Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
According to an interview, Moriarty and Joan met "three years" ago, so yeah, they really haven't overexposed her. Well done!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Yesssssssss.

Great episode. It was a fun mystery, Sherlock showed that he was one of those super annoying guys on discussion forums, Bell and Sherlock working a case, "I googled the place too", Joan waking up Sherlock, and Moriarty. I saw her stepping in from the first scene but it was still great.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I make the same face as Sherlock when I'm forced to watch college basketball.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
I know i've been saying I wanted more Moriarity and this is exactly what I want, a scheming nemesis that brushes into the story line and creates waves with one letter. I do agree with everyone that it can't be used to much but the fact Sherlock has someone just as brilliant as him working against him is just to good.

I wish Watson had done something more inventive to wake Sherlock up but it was still great.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
I was a little worried that we were supposed to take Joan's "I will sacrifice my life for the work!" speech as noble resolve and that I was just reading the creepiness into it, but given that Lucy Liu directed the episode and pretty much everyone found it as unsettling as I did I'm really looking forward to where they go with this. Hopefully she manges to find some sort of balance rather than becoming Sherlock 2.0

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Regy Rusty posted:

Totally intentional. The reaction to her returning to the brownstone is definitely not supposed to be "Yay Watson's back! :3:"

Although it does echo the original Sherlock Holmes stories, where Watson's wife dies and he moves back in with Holmes, I think just for the author's convenience.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
I haven't read the books - are there any other parallels between them and Elementary?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

bubblelubble posted:

I haven't read the books - are there any other parallels between them and Elementary?

Yes

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

bubblelubble posted:

I don't know if you were looking for a list or something, but most episodes have at least some little reference to something from the books, and many times they like to mix and match plots of various Holmes stories.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

They do a decent job of it as well. Instead of going for whole episodes based off particular books, they'll use key points where appropriate. The body that falls on a moving vehicle (The Adventure of the Bruce-Partington Plans) or the curious incident of the dog that did nothing (Silver Blaze) are resolved quickly instead of leaving the audience annoyed.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

:siren: S3 E15 When Your Number's Up :siren:

Holmes and Watson follow a blood trail into the world of wrongful death compensation when they investigate a series of murders in which the killer leaves envelopes of cash on the victims. Also, Holmes makes a generous gesture towards Watson as she suffers through the aftermath of a personal crisis.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The episode title makes me think that this is going to be a crossover with a certain other CBS show... :tinfoil:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

When he recused himself from your pants

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Regy Rusty posted:

The episode title makes me think that this is going to be a crossover with a certain other CBS show... :tinfoil:

That could be awesome but unless they have some way of making Sherlock completely oblivious to the IAs fighting I don't think that he would just drop the case after one episode.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
A nailgun seems a little excessive :stare:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

pik_d posted:

A nailgun seems a little excessive :stare:

Gotta remove temptation to use the door.

ZZZorcerer posted:

That could be awesome but unless they have some way of making Sherlock completely oblivious to the IAs fighting I don't think that he would just drop the case after one episode.

Yeah It would've been pretty implausible, but a man can dream.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
That was everything I want from this show. Playing with the formula while maintaining the murder mystery as the A-plot, and have Sherlock and Joan advance their relationship while both act as relatable characters. Wonderful. The dynamics were a little spelled out, but it's network television, and the quality of the acting more than makes up for it.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.
I really enjoyed this episode. The mystery of the week, although not much of a mystery, was fun and engaging, and Sherlock and Joan's interactions were amazing.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Still Fluxing posted:

I really enjoyed this episode. The mystery of the week, although not much of a mystery, was fun and engaging, and Sherlock and Joan's interactions were amazing.

The mystery was why, not who. The limp was obviously a clue, but I don't think anyone was going to see whatever crap in his eyes added up to be "he's going to get assisted suicide"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

pik_d posted:

The mystery was why, not who. The limp was obviously a clue, but I don't think anyone was going to see whatever crap in his eyes added up to be "he's going to get assisted suicide"

Well, I thought it was "this guy had a terminal illness" which still feeds into his supposed lifetime worth. Actually, my original thought is that he'd had a stroke and was going to fired really soon (like, the paperwork hadn't gone through or something prior to death) and she was hoping no one would notice.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I thought one of the interesting bits was the sister's implication that even if the killer's plan worked and she got the five million, the killer would likely burn through it in a couple of years or and be right back where she was before putting her death plan into motion.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rather than "he's worth less than they believed" I expected the flat-fee to be an issue of time. With a scale things need to be calculated and argued, and she could have lost the house before things went through.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
I'm kinda bummed Joan's storyline was somewhat resolved. I was looking forward to seeing her go off the rails, not in a sadistic way but because it would've been a nice change for her to lose it instead of Sherlock or Kitty or Marcus. She always seems to have her poo poo together, and it bugs me a little. Just a little cos she's still a sassy queen and I love her :3:

bubblelubble fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Feb 21, 2015

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
^ Double-posting but oh well.

Is there an episode today?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

bubblelubble posted:

^ Double-posting but oh well.

Is there an episode today?
Nope.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Next new episode airs on March 5th.

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending
I just watched the last 5 episodes. One of my favourite parts of the past few episodes was when Holmes was telling the squad why their suspect pool narrowed - it couldn't be any of the women because physical strength was needed - and I was waiting with bated breath at Joan's rebuttal. But then Sherlock's sentence carries on with no pauses and he assures Joan that he has no doubt she could do it herself. I also loved the scene in London where Kitty went back to Sherlock.

I love where they're going with Joan.
I love Moriarty!!
I'll miss Kitty :'(

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

:siren: S3 E16 For All You Know :siren:

When Holmes is implicated in the murder of a woman who was killed during the height of his addiction, he investigates himself to find their connection. As Holmes retraces his steps with Watson's help, the clues make his confidence in his own character waver.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This is a super cool idea for an episode.

Oh my gosh Sherlock picked his pocket as he was getting his rear end kicked :allears:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
"What are you saying, that this is some sort of cover-up?"

Yes Watson, jesus christ. Stop being the person who says thing for the dumb people.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

"The fact that I could remember so little from that period was an enormous relief to me, until now!"

Jesus, Sherlock... :smith:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Johnny Lee Miller loving killing it.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

That ending...drat. Good episode.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Wow, what a great episode. I love this version of Sherlock. Johnny Lee Miller just acts the hell out of this show, and they give him really great material. That last scene... awesome stuff.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
If this episode had been on the BBCs Sherlock we'd have had Bumbledore Cabbagepatch try to "recover" his memories by shooting up with various weird chemicals and having half the episode take place in "drug vision" or something. If they were weapons, Sherlock would be some goofy anime sword that's all glowy fireworks and Elementary would be a stiletto that punches straight to your loving heart.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
I love the shot at the beginning when the detectives were done interrogating him and leave him alone in the room, and the camera lingers on him uncomfortably long as he sits there digesting. From that point on his body language completely changes, he's usually manically twitchy and bouncing up and down, but instead throughout the episode he's almost completely still and unmoving in every scene. Tremendous stuff.

Also love the callback to Doyle's Holmes' use of street urchins to deliver messages, but instead here it's because he had sold his phone for drugs, and because the street urchins had drug connections.

The mystery left much to be desired though, I mean they didn't even show the resolution... of how the guitarist's music got stolen.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Miller did a great job of having Sherlock look ashamed for most of the episode, he avoids eyecontact and stares off into space for minutes at a time.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
So eff-why-eye I really like this show; it's one of the few non-sci-fi/fantasy shows that I watch week after week. And this episode had some great writing and acting. I think this is some of the most engaging and sobering (...heh) depictions of a substance abuse recovery I've ever seen in media.

But was I the only one who kept getting distracted by how thin and unsubstantiated the actual "case" was? We're talking Law and Order-tier thin here.

Sherlock was a suspect...sorry, a "person of interest"... because he wrote a note to meet up with a woman however many years ago? To the point that the entire department apparently sent detailed profiles on him and all his associates to every single one of the victim's relatives? Where was literally any evidence at all to connect Sherlock to an actual murder? The whole time Sherlock was flagellating himself about the situation I just wanted Joan to shout at him that you cannot build a criminal case against someone (including yourself) based on the premise that it was not actually, absolutely impossible that they didn't do it.

And the reverse was true as well. Sherlock's supplier just so happened to have stashed away the blood-soaked shirt for however many years and Sherlock just so happened to recognize it from a tiny photograph because white shirts are super rare and distinctive and then they managed to be able to connect the guy, through total conjecture, to the murder that Sherlock was being framed for despite the fact that the shirt was actually involved in another murder entirely.

Eh, this probably wasn't the thinnest "mystery" that this show has ever had, but it just stood out to me because so much of the narrative relied on the case being incredibly solid and compelling instead.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The main conflict of the episode though wasn't the case, it was Sherlock's internal struggle with his past. The case against Sherlock was pretty thin, but I think the show did a good job of not trying to play up the fact that he was in serious legal trouble. He was questioned to potentially establish that he knew the victim, then when they got an eye witness tip he was arrested. The show didn't have the two cops endlessly hound Sherlock, or tell him menacingly that they know that he did it and that they'll definitely get him and blah blah blah. They didn't have Watson or the Captain freak out and start yelling because God damnit, they only have X hours to prove Sherlock's innocent or else he'll be magically locked up for life! To follow your example, if this really was Law and Order than there actually would have been some serious evidence against Sherlock and it would've totally looked like he did it, except said evidence would have been magically explained away in the last 5 minutes to everyone's relief.

Instead the case was fairly thin, but just solid enough to put doubt in Sherlock's mind and make him question his past and realize just how dark his lowest point got. Like he said, even a best case scenario was that he potentially didn't prevent a murder from happening. Coming to that realization was a serious gut punch for him, and was a much more meaningful problem for him to face than some kind of cliche "Good guy gets framed/wrongly accused" plot that every other cop show's already done a million times over.

Basically the way I looked at it is that a lesser show would've tried to have its cake and eat it too by pretending that there's actually a chance that Sherlock did it. This show skipped all that because it knew people wouldn't be stupid enough to think that the title character is going to go to jail for murder halfway through a season, so it almost didn't bother with the actual case against him. I can see why it bothered you, but I kind of appreciated the show not trying to waste my time with some forced dilemma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, I agree with VDay's assessment, I don't think there was ever a real threat of Sherlock being imprisoned or that the show was really gunning for you to think so. Even if there were a note and an "eyewitness", the chances that it would withstand reasonable doubt are very slim.

• Locked thread