Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

When people say there is too much violence in my books, what they are saying is there is too much reality in life.
Intonation question:

I see that I'm supposed to move the saddle back (that is, away from the headstock) if the fretted 12th is sharper than the harmonic. But what if when you move it all the way back that it won't go further it's still sharp? Then what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

epoch. posted:

Intonation question:

I see that I'm supposed to move the saddle back (that is, away from the headstock) if the fretted 12th is sharper than the harmonic. But what if when you move it all the way back that it won't go further it's still sharp? Then what?

I think you already knew this, but there's not a whole lot you can do about that. What guitar is this? and what string is it occurring on?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

epoch. posted:

Intonation question:

Break out the dremil?

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Spanish Manlove posted:

Break out the dremil?

What are you even thinking he could dremel back? You can shorten the string length by moving the point of contact on the saddle forward but how could you make it longer?

If it's on a strat or tele can can remove/cut the spring down.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

HollisBrown posted:

What are you even thinking he could dremel back? You can shorten the string length by moving the point of contact on the saddle forward but how could you make it longer?

If it's on a strat or tele can can remove/cut the spring down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzvQN6dbY0U&t=241s

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
tuning orb

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

I guess but only a floyd would have enough material there to cut it back.

Plus, I'm guessing no one would willingly do that to anything they own and care about.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

When people say there is too much violence in my books, what they are saying is there is too much reality in life.
It's on my new PRS SE CU24. I took the spring out. It's still sharp :raise:

This is with 11-56 strings and a new nut, though, so maybe there's something I can do with the nut? Also I stripped the head of screw loving with it, yay!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

HollisBrown posted:

I guess but only a floyd would have enough material there to cut it back.

Plus, I'm guessing no one would willingly do that to anything they own and care about.

I doubt anyone sane would do that to a guitar they paid for and care about other than a joke beater guitar to try hosed up things on. I just think it's funny.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

epoch. posted:

It's on my new PRS SE CU24. I took the spring out. It's still sharp :raise:

This is with 11-56 strings and a new nut, though, so maybe there's something I can do with the nut? Also I stripped the head of screw loving with it, yay!

You could try cutting back the nut, but I personally wouldn't. What gauge strings did it come with?

Edit: Is it just one string? You could have got a bad string, that does happen occasionally. Like 1/50 packs of strings I've put on have a dead string that won't intonate and sounds bad.

Hollis Brownsound fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Feb 13, 2015

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

HollisBrown posted:

You could try cutting back the nut, but I personally wouldn't. What gauge strings did it come with?

Nah, not going to do that. It came with dinky little 9s. And the stock nut was a piece of poo poo that caused it to go out of tune every time I even looked at the trem funny.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Did you set the truss rod and the saddle height first? A sharp string should generally mean you have to push it down a long way to fret it, so you need to sort out your action before you compensate for it with the saddle

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

I didn't touch the truss, but I think I'm going to need to, you're right. I've been doing some reading from PRS forums and such and I think I have a lot of things to try to suss out. I need to find a replacement screw, though ... :(

edit: I think it's a #4-40 x 3/4th"

epoch. fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 13, 2015

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

epoch. posted:

I didn't touch the truss, but I think I'm going to need to, you're right. I've been doing some reading from PRS forums and such and I think I have a lot of things to try to suss out. I need to find a replacement screw, though ... :(

edit: I think it's a #4-40 x 3/4th"

Get a feeler gauge set, too. They're like $5 and it really helps to be able to get the setup where you want and then get it back if/when you need to make adjustments.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

The Bunk posted:

Get a feeler gauge set, too. They're like $5 and it really helps to be able to get the setup where you want and then get it back if/when you need to make adjustments.

Or $30 from Stew Mac if you wanna burn your money in a pile http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Tools_by_Job/Nuts_and_Saddles/Feeler_Gauges.html

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

lol

yeah, I have a feeler set; just need to find it. Last I saw it the 2yr old had it

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
Been thinking about picking up an acoustic guitar since I want to jam out to some country. Besides the guitar anything I should pick up at the guitar store? I've got a music stand and metronome stored at my parents. A little excited/worried since it's been over a decade since I've played my viola.

There's been a few acoustic guitars on Craigslist but I wouldn't feel comfortable enough to judge them

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

haha, wow. Even if you bought those you couldn't really use them for neck relief because they only go down to ".016 .

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

GTJustin posted:

Been thinking about picking up an acoustic guitar since I want to jam out to some country. Besides the guitar anything I should pick up at the guitar store? I've got a music stand and metronome stored at my parents. A little excited/worried since it's been over a decade since I've played my viola.

There's been a few acoustic guitars on Craigslist but I wouldn't feel comfortable enough to judge them

Depending on the style you want to play: Possibly a slide and a capo in that order.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

GTJustin posted:

If you're comfortable changing your own strings (spend 5min on youtube and you can learn) then consider some extra strings in case you break some, and a bag of random picks to see which kind you like.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

In addition to SM's advice above, get a clip-on headstock tuner. One of the dirt-cheap Snarks should be fine.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Some thumbpicks because why not

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
Thanks guys, I walked out with a Cort CJ1F NS and most importantly 4 lessons. Can't wait to learn/play this thing

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

epoch. posted:

Intonation question:

If it is a TOM style you can look into getting one of those ugly rear end harmonica bridges that has even larger space to move the bridge around.

Or just give it up. Most people won't even notice. If it is bad enough to notice then you may have to consider a different instrument.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
If it's a trem you could consider installing a Wilkinson or knockoff. They make models with much longer travel on the saddles, some of which are pretty affordable. This is one of the fancier ones, but there are dozens that work the same way.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's not a wilkie but you did make me think that may be shorter aftermarket saddles that give more backwards movement. It sounds like he's already looked up what other people with the same problem did, though.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
I got a used CV Strat a few months back. When I got it the action was super high, but I didn't really mind at first. But the more I play it the more its starting to bother me. However, the saddle height for both E strings has been reduced pretty much all the way down. So this likely means that it is a problem with the neck relief or the neck requires a shim. I have a huge feeling it the neck relieve because putting a capo on the first fret and then fretting on the 21st fret seems like a noticeable gap. From What I understand, its suppose to be pretty paper thin. I then checked the truss rod and there didn't seem to be any resistance in either direction when twisting it.

I read online that straitening out the neck requires clockwise turns of the truss rod. That seems counter intuitive, but I guess it just has to do with the way the threads are?

At any rate, I turned the truss rod a few times (little bit at a time) in that direction and finally the screw seemed to tighten a bit. Felt more like the resistance I was expecting from my other guitars. I have a feeling this means that one of the previous owners someone loosened the truss rod. I know everyone says go slow with them, not more than a 1/4 turn at a time, but what is a good time to wait between adjustments? 5 minutes? 10 minutes? An hour? Overnight?

Unfortunately, I don't really have anything that can reliably measure something as small as a tenth of an inch and I haven't done much work with truss rods, but it seems like something I should be able to fix on my own with enough patience and tinkering. Also, is it worth getting one of those action tools for this, or a long straight edge?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
You can get feeler gauges and a straightedge from Harbor Freight for $5. That being said I often eyeball truss rod adjustments, usually correctly, by just fretting the first string and looking at the gap.

In my experience Squier guitars often benefit from a shim.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Capo the first, fret the last, and check the relief with a cutout piece from a D'addario string box on the 10th fret. ;)

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
Unfortunately I think I actually managed to clean up after I put new strings on my other guitar. I hear playing cards work too. But I am not sure I have any. Maybe a business card? Probably too thick.

Might just spring for some gauges.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I wonder what's going to happen to Musicians Friend in the upcoming Guitar Center bankruptcy/fire sale.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

comes along bort posted:

I wonder what's going to happen to Musicians Friend in the upcoming Guitar Center bankruptcy/fire sale.

Did something new happen?

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/20891-horrible-guitarists-you-should-shutup-and-learn-from

How the hell do you count Josh Homme and Annie Clark as "horrible" guitarists?

It's weird that this idea of shredding being the cutting edge of guitar-playing hasn't shuffled off and died yet.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Kinda think you missed the point there.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Not really. I get that he doesn't really think they're horrible.
But who is this text for? Are there really people so myopic musically that they don't know Tears for Fears had a guitar player?
And if there are it seems to me he's writing for a very narrow audience.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's for people who hate pop music and think it's lovely garbage when actually they're the ones who are lovely garbage

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Pondex posted:

But who is this text for? Are there really people so myopic musically that they don't know Tears for Fears had a guitar player?

What a privileged life you must live.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

muike posted:

It's for people who hate pop music and think it's lovely garbage when actually they're the ones who are lovely garbage
Replace pop with 'anything outside their tiny range of acceptability'. But spot-loving on.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Pondex posted:

I think the article is being sarcastic and saying "hey you should learn guitar from these people who aren't always though of as great players".

Assholish off color though: I wonder if Annie is sleeping with her hot Chinese guitar player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Anyone have any tips on where to find a metric electrosocket jack cup? All I can find are people complaining about buying metric ones that are supposed to fit 7/8" jack, but I'm pretty sure my squier cv tele has a metric-threaded jack and I can't find someone selling them in the US.