Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I'm gonna come back for reals in a couple days so if I need to clean the roster or lead an 8 man or something I can.

I'd like to get maybe some 8 man progression raiding pub side in before the Gree event hits so if you've got a pub toon and a night free then post away and maybe we can work something out.

E: I expect most of our regulars to be back in some capacity by the time the gree event hits. Don't let Hotlanta'man down.

E2: also use my referral link if you don't like Medullah (you shouldn't): http://www.swtor.com/r/d9rknB

HOTLANTA MAN fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Is Shadow of Revan discounted if you're a subscriber like Rise of the Hutt Cartel was?

SpiDeR
Apr 30, 2002

Crystalline is fine too
Nope :/

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Looks like Bounty Week is up again. For you newbies, it's easy XP and cash, and if you get enough rep you can get my favorite HK-51 customization.

Full list of rewards

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Lame, luckily I had twenty bucks of amazon bucks, so I just bought Revan through that.

Time to finish up consular and then see about maybe doing some of the revan missions on it and a few others, I guess.

SpiDeR
Apr 30, 2002

Crystalline is fine too
I didn't start on the goon-supported server, wish there was a googledoc for us loners :derp:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

SpiDeR posted:

I didn't start on the goon-supported server, wish there was a googledoc for us loners :derp:

Just transfer. Every attempt at organizing outside of JC has failed miserably. You get one free transfer for clicking a referral link, just do it. I started on POT5, ran a tiny guild there and just ended up saying screw it and transferring all my guys to JC.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
After being disappointed in World of Warcraft again I've decided to return to the only MMO I didn't actively hate that still exists: this one. Whats cool is coming back to your account and seeing a years worth of Cartel Coins accumulated from the security key.

Oh snap double exp weekend starts tomorrow. I picked a good time!

I guess that means I should get a referral link from someone?

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 13, 2015

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

progression raiding... pub side

That's ambitious. I've been playing with non-goons since the progression group died, but I can make it most weekday nights if you can get enough people together.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I'm just checking interest at the moment but hopefully we can get something going down the road

Ineffable
Jul 4, 2012
Maybe I'm just being really dumb and overlooking something obvious, but I've decided to give this game a go and I can't figure out how to make a referral link work (assuming it'll make me a preferred player when it does, as indicated in the OP). I click on the link, create my account, and then nothing - It's just the same as if I'd created an account without a referral link. Am I doing something wrong?

Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

After being disappointed in World of Warcraft again I've decided to return to the only MMO I didn't actively hate that still exists: this one. Whats cool is coming back to your account and seeing a years worth of Cartel Coins accumulated from the security key.

Oh snap double exp weekend starts tomorrow. I picked a good time!

I guess that means I should get a referral link from someone?

New or returning player? Click this link to get a free server transfer and a bundle of goodies to help get you started.

Just copy and pasted Medullah's.

Ineffable posted:

Maybe I'm just being really dumb and overlooking something obvious, but I've decided to give this game a go and I can't figure out how to make a referral link work (assuming it'll make me a preferred player when it does, as indicated in the OP). I click on the link, create my account, and then nothing - It's just the same as if I'd created an account without a referral link. Am I doing something wrong?

I ran into the same problem, you have to be logged into swtor.com and click the referral link again.

Khako fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 13, 2015

Ineffable
Jul 4, 2012

Khako posted:

I ran into the same problem, you have to be logged into swtor.com and click the referral link again.

I've tried that - it just tells me that my account is ineligible for the refer a friend program.

Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61

Ineffable posted:

I've tried that - it just tells me that my account is ineligible for the refer a friend program.

I googled this up, http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/6390

Apparently you need to opt-in for emails :|

Ineffable
Jul 4, 2012

Khako posted:

I googled this up, http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/6390

Apparently you need to opt-in for emails :|

That's what's strange - I tried opting in for emails, but the referral link still says I'm ineligible. I tried making an alternate account on a different email address which had opt-in from the start, and that didn't work either.

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Ineffable posted:

That's what's strange - I tried opting in for emails, but the referral link still says I'm ineligible. I tried making an alternate account on a different email address which had opt-in from the start, and that didn't work either.

Same issue I ran into, nothing I tried seemed to confer any benefit. But now im subscribed and in TNG,

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Refer a friend does not make you automatically preferred, info that says it does is incorrect. It gives you some xp boosters and stuff on a fresh account, and allows a preferred/previous subscriber to get a week of free subscription.

You have to spend at least five bucks on some cartel coins to become preferred.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

KittyEmpress posted:

Refer a friend does not make you automatically preferred, info that says it does is incorrect. It gives you some xp boosters and stuff on a fresh account, and allows a preferred/previous subscriber to get a week of free subscription.

You have to spend at least five bucks on some cartel coins to become preferred.

It always used to, when did that change?

Edit: Oh wow, guess i was wrong. Only previous subscribers get the 7 free days and prefferred. Sorry guys, I'll update the op when i can.

http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/7318

Medullah fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 13, 2015

OzCavalier
Jun 6, 2006

SON OF BITCH!
[LEFT HOOK]

Holy poo poo, if my HK-51 looked like that i'd use him all the time....

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

OzCavalier posted:

Holy poo poo, if my HK-51 looked like that i'd use him all the time....

With the 192 companion gear from Yavin HK is a beast. Getting legend with bounty brokers isn't hard at all. Daily kills on each toon available net you a green, maybe a blue, can't remember. And weekly kingpins available that you have to unlock but once you do you can do them all during bounty week for a purple rep item each. It adds up quick, especially happening monthly unlike the Rakghouls event.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

For fresh 60s, here is a mostly complete list of level 55/60 daily and weekly missions that award commendations for gearing up.

Planetary Missions:
CZ-198 Dailies (4): 2 basic, 1 green OAC rep trophy
CZ-198: WEEKLY Czerka Dissolution - 30 basic, 12 elite, 1 purple OAC rep trophy
Oricon Dailies/Area (5): 2 Basic, 1 green Oricon rep trophy
Oricon Heroic 2+: 5 basic, 1 blue Oricon rep trophy
Oricon WEEKLY Emmanations of Dread - 30 basic, 12 Elite, 1 purple oricon rep trophy
Rishi Misc Dailies (4): 4 or 6 basic, 1 Rishi rep trophy
Rishi: DAILY The Great Beast Hunt - 10 basic, 1 Purple Rishi rep trophy, Companion 192 Offhand
Yavin Dailies (8): - 4 basic, 1 green Yavin rep trophy
Yavin: WEEKLY Spirit of Cooperation - 10 Basic, 4 Elite, 2 Purple Yavin Rep Trophy, Companion 192 gear crate (armor, implants, earpiece)
Yavin: WEEKLY The Enemy Within - 10 Basic, 4 Elite, 1 blue Yavin Rep Trophy, Companion 192 Mainhand

Fleet Supplies-area Priority Mission Terminal:
WEEKLY Galactic Conflicts (3 Level 60 HM FP): 10 Elite, 10 Ultimate
WEEKLY Tactical Flashpoints (3 Level 60 Tactical FP): 10 Elite, 4 Ultimate
WEEKLY Searching for Allies (available after Intro to Group finder): 10 basic, 6 elite

Group Finder Flashpoint:
Tactical Flashpoint Daily: 30 Basic
Hard Mode (50) Flashpoint Daily: 10 Elite
Hard Mode (60) Flashpoint Daily: 16 Elite

Flashpoint bosses give 1 or 2 basic or elite commendations, depending on level/difficulty. Hard mode level 60 flashpoint end bosses drop 192 gear with no set bonus.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I have this incredible urge to play a Virulence Sniper, if only because I find the notion of firing envenomed lasers hilarious. The only thing I've played for any length of time in this game is an Arsenal Merc, many moons ago, on an account I can't seem to recover or log into (unfortunately, it probably has like two years of authenticator cartel coins on it). It seemed pretty simple.

How much more complicated is something like Virulence (or Snipers in general)? I remember Engineering having a rep as being a total pain, a long time ago, and I don't think the others were much better.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I miss the Rakghoul event, I still have a bunch of the DNA samples from the first one :smith:

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I miss gree a whole lot, glad it's running again soon. The atmosphere of it is so cool.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

When I play this game, I wish they hadn't hosed up the endgame so hard. Leveling is such a great experience, and then it just tanks so hard when you hit the end.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012

Cabbit posted:

The only thing I've played for any length of time in this game is an Arsenal Merc... It seemed pretty simple.

How much more complicated is something like Virulence (or Snipers in general)? I remember Engineering having a rep as being a total pain, a long time ago, and I don't think the others were much better.

Arsenal is indeed pretty simple. It competes with Marksmanship and 2-3 others for the title of simplest specialization in the game. Engineering has a straightfoward rotation (it's very different from its pre-3.0 version), but runs into complications when dealing with multiple targets and enemies more mobile than a targeting dummy. Virulence is the trickiest of the Sniper's three choices. It has less to handle than the non-Arsenal merc spec, but not by much.

Most of its rotation revolves around energy management - you have less than you want most of the time, plus your energy regeneration relies on critical hits so you have to be able to deal with droughts and gluts. Keeping track of when to re-apply your non-laser poisons can be also pain, especially since they leave behind phantom versions that you may or may not want to overwrite.

With all that said, the leveling system gives you plenty of time to get used to each piece of the rotation, and you don't need to be a pianist or a savant to play it well. Unless you're really interested in doing the two new operations at max level, I'd reccomend trying Virulence out and falling back to Marksmanship if things get annoying.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

ZypherIM posted:

When I play this game, I wish they hadn't hosed up the endgame so hard. Leveling is such a great experience, and then it just tanks so hard when you hit the end.

So this is still a problem? For some reason, I had the impression that they had improved things.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
It's massively improved but it still has I a couple issues with only some content actually being run by people

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

It's massively improved but it still has I a couple issues with only some content actually being run by people

every day I kill the devourer on Rishi for the 192 companion off-hands and send them to alts.

Takes like 5 minutes. I do the Yavin IV weekly and always get droid parts and send them to a T7 or a SCORPIO or M1-4X or HK-51.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
So, have they fixed the thing where when you get to level 60, you can't run the level 55 Hard Flashpoints anymore? Because that kinda killed my interest in the game, even if they didn't give good gear or whatever, I really enjoyed playing them.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

LordHippoman posted:

So, have they fixed the thing where when you get to level 60, you can't run the level 55 Hard Flashpoints anymore? Because that kinda killed my interest in the game, even if they didn't give good gear or whatever, I really enjoyed playing them.

Yep, you don't get the same rewards for them as you do running the 60s, but they're in Group Finder (like how the 50 ones were in GF at 55)

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

I just came back to this game and I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the new story content. I also like the changes to the talent system (although I'm kinda pissed they took away my orbital strike and explosive probe).

I just finished maxing out biochem again and I'm kinda confused about the purple stims. Are there no more reusable ones? And do you still get the purple reagent from Diplomacy? Because I've run Diplomacy missions enough to have ~200 of the blue reagent but I haven't gotten a single purple one yet. Is it even worth making them?

Also, were there any changes to how stuns work in PVP in 3.0? I thought I heard they were going to make them all dispellable or something but I haven't really noticed any difference so far.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Turbl posted:

I just came back to this game and I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the new story content. I also like the changes to the talent system (although I'm kinda pissed they took away my orbital strike and explosive probe).

I just finished maxing out biochem again and I'm kinda confused about the purple stims. Are there no more reusable ones? And do you still get the purple reagent from Diplomacy? Because I've run Diplomacy missions enough to have ~200 of the blue reagent but I haven't gotten a single purple one yet. Is it even worth making them?

Also, were there any changes to how stuns work in PVP in 3.0? I thought I heard they were going to make them all dispellable or something but I haven't really noticed any difference so far.

Yeah, the top tier biochem stuff is no longer reusable. But the stims last 8 hours...which still isn't worth it because, you're right, the purple components are a pain in the rear end to get, and seem to have a terrible drop rate.

For my biochem toons I just use the level 52 reusable stuff - unless you're doing endgame stuff, they're just fine (especially for adrenals...I can't imagine making the top tier purple adrenals and using them).

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
The top tier purple stims last eight hours and persist through defeat. They're about 10k on GTN. There's no reason not to use them all the time but yeah, biochem as a skill is no longer as potent.

Same for Cybertech, no more reusable grenades.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Anyone on Jung Ma? Yeah yeah, server transfer whatever, my RL friend plays on this server so I'm here to stay.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Anyone on Jung Ma? Yeah yeah, server transfer whatever, my RL friend plays on this server so I'm here to stay.

Have him transfer too. :)

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
Since we're on the topic of crew skills, what should a noob with 1 character focus on? I was thinking about Scavenging, Bioanalysis and Slicing as suggested in the OP for money since I'm more or less still feeling out what's going on in the game overall. Are these 3 still viable?

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Since launch

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Zet posted:

Since we're on the topic of crew skills, what should a noob with 1 character focus on? I was thinking about Scavenging, Bioanalysis and Slicing as suggested in the OP for money since I'm more or less still feeling out what's going on in the game overall. Are these 3 still viable?

Those are the best "take while leveling to sell the materials you gather" skills. If you don't care about actually crafting anything, you can't go wrong with those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

So one thing I did notice is different is that planetary commendations are gone, everything giving basics with a cap of 1000. Did they leave the leveling commendation vendors alone price wise, at least? Because I can see leveling being a lot more tedious if I can't just gear myself at the end of each planet.

• Locked thread