Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Duck and burger posted:

My 6+ crashes to safe mode like 1/8 times I use TouchID. Is this a known problem with any particular tweak? Can't seem to find any corroboration of this.

Are you using BioProtect, BioLockdown, TouchID Everywhere, iTouchSecure, etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food.
Hey just quickly...I'm on IOS 8.0 on my 5s and I think my ipads are as well. I know there's no issues jailbreaking on these as they are but am I correct in my understanding that I can no long update to 8.1.2 if I wanted to jailbreak? I kept putting it off and I'm glad of sorts but there are some things 8.1 fixed that 8.0 broke. In the past I was always able to just update to the most recent jailbreakable version then go for it from there...I take it this is not the case anymore?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
8.1.2 is jailbreakable. 8.1.3., which is the current version, is not.

I think Apple is still signing 8.1.2, which means you can download the IPSW off the web and do a shift-restore to that.

If Apple isn't signing, then you're screwed.

Hopefully someone can tell you for sure.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
8.1.2 is no longer being signed as of last night

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food.
Well poo poo. Thanks. Let's hope the rumors about the 8.1.3 jailbreak being close are true.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

spongeworthy posted:

Are you using BioProtect, BioLockdown, TouchID Everywhere, iTouchSecure, etc?

Nope! It got worse for a minute, and then stopped happening entirely. Hm. Other than that, 8.1.2 JB seems pretty great so far. Now I just gotta wait for Retroarch video/controls to fit 1080x1920.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Shachi posted:

Well poo poo. Thanks. Let's hope the rumors about the 8.1.3 jailbreak being close are true.

Worst case I'd imagine would be having to wait a couple months for 8.2.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I've just started having to tether my phone to my work PC a lot.

Some questions:
-Can anyone recommend something to turn tethering off and on a lot? I tried cccontrols but its toggle for personal hotspot doesn't work.
-Is there a tweak that will let me leave wifi on, tether over USB, without the phone becoming a WAP and getting super hot?
-Has NoAnnoyance been fixed for IOS* or is there a replacement. I KNOW MY GODDAMN WIFI IS OFF.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

~Coxy posted:

I've just started having to tether my phone to my work PC a lot.

Some questions:
-Can anyone recommend something to turn tethering off and on a lot? I tried cccontrols but its toggle for personal hotspot doesn't work.
-Is there a tweak that will let me leave wifi on, tether over USB, without the phone becoming a WAP and getting super hot?
-Has NoAnnoyance been fixed for IOS* or is there a replacement. I KNOW MY GODDAMN WIFI IS OFF.

I know that MyWi lets you turn your phone into a WiFi antenna, I think that's what you mean?

It's stupidly expensive so maybe one of the cheaper options (Tether, and there's another one iirc) does the same thing

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Can anybody give me a status report on their jailbroken iPhone 6+ and/or iPad Air 2?

I've jailbroken on older iOS devices, and iOS 8 has most features that I need, however I do enjoy emulators every now and again and would be the primary reason for jailbreaking. I know you can resign IPAs and stuff to use emulators on non-jailbroken devices, but I believe they run much, much slower because of JIT compiling (or something?)

Anyways, QuickActivator also sounds awesome for the iPhone to add toggles, etc.

I'm mostly worried about slowdown because both devices are quite fast (especially the iPad Air 2), and I really don't want to slow them down what-so-ever.

FAKE-EDIT: Are there any technical details on how the jailbreak works? That might put my mind at ease if I could read exactly what gets changed and what problems it might cause, etc.

Vinlaen fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Feb 12, 2015

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My 6 has been jailbroken for like a month now and it doesn't perform any differently than it did when it wasn't. Now I'm not a heavy duty tweaker or anything, but I think as long as you aren't doing anything that's obviously going to eat up more battery then you'll be fine.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Same, I'm on a 6+ and it hasn't seemed to slow down any, and the batter still lasts a long time. I've noticed no difference over time.

My iPad 4 seems to be running a bit more slowly these days though, but I wonder if that's because it's old (is the iPad 4 old enough to be considered "old" yet?) or if it just seems slow in comparison to my iPhone, OR if Chrome is just a slow piece of poo poo browser (just switched back to Safari with an unlimited tab flex thing, see how this works)

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
My iPad Air 2 runs like a dream jailbroke. I have never really used it not jailbroken though so don't really have a comparison...

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

BrainDance posted:

My iPad 4 seems to be running a bit more slowly these days though, but I wonder if that's because it's old (is the iPad 4 old enough to be considered "old" yet?)

I really need to upgrade from my OG iPad 1 :ughh:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Does Apple Pay and Touch ID work on jailbroken devices? Are there any downsides to jailbreaking with iPhone 6? I haven't jailbroken since the 4S so I'm out of the loop.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 13, 2015

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

Does Apple Pay and Touch ID work on jailbroken devices? Are there any downsides to jailbreaking with iPhone 6? I haven't jailbroken since the 4S so I'm out of the loop.

Both work fine. I had some battery drain issues early on but I'm back to normal now. Still on 8.1

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.
Edit: bad advice.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
I cannot for the life of me remember how I got rid of Newsstand on my last iPhone. What do I do? Hahah.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

"NoNewsIsGoodNews" is the tweak you're looking for I believe.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
Hm. That tweak and Newsstandbegone don't seem to work. And neither do Winterboard + the Gotham icon pack.

Winterboard seems weird, too. I checked, and it still comes with all those default themes -- no icon labels, no dock icon labels, transparent dock, etc -- but only the two icon labels themes show in the list. And this comprehensive icon theme http://www.reddit.com/r/iOSthemes/comments/2bwp18/gotham_theme_395_icons_every_one_i_could_find/ is huge, but only replaces maybe five or ten icons when activated (including only a couple of the Apple app icons).

And the old /Library/Themes/ filepath for Winterboard themes is now an alias for some long rear end path (/private/var/db/stash/_.R9DzbY/Themes/ in my case). Has a bunch of poo poo changed and broke since iOS 7?

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Duck and burger posted:

Hm. That tweak and Newsstandbegone don't seem to work. And neither do Winterboard + the Gotham icon pack.

Winterboard seems weird, too. I checked, and it still comes with all those default themes -- no icon labels, no dock icon labels, transparent dock, etc -- but only the two icon labels themes show in the list. And this comprehensive icon theme http://www.reddit.com/r/iOSthemes/comments/2bwp18/gotham_theme_395_icons_every_one_i_could_find/ is huge, but only replaces maybe five or ten icons when activated (including only a couple of the Apple app icons).

And the old /Library/Themes/ filepath for Winterboard themes is now an alias for some long rear end path (/private/var/db/stash/_.R9DzbY/Themes/ in my case). Has a bunch of poo poo changed and broke since iOS 7?

FWIW you can shove Newstand into a folder as of iOS8 IIRC. So if you're already hiding a bunch of your stock poo poo in a folder somewhere you can give Newstand the same treatment.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
I would love to know what percentage of iPhone users use the Stocks app.

JiUC
Aug 3, 2004

X-ray reflectivity is a technique used to study crystalline structures. Making use of Bragg's law, λ=2dsin(θ), one can assess the thickness of a thin film by measuring the angle of total reflection, and compar

spongeworthy posted:

Which iPhone do you have? It will depend on that somewhat.

In order for a carrier unlock to take effect typically you will need to restore your device, thus removing the jailbreak. As far as I know 8.1.2 is still being signed by Apple, but that is subject to change at a moment's notice.

You can also sometimes trigger the unlock (without restoring) using a non-network SIM; or using the SAMPrefs tool. There might be another tool out there but I've never had to use any of them personally.

I have the iPhone 6. This is probably another stupid question, but I just realized I bought it myself from the Apple store (at full value/outright) and expensed it, and then brought it to my work IT department to be activated. Does this mean it's already unlocked? I do remember telling the people at the store that I needed it to work on Rogers. I'm not familiar with the unlocking process at all, so if there's any way to check whether it's locked or if anyone has any suggestions for next steps I'd really appreciate it. If someone could walk me through this like the luddite I am that would be awesome.

Thanks guys.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

JiUC posted:

I have the iPhone 6. This is probably another stupid question, but I just realized I bought it myself from the Apple store (at full value/outright) and expensed it, and then brought it to my work IT department to be activated. Does this mean it's already unlocked? I do remember telling the people at the store that I needed it to work on Rogers. I'm not familiar with the unlocking process at all, so if there's any way to check whether it's locked or if anyone has any suggestions for next steps I'd really appreciate it. If someone could walk me through this like the luddite I am that would be awesome.

Thanks guys.

Could be unlocked but I'm not familiar with Canadian policies and programs. Plug in your IMEI here http://iphoneimei.info/

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Duck and burger posted:

I would love to know what percentage of iPhone users use the Stocks app.

I actually found it briefly useful when traveling because you can add exchange rates to Notification Centre!

But your point is correct.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
Thing I learned: iPhone 6 plus uses @3x icons instead of @2x icons, so almost all themes are incompatible!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Are there any good tweaks that will show me data use by app? I'm using way more data than I should and I want to fix that.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Dave posted:

Are there any good tweaks that will show me data use by app? I'm using way more data than I should and I want to fix that.

Unless you're specifically referring to jailbroken apps, this is already a native thing to iOS. Check under Settings - Cellular and you can see data usage per app. You can also disable data usage for individual apps if you want to keep them wifi-only.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

In that menu iOS shows you how much data since the last time that menu was reset. I'm looking for more of like an hourly breakdown within a day that includes tweaks.

I have one that tells me how much data per hour is being pulled but not deeper information. Something is pulling chunks of data randomly and I'm not totally sure what it is.

The Dave fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 13, 2015

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
drat. CCLoader and CCControl both play terribly with lock screens. The former gives me crashes just swiping it up, the latter when I press any button. So sad.

Edit: Oh, hey. The beta on the author's personal repo works: http://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/comments/2lkp67/beta_release_cccontrols_13b/ The OP here desperately needs an update.

Duck and burger fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 13, 2015

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I have a follow-up to my question above about jailbreaking slowing down the phone.

Does simply having Mobile Substrate installed slow down the phone at all? I understand that you can use lots of tweaks that could slow it down, but I'm wondering if Mobile Substrate having many low-level hooks (?) could slow it down just by having it installed?

EDIT: As you can tell, I'm really concerned about jailbreaking and performance. I want my 6+ to perform like stock, but just have a couple of added features, etc. CCControls looks AMAZING.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I don't think you're going to get the answers you seek. You're really just going to have to do it and see for yourself. Personally I've only ever noticed a slowdown when I start loading up on tweaks and don't stay on top of updates. I've jail broken and used about 5 or 6 different devices, now. The only one that ever became worse for me was the first gen iPod touch.

iOS devices aren't as rock solid as Apple wants us to think. I've been following these threads since the beginning and people still have all kinds of unique, unshared issues whether or not they're jailbroken.

JiUC
Aug 3, 2004

X-ray reflectivity is a technique used to study crystalline structures. Making use of Bragg's law, λ=2dsin(θ), one can assess the thickness of a thin film by measuring the angle of total reflection, and compar

Ok, based on the (take the sim out and restart and look to see if cellular/carrier menus are still available in settings) method, my Rogers iPhone 6 is locked. I have to get it unlocked, so is there any way to save all my jailbreak info so that I don't have to install/tweak everything all over again when I re-jailbreak?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Vinlaen posted:

I have a follow-up to my question above about jailbreaking slowing down the phone.

Does simply having Mobile Substrate installed slow down the phone at all? I understand that you can use lots of tweaks that could slow it down, but I'm wondering if Mobile Substrate having many low-level hooks (?) could slow it down just by having it installed?

EDIT: As you can tell, I'm really concerned about jailbreaking and performance. I want my 6+ to perform like stock, but just have a couple of added features, etc. CCControls looks AMAZING.

The answer is no.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Taig team says the have an untethered jailbreak ready for 8.2 they will release as soon as the iOS is released!

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I seriously doubt iOS will ever be un-jailbreakable as long as there are groups like Taig working on it.

I just remember when iOS 7 came out that people were saying jail breaking is finished.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

People have been saying it was fun since it started. Then that one dude that jailbroke went to work for Apple then a while later Chinese out of nowhere and the OMG SPYWARE :tinfoil:

Still annoying when those people or groups claim to have a jailbreak just to get Twitter followers or whatever and sometimes post convincing pics or videos :argh:

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

And of course there's always people saying "oh we definitely won't see a jailbreak for this iOS" "don't expect a jailbreak for 6 months" "oh I bet we'll get a jailbreak for this one" etc etc etc endless speculation.

And practically no one is ever right, there are always tons of completely unknown factors.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy
I just rebooted my phone last night and it's been stuck on the apple logo ever since I'm about to go back to gross stock for the first time in years. 8.2 + Jailbreak can't come soon enough for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I know the answer is probably yes but I gotta ask, you tried rebooting while holding volume up right?

• Locked thread