Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
When the gently caress is someone going to make a proper schwarzbier? Shiner is okay and Kostritzer always tastes past its prime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

icehewk posted:

When the gently caress is someone going to make a proper schwarzbier? Shiner is okay and Kostritzer always tastes past its prime.

Death & Taxes. Better than Kostritzer.

Ive had many black lagers here in northern CA, where are you located?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Death & Taxes. Better than Kostritzer.

Ive had many black lagers here in northern CA, where are you located?

icehewk and I are in WI

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
mail me a case of speed queen hot bbq sauce tia

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

icehewk posted:

New Belg 1554 is pretty close to the style

To beerdude who wants oyster pairing, I'm having some Lagunitas Brown Shugga right now and I think it would own with some oysters

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The thing is, it's just so hard to find the "right" beer. I pretty much like English milds, scotch ales, and Belgian table beers, but these things are impossible to find in the us. That's why I brew.

It's gotten a lot better lately, even in Nevada with our terrible distributors. Stillwater Beer Table Table Beer is a very good table beer and should be easy to find if you get up to Reno. Good scotch ales are less common outside of San Diego (Alesmith makes a stellar one that is very precisely to style), but Joseph James made an okay-to-good barrel aged one you might be able to find. They're Vegas local. Milds are the rarest on this side of the Atlantic; you might want to try some pale ales as they've moved away from the West Coast hyper-hopped paradigm and moved more toward the original hop/malt balance that closely resembles mild beers. Joseph James Citra Rye is more hop-forward on that continuum than some, but it's the best beer brewed in Vegas and should be fairly widely available in cans.

You should also seek out some Anderson Valley Gose. It's an old German style sour brewed with salt, and the end effect is something like 4% abv beer-ish lemonade. The blood orange variety is particularly good but none of them suck. They're perfect for Nevada summers.

e: gose would be my go-to oyster pairing as well. Failing that, a good pale ale.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
We've actually got a fantastic Belgian brewery in Reno now (St. James) that turns out a really great gose that's nice in the summer time. Ryan Goseling, it's called. Not bottled yet, but available on tap anywhere better beers are sold up North. They ARE bottling some of their signature beers like Red Headed Stranger, though. Worth checking out.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It must be amazing if a name that dumb can't ruin the taste ;)

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Feb 12, 2015

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Vegetable Melange posted:

The ol' Trou Normand.

Hahahahahah GWS.txt.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I've had some St. James stuff and they're solid, yeah. Depending on how litigious the other brewers are feeling they might have a problem with that gose's name - Evil Twin and Crooked Stave did a collab called Ryan and the Gosling. It's not a gose but under US law it could still be seen as brand dilution or something. The good news is Evil Twin and Crooked Stave are both pretty cool guys and unlikely to give a poo poo, but you never know.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

wheez the roux posted:

mail me a case of speed queen hot bbq sauce tia

Got PMs? Could probably work something out.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

icehewk posted:

It is somewhat disliked among beer nerds, but out here on the east coast Gordon Biersch makes some pretty good german styles including a nice schwarzbier. They apparently won some award this year for their rauchbier, but i didnt see it being served in the brewery :iiam:

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

To beerdude who wants oyster pairing, I'm having some Lagunitas Brown Shugga right now and I think it would own with some oysters

Beerlady, actually, but I will definitely see if they have that when I hit up the store today. Thanks, goons, I think this dinner is really shaping up!

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Been learning about risotto lately - what's the process like for prepping and serving it in a restaurant?

Cook it less than halfway, spread out on trays to cool then hold for service. On pick up, heat it back up with liquid of your choice and when it's almost al dente hit it with your dairy and work it in until it's creamy and glossy and you're done.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Wal-Mart is suing the TABC for the right to sell liquor in Texas. Good luck with that, the 20 or so families that own the 5k liquor stores in the state are totally just gonna let you break up their monopoly.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
walmart could literally overthrow the state government of texas tomorrow if they wanted to by throwing enough money at politicians for every one of them to resign

you significantly underestimate the ability of gigantic corporations to get anything they want. especially in texas of all places

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
Ok, I need some rice pudding advice.

I currently have jasmine rice on hand, and calrose. Which should I use for rice pudding? I am not happy with the results from the jasmine, but I think that just may be because it's not cooked for long enough. I can still feel, taste, and see individual grains of rice. I guess my wife got impatient, and took it off simmer so she could get some dessert.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I can't check modernist cuisine right now but I think you're supposed to just use a pressure cooker to have it turn out right.

Speaking of pressure cookers, is there any reason to let something cool naturally rather than quick-cool it with a tap of running water? I couldn't really think of one.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Calrose is a short grain, right? GIS looks like the one I usually use. I don't know why you want to eliminate evidence of rice grains in rice pudding though.. serve it when it's cooked man. I'll make rice pudding from leftover cooked (brown) rice even.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I can't check modernist cuisine right now but I think you're supposed to just use a pressure cooker to have it turn out right.

Speaking of pressure cookers, is there any reason to let something cool naturally rather than quick-cool it with a tap of running water? I couldn't really think of one.
Well, my pressure cooker is out of commission because the silicone ring broke, and I haven't figured out what else I want to order from Amazon to get to free shipping.

I assume cooling naturally will give it a bit of slow simmer time. I can't quick cool, because I use an electric pressure cooker. I just pop the valve and do quick release every time.

quote:

Calrose is a short grain, right? GIS looks like the one I usually use. I don't know why you want to eliminate evidence of rice grains in rice pudding though.. serve it when it's cooked man. I'll make rice pudding from leftover cooked (brown) rice even.
Yes. Calrose is short grain. Sushi rice. And I don't want to totally eliminate evidence of rice grains, just get a softer texture, like a really thick congee.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Calrose is labelled as a medium grain but its starchiness is the same as short grains.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
In the UK Rice Pudding is made with Pudding Rice, which is a short rounded grain, similar to Arborio. If that helps any.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

I followed a "pressure cooker" wings recipe for this super bowl, which encouraged natural cooling vs running under tap water. It was maybe the first time I've followed a recipe against my better judgement in a year or so, and it was an absolute train wreck. Wings were so loving overcooked, despite being at pressure for only ten minutes.

Never gonna not rapid cool a pressure cooker again, and never gonna follow a recipe blindly again.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Wings should be deep fried and you're kidding yourself if you think anything else is comparable.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

ascendance posted:

Ok, I need some rice pudding advice.

I currently have jasmine rice on hand, and calrose. Which should I use for rice pudding? I am not happy with the results from the jasmine, but I think that just may be because it's not cooked for long enough. I can still feel, taste, and see individual grains of rice. I guess my wife got impatient, and took it off simmer so she could get some dessert.

So what you're saying is that she made rice pudding? If you don't want rice in it you should make something else. That said my grandmother's amazing recipe used med grain, but I'd guess the extra starch from calrose might overthicken it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I remember reading that certain delicate foods should be slow released but I don't remember what they were. I've only ever done the quick release thing.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

So what you're saying is that she made rice pudding? If you don't want rice in it you should make something else. That said my grandmother's amazing recipe used med grain, but I'd guess the extra starch from calrose might overthicken it.
I put all the ingredients in a pot, and left it to simmer :p

The took it off simmer at some point.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ascendance posted:

I put all the ingredients in a pot, and left it to simmer :p

The took it off simmer at some point.

Stirring would probably help release the starches.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Chemmy posted:

Wings should be deep fried and you're kidding yourself if you think anything else is comparable.

Its a parcook before a deep fry

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

GrAviTy84 posted:

Its a parcook before a deep fry

Oh. That's obviously acceptable.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I remember reading that certain delicate foods should be slow released but I don't remember what they were. I've only ever done the quick release thing.
When you're trying to save on fuel, you do a slow release. I know in India, they don't have gas lines from a company installed. The gas sources come in tanks that need to get refilled at a very high cost. If you can't afford that, you use the coal stove thing. So you put the stuff in the pressure cooker, and turn off the heat as soon as you can, so that the cooking finishes in the heat that's built up in there, and not wasting more gas than you can afford.

With aluminium pressure cookers, you want to do the slow release when cooking split or hulled daal. Why? Because if you cook it long enough on a quick release cycle (like three to seven whistles, depending), it's going to stick like hell to the bottom. But if you do a quick cooking and a slow release (maybe 1 whistle or so), you avoid sticking. Why not add more water? Because fucker likes to foam, and you don't always want a watery daal. Too much water, and it spits out of the nozzle on top. Why not use a better pressure cooker? Meh. You're poor. Those stainless steel jobbies weigh a ton, take forever to reach full pressure (and waste more fuel), and aren't worth the aggravation. So you use the aluminium Hawkins your mum bought you for your wedding, and do a natural release.

Unless you're rich.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Chemmy posted:

Oh. That's obviously acceptable.

Yeah, the best wings I've ever had were pre-braised then deep fried. It's the easiest way to make duck/etc wings tender too.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
gently caress I had a great night last night. My lovely wife and I chef out a new place in reno for supper called heritage which was fantastic. They concentrate on local products, and we know a lot of the farmers who sell to them, so it was kind of on the list. My wife did a spit cooked pork chop with grits and greens that was every bit as good as the pork we raise, and our starters and soups were fantastic (so were the cocktails, but good cocktails are a very expected thing in reno now). I had the "double down". Unf. Great lobes of seared foie in top of French toast with maple syrup and caramel onions, plus the most humongous slice of torchon de foie gras that I have ever encountered. Good desert too but I hardly remember it after so much liver.

Then we went next door and watched st. Paul and the broken bones burn down a club for a couple of hours holy poo poo.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Saturday brunch is the best and most bougie thing ever. Just wanna put that out there.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I overcooked the valentine's day steak.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Wroughtirony posted:

I overcooked the valentine's day steak.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXQR-cPXlmY

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Chemmy posted:

Well of course I loving deep fried them afterwards. In what world would someone pressure cook wings and just serve them like "here ya go boys, don't slurpem down too fast now yahear??"

Mission was to season and par cook 10lbs of wings in a single go for mise.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I don't know why it's such a thing, but gently caress if my patience for music hasn't gotten even worse than it's been in the past. (No it doesn't count if gravi is on hangouts and playing his guitar or whatever he was playing that day; that was OK.) Friends of mine wanted to have a thing at their place. Puppy was going, I was going, and we were going to just be together and generally hang out etc etc. Then I got the email. "This is going to be a fun day of lots of music and dancing and talking." The talking I'm down with. The dancing's fine too. The music? Can go gently caress itself. I really /really/ hate hanging out with people, and having music going in the background. I don't like listening to the stuff myself, unless it's a rare mood, and even then it's a private thing that I do on my own.

I hate watching musicals (I've fast forwarded through the songs in Fiddler on the Roof every time I've watched it), Opera annoys the hell out of me (but ballet is fine), and having the radio on in the car with friends generally annoys me. So once that email came through, the entire event was utter poo poo to me, and I had absolutely no desire to go /at all/. I told Puppy to go and have a good time (he went direct from his tutoring appointment this morning), and I slept in. These are friends I enjoy being with a lot. We can sit and talk for /hours/ and not even notice the time go by. The thought of spending a musical day with everyone made me so intensely uncomfortable that I didn't even bother checking in with said friends until past 11. When Puppy called at noon, I was still half asleep.

Around 1~ish, I texted Steve to ask if the music is out of everyone's system quite yet, and if things on that front had settled. He let me know that it was in the process of wrapping up (the music/dancing that is). About a half hour later, he let me know that all the trains were running. I replied, "Sure thing. Thanks." His next text was concerned. "Are you sure you're up for this?" He reminded me that they're going to be watching Book of Life, which will most assuredly have a lot of singing and poo poo. Thank gods he knows me as well as he does. I stayed home. If I had gone, I'd have had to get dressed warmly, spent money I scarcely have, and schlep out on the subway for 1 1/2 hours on the subway to get to the rear end end of Queens. After all that, I'd likely have been in a poo poo mood (between having to get out of my warm home on my day off, and being forced to be around a musically inclined movie) and dragged everyone else down.

Rather than inflict my lovely attitude on everyone else, I figured this is a fine time to be alone.

This really isn't like me. If it means I can be with people, I'll generally make all kinds of adjustments to my comforts, and show the gently caress up, ESPECIALLY when I said I'll be there. The eminent threat of music just freaked me out, and brought out the inner introvert. I don't know where this is coming from, and I'm not sure if it's even normal. I've never had this sort of feeling before, where I have plans to see someone, and I do everything in my power to avoid it. It's weird as hell, and I'm uncomfortable having that feeling.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Yeah, the best wings I've ever had were pre-braised then deep fried. It's the easiest way to make duck/etc wings tender too.

The last time I made wings I threw them in the puddle machine. It did a pretty good job rendering a lot of that connective tissue into delicious gelatin.

It's kind of a fussy preparation, but I puddled, froze them on a baking sheet to dry the surface (and left a bunch frozen for the future) and then deep fried hard for like 10 mins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

http://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/amatrice-outraged-over-chef-using-garlic-in-his-pasta-sauce

yeah