Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The giant eyes thing actually didn't even originate with Japan. Walt Disney created that with Mickey Mouse. That rodent bastard is the original anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Every time I see that new Nopon PC I can't help but laugh. He's just so great.

I hope they put up a bigger version of that image, it's real cool.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 13, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Average Bear posted:

I think the mechs are pretty stupid but yeah the gameworld looks really awesome. Hopefully the character models are the only weak part of the game. They kinda were for XC too.

Motto fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 13, 2015

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

So, like, have you looked at the production credits of the writers of Xenoblade, the game you seem to hold in high regard? Because I'm gonna spoil it for you, they include other games with Xeno in the name.

I think Takahashi's getting to be a better storyteller over time, so I don't know if it's necessarily fair to hold his past against him as if he's obligated to be unchanging, particularly when history demonstrates the opposite.

From Xenogears to Xenosaga he learned to actually clearly finish telling his current bit of story without Chair Exposition Time, even if the pacing was still massively imbalanced across the trilogy (slow slow curry curry followed by RESOLVE ALL THE THINGS) and the overall story was incomplete. From Xenosaga to Xenoblade he further learned to improve pacing and actually have an entire self-contained story in a single game, rather than banking on sequels that might not happen.

He also learned to make gameplay an important thing in its own right (you see this somewhat in Xenosaga 3 but mostly in Xenoblade). And while we don't know too much about X's story yet, it looks like the gameplay lesson is still firmly in place.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

If you are worried about a JRPG series becoming "too anime," you might be a goon.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Butt Ghost posted:

If you are worried about a JRPG series becoming "too anime," you might be a goon.

It's weird to me that people are complaining about this. Xenoblade Chronicles X is a Japanese RPG. Xenoblade Chronicles was the same. Like the female characters, I can understand, those are awful, but the rest is fine.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's kind of funny because the first game reached peak JRPG on its own.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Not sure if I should buy a Wii U for this since it isn't quite anime enough

I'm a Vita owner, if that is a metric for how anime I need it to be

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vil posted:

I think Takahashi's getting to be a better storyteller over time, so I don't know if it's necessarily fair to hold his past against him as if he's obligated to be unchanging, particularly when history demonstrates the opposite.

I'm not holding it against him. I'm just saying that "gasp, a writer involved with a game that has fanservice designs and anime-styled characters could never write anything good" doesn't really work if you enjoyed Xenoblade's plot for anything but the accents.

And if you didn't then I'm not sure why you're surprised that Xenoblade X isn't bucking the trend.

Silvain
May 19, 2006

I'm kinda awesome.
Takahashi even stated that he wrote XC to be like a shounen story so anyone defending the story are closet anime lovers and the boob slider made you jizz all over your shulk amiibo. I'm drying mine right now.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

:shrug: I've liked his takes on gnosticism, although it's a bit more transparent than it needs to be.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I had to look up what shounen means so I'm definitely not anime enough.

Playing through Xenoblade a second time made me realize that the cutscenes are definitely anime to hell but I think the English accents and solid script coupled with the characters actually making adult decisions and responding like adults covered up The Anime Within. In X, the anime is front and center with no accents to cover it up.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Louisgod posted:

Playing through Xenoblade a second time made me realize that the cutscenes are definitely anime to hell but I think the English accents and solid script coupled with the characters actually making adult decisions and responding like adults covered up The Anime Within. In X, the anime is front and center with no accents to cover it up.

For now anyways. Once we hear the english dialog and get more of the story, that will hopefully change.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Please bring back european accents

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
You'd think a game set in and around in Neo Los Angeles would not be all that anime.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Louisgod posted:

I don't think the characters really make particularly unusual decisions in Xenoblade. It really just does seem to be the accents that make people go "This is completely different!"

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Chaltab posted:

You'd think a game set in and around in Neo Los Angeles would not be all that anime.

Having a setting called "Neo ___" is anime as gently caress.

edit:
I still have no idea what "anime" means as an adjective.

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think the characters really make particularly unusual decisions in Xenoblade. It really just does seem to be the accents that make people go "This is completely different!"

Considering that I've seen people on SA argue about whether Persona 4, the JRPG about quirky highschoolers fighting monsters with superpowers with dating sim elements, is anime, it just comes down to "if I like it it isn't anime".

Motto fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 14, 2015

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

anime owns, in my opinion

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

sharrrk posted:

Anime has a lot of its own exclusive tropes that a lot of people on this forum really hate. Many of them though are not that much different from western media. There's a lot of sexualizing young girls, and women in anime, and people criticize that heavily without seeing the irony that western entertainment does the same thing.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Anime (as an adjective) is relative. People in Xeno- threads will often call Xenoblade "not very anime" because it's being discussed in the context of Xenogears and Xenosaga and most things are "not very anime" when compared to Xenosaga.

I don't even want to know what kind of game someone would have to play to make Persona 4 seem "not very anime" though.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

I said come in! posted:

and people criticize that heavily without seeing the irony that western entertainment does the same thing.
Women, yes. Young girls though?

Also the women in Xenoblade Chronicles are 18, 21, and 88 so... #NotAllAnime

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

sharrrk posted:

edit:
I wonder how different models of mechs will work. They've shown a few of them in trailers, so I wonder if there's any player-decided customization, or if it's just something like "there's a red one that looks like this and has this weapon", "there's a yellow model that has this weapon", etc.

Motto fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 14, 2015

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Microcline posted:

I don't even want to know what kind of game someone would have to play to make Persona 4 seem "not very anime" though.

Those sorta games are all over the Vita and we routinely mock them in the Vita thread.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chaltab posted:

Women, yes. Young girls though?

Hello, my name is X-23. I am a teenage prostitute clone of wolverine. My comics contain no fewer than 5 rear end-shots per issue.

Hello, I am Megan Fox playing a 10th grader in hit film, Transformers.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 14, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Could we not do this? Because this thread is heading in a really dumb direction that has nothing to do with Xenoblade.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Motto posted:

Could we not do this? Because this thread is heading in a really dumb direction that has nothing to do with Xenoblade.

Yeah, I'm perfectly glad dropping it there.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Anime is pretty ingrained in our culture at this point. I mean, in one of his many duels, former president Andrew Jackson allowed his opponent to shoot first. He was hit, but just shook it off and killed the fucker. If that's not anime as gently caress, I dunno what is. Hell, I consider Washington the Jonathan Joestar of the US.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

I just think it's kind of cool that you seem to be a group of gun toting natural scientists.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Hello, I am Megan Fox playing a 10th grader in hit film, Transformers.

I don't know how I got the impression that they were in college then. Although I might be misremembering entirely since I haven't seen the movie in a while.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

I don't know how I got the impression that they were in college then. Although I might be misremembering entirely since I haven't seen the movie in a while.

The second movie is them going to college, so you probably remembered that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The second movie is them going to college, so you probably remembered that.

Oh wow, then I don't remember anything about the first Transformers movie aside from the good guys constantly getting the poo poo kicked out of them and then the reverse in the second.

Like Steve Urkel vs Mike Tyson.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Is Optimus Prime anime enough to be a mech in Xenoblade Chronicles X?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'm pretty sure that Transformers is literally anime.

Silvain
May 19, 2006

I'm kinda awesome.
Um, it's called New Los Angeles, like New Zealand and New Nintendo 3DS, so definitely not anime.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
^^^ Or New New York. :fry:

Microcline posted:

Anime (as an adjective) is relative. People in Xeno- threads will often call Xenoblade "not very anime" because it's being discussed in the context of Xenogears and Xenosaga and most things are "not very anime" when compared to Xenosaga.

I imagine those kinds of people look at Gurren Lagen and consider it to be too tame for their now-refined anime tastes and it was only good as an entry point in to the fine world of fanservice.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!

Boy I wish there was more news stuff to talk about. Any translations of those magazine articles out there?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Chaltab posted:

When was the last time you were in actual Los Angeles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Eponymous posted:

Boy I wish there was more news stuff to talk about. Any translations of those magazine articles out there?

Hahah i'm glad there's another fan of WatermelonCube.

• Locked thread