Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

xzzy posted:

Deer are just really big rats, give them the same level of consideration you would any small rodent.

I would take photos of really big rats too, but we "don't have" rats in Alberta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
The "no rats" thing in Alberta is hilarious.

Deer really are just big vegetarian rats, but the thing about their size is they can kill you if you hit one with your car - and on a motorcycle they're basically walking death monsters if you're riding at night. Pretty, though.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
They taste good, too. Presumably better than an actual rat.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Kenshin posted:

They taste good, too. Presumably better than an actual rat.

I don't know, I've had woodrat and it wasn't bad...

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

for the benefit of any Antipodeans like Slavvy, deer=kangaroos. I know you don't have those either, but they're probably more familiar.

As for actual giant rodents: I found these guys snacking in a Toronto park the other day!

Beaver(s)! by kingdugga, on Flickr

Beaver! by kingdugga, on Flickr

P1030826.jpg by kingdugga, on Flickr

P1030821.jpg by kingdugga, on Flickr

Beaver! by kingdugga, on Flickr

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Those beavers are amazing, how close do they let you get?

And yeah comparing them to roos makes sense because they're both idiot animals who happily leap into the path of your vehicle AFAIK.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Those beavers are amazing, how close do they let you get?

And yeah comparing them to roos makes sense because they're both idiot animals who happily leap into the path of your vehicle AFAIK.

We were probably around 20m (66') from them, roughly. Possibly a little closer. They have notoriously bad eyesight, but they were definitely Not Bothered. They were moving pretty slowly too, like they'd woken up from a deep sleep, which they probably had. It was in an urban park, so they are probably used to people coming and going.

e- Bonus GIF!

(moving about twice as fast as real life)

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 13, 2015

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

ExecuDork posted:

The "no rats" thing in Alberta is hilarious.

Deer really are just big vegetarian rats, but the thing about their size is they can kill you if you hit one with your car - and on a motorcycle they're basically walking death monsters if you're riding at night. Pretty, though.
I like photographing deer too, sadly they're the only wild land mammal of size we have left in Britain ('they taste nice' being the only reason the landed gentry didn't also wipe them out). That, and seals on the beach. What I would give for bears and wolves. Or even lynx.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wolves I'm cool with but gently caress bears. Most of the places I have any chance of ever encountering a bear has a strict no firearms policy, which means that's the end of my genetic line.

At least with a wolf I have a tiny chance of coming out on top. At least until his buddies show up to finish me off.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Linedance posted:

e- Bonus GIF!

(moving about twice as fast as real life)

Merrily on it's way to back up a river and cause massive flood damage to your house.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

Wolves I'm cool with but gently caress bears. Most of the places I have any chance of ever encountering a bear has a strict no firearms policy, which means that's the end of my genetic line.

At least with a wolf I have a tiny chance of coming out on top. At least until his buddies show up to finish me off.
I've photographed bears from hides in Finland, but near the top of my bucket list is to photography bears at Lake Clarke.

http://www.dannygreenphotography.com/pages/blog.php

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Wildlife Photography: rear end in a top hat Animals making GBS threads Up Nature

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Talking of which,
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ouse-punch.html

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I really like my new Tamron 150-600mm lens.
This shot is at ISO 3200 on my Nikon D3200.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I apologize in advance for this corny Valentine's Day picture:

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

More boring deer

Neighborhood deer by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

DSC_6283.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Deer munching by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They look like they'd be a tremendous nuisance if you want to nip down to the shops or something.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Slavvy posted:

They look like they'd be a tremendous nuisance if you want to nip down to the shops or something.

In my experience deer in town don't give a gently caress about you.

source: all the deer watching people stumble around to and from the bar in town here.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

They don't really care. The main issue is that they run out in front of traffic and ruin cars. When I'm photographing them the number one thing I'm worried about is spooking them into traffic.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Cow Elk Alone 1926 on Flickr

This is close to a 100% crop from a Tamron 150-600 (with some work in post as well).

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Slavvy posted:

I find it a little worrying that a deer is able to get that close to a building. Do they go through your trash and stuff?

Disclaimer: never seen a deer.

They suck. I have bear, mountain lion, deer and elk in my neighborhood. The bears will sometimes get in the trash, and the mountain lion could take one of my dogs, but the loving deer destroy any garden plants, and any bird feeders every day. I don't like hunting, but I'm ready to start throwing sharp tools at the deer. My hunting dog (English pointer) loving frolicks with them instead of chasing them off. Fear the deer.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

torgeaux posted:

My hunting dog (English pointer) loving frolicks with them instead of chasing them off.
:3: We're going to need to see some pictures of this. Video, too. :3:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

So has anyone else deluded themselves by entering Wildlife Photographer of the Year?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ExecuDork posted:

Sure, spread my shame. I'll work on it, but it's late night photography.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

Black-Handed Spider Monkey by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

Blue-Bellied Roller by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

Hippopotamus by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

Mongoose Lemur by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

White-Faced Saki by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ExecuDork posted:

No video. He was trying to get the drat thing to play when it "attacked" him (lowered antlers and took one step towards him). He fled, and is now terrified. This picture was us forcing him to move into the yard after the deer, who ran when I approached.

The Dog Goes Hunting by torgeaux, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
/\/\ Thanks!

Baby Bison at the small end of the large enclosure at Buffalo Pound Provincial Park, Saskatchewan
SD 140 48 by Execudork, on Flickr
SD 140 49 by Execudork, on Flickr

Apologies for the fence. It was there to protect me, from guys like this:
SD 140 47 by Execudork, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Unless that fence is electrified it's not going to stop that guy if he wants to go through it.

Even if it is it might not stop him. Buffalo are tough.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I was going to say the same. That doesn't look like anywhere near a strong enough fence to keep an adult male buffalo from waltzing right through without hardly noticing.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Absolutely correct. There are signs around in the park that basically make the same point - the bison get used to the fences and don't challenge them - but please don't provoke the animals, sometimes they do lose their tempers. The fences are at least as much about keeping people out of the bisons' area, other, bigger signs state "STAY OUT! BISON ARE COMPLETELY UNPREDICTABLE!". I don't know how effective the signs are but the fences are considerably larger than the privately-owned fences in surrounding agricultural areas that most Saskatcheweeners get used to climbing over pretty quickly.

The first time a young bison pushes on a fence, it holds and it's not particularly comfortable (the fences are not electric). They learn that there's no point to it, and don't bother anymore. Cattle and barbed-wire fences work the same way - a bull could easily annihilate any fence, or jump over something only 4 feet tall. But they've had fences around them since they were born and they don't push it. I've seen a calf that found a way through a gap in a fence trying to get back in to mom, with mom following the calf on her side of the fence. She weighs something like 1000 pounds but she didn't even touch the fence.

I gather that every once in a while an adult falls asleep next to the fence and rolls into it or stumbled when they stand up, accidentally knocking out a section. Sometimes they walk through the gap, sometimes they don't. Large herbivore psychology is almost entirely made of lazy habits acquired when very young.

beta
May 6, 2007
It ends here.

Met this guy yesternight in the yard.

Only a small one, two meters or so. What surprised me was how sluggish and stupid they are. Had a rough time of gitting it from pestering the dogs.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What a snaggletooth smile!

Mule deer.
Red Canyon Mulies 2015 1947 on Flickr

Red Canyon Mule w redrocks 1948 on Flickr

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

Squirrel by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Trying out my new D7100. Couldn't find any birds, so this squirrel will have to do.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I also took a picture of a squirrel. It's a bit warmer here in Seattle, I think.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

He's just sleeping right?

Right?

:ohdear:

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I can't say I tried to shake him awake but I can say he didn't have any eyes.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
WildDeath Photography.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

A lone river otter came to fish in Arcata Marsh's brackish pond yesterday.

otter-approach by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

otter-face by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TonySnow
Mar 24, 2008
Iditarod is in Fairbanks this year. Just look at these doggies.

IMG_9451.jpg

IMG_9462.jpg

IMG_9514.jpg

IMG_9526.jpg