Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I got my Chromecast in and setup today. It's a neat device, especially for being so cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Getimmaaw
Dec 22, 2006
Probably over looking it but does the genesis addon have the capability to subscribe to a show and have the option to list when a new episode comes on? I want to do this for multiple shows. If theres a guide i could be pointed to, that would be great. I am using a firetv if that matters.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
Ok guys, quick question that I hope you can answer?

I have to replace my old LaCie LaCinema HD - can't play mp4 files or anything newer than .avi, and deceided to go for a Raspberry Pi setup running Raspbmc.

Does any of you guys have experience in setting a system like that up? I mean, I've ordered the board, case, power supply and Flicr dongle - do I need a keyboard and mouse to set it up?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Kidney Stone posted:

Ok guys, quick question that I hope you can answer?

I have to replace my old LaCie LaCinema HD - can't play mp4 files or anything newer than .avi, and deceided to go for a Raspberry Pi setup running Raspbmc.

Does any of you guys have experience in setting a system like that up? I mean, I've ordered the board, case, power supply and Flicr dongle - do I need a keyboard and mouse to set it up?

You're better off following a guide like this one: http://mymediaexperience.com/raspberry-pi-xbmc-with-raspbmc/

And then asking any specific questions you have that come out of that process here. What you are asking now, before you start, is kind of open-ended.

The short answer is there isn't a lot to it and it's pretty easy but a nice guide will make it less of a hassle.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Ixian posted:

You're better off following a guide like this one: http://mymediaexperience.com/raspberry-pi-xbmc-with-raspbmc/

And then asking any specific questions you have that come out of that process here. What you are asking now, before you start, is kind of open-ended.

The short answer is there isn't a lot to it and it's pretty easy but a nice guide will make it less of a hassle.

Thanks, I'll look into the guide and see where I end up :)

NiVRaM88
May 19, 2009
What's the recommended guide and Kodi version to install on the Amazon Fire TV? I've read through kodi.wiki/view/Amazon_Fire_TV and am thinking of using either the official build or elmerohueso's version but wanted to check for goon advice first.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

NiVRaM88 posted:

What's the recommended guide and Kodi version to install on the Amazon Fire TV? I've read through kodi.wiki/view/Amazon_Fire_TV and am thinking of using either the official build or elmerohueso's version but wanted to check for goon advice first.

I covered it in the Fire TV thread. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3644021 You can't go wrong with the official build.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I have an HTPC in my living room running Linux + XBMC frontend and I'd like to be able to watch shows in another room. What's a good, cheap set-top box or stick that will be able to access all the media from my network share and play it?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Richard M Nixon posted:

I have an HTPC in my living room running Linux + XBMC frontend and I'd like to be able to watch shows in another room. What's a good, cheap set-top box or stick that will be able to access all the media from my network share and play it?

Androidtv/firetv/firetvstick

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003
The Most Pop-tastic Man of Action.

Don Lapre posted:

Androidtv/firetv/firetvstick

That's the "new" way now that this stuff is all mainstream I guess, there's also Raspberry Pi, and old (-ish) laptop running OpenELEC if you're a tinkerer type.

Ignore this post if you want to get right into XBMC as a step two "out of the box".

NiVRaM88
May 19, 2009

Call Me Charlie posted:

I covered it in the Fire TV thread. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3644021 You can't go wrong with the official build.

Of course, I should have checked for a Fire TV thread. Thanks.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I recently upgraded from an always-on ZBox running OpenElec with an external HDD to a NAS + ZBox combo. I moved all the always-on server stuff to the NAS so now we turn the OpenELEC off and on as we watch. I also set up a MySQL library on the NAS. My question is: is it possible to get the NAS to update the MySQL library when stuff is added to its sources? It seems weird to have the sources and the library metadata to be on the same machine but the library only updates when a Kodi client connects. Sometimes it can take a while if there's a bunch of new stuff. (especially ATM as we are consolidating our media onto the NAS. not sure how annoying it will be in the future)

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I dont know how much stuff you are adding at a time but updating a few items takes about zero time.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

OK, to be fair, the last time I turned it on I had since added many GBs of music so it was a bit slow as it scanned through that. Maybe it won't be a problem in the future. Or maybe my NAS is slow, or the network between them. IIRC, "scan for new content" was always slow even when there was nothing new but maybe that's something else... Well, probably not a big deal, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some part of setup up a SQL library that I was missing. If it turns out to be slow in practice I'll look into it then.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

If you are adding all the nfo information yourself it is pretty quick, but if Kodi is scanning and scraping the info for you it can take a bit. I've come to the middle ground of using something like MediaElch for movies and using Filezilla to rename TV to the format that Kodi scrapes in, which is via TVDB. I'd your stuff is named in such a way, it scans and adds much faster.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

SurgicalOntologist posted:

I recently upgraded from an always-on ZBox running OpenElec with an external HDD to a NAS + ZBox combo. I moved all the always-on server stuff to the NAS so now we turn the OpenELEC off and on as we watch. I also set up a MySQL library on the NAS. My question is: is it possible to get the NAS to update the MySQL library when stuff is added to its sources? It seems weird to have the sources and the library metadata to be on the same machine but the library only updates when a Kodi client connects. Sometimes it can take a while if there's a bunch of new stuff. (especially ATM as we are consolidating our media onto the NAS. not sure how annoying it will be in the future)

I run an instance of XBMC on my server so the TV shows are always up to date when we sit down on the couch.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

wolfbiker posted:

I run an instance of XBMC on my server so the TV shows are always up to date when we sit down on the couch.

If you are using sickbeard you can just have it notify XBMC to update after a download.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

wolfbiker posted:

I used to do this, but once I started leaving one of my HTPC's on all the time I stopped. But...I might go back to this sort of setup once that headless XBMC project becomes an official thing.

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

If you are using sickbeard you can just have it notify XBMC to update after a download.

I was going to point this out but that feature still requires a running instance of xbmc, if you've got sickbeard running on your NAS with MySQL and your xbmc is off, your DB isn't updated.

Weird but I also don't shut down my xbmc box, or my NAS.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Yeah I believe we were talking about keeping your NAS always running but not your HTPC. At least that's what I was asking about.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Will upgrading to the newest version of Kodi remove all my installed plugins and settings?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Bigass Moth posted:

Will upgrading to the newest version of Kodi remove all my installed plugins and settings?

Not if you are already on kodi

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Remember when I posted about buying a Chromecast because the WIIU YT app doesn't allow you to search for videos while playing another one back anymore?

So, check this: the WIIU YT app acts as a Chromecast server now. Same queue management and everything. I'll probably give the Cgimecast to my dad or something.

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003

EC posted:

Remember when I posted about buying a Chromecast because the WIIU YT app doesn't allow you to search for videos while playing another one back anymore?

So, check this: the WIIU YT app acts as a Chromecast server now. Same queue management and everything. I'll probably give the Cgimecast to my dad or something.

Put that same feature in XMBC and we can all be happy without having to get a second device.

What about VEVO music videos, will Wii U play em?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

eltoozero posted:

Put that same feature in XMBC and we can all be happy without having to get a second device.

I'll try it out and let you know.

And yeah, someone smarter than me should make an addon that replicates the functionality (and then abandon it when XBMC is updated)

NiVRaM88
May 19, 2009
What's the best method to share files from osx? This will be streaming to an Amazon Fire TV with XBMC if it matters.

I tried SMB via SMBUp and found it to be very buggy, and then I tried NFS Manager but couldn't continue because I'm sharing an exfat drive. Any other advice? This is for my brother and I'm not very familiar with osx.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

eltoozero posted:

Doesn't look like it, at least from the Vevo iOS app. It recognized my two AirPlay targets, but didn't see the Chrimecast/WIIU at all.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
I have a Raspberry Pi running Kodi (RaspBMC) that is serving as the source of a shared library via upnp, and all of a sudden I can't navigate TV shows on a Kodi client on windows using upnp. When I click on the TV show it throws an error about the media not being able to play, and dumps and error in the log file saying it can't open a jpeg that turns out to be the show title fanart. This has worked previously so it has to be something that showed up in a recent version. Every other type of media works, just not TV shows.

Has anyone seen this or know how to troubleshoot it?

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003

Naffer posted:

I have a Raspberry Pi running Kodi (RaspBMC) that is serving as the source of a shared library via upnp, and all of a sudden I can't navigate TV shows on a Kodi client on windows using upnp. When I click on the TV show it throws an error about the media not being able to play, and dumps and error in the log file saying it can't open a jpeg that turns out to be the show title fanart. This has worked previously so it has to be something that showed up in a recent version. Every other type of media works, just not TV shows.

Has anyone seen this or know how to troubleshoot it?

UPnP sharing is experimental until proven otherwise, add the same shares to your windows Kodi client, your problems will disappear.

EC posted:

Doesn't look like it, at least from the Vevo iOS app. It recognized my two AirPlay targets, but didn't see the Chrimecast/WIIU at all.

Try from YouTube, not the iOS app; CC via iOS only works with Hulu, YouTube, Netflix and probably something else that's worthless.

Nice that it closes that gap of basically all the poo poo you wish worked right in XBMC.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Smart playlists are great, especially when you have a large library, I need to mess around with them more. I have mine setup so recently added shows movies when added, which I found somewhat annoying when I wanted to find a new movie, like I went on a spree a while back and added a bunch of classic films. I remembered Smartlists though, and made a New Releases submenu item that shows all movies after 2011, with a playcount of 0, sorted by year. I'm kind of split between sort by date added and year though. Date added may be a bit better overall since I tend to get the new stuff as it comes out. Wish there was a sort by release date option, would be a bit better than by year. 2014 has 75 unwatched movies, 2013 has 74.

What other uses for smartlists have you found?

Tanbo fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 22, 2015

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I have a few for Rifftrax, since I get their shorts. Here's my settings for them:

Basically, it makes sure I'm doing ones I haven't watched a lot, and I have a hard limit to make sure I won't see it again in a half year's time at least. After my 4th watch, they'll go away until the new stuff is caught up with the old stuff. I don't sort by year or add date, as the play count is really how new it is, to me anyways. I might go back and get some MST3k DVD set, rip the short in front of the full length movie, and it will be at zero plays for me. But the year would be in the 90s. Every once in a while I'll toggle between "least often played" and "least recently played".

I also have one for unwatched flims too. That's just "plays - is - 0" and Any of the following: "media kind is movies/TV Shows/Home Video" (3 different lines).

My stuff for new music is for the insane people like myself, but that might apply for movies as well, if you're interested.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Anybody have any sweet setups for their Cinema Experience?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Wow, your bump just made me realize I replied earlier thinking I was in the wrong app's thread. :suicide:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I'm currently rebuilding my XBMC/KODI box after a memory failure. I've installed KODI and am also adding ROM Browser, as I would like to run emulators off the system as well.

I understand that a lot of emulators have a hard time seeing files outside the local file system. Is it possible to map a share to a ROM storage folder on my network, or is it just better to have the ROMs stored locally on the HDD or SD card? Normally, I wouldn't have a problem storing locally, but I'm using an old SSD and space is at a premium.

Also, back when I installed XBMC years ago, I seem to recall having to install a library update plugin for both movies and TV - I don't see that in the plugin list anymore. Is that something that was integrated into KODI, or am I missing something?

EDIT: I found that the TVDB and Movie plugins are integrated. I don't remember if this was the case on previous versions, but it really doesn't matter.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 24, 2015

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

89 posted:

Anybody have any sweet setups for their Cinema Experience?

Yup. I use it when hosting movie nights. Basically to show off a thx trailer and some slides while everyone grabs a seat

I uploaded this a couple years back

XBMC Cinema Experience demo playing Oblivion: http://youtu.be/XNGr4t99jwA

jonathan fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 24, 2015

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

jonathan posted:

XBMC Cinema Experience demo playing Oblivion: http://youtu.be/XNGr4t99jwA

Your video there is private, bub.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Uthor posted:

Your video there is private, bub.

Might be due to me deleting that stupid Google+ poo poo. I can't fix that at the moment.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

berzerkmonkey posted:

I understand that a lot of emulators have a hard time seeing files outside the local file system. Is it possible to map a share to a ROM storage folder on my network, or is it just better to have the ROMs stored locally on the HDD or SD card? Normally, I wouldn't have a problem storing locally, but I'm using an old SSD and space is at a premium.

In my experience, trying to run roms over the network is laggy as poo poo. I think I did some mild trickery with symbolic links and a mounted network share, and it was a mostly miserable experience.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
I've mounted both cifs and NFS shares and loaded roms from them without any problems, it depends on your setup really. All my stuff is in zipped archives and as I'm using RetroArch I can easily tell it to load a game into RAM on launch, it's completely painless really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've been having Kodi 14.1 dumping main Nexus Player Dashboard recently when browsing around (not while playing a movie). Anyone else experiencing this ?