Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Shanakin posted:

That's in the original.
On rereading, in the translation I read, she said parasites are weak but not Gotoh. Just kind of odd

Relin fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
legit cried during this episode not even gonna lie

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Blockhouse posted:

I was tempted, which holy poo poo I was not expecting.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

I'm afraid I watched the Chimera Ant arc of Hunter X Hunter a little too recently for much anime to do that to me.

"Hai, hai." :qq:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

This part made me cry when I read it in the manga, and it made me tear up this time around too. Parasyte is good

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Seems like they toned it down a bit. If I remember correctly, in the manga the exposition about the serial killer had a panel of him loving a headless corpse to illustrate, but in the anime they were just like "he's a serial killer" and moved on.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Seems like they toned it down a bit. If I remember correctly, in the manga the exposition about the serial killer had a panel of him loving a headless corpse to illustrate, but in the anime they were just like "he's a serial killer" and moved on.

That should be in the next episode, it happens in the episode after his introduction

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Now you guys understand Reiko's two transformation sequences in the opening.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I read this while I was living in Tokyo, from '91, its possibly my favorite non- crazy sci-fi manga, so I'm glad I'm positively impressed by the Maxim.
Concept and execution are really nicely developed,

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I can't stop watching this silly show

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Hah, they pretty much cut out the really gross thing from the manga entirely.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i hope you are not talking about the sex scene between murano and shinichi

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
No, I'm talking about when they go into the serial killer's backstory and show him loving a decapitated corpse. I dig gory stuff but man I'm glad they skipped that.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

LORD OF BUTT posted:

No, I'm talking about when they go into the serial killer's backstory and show him loving a decapitated corpse. I dig gory stuff but man I'm glad they skipped that.

This was very subtly included in a cutaway unfortunately. You couldn't quite tell for certain but I realized what was happening when I saw it. Gross.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Didn't they show that at the beginning of the show, when all the parasites are falling down to earth?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Their method of testing for paraystes seems really obvious in retrospect. Maybe they simply never had the opportunity to test it, and they needed this large scale facade to do so.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like how (unlike most horror/monster fiction of this nature) Parasyte makes it clear that humanity is still entirely capable of killing off the parasites and that there isn't much they could do against a full-fledged human offensive against them. Usually you'll have the monsters/zombies pose some existential threat to the human race as a whole, even if it isn't logical (like with the zombie apocalypse, where it doesn't really make any sense for zombies to be capable of overwhelming militaries, etc).

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

ViggyNash posted:

Their method of testing for paraystes seems really obvious in retrospect. Maybe they simply never had the opportunity to test it, and they needed this large scale facade to do so.
There are a few factors that are needed for this to work; First without actual samples to test they wouldn't know if it would even work to begin with. Conveniently, Tamura Reiko left behind a fairly well preserved corpse... :v: Secondly, their target is the mayor's group, and without any concrete evidence they can't just accuse them of being parasites (on top of the government keeping their existence a secret to prevent general panic) so they have to be secretive about it. That in turn requires a lot of manpower to organize whatever pretext they decide to use and kill any parasite they expose.

Regarding this arc, I love the cat and mouse nature of the whole thing with the military and the parasites being the only people who know what's really going on and playing their cards within that framework; the mayor's "Civilians first" pretext to avoid leaving the building followed by the soldier's scowl is great. :allears:

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Plus, if they are actually using flamethrowers and have to blow them on the first batch, fire certainly won't be surprising to the rest of the parasytes.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Bell_ posted:

Plus, if they are actually using flamethrowers and have to blow them on the first batch, fire certainly won't be surprising to the rest of the parasytes.

To me that seemed like it was just Migi's awkward autistic way of saying that although fire is perfectly easy to understand from a 100% logical, rational point of view, it's still pretty loving startling to have a bunch of flames up in your face and be on fire and poo poo.

It's another one of those times where the whole ":smug:I'm So Logical, No Emotions Here:smug:" facade breaks down and you see Migi & the other Parasytes aren't as different as they think. Migi has the emotionally maturity of a ~9 month old old child... because he literally is a ~9 month old child. He can't even conceptualize his emotions clearly, let alone explain them easily, and can't just say "Being on fire would be really upsetting, it would make me scared". Instead the best he can do is say some weird vague poo poo about his "inner" and "outer" consciousness. (rational & emotional mind)

Ytlaya posted:

I like how (unlike most horror/monster fiction of this nature) Parasyte makes it clear that humanity is still entirely capable of killing off the parasites and that there isn't much they could do against a full-fledged human offensive against them. Usually you'll have the monsters/zombies pose some existential threat to the human race as a whole, even if it isn't logical (like with the zombie apocalypse, where it doesn't really make any sense for zombies to be capable of overwhelming militaries, etc).

Sure, but it helps that parasytes don't seem to be able to procreate. You're right that most media is pretty over the top about it, but it's also true that there's a difference between fighting a discrete enemy with a limited number of targets, like parasytes, and "fighting" zombies, which is really more like trying to stop a plague.

redux
Apr 23, 2008

XboxPants posted:

To me that seemed like it was just Migi's awkward autistic way of saying that although fire is perfectly easy to understand from a 100% logical, rational point of view, it's still pretty loving startling to have a bunch of flames up in your face and be on fire and poo poo.

It's another one of those times where the whole ":smug:I'm So Logical, No Emotions Here:smug:" facade breaks down and you see Migi & the other Parasytes aren't as different as they think. Migi has the emotionally maturity of a ~9 month old old child... because he literally is a ~9 month old child. He can't even conceptualize his emotions clearly, let alone explain them easily, and can't just say "Being on fire would be really upsetting, it would make me scared". Instead the best he can do is say some weird vague poo poo about his "inner" and "outer" consciousness. (rational & emotional mind)

I thought this was more referring to the fact that since a parasite is basically all neural tissue, that a flamethrower would cause a disconnect between the outer part of the parasite (holy gently caress I'm on fire ARGHASD!) and the inner part of the parasite..

Cierra
Feb 14, 2007
dead
The music that plays during the council building raid scene gives me serious Mass Effect 1 vibes.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hm, I think Vangelis must be a little pissed actually :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VgNoKc_Gdw&t=87s

While I am on the subject of music : Some bloke who lives down the road, and I bump into at the super market : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxkUK3SQlWI

staberind fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Feb 19, 2015

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
This is basically the Tokyo Ghoul raid, except it's not stupid.

Also, I'm surprised they haven't found out about Migi. The cops have Shinichi under surveillance, by rights the hotel room should have been bugged the gently caress up, like cameras and microphones everywhere. Migi wouldn't have spotted it because I don't think he's imaginative enough regarding humans capabilities.

Perhaps the cops know and they're withholding that knowledge because they think Shinichi's trustworthy?

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
I am glad i am not alone in thinking this and TG are similar.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This bit was incredibly tense in the manga, I hope they do it justice.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Seems kind of dumb that they were suspicious enough of Shinichi to introduce him to the prisoner, but apparently didn't check him out using their parasite x-ray detector? I get that it's the new guy who's brought that tech in with him, but really...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hah, I was just coming in here to say how much I like that track they ripped off Vangelis. :v:

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Phobophilia posted:

Perhaps the cops know and they're withholding that knowledge because they think Shinichi's trustworthy?
The only parasytes people have seen are the ones with freaky heads, and since Shinichi passed the hair test, he's a grade-A 100% human in their eyes.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

amuayse posted:

The only parasytes people have seen are the ones with freaky heads, and since Shinichi passed the hair test, he's a grade-A 100% human in their eyes.

They've been told about Gotou, so...

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
You think Gotou would pass that test?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

No, he's saying that they should know that parasites can take over parts other than the head.

Bob Moog sex tape
Aug 26, 2004

I'm getting kind of a John Carpenter vibe from the music, which would be appropriate considering this is like the bastard anime lovechild of The Thing and They Live.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
New ep popped up on Crunchyroll. For some reason I can't remember why the final boss parasite is so unkillable.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

quakster posted:

New ep popped up on Crunchyroll. For some reason I can't remember why the final boss parasite is so unkillable.

Scar guy made it clear this episode that the way they got the parasites was by destroying the human host body. But Gotoh is pretty much all parasite material, which isn't injured by the shotgun pellets.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Is the plot for the next epsiode shown in the preview purely there so the author could make that pun in the title?

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Shakugan posted:

Scar guy made it clear this episode that the way they got the parasites was by destroying the human host body. But Gotoh is pretty much all parasite material, which isn't injured by the shotgun pellets.
So at this point is he literally the parasite version of that one thought experiment where you keep patching up holes in a sock until none of the original exists anymore? Can parasites even do that?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Twiddy posted:

So at this point is he literally the parasite version of that one thought experiment where you keep patching up holes in a sock until none of the original exists anymore? Can parasites even do that?

Tamura said that he was an experiment of hers. Evidently she wanted to know the answer to that question, too!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Twiddy posted:

Ahahaha holy poo poo he is a Ship of Theseus, I love this goofy loving show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Padawan
Nov 27, 2014

Phobophilia posted:

This is basically the Tokyo Ghoul raid, except it's not stupid.

Also, I'm surprised they haven't found out about Migi. The cops have Shinichi under surveillance, by rights the hotel room should have been bugged the gently caress up, like cameras and microphones everywhere. Migi wouldn't have spotted it because I don't think he's imaginative enough regarding humans capabilities.

I feel like Shinichi's always talking into his hand/with his hand up against his ear like he's speaking into a microphone right infront of people, at least was shown doing that on the occasional episode. Surprised that none of the character's in the show any concern that he's talking to himself.

• Locked thread