Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

forbidden lesbian posted:

haha how did your school get away with showing an r-rated movie to a bunch of 15 and 16 year olds

substitute teacher decided to let us watch "full metal jacket" which one of the guys in our class insisted was part of our assignment that day

so i assume a substitute teacher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

paranoid randroid posted:

is the more horrifying option the one where enders game is assigned reading? because i went to a middle school where it was assigned reading. mostly because orson scott card was from the state, but still.

Ender's Game is required reading in the military's officer curriculum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ender%27s_Game#Critical_response

quote:

The U.S. Marine Corps Professional Reading List makes the novel recommended reading at several lower ranks, and again at Officer Candidate/Midshipman.[17] The book was placed on the reading list by Captain John F. Schmitt, author of FMFM-1 (Fleet Marine Fighting Manual, on maneuver doctrine) for "provid[ing] useful allegories to explain why militaries do what they do in a particularly effective shorthand way."[18] In introducing the novel for use in leadership training, Marine Corps University's Lejeune program opines that it offers "lessons in training methodology, leadership, and ethics as well [....] Ender's Game has been a stalwart item on the Marine Corps Reading List since its inception."[18]

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Sharkie posted:

I liked the actor who played Cicero, but yeah that wasn't a flattering portrait.

Yeah, David Bamber's really good, and when the script allows him to actually be Cicero, he's awesome.

quote:

Brian Blessed did a much different but more believable Octavian in I Claudius.

WHERE ARE MY EAGLES?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!!??!

quote:

James Purefoy can do no wrong, though.

Yeah, that's the best Marc Antony portrayal I've ever seen. The guy was the dictionary definition of a lout, but boy, he must have been fun to hang out with.

icantfindaname posted:

Ender's Game is required reading in the military's officer curriculum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ender%27s_Game#Critical_response

Upsetting.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

from the way he worded it, the latter. "yeah we read that book for class, it was p fun"
Mind boggling. It isn't even the best book in that series. I mean if you're going to have people read Hitler apologia at least make it Xenocide.

is the more horrifying option the one where enders game is assigned reading? because i went to a middle school where it was assigned reading. mostly because orson scott card was from the state, but still.

That's depressing as hell. Though I guess acceptable at a middle school because that could be like sixth grade. Which is a time it is okay to be reading OSC.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
my favorite part of HoD was always the guy in the outer station who wore full european formal dress in the middle of the jungle

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i loved the part of apoacalypse now when Martin Sheen goes to the guys fighting on the bridge and asks who the CO is and gets bounced to like 15 different guys before realizing that none of them even remember whose in charge

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

icantfindaname posted:

Ender's Game is literally a nerd going "but I really am smarter and better than everyone else why won't they recognize it????????? :qq:"

I liked the spinoff series with the side character from Ender's Game just for the techno-thriller aspect of it. The spinoff series that went deep into Catholic theology not so much

"thanks to my self diagnosed aspergers!!!" - a good deal of the readers

the last two bean books were pretty heavily laced with islamophobia which impressionable 13-year old me lapped up uncritically :smith:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

"thanks to my self diagnosed aspergers!!!" - a good deal of the readers

the last two bean books were pretty heavily laced with islamophobia which impressionable 13-year old me lapped up uncritically :smith:

Ehhh it was more of an early Clancy style grudging respect for those crafty Communist foreigners, at least in the first few. Maybe the last one changed that? I remember India and Russia and China and poo poo being major players in the military thriller world and being portrayed in a fairly positive light

I read like 3 books in the weird Catholic space-theology on the Definitely-Not-Brazil planet though, and just ended up mad I'd wasted that time

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 14, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

icantfindaname posted:

Ender's Game is literally a nerd going "but I really am smarter and better than everyone else why won't they recognize it????????? :qq:"

I liked the spinoff series with the side character from Ender's Game just for the techno-thriller aspect of it. The spinoff series that went deep into Catholic theology not so much

the original short story version (which is what we were assigned in high school) was wayyyyyy better because its only llke 25 pages long and doesn't build up all the weird poo poo.

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OEUkn6tQ3us

coolbear, you have allowed your emotions to interfere with your articulation

now watch patrick stewart

Oh Patrick Stewart was able to do a good job doing something difficult? I'm not surprised at all.

The question is how much effort do we need to force children to go through to understand a different syntax, a different system of putting emphasis on words, and a different idea of society reflecting the world of the year 1400. Sure many of the things Shakespeare spoke of historically are interesting in the context of trying to understand what contemporary people thought about their world which is different from ours.

But there is just about zero effort put into explaining how the world of 1400 is different from ours when teaching these children. They are forced to learn what some other language is to recite it, with different syntax and it makes no sense.

The reason why is because PRETENTIOUS teachers think it's so important because they spent so much time learning it themselves. This is not what a purely rational curriculum would focus on. WHERE is John Maynard Keynes in this curriculum? NOWHERE!

Nintendo Kid posted:

they're a lot better when they're actually performed almost all plays are boring poo poo when just fuckin read.

itd be like having to read movie scripts

Nintendo Kid correct as always, thank you

Cool Bear fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 14, 2015

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

the magic of permission slips

heh my teacher just told me to keep it on the dl

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
hopefully Mrs. Ayah will not get mad about me divulging the secret 7 years later

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

now watch patrick stewart

I got to see him and Sir Ian in "No Man's Land" a couple years ago.:smug: (Billy Crudup too, which was also cool, but come on. Sir Ian and Sir Patrick)

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
We watched Apocalypse Now without permission slips, but that was because they just did a blanket one when you started highschool. Basically it said, poo poo gets real now. If you don't want that for your child opt out now or forever hold your peace.

VVVV What class?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
we did star wars one year because it was the teacher's fave movie

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Majorian posted:

Yeah, David Bamber's really good, and when the script allows him to actually be Cicero, he's awesome.

WHERE ARE MY EAGLES?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!!??!

Rome Octavian is this cold, calculating, control freak, and you can see where they got that interpretation of Augustus from. But Blessed is this earthy, well-rounded, magnanimous dude that you can totally see people following...and he's just as calculating and hungry, but you'll never see it unless he wants you to.

Majorian posted:

Yeah, that's the best Marc Antony portrayal I've ever seen. The guy was the dictionary definition of a lout, but boy, he must have been fun to hang out with.

"Retreat? That's slave talk!!!"

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Exclamation Marx posted:

we did star wars one year because it was the teacher's fave movie

There was a college-level philosophy course that I took in HS, and we convinced the teacher to let us watch the first Matrix. In retrospect, it actually wasn't a bad movie for us to watch at the time, especially since nobody knew how bad the sequels would be.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
Heart of Darkness was so close to getting it right but then Conrad fell into the trap that english writers seem to fall into by going "ah, but when england does it with her empire.... then it's good" saying

quote:

The conquest of the earth, which mostly means the taking it away from those who have a different complexion or slightly flatter noses than ourselves, is not a pretty thing when you look into it too much. What redeems it’s the idea only. An idea at the back of it; not a sentimental pretence but an idea; and an unselfish belief in the idea.
too bad british african ivory/rubber plantations were probably as bad in quality as the belgian ones

Foppery
Dec 27, 2013

I POSSESS THE POWER CHRONIC

In sophomore year we all had to read Candide, which was the poo poo

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
we watched the goonies in ap lit

first time i ever saw the goonies

however in another class we also watched R rated movies

like passion of the christ

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

i know this white guy from denton who told me he read ender's game sophomore year for class

freshman year my english teacher read ender's game aloud

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
On the last day in my 7th grade science class we watched Double Impact

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
since everyone is talking about high school anyway what was your guys' favorite book you had to read for high school? mine was candide, holy poo poo that was funny

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Foppery posted:

In sophomore year we all had to read Candide, which was the poo poo

I read that one twice, weirdly enough - once in a history course, and again in an honors English course. I love it so much, and I love the Bernstein operetta too.

Jagchosis posted:

since everyone is talking about high school anyway what was your guys' favorite book you had to read for high school?

I think The Brothers Karamozov. I didn't appreciate it at first, but dear God, is it a good book. It very much helped me on the path of studying Russia in college.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Rodatose posted:

Heart of Darkness was so close to getting it right but then Conrad fell into the trap that english writers seem to fall into by going "ah, but when england does it with her empire.... then it's good" saying

too bad british african ivory/rubber plantations were probably as bad in quality as the belgian ones

Even then it's still better and more worthwhile than Apocalypse Now or that stupid shooter game clone of it people bandy around as Video Game Art

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Jagchosis posted:

since everyone is talking about high school anyway what was your guys' favorite book you had to read for high school? mine was candide, holy poo poo that was funny

lord of the flies

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

my favorite part of HoD was always the guy in the outer station who wore full european formal dress in the middle of the jungle

if he does not maintain dress, ORDER WILL BREAK DOWN AND ANARCHY REIGN

cool bear, i am the moor of your soul. villian, i have undone thy mother

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nd60tmSHK0k

Jagchosis posted:

candide was pretty okay, i read it

heart of darkness, i didnt appreciate it at the time, now there's a book which became my favorite after i was in uni

tigers, everywhere, tigers all around waiting to eat me

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

When we did the Edgar Allen Poe thing where theres a midget joker who at one point was grinding his teeth so angrily and loudly that everyone stopped talking amongst themselves because of the weird noise, my english teacher told me to do the teeth thing myself, as I stood in the middle of the circle of desks.

He told us to take a break as he went up to me and told me to do that. Then he went back to his desk to pretend to do work.

I ground my teeth as loud as I could and people slowly started saying 'what is that noise' just like in the story. It probably damaged my teeth but they seem ok now. This is a real true story. I always respected Poe more than Shakespeare because I believe that relevant world history and the understanding thereof begins with the industrial revolution, what do you think of THAT Professor Icantfindaname?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Jagchosis posted:

I liked Catch-22

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Jagchosis posted:

probably wise blood or heart of darkness

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i aint no goddamn preacher!

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

My Imaginary GF posted:

if he does not maintain dress, ORDER WILL BREAK DOWN AND ANARCHY REIGN

cool bear, i am the moor of your soul. villian, i have undone thy mother

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nd60tmSHK0k

I swear it's like ralph cifaretto and gladiator in the sopranos

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jagchosis posted:

I don't even know. Beowulf maybe? Macbeth? I didn't pay much attention in high school. I like spook stories about witches and monsters is what I'm saying.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Jagchosis posted:

i couldn't tell you, having a teacher read ender's game to the class was actually the last time any of my teachers made us read a book except shakespeare

i went to some terrible high schools

Foppery
Dec 27, 2013

I POSSESS THE POWER CHRONIC

Jagchosis posted:

Mine was probably Candide as well, but 1984 was pretty drat good and we still haven't gotten to the Stranger yet and I got a good feeling about that one, so who knows.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

icantfindaname posted:

I liked Catch-22

yeah, that'd be my pick too.

Majorian posted:

I think The Brothers Karamozov. I didn't appreciate it at first, but dear God, is it a good book. It very much helped me on the path of studying Russia in college.

can't believe you got assigned that in high school. lucky.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Jagchosis posted:

The things I did best with were Things Fall Apart, Beloved, and some Walt Whitman. Maybe some other poo poo I'm forgetting but I doubt it. Also a classmate brought a section of Howl by Allan Ginsberg and I remember being pretty impressed.

That's not to say I liked them all the way through but they held my interest well enough to pull a good essay together.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

Even then it's still better and more worthwhile than Apocalypse Now

Really? I think it's apples and oranges, actually. You do get the "Odyssey" allusions throughout it, and more importantly, at least from my perspective, you get a pretty good analysis from Kurtz on what it would have taken for the US to win that war (ie: being even more savage, destructive, and unabashedly crazy than we already were in Vietnam).

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

This thread is moving too fast with people chiming in to say "yeah i also liked that but here's also what I like" because the disease of being pretentious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
flannery oconnor is my poo poo but shes also a hugely hosed up person and ill never know how to feel about her rewriting The Geranium into Judgement Day

• Locked thread