like and doing well with it in a video game, geez

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

How Rude posted:

what happened to picking what you like and doing well with it in a video game, geez

Welcome to eSports.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

ChaosArgate posted:

Welcome to eSports.

well, wouldn't it be more logical and like, not completely autistic to say that the person picking a "joke" character beating someone picking a totally "good" character is better at the game then? It's a fighting game, I thought you just played what you specialized in, not what the majority of players agreed were the best.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

that's why they said it, mew2king is way better than the other guy and pichu is really bad. kinda like playing a game left handed because you think you're that much better than the other guy

other guy should just get good though

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

How Rude posted:

You should try playing an online fighting game where the other player can see who you pick. I've played some games online where loads of players refuse to pick their character until after you do.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Sudo Echo posted:

Go watch ChuDat

That's only Brawl and PM (and Smash 4?). In Melee he plays Ice Climbers.

Mango has an amazing Kirby, which he uses to sandbag sometimes, but it doesn't stand a chance in tournament.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxcRCpsMwjo

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

How Rude posted:

well, wouldn't it be more logical and like, not completely autistic to say that the person picking a "joke" character beating someone picking a totally "good" character is better at the game then? It's a fighting game, I thought you just played what you specialized in, not what the majority of players agreed were the best.

M2K is better than all of 20 people on the planet at Smash Bros. Melee.

Because he is not necessarily better than those 20 people, if he wants to win a tournament he must play as characters with particular advantages.

E: and there are people who play specialized characters, google AMSa's Yoshi sometime.

Reksi
Sep 26, 2007

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Alright, so, question. If Shulk is throwing out counters constantly, is there any way to punish him?
I'm late to this, but one thing to add to others' advice: if you land Ganondorf's side-B on Shulk, you can Dtilt him for free unless he techs. This is true of a large portion of the cast. It does pretty nice damage and will kill Shulk somewhere around 130% if he doesn't have his shield art active.

mabels big day posted:

In order of those heavies, from most to least viable, I'd say DeDeDe, DK, Bowser, Ganondorf, and Charizard. DK and Bowser are very close. I'm only choosing DK because I haven't seen a Bowser as good as some DKs I've seen.
This but DK/Bowser/dorf are all pretty close together. If you're playing with customs Ganondorf pulls slightly ahead of the pack IMO because Wizard Dropkick is so drat good.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

How Rude posted:

Holy poo poo the youtube comments, all the smash bros autists are trying to quantify character choices in a fighting game as disrespectful because someone picked a character that is considered the worst and won. "But Shiek is BETTER you MUST PICK HER if you are a SERIOUS COMPETITIVE PLAYER :qq:"

lol

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Sudo Echo posted:

Go watch ChuDat

Or Triple R.

He's still bad because he plays Kirby but he's probably the single best dedicated Kirby main still playing.

Leffen once won a whole swedish tournament playing Pichu with a level 1 cpu as a partner in doubles. That was pretty funny. Not sure if it was a big tournament or was recorded but he posted about it on twitter a few months back.

Edit: Dedede is very dangerous to play against any character with a disjointed hitbox because his gordos can be smacked right back into his face and there isn't a whole lot he can do about it.

laplace fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

laplace posted:

Or Triple R.

He's still bad because he plays Kirby but he's probably the single best dedicated Kirby main still playing.

Leffen once won a whole swedish tournament playing Pichu with a level 1 cpu as a partner in doubles. That was pretty funny. Not sure if it was a big tournament or was recorded but he posted about it on twitter a few months back.

Edit: Dedede is very dangerous to play against any character with a disjointed hitbox because his gordos can be smacked right back into his face and there isn't a whole lot he can do about it.

See people always say that but if you're using your gordos as a pure projectile instead of as a zoning tool then you're just playing dedede wrong. You shouldn't give them the chance to hit them back and if it seems like they will you just need to be ready for it.

• Locked thread