Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

socialsecurity posted:

Company doesn't believe in SLA's "every issues is our top priority" as you can imagine it makes for disaster.

Every one of our customers is high-priority. I tried, and failed, to explain how that works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE
poo poo that pisses me off: It is Friday (the 13th heh) and I look forward to leave early and have a nice dinner out with my significant other.
In comes 2 server changes that I know will take hours and hours which needs to be done after office hours. :smithicide:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

moosepoop posted:

poo poo that pisses me off: It is Friday (the 13th heh) and I look forward to leave early and have a nice dinner out with my significant other.
In comes 2 server changes that I know will take hours and hours which needs to be done after office hours. :smithicide:

Don't do big changes on a Friday.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Jeoh posted:

Don't do big changes on a Friday.

Listen to this.

Also: Don't do big changes with that short warning.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Potato Alley posted:

Who the gently caress touches someone else's poo poo? And when they're on a call no less? Was this a CEO?

Coworker who really should know better. Soon as he did it I gave him the WTF look and pushed him out. I really don't know why he thought that was okay.

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE
Those assholes went to the global it manager, got approval for the change, booked parts and other technicians etc and literally came to me last, the guy with access to the site/server room etc and said: We are doing this in a couple of hours. That is not going to be a problem, right?".

gently caress them. I am claiming 200% of my normal hourly fee on top of my usual salary so I am going to buy something nice for that money.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

moosepoop posted:

"We are doing this in a couple of hours. That is not going to be a problem, right?"
"Yes it is, I have a previous appointment. Sorry, bye."

Their lack of planning is not your problem. Tell them to go gently caress themselves.

Also seconding "never deploy on a Friday". It's just asking for trouble.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Yeah, you'll sometimes get an rear end in a top hat where everything is a super-emergency who will try to go over your head, but "This is the first I've heard of this, and I have a prior engagement that I need to attend to" usually makes other people realize that this is not your problem.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Thanks Ants posted:

Isn't Microsoft auditing all "you must license everything 50 times over no exceptions" and then you push back and they end up mostly agreeing with you?

I hate their licensing, different vendors all have different interpretations of the rules, and being able to ask MS directly would just be too simple.

Microsoft is awesome compared to Oracle. Jesus.

My DBA at one point in his career got sued by oracle for helping a customer install Oracle RAC when they didn't have a valid CSI. They not only went after teh customer, but him and his company for helping install.

That company makes msft look like a bunch of kittens.

EDIT:

Thanks Ants posted:

Every one of our customers is high-priority. I tried, and failed, to explain how that works.

The beauty of having EVERYTHING you get be escalated, is that in effect, nothing is escalated.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Urit posted:

I've actually seen this line before (I used to be SharePoint Premier support :laffo: ) - it's totally present in the base product and what's happening is they're calling Dispose() on context.SPRequest.Web rather than doing OpenWeb(context.SPRequest.SPWeb) and disposing of the copy created off of it, then something else is trying to use the SPWeb after that.

This doesn't help you of course, but it's a testament to the quality of SharePoint that this is in the base product.

Technically you COULD be causing the problem if your product ever disposes improperly: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa973248%28v=office.12%29.aspx

Yeah, we used to be really bad about not cleaning up after ourselves, but we're only seeing this on SP2010 with a more mature release of our product. Microsoft ticket is opened, and I look forward to them telling us to gently caress off just like last time.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

nitrogen posted:

Microsoft is awesome compared to Oracle. Jesus.
I'm not surprised. Oracle is the great satan of the IT world.

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE

Collateral Damage posted:

"Yes it is, I have a previous appointment. Sorry, bye."

Their lack of planning is not your problem. Tell them to go gently caress themselves.

Also seconding "never deploy on a Friday". It's just asking for trouble.

I did this last time. They tried to make me come in on a Saturday. And told this to me on the Friday... So yeah, did not happen.

There is actually a law against this in Sweden. You have to give notice 10 days in advance for this kind of stuff. So I will have a serious talk with some people about ever doing this in the future again. And they better drat well see me staying behind today as a very nice good will gesture. (I am currently being considered for a better position so I do not want to cause trouble atm).

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
So it's Friday the 13th...

And one of my Domain Controllers just decided that ADDS replication and changes are for pussies. :catstare:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

moosepoop posted:

I did this last time. They tried to make me come in on a Saturday. And told this to me on the Friday... So yeah, did not happen.

There is actually a law against this in Sweden. You have to give notice 10 days in advance for this kind of stuff. So I will have a serious talk with some people about ever doing this in the future again. And they better drat well see me staying behind today as a very nice good will gesture. (I am currently being considered for a better position so I do not want to cause trouble atm).
I've never heard of a 10 day rule in law, but maybe it's in your collective agreement?

Still it's just common sense that you give someone reasonable advance notice of after hours work. Especially on a Friday when it's more likely that someone has prior plans. And yeah, if you do it anyway make sure you milk it for all its worth when it comes to promotions.

e: Personally if something has to be done after hours I'd rather do it on a weekend than a Friday evening (assuming I had no prior plans). Fridays are cursed for deployments/changes, 13th or not. Plus I'd rather have a near full day to deal with any issues that come up than be stuck in the DC past midnight.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 13, 2015

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE

Collateral Damage posted:

I've never heard of a 10 day rule in law, but maybe it's in your collective agreement?

Still it's just common sense that you give someone reasonable advance notice of after hours work. Especially on a Friday when it's more likely that someone has prior plans. And yeah, if you do it anyway make sure you milk it for all its worth when it comes to promotions.

You are correct. It is the collective agreement. And I will milk it dry :v:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lord Dudeguy posted:

And one of my Domain Controllers just decided that ADDS replication and changes are for pussies. :catstare:

Just for good measure I'm going to check mine again.

When I started here replication wasn't working for months. I had 2 DC's past their tombstone date. So much clean up.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Lovely. I have a lecture on ADDS replication today. Let's see how THAT goes...

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
I had a co-worker who sent a tech onsite to replace a hard drive, and the tech decided that because the physical serial and the BIOS serial didn't match that he wouldn't work on the server, hand off the drive, and leave. Without ever calling us. They had to have some non-technical person swap out the drive which involves unscrewing it from a caddy, so it could've been worse.

Yeah, no, you don't get to do that, especially without ever calling us to ask about this. Turns out the main board was replaced 5 years ago and the tech that did that typoed the serial when setting it after the replacement.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

flosofl posted:

Don't worry I got the reference.

I'm amazed it took that long, I didn't think I butchered the quote too much.

spog posted:

I think you are jumping to conclusions.

:golfclap:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Thanks Ants posted:

Isn't Microsoft auditing all "you must license everything 50 times over no exceptions" and then you push back and they end up mostly agreeing with you?

I hate their licensing, different vendors all have different interpretations of the rules, and being able to ask MS directly would just be too simple.

When licensing is so confusing and changes so much iteration to iteration of software, the customer gives up and says "how much do we owe you" and it then becomes a negotiation.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Paladine_PSoT posted:

When licensing is so confusing and changes so much iteration to iteration of software, the customer gives up and says "how much do we owe you" and it then becomes a negotiation.

I had to explain to the licensing team auditing our business that "If I virtualize my environment I can use 1 Windows License for 2 VMs". They just responded with a canned response that for each physical system I required 1 Windows License.

I had to call them up and it turns out the auditors were in New Zealand so they kept trying to call me at 2 AM.

Took 2 months to audit out environment. I only have 5 servers.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Surprised they didn't force Windows Server Datacenter edition on you.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lightning Jim posted:

Turns out the main board was replaced 5 years ago

:stare:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Cisco licensing is worse than Microsoft licensing, but for different reasons. Actually, licensing for big companies in general is terrible.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We kept servers around as long as they ran, and kept under expensive aftermarket service contracts

DUMB

Also we had Proliant G3's running as our firewalls (Checkpoint software), ugh. Slower than heck and not enough disk space to upgrade or even keep logs on.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

To be fair, max warranties are generally at 5 and they are closing in on it.
But yeah - the onboard serial was set wrong for almost 5 years.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Aha, IBM super stars, is this a common IT helpdesk delight to never follow through on defects?

quote:

We have not open a ticket with Microsoft. It is not an incident solely with in Thomson Reuters but Webmail Outlook in general on Chrome and Safari platform.

Technical Support Analyst
IBM
So, open a ticket?

quote:

That is not for Deskside support to do but Messaging and the Design and Implementation Team to process.

Internet Explorer works, and Mac’s are only secondary and best level support and does not fall within the enterprise.

If you feel that this is prevent the mac from operating or the solution isn’t adequate. Please contact MS Support to inquire what they are doing to fix this issue on Mac Devices.
:cheers:

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 13, 2015

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006
I don't think I could possibly be more frustrated than I am right now at work. I've got a direct report that just cant do anything right, and I'm basically being neutered of any actual ability to deal with it.

We're a small shop, so even though I'm the IT Manager I also do most of the senior level work. We're both totally buried in a project to build a PCI compliant hosted platform for our product to live in, and our assessment was last week.

In the past few weeks, this guy has:

1. Installed a new system in the environment that was at least 6 months behind on patches. Patching the system was on the pre-deployment checklist. It was sitting like that when our assessor looked at it.

2. While the assessor was in the building, he logged someone else in with his domain admin credentials and then walked away.

3. Failed to ensure we had all paperwork and training acknowledgements from a dev before he granted him access.

4. "Completed" his follow-up patching of the system in #1 a couple days ago. Except for the 5 that still aren't installed, none of which are new and all were approved in WSUS when he did it the other day.

I seriously don't know what to do except set him up for more failure (which then I'd have to locate and clean up) or just take anything remotely important away from him (which means we completely blow our project timelines).

Sorry, guess I needed to vent.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

MrMoo posted:

Aha, IBM super stars, is this a common IT helpdesk delight to never follow through on defects?

So, open a ticket?

:cheers:
English is not first language of support department

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
I just got an email from Good.Co. They're having a promotion. Whoever has the WORST work horror story wins a $25 Amazon gift card.

So, naturally, I thought "someone from SH/SC would win the poo poo out of that." http://www.good.co/blog/contest/

(I don't work with / am not affiliated with / I just love your horror stories and they remind me to keep my poo poo in check because look what happens when it spirals on slowly into :aaaaa: )

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

meanieface posted:

I just got an email from Good.Co. They're having a promotion. Whoever has the WORST work horror story wins a $25 Amazon gift card.

So, naturally, I thought "someone from SH/SC would win the poo poo out of that." http://www.good.co/blog/contest/

(I don't work with / am not affiliated with / I just love your horror stories and they remind me to keep my poo poo in check because look what happens when it spirals on slowly into :aaaaa: )

Sweet, speculum bucket story person gets $25.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

m.hache posted:

I had to explain to the licensing team auditing our business that "If I virtualize my environment I can use 1 Windows License for 2 VMs". They just responded with a canned response that for each physical system I required 1 Windows License.

I had to call them up and it turns out the auditors were in New Zealand so they kept trying to call me at 2 AM.

Took 2 months to audit out environment. I only have 5 servers.
I'm sure I posted about this when it happened last year.

At the last jerb, we started virtualizing mid-way through an audit. We weren't going to wait for the MS team to get off its rear end and finish before we moved on.

On a later pass, the auditor noticed the 5 new VMS running Server 2012 I had spun up and went the old oh-ho-ho-you-need-licenses-for-those route. I smacked him with the datacenter licenses we had purchased. Result? "No, sorry, you still need a license for each VM." That's what my boss (who is a complete buffoon of an IT director) told me he said.

I told him to pass along for me that, if you're going to audit Microsoft licensing, you should probably have a basic understanding of Microsoft licensing. I may have also done a slightly more diplomatic version of "if you're going to make me justify purchases, pay attention to the justification" for my boss as well.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Why Microsoft doesn't just develop a web tool that says:

"How many Servers do you have?"
"Are they virtual/Physical?"
"How many users will be using these servers"

"Here's your licensing breakdown"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You'd think 1x 2012 R2 Standard license = 2x virtual installs, but oh no it's licensed per pair of sockets and so if you have 3x dual-CPU VMware hosts and 3x Server 2012 R2 licenses you're licensed until you have to vMotion some stuff around so that the total number of running operating systems doesn't change but now there's an empty box and a box with 4 running OSes on and another box with 2.

:jerkbag:

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Want a virtualized SQL server with VMotion? You get to license yourself for every core in your VM cluster.

SRM? Every core in that cluster, too. Don't care if you only use 1 vCore.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Want a virtualized SQL server with VMotion? You get to license yourself for every core in your VM cluster.

SRM? Every core in that cluster, too. Don't care if you only use 1 vCore.

This was FUD when it came out for Oracle, and i'm pretty sure it's FUD for MSFT too.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
You guys may recall the 724 posts I've made about the useless guy on our team.

Finally had to just tell my director directly, look, you need to fire this guy.

I don't think I'm overestimating my weight my voice carries on this team, so I feel like that's gonna be about it for this guy. Honestly if I could replace you with NOTHING, and still get as much work done, you probably don't need to be here.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Cavepimp posted:

I don't think I could possibly be more frustrated than I am right now at work. I've got a direct report that just cant do anything right, and I'm basically being neutered of any actual ability to deal with it.

We're a small shop, so even though I'm the IT Manager I also do most of the senior level work. We're both totally buried in a project to build a PCI compliant hosted platform for our product to live in, and our assessment was last week.

In the past few weeks, this guy has:

1. Installed a new system in the environment that was at least 6 months behind on patches. Patching the system was on the pre-deployment checklist. It was sitting like that when our assessor looked at it.

2. While the assessor was in the building, he logged someone else in with his domain admin credentials and then walked away.

3. Failed to ensure we had all paperwork and training acknowledgements from a dev before he granted him access.

4. "Completed" his follow-up patching of the system in #1 a couple days ago. Except for the 5 that still aren't installed, none of which are new and all were approved in WSUS when he did it the other day.

I seriously don't know what to do except set him up for more failure (which then I'd have to locate and clean up) or just take anything remotely important away from him (which means we completely blow our project timelines).

Sorry, guess I needed to vent.

How are you being neutered? Are they not allowing you to reprimand him or is it because you're resource strapped and you really need him regardless of screw-ups?

If it's the latter, poo poo. I'd honestly look into getting a contract drone in place if the job is documented well enough and cut him loose if he's that much of a gently caress-up.

Either way, keep a paper-trail of your conversations with your guy and the conversations you have with the higher ups (especially if they are preventing you from correcting it). Just to CYA if things blow up in an interesting way.

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006

flosofl posted:

How are you being neutered? Are they not allowing you to reprimand him or is it because you're resource strapped and you really need him regardless of screw-ups?

If it's the latter, poo poo. I'd honestly look into getting a contract drone in place if the job is documented well enough and cut him loose if he's that much of a gently caress-up.

Either way, keep a paper-trail of your conversations with your guy and the conversations you have with the higher ups (especially if they are preventing you from correcting it). Just to CYA if things blow up in an interesting way.

It's both, unfortunately. I did finally get him written up but my management insists on going through a really long, drawn out process despite 9 months of documented incompetence. If they'd let me hire what we need it would be less of an issue because I'd have other places to delegate tasks.

I just need to GTFO after this project is done, really. This place is pretty broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
:v: “If someone enters more than 90 characters in this field, it breaks random things across multiple businesses, and makes the log files lie. Should we make the UI enforce the 90-character limit? It will only take 30 minutes.”
:reject: “Nah, no one will ever need more than 90 characters.”