Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
New Half in the Bag looks at Jupiter Ascending and Battlefield Earth because why not.
http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-jupiter-ascending-and-battlefield-earth/
For lovers of fart jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I have no idea why, but Mike's delivery on why he obviously didn't see Jupiter Acceding killed me.

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice

Jimbot posted:

Moviebob is a self-hating nerd. He jumped on the entitlement bandwagon when it was a thing with Mass Effect 3's ending. From all his game videos, it seems like he was actually projecting.

I think what was most telling about Bob is that he jumped to the defense of Metroid: Other M ("You just don't understand it because it is Japanese and not a FPS! And everyone knows that FPS is a genre exclusively for stupid, unsophisticated dudebros, which makes Other M better than Prime by default. :smug:") and Sucker Punch ("No, you see, it is actually an empowering feminist film but it is so deep and subtle that you totally won't get that unless you're smart like me! :smug:")

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Don't remind me of that Other M stuff. At one point he was calling people xenophobic and sexist when people were talking about why it was bad.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!

Utritum posted:

I think what was most telling about Bob is that he jumped to the defense of Metroid: Other M ("You just don't understand it because it is Japanese and not a FPS! And everyone knows that FPS is a genre exclusively for stupid, unsophisticated dudebros, which makes Other M better than Prime by default. :smug:") and Sucker Punch ("No, you see, it is actually an empowering feminist film but it is so deep and subtle that you totally won't get that unless you're smart like me! :smug:")

I don't know anything about games because I'm horrible but I thought Other M was the American version and people were upset because those filthy gaijin ruined a good series. Or have I mistaken that for Silent Hill/Resident Evil? Or all of the above? Anyway Sucker Punch is still a godawful movie.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
To be absolutely fair to Bob (probably more than he really deserves), I'm pretty sure he's come the other way on Other M and Sucker Punch since those videos. At the very least, he admits when he's wrong and tends to be upfront about his blindspots and biases.

GameOverthinker is still unwatchable garbage though.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Wrageowrapper posted:

I don't know anything about games because I'm horrible but I thought Other M was the American version and people were upset because those filthy gaijin ruined a good series. Or have I mistaken that for Silent Hill/Resident Evil? Or all of the above? Anyway Sucker Punch is still a godawful movie.

Other M was the Japanese version for Japanese people (didn't even sell well there). The lauded Metroid Prime was the American version.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
^^^

Wrageowrapper posted:

Silent Hill was the awesome Japanese horror that we gaijin hosed up.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Other M was Nintendo of Japan throwing up its hands and saying "we really don't get why you people like Metroid, at all."

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

DStecks posted:

Other M was Yoshio Sakamato throwing up its hands and saying "we really don't get why you people like Metroid, at all."

FTFY

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Yoshio Sakamoto

It's

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Wrong for several reasons.

The internet critic thread: Grammar, bitch.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Wrageowrapper posted:

Other M is a game where the main protagonist freezes in fear and sheer mind numbing horror because a secondary antagonist she's kicked the poo poo out of multiple times shows up.

It's also the game where the lead refuses to put on armor to prevent herself from literally cooking to death until her superior officer tells her it's ok.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Slate Action posted:

Nah, it's other things too, his Amazing Spider-Man 2 review was conducted in full manbaby mode.

That was embarrassing to watch. "Baw, this movie is so bad I;m gonna throw out my Spider-man toys". I thought this movie was boring, not really a lot of nerd rage stuff.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Other M is a game where the main protagonist freezes in fear and sheer mind numbing horror because a secondary antagonist she's kicked the poo poo out of multiple times shows up.

It's also the game where the lead refuses to put on armor to prevent herself from literally cooking to death until her superior officer tells her it's ok.

She also does not get to fight the ice resistant metroids, the man will do that for her. She also does not get to fight the final boss, she aims at her, and then the men come and do the job for her.

The voice acting is also pretty bad, especially Samus. I think she is narrating the game while hopped up on valium.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Nintendo allegedly didn't like the Metroid Prime games, and they were the ones who put Sakamoto in charge. It's not a David Cage situation, where the game is the hack writer's baby project, Yoshio Sakamoto was a godawful writer Nintendo hand-picked to helm Other M. IIRC, the devs of the Prime games wanted to put in bounty hunting missions, since Samus is you know, a bounty hunter, but NoJ were horrified at this suggestion, because apparently they'd never meant "bounty hunter" as anything more than "generic space hero".

PassTheRemote posted:

That was embarrassing to watch. "Baw, this movie is so bad I;m gonna throw out my Spider-man toys". I thought this movie was boring, not really a lot of nerd rage stuff.

ASM2 actually kinda delighted the comic book nerd in me, even though it was a mess of a film. It nails the tone of the comics in a way that the Raimi movies never attempted, even though they are vastly superior films.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

PassTheRemote posted:

She also does not get to fight the ice resistant metroids, the man will do that for her. She also does not get to fight the final boss, she aims at her, and then the men come and do the job for her.

The voice acting is also pretty bad, especially Samus. I think she is narrating the game while hopped up on valium.

"But then...I thought about.....the Baby. How it saved me. Perhaps....that is why......I feel this way. :geno:"

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Apparently the wooden voice was a directive from Sakamoto (as was the only-wii remote controls).

Sakamoto was the creator of Metroid. He wasn't just some schlub that Nintendo put on.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Sakamoto is a lot like George Lucas. He came up with the idea and people around him made something great but he got the credit. Other M is what happens when you give him full reign. A Miyamoto he is not.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Senerio posted:

Apparently the wooden voice was a directive from Sakamoto (as was the only-wii remote controls).

Sakamoto was the creator of Metroid. He wasn't just some schlub that Nintendo put on.

No, Gunpei Yokoi was the creator of Metroid.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

PassTheRemote posted:

Out of everything that pissed me off my first (and only) time through Other M that was the last straw. "Oh hey, there's a final level with some really interesting sounding enemies in it. Haha, gently caress you. The NPC you hate does it for you."

DoctorWhat posted:

:rip: :smith:

Jimbot posted:

Sakamoto is a lot like George Lucas. He came up with the idea and people around him made something great but he got the credit. Other M is what happens when you give him full reign. A Miyamoto he is not.

I'd compare him to John Romero in that regard. The original Quake was loving amazing but when he did his own thing with Daikatana well...

Tracula fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 13, 2015

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Tracula posted:

I'd compare him to John Romero in that regard. The original Quake was loving amazing but when he did his own thing with Daikatana well...

The picture Masters of Doom paints is one of John Romero being a man with little-to-no actual creative control over anything id made. John Carmack used his power as "the guy actually making the game engine" to effectively control Doom's design (not sure about Quake's development, never got that far in the book). John Romero wanted it to be a ridiculously expansive RPG, and Carmack told him they couldn't do that.

So really, Daikatana is no surprise, since Romero was finally in an environment where he could have dozens of unreasonable ideas and nobody in a position to tell him no.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
How is Masters of Doom? I've heard of it before but I never got around to reading it.

:ninja: : Oh that's really cool, Wil Wheaton did an audio book for it.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Tracula posted:

How is Masters of Doom? I've heard of it before but I never got around to reading it.

:ninja: : Oh that's really cool, Wil Wheaton did an audio book for it.

It's a fun read. I absolutely recommend it to anybody with an interest in the subject matter.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

DoctorWhat posted:

My understanding is that Sakamoto designed the monsters in the original game, though a lot of places seem to have him listed as "director," though I can't seem to find what that entailed from a cursory googling.

Here's a funny in hindsight article from before the release of Other M

quote:

Sakamoto's skills as a writer can be seen in his writing for Kaeru no tame ni kane wa naru, Metroid Fusion, Metroid Zero Mission, and Super Metroid. You can see a sample of Sakamoto's design process in his storyboards from the Japanese Super Metroid strategy guide. No doubt this storytelling ability will be taken to new levels with Metroid: Other M.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Puppy Time posted:

Sakamoto's skills as a writer can be seen in his writing for... Super Metroid

what

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

DStecks posted:

John Romero wanted it to be a ridiculously expansive RPG, and Carmack told him they couldn't do that.

So really, Daikatana is no surprise, since Romero was finally in an environment where he could have dozens of unreasonable ideas and nobody in a position to tell him no.

Actually, that was Tom Hall that wanted Doom to be heavily story based and RPGish, and Romero and the Carmacks all shot him down. That was why he left the company.

If anything, the book paints Romero and Carmack as if they were made for each other. Romero needed someone as good as Carmack to set a high-water bar in terms of technology, and Carmack needed someone like Romero to be ambitious enough to push his tech.

It's too bad they didn't split id into two, with the main company headed by Carmack building the idtech engines and tech demos, and Romero being in charge of licensing and helping other companies, since that seems like what he really enjoyed in the post-Doom era.

You might be thinking of Quake, now that I think of it. He was trying to overreach with Quake (and was spending most of his office time playing Doom Deathmatch)

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It sounds about right because all of Carmack's later games were technically impressive but rather boring and suffering from boring level design.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

senae posted:

Actually, that was Tom Hall that wanted Doom to be heavily story based and RPGish, and Romero and the Carmacks all shot him down. That was why he left the company.

If anything, the book paints Romero and Carmack as if they were made for each other. Romero needed someone as good as Carmack to set a high-water bar in terms of technology, and Carmack needed someone like Romero to be ambitious enough to push his tech.

It's too bad they didn't split id into two, with the main company headed by Carmack building the idtech engines and tech demos, and Romero being in charge of licensing and helping other companies, since that seems like what he really enjoyed in the post-Doom era.

You might be thinking of Quake, now that I think of it. He was trying to overreach with Quake (and was spending most of his office time playing Doom Deathmatch)

It has been a few years since I read Masters of Doom, and yeah, that sounds right. In any case I remember getting the distinct impression that Carmack used his power as lead programmer to also make himself the de facto lead designer on most of id's early forays into 3D.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

watho posted:

Just don't watch Game Overthinker, his Escapist stuff is usually pretty good.

yeah, about that

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

DStecks posted:

It has been a few years since I read Masters of Doom, and yeah, that sounds right. In any case I remember getting the distinct impression that Carmack used his power as lead programmer to also make himself the de facto lead designer on most of id's early forays into 3D.

That kind of came later actually. Some stuff went down during Wolf3D, where Hall and Romero were trying to convince Carmack to invent push walls, and he refused (he actually got around to it nd didn't mention it to anyone until a few weeks before launch iirc) but Carmack apparently didn't do much WRT design until Quake because that's not what he was good at. Quake and Quake 2 ruined everything. though, and according to Masters of Doom it's around that time Carmack started to become impossible to work with.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

DStecks posted:

Puppy Time posted:

Sakamoto's skills as a writer can be seen in his writing for... Super Metroid

what

A good poster fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 13, 2015

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

PassTheRemote posted:

I'm pretty sure he was exaggerating his reaction for comedic effect in that review. I don't mind Bob as a (movie) critic, but a lot of his attempts at humor fall flat.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

That's... Huh. I wonder if it has to do with the blowup that shall not be named?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Omnicrom posted:

That's... Huh. I wonder if it has to do with the blowup that shall not be named?

What exactly are you talking about?

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
So the escapist is basically Yhatzee and nobody else now?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Well, there's Shamus Young. I don't read Experienced Points or whatever much, but his blogs about his game programming projects and some of the long-form analyses are cool, so I assume his Escapist stuff is decent too.

(Unless they dropped him?)

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

Game overthinker is a truly embarrassing show. I really like Moviebob when he's doing 5-6 minute movie reviews or big picture episodes, and when he's doing short text articles to go along with them. However given an unlimited amount of time he makes truly cringe-worthy videos. I think Moviebob generally has his head on right when it comes to a lot of things and he's a good, thoughtful, and grounded critic, except when he's doing a 20 minute show with all the dumb skits: then he comes across as a twit.

I remember an episode of Game Overthinker where he talked about how reading Judy Blume gave him the ability to seduce women into sleeping with him.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Wrageowrapper posted:

New Half in the Bag looks at Jupiter Ascending and Battlefield Earth because why not.
http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-jupiter-ascending-and-battlefield-earth/
For lovers of fart jokes.

Despite everyone saying Jupiter Ascending sucked, I still want to see it. The Wachowskis are almost the only people making big sci-fi, space operas these days (Besides Guardians of the Galaxy)

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
With Patreon being such a big thing I'm astonished Yahtzee hasn't gone independent like Jim Sterling did. I'm sure he'd do pretty drat good for himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

BigRed0427 posted:

Despite everyone saying Jupiter Ascending sucked, I still want to see it. The Wachowskis are almost the only people making big sci-fi, space operas these days (Besides Guardians of the Galaxy)

It's probably brilliant and people just aren't getting it.

Or it sucks. But I'm gonna lean on the former til I see it myself.

• Locked thread