Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yes but in those two cases Yugi actually won because Atem was going to lose from being too scared to not win. Or something. Don't let people jump off buildings because of card games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Atem and Yugi lose two duels each (including filler). Yugi to suicidal Kaiba and Malik-controlledJounouchi. Atem to Raphael and Yugi (and I guess post-Battle City Jounouchi :shrug: ).

The most amazing example of Atem's bullshit protagonist ability was taking Kaiba's place against Noah, shuffling Kaiba's deck into his own and starting off at 100 LP. :v: Destiny-motherfucking-Draw like a champ.

The duel against possessed Joey was a draw, right?

Metal Sonichu
May 18, 2013
Sort of. Marik/Joey played the pre-TCG version of Meteor of Destruction, which did 1000 damage (wiping out Yugi's LP) but also gave Yugi's weakest monster, which was a severely crippled Red Eyes, the opportunity to attack him and wipe Joey's LP out as well.

Metal Sonichu fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 12, 2015

Metal Sonichu
May 18, 2013

Screwed up editing my post.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

So therefore it was a draw.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

AnacondaHL posted:

Will the page 1 post on ZEXAL be some hyperbole one-liner THIS SUCKS DON'T WATCH THIS NO REALLY 4 REAL, or will there be an effort post detailing just how lovely the series is?

After I add Arc-V it'll be this

quote:

Reserved for ZEXAL

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

22 pages already? Jesus Christ, I guess one series hasn't faded into obscurity yet.

I just want to let that one guy know on Page 1, assuming no one answered in the subsequent pages, that ZEXAL's dub is pretty nice. They put a lot more effort into it than they did for 5D's. Also it's still airing on Hulu where it will finish this month.

Also in agreement on watching GX dubbed. If no one will object, I collected my favorite insane GX Dub Quotes and I could post them. If not, settle for this:
http://designspace.hubpages.com/hub/Most-Insane-Episodes-Of-Yugioh-GX

Now they finally are selling new DVDs of GX, I would be more than glad to give them my money. That show deserves every penny I can give.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Okay I just breezed through 22 pages of this thread, skipping over the Arc V stuff, and I want to bring up a couple topics.

Season 2 of GX was the best because it had:
1. Dark Zane who was a guy who only played card games to feel alive by causing pain to others and feeling pain in return
2. Aster Phoenix. I know Chazz is much beloved here but Aster was my favorite Kaiba Clone. The duel where he beat Jaden was my favorite duel in GX.
3. Sartorius who honestly had an awesome deck that was all about using his special power to have his opponents beat themselves. He got a Zero Turn Kill. Sartorius was probably the best non-Pegasus villain.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh man, Arc-V has been rough for the past like... 10 episodes. Among the duels we don't need to see for Yuya to get in the tournament there are actual interesting things happening in the background that we barely get to see. Every duel goes exactly the same and the only people who aren't Yuya so far that have dueled in this little time frame are the LDS Students and they get what Sawatari got, an entire episode dedicated to them dominating the opponent and then the opponent pulls his bullshit win card because they are going to be more important than them.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Okay that duel between Yuya and Gongenzaka was pretty great.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

NikkolasKing posted:

1. Dark Zane who was a guy who only played card games to feel alive by causing pain to others and feeling pain in return

"Zane! What happened to you? You and your Cyber End Dragon used to share a special bond!"

"We still do. I can hear him right now, SCREAMING FOR MERCY. :twisted:"

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So I want to play the game without burning a bunch of cash on cards. What's the COA on that?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Devpro usually. Ygopro if you want to face computers.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Beef Waifu posted:

Oh man, Arc-V has been rough for the past like... 10 episodes. Among the duels we don't need to see for Yuya to get in the tournament there are actual interesting things happening in the background that we barely get to see. Every duel goes exactly the same and the only people who aren't Yuya so far that have dueled in this little time frame are the LDS Students and they get what Sawatari got, an entire episode dedicated to them dominating the opponent and then the opponent pulls his bullshit win card because they are going to be more important than them.

I was really mad that they jobbed out Yuzu's rival before she could get a rematch. As far as non-Yuya duels, I'm guessing the main reason we haven't gotten more is that this is the pendulum season and he's been the only one that had access to those cards.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Good thing that's drastically changing right now

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Eeevil posted:

I was really mad that they jobbed out Yuzu's rival before she could get a rematch. As far as non-Yuya duels, I'm guessing the main reason we haven't gotten more is that this is the pendulum season and he's been the only one that had access to those cards.

Yuzu got her rematch though. For how it resolved, there's no need for her and Masumi to have an intense duel again. I'm more hoping they actually do something with Masumi besides give her amnesia and write her out.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

dogsicle posted:

Yuzu got her rematch though. For how it resolved, there's no need for her and Masumi to have an intense duel again. I'm more hoping they actually do something with Masumi besides give her amnesia and write her out.

The problem isn't whether or not she got the rematch, it's that her opponent going down like a chump before she gets it makes the duel feel less important. Her rematch with Masumi was built up as this big thing that was going to show her growth as a duelist, but then Masumi gets taken out in two turns in a duel where she had a massive advantage. Fortunately the rematch was still a good duel, but it's hard to feel like Yuzu has come a long way when she's having an intense duel against someone who got destroyed that badly.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I can rationalize it with the XYZ dimension guys all being cheating assholes. Yuto said Sawatari was weak for using underhanded tactics, but they do that poo poo constantly.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Momomo posted:

I can rationalize it with the XYZ dimension guys all being cheating assholes. Yuto said Sawatari was weak for using underhanded tactics, but they do that poo poo constantly.

It's just the nature of the summon.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Eeevil posted:

Her rematch with Masumi was built up as this big thing that was going to show her growth as a duelist, but then Masumi gets taken out in two turns in a duel where she had a massive advantage. Fortunately the rematch was still a good duel, but it's hard to feel like Yuzu has come a long way when she's having an intense duel against someone who got destroyed that badly.

From what I hear, this is fairly realistic to the actual card game. :shrug:

I hope we get a Yuzu v. Selena fight. It would seem kind of a waste if all the doppelgangers get written out without clashing with their counterparts. We kind of got that with Yuto, but he jobbed out for not being a massive dick. (Also, just like the actual card game.)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

From what I hear, this is fairly realistic to the actual card game. :shrug:

I hope we get a Yuzu v. Selena fight. It would seem kind of a waste if all the doppelgangers get written out without clashing with their counterparts. We kind of got that with Yuto, but he jobbed out for not being a massive dick. (Also, just like the actual card game.)

Shun's the more interesting dude from the XYZ dimension anyway.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Can't wait for Shun to chump out all those dudes playing a card game in a suit of loving armor lol.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Can't wait for Shun to chump out all those dudes playing a card game in a suit of loving armor lol.

Honestly, considering how dangerous Action Duels get (Sora nearly gets crushed by a building, Masumi and Yuzu nearly fall to their deaths...), I can't blame anyone for wanting more protection. Plus, it makes them the perfect counter to Ryouzanpaku, as their violent tactics would be completely useless against someone in armour.

Sadly we'll never get to see that happen, because I'd love a Ryouzanpaku rear end in a top hat get humilliated by a Knight.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Honestly, considering how dangerous Action Duels get (Sora nearly gets crushed by a building, Masumi and Yuzu nearly fall to their deaths...), I can't blame anyone for wanting more protection. Plus, it makes them the perfect counter to Ryouzanpaku, as their violent tactics would be completely useless against someone in armour.

Sadly we'll never get to see that happen, because I'd love a Ryouzanpaku rear end in a top hat get humilliated by a Knight.

Good ol' Pocket Sand and they're doomed. Playing card games in a suit of armor is dumb no matter what (but I like that, I want dumb gimmicks)

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Eeevil posted:

The problem isn't whether or not she got the rematch, it's that her opponent going down like a chump before she gets it makes the duel feel less important. Her rematch with Masumi was built up as this big thing that was going to show her growth as a duelist, but then Masumi gets taken out in two turns in a duel where she had a massive advantage. Fortunately the rematch was still a good duel, but it's hard to feel like Yuzu has come a long way when she's having an intense duel against someone who got destroyed that badly.

Is it really that bad that Masumi got beaten by Shun? The dude is Arc-V's incarnation of power creep. Taking his win at face value and using it to devalue Masumi's skills isn't really the point.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

dogsicle posted:

Is it really that bad that Masumi got beaten by Shun? The dude is Arc-V's incarnation of power creep. Taking his win at face value and using it to devalue Masumi's skills isn't really the point.

I don't really get what the point was, then. It's not like she had to get beaten before they could show off LDS brainwashing tech.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Eeevil posted:

I don't really get what the point was, then. It's not like she had to get beaten before they could show off LDS brainwashing tech.

to make Shun, he's probably aiming to be a top villain down the line, look like a top poo poo. To establish his playing strategy, so that when he dueled Sora people knew his cards and basic gameplan. It's common story telling, you have the new threat arrive and defeat previously established characters to set up the eventual showdown with the hero. How is Yuya going to get past his Lanius spam?

EDIT: It's the same reason that Yuto completely squashed Sawatari.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 14, 2015

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Onmi posted:

to make Shun, he's probably aiming to be a top villain down the line, look like a top poo poo. To establish his playing strategy, so that when he dueled Sora people knew his cards and basic gameplan. It's common story telling, you have the new threat arrive and defeat previously established characters to set up the eventual showdown with the hero. How is Yuya going to get past his Lanius spam?

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. The point of the duel was for him to make the previously threatening LDS trio look like chumps, but they did that while Masumi was still Yuzu's main rival.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Onmi posted:

I doubt Shun's going to be a villain, let alone one of the main villains. He's definitely going to be a major adversary though and is built up as easily the most dangerous person in the tournament and probably the guy who will face Yuya in the finals.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Eeevil posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. The point of the duel was for him to make the previously threatening LDS trio look like chumps, but they did that while Masumi was still Yuzu's main rival.

No the point of the duel was to make the previously unestablished Shun look threatening and dangerous.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Onmi posted:

No the point of the duel was to make the previously unestablished Shun look threatening and dangerous.

Right, by having him take down the LDS duelists really easily.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Eeevil posted:

Right, by having him take down the LDS duelists really easily.

Yes, the same duelists who gave our protagonists a ridiculously tough time. "Man if this guy had fought Yuya, Yuzu and Gongenzaka he would have destroyed them." is the message you're meant to take not "Look at how much of a geek the LSD trio is."

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Onmi posted:

Yes, the same duelists who gave our protagonists a ridiculously tough time. "Man if this guy had fought Yuya, Yuzu and Gongenzaka he would have destroyed them." is the message you're meant to take not "Look at how much of a geek the LSD trio is."

So, just to be clear about whether or not we're actually arguing about anything here, do you actually think it was important to the show's narrative that they have Masumi get beaten before Yuzu got a rematch with her? Because I think it would be really easy to establish Shun as a strong duelist without him having to specifically beat Masumi, and I do genuinely think that jobbing someone out devalues them as a threat, even if that isn't the intent.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The LSD trio is there to job though. Not only the Shun duel, Yaiba getting beaten by Kachidoki and Hokuto getting carded off-screen by Selena make it absolutely clear that they're there less to create proper rivalries and more to show just how dangerous other people are.

Kind of sucks since I like them, but I seriously doubt they'll have a good win/loss record if they continue being used like this.

About the Shun/trio fight in specific, I honestly don't think it does anything to Yuzu and Masumi's rivalry. Shun is super powerful. Masumi is strong, just not as strong as Shun. Yuzu was weaker than Masumi when they fought, thus she's weaker than Shun as well. Simple. It doesn't make Masumi weaker in general, just in comparison to one of the top tier threats in this series, who we know is stronger than basically everyone not named Reiji.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Eeevil posted:

So, just to be clear about whether or not we're actually arguing about anything here, do you actually think it was important to the show's narrative that they have Masumi get beaten before Yuzu got a rematch with her? Because I think it would be really easy to establish Shun as a strong duelist without him having to specifically beat Masumi, and I do genuinely think that jobbing someone out devalues them as a threat, even if that isn't the intent.

I don't think it was necessary, But I do understand why they did it. That is my argument in short. At the time they had very few established characters. And they defeated the ones who they figured they could beat without having to beat one of the Trio, Sora who was set up for a later duel, Reiji who can't really afford to lose, or that wouldn't make sense (You Show in general, Sawatari, Yuto)

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Eeevil posted:

I think you're glossing over a second component here, that Masumi went out and challenged Shun because she cares enough about her professor and has the drive to try to avenge him. That Hokuto and Yaiba back her up show how close friends they all are. It's a duel that demonstrates more of the Xyz guys' strength and gives depth to the LDS kids' characters.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Well the thread basically went over my thoughts already. :v:

Masumi is also the only of the Trio to not fall into jobbing hell so far, so I'm more forgiving of her loss there anyway. As imperfect as the female characters are, they're still given a better showing than most other series.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Also helps keep a 'skill' goal post going for the protagonists. Yuya beat the purple guy and immediately lost to Reiji, so he still needed to get better mainly with mastering all summonings, Gongenzaka and Yuzu tied and lost their duels so they had to get better, we got Yuzu getting better and dealing with Yuto as a subplot for a long while, then before Gongenzaka or Yuzu can prove they reached the milestone they wanted we see Shun destroy that milestone, meaning that once Yuzu and Gong passed it they still had a lot of room to grow before they can face Academia or anything dealing with the major story arc.
Shun beating any other chumps would just make us wonder on his power level and guess that the top of LDS could probably beat him, then we'd call bullshit, say, five episodes from now when he beats someone important despite that someone having trained so much, or alternatively Shun easily beats Masumi and the rest and we wonder what was the point of Yuzu reaching her goalpost if it's moved a second afterwards.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Also helps keep a 'skill' goal post going for the protagonists. Yuya beat the purple guy and immediately lost to Reiji

Yuya didn't lose to Reiji though, the duel was cut short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yuya didn't lose to Reiji though, the duel was cut short.

Yuya basically lost to Reiji. And even he admits that he won on chance and not merit.