Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Slavvy posted:

That is ratshit. The emotional anguish of this is out of all proportion to the actual damage that's usually done.

Literally scratched mirror and blinker. Fairing was fine. Still, that kickstand isn't standing on anything less than concrete from now on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Barnsy posted:

Literally scratched mirror and blinker. Fairing was fine. Still, that kickstand isn't standing on anything less than concrete from now on.

I used to carry a crushed soda/beer can for that reason.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Mine tended to slip on cans, so I got the kiwav stand pad. Would highly recommend. Bigger than the image makes it seem.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

gently caress.

Bike's fixed, but I'm still broken. Anyone want a Uly while I get good at walking again?

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
Were you riding it in the snow?

Sorry can't purchase a Buell, I have a strict no-buell edict from my wife.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Giblet Plus! posted:

Were you riding it in the snow?

Sorry can't purchase a Buell, I have a strict no-buell edict from my wife.

I wish. Six months ago I wadded into a barrier on the interstate like a loving dong. My left ankle took the brunt of the damage, but the buell's been in the shop forever because I guess ordering parts is hard or something (or else the guy just likes having a shop full of half-fixed motorcycles).

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Safety Dance posted:

Bike's fixed, but I'm still broken. Anyone want a Uly while I get good at walking again?

I wish. I have a case of runners knee and can't do poo poo other than lounge until my patella quits being a twat. :(

E: I'mma go riding tomorrow cause gently caress that poo poo I'll just drop the right foot at stoppies.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
I'm partially finished with my Supermoto to Unicycle conversion.

(It's getting a new chain, sprockets, "axle sliders", and fork oil/seals)

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I found out that the rear brake had ground down into the rotor and will now have to be replaced. It's curious, because I still had plenty of brake pad left over just a month or so ago. Thinking I may need to see if I can stomp my foot and get warranty coverage for it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Started it up, took it for a spin. The push rods sound so terrible after sitting for a few months and all the oil drained off them, but after a scoot around the block it had a more typical cacophony going. Then I drained the oil because an oil line goes through the factory muffler mount, you know because it can, and I am going back to a more-stock config after exploding the jardine trash can.

Did that about the same time as my Ranger's oil. I think more came out of the bike than the truck. Maybe I watch the oil level from now on. When was the last time I even changed it, 2013?

Also put a pipe expander to the new used "perfect condition" muffler's bent-to-hell inlet pipe so maybe I can put my header in it. Seems... round enough now.

Finally I brought the hipster bikes home. I need to get the DT running before Backfire starts up in Seattle so I can bring it down there and sell it for 3x what I'm into it for.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

clutchpuck posted:

oil line goes through the factory muffler mount, you know because it can,

Mercedes' new motto.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I tried to start it up.

Even the modern, fuel injected R1 won't start when it's 0 loving degrees outside. :(

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

M42 posted:

Finished up the tail. Before/after (sorry for the vertical video :downs:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugsEqEjnaZA

How could anyone look at the previous tail light and think "Yeah, cars will deffo see that."

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Elviscat posted:

I tried to start it up.

Even the modern, fuel injected R1 won't start when it's 0 loving degrees outside. :(

Are you sure it hasn't got italian electronics?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Installed a new battery. Original was a Yuasa YTZ14S that everywhere I looked wanted $150+ for (Amazon wants $151 for it, http://www.amazon.com/Yuasa-YUAM72Z14-YTZ14S-Battery/dp/B0024VFY86, http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/yuasa-ytz14s-factory-activated-agm-high-performance-battery, etc. Cycle Gear wants $207 for it. ).

Picked one up at the Yamaha shop a couple blocks away that I'd never been to before. They sold it to me for $99. Yay! :woop:

Rode my bike to work on Friday, took a half second longer to crank than usual, which should have tipped me off that the battery was going out, rode it to work, and that night when I went out to ride home, turned the key on, lights came up as normal, but the starter would barely spin once or twice before stuttering out. Was lucky enough to get a push start from another rider and rode it home. The battery's been in there for at least three years (same battery that was in it when I bought the bike), and I'm guessing the sub 50F temps it was sitting in Friday night were enough to push it over the edge. I've intermittently hooked it up to my big battery charger over the past two winters when I wasn't riding as often, but it's a hassle to hook it up all the time since the charger is a full size one and only has clamps on the end of the cable and requires me pulling the seat off and removing the battery to get the clamps onto the terminals. My Bike's PO had a battery tender pigtail already installed, but I didn't have a tender that could plug into it, so I also went today and picked up a Battery Tender Jr. so that it'll be easier to keep it plugged in consistently. Bonus is that the pigtail that came with the Battery Tender can now go on my Goldwing so both bikes can be plugged in as needed.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Chris Knight posted:

How could anyone look at the previous tail light and think "Yeah, cars will deffo see that."
It's fairly often I see custom blinkers like that at the shop, some worse even, and I reject some of them for state inspection. I get the impression from the emotional state of the owners that I might be the only guy around rejecting them, or maybe people who put those things on their bikes are just emotionally unstable.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Bro I go so fast I don't need blinkers on the back cause nobody ever sees them anyway.

Also mirrors.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Well, sure, mirrors cause blind spots after all.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

Well, sure, mirrors cause blind spots after all.

:psyduck: tell me this isn't something someone actually said somewhere. Please.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

Can you see the road through your mirrors? No?

Checkmate. I rest my case.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Well, it finally happened. I "bought insurance"... meaning that hopefully there is a 14k mile engine from a wrecked Firebolt on its way to me for the Ulysses.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I shoveled it out of a snow pile :sigh:

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

Well, it finally happened. I "bought insurance"... meaning that hopefully there is a 14k mile engine from a wrecked Firebolt on its way to me for the Ulysses.

What year is your bike and the donor engine?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Bike is '06, engine is '05. I want a '08+ engine but I don't want to replace my loom.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

Bike is '06, engine is '05. I want a '08+ engine but I don't want to replace my loom.

Ah cool, no doubt it'll be fresher than your old engine the 05 does have a few disadvantages:
-5k instead of 10k trans oil change interval
-harder shifting
-in 06 they improved the oil pump drive gear

Yeah a 08+ engine would be sweet but I yeah the loom would be different. Crank instead of cam sensor, IAC valve, who knows what they changed about the ECU pinout.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I do primary with engine oil, so I don't think I've even put 5k on a change. The oil pump drive gear is an easy-peasy (if overpriced) upgrade from Al at American Sport Bike, plus my '06 engine has one already. The old '06 probably shifts rougher than it should, but maybe I should pay attention to the primary chain at some point.

An '08+ engine needs a new harness, ecm, fuel pump, and throttle cables. If I'm honest, I really just want the beefier crank off one, and even then mostly just because, so I'm going with "not worth the effort".

Today a new pair of spark plug wires, headlight bracket (de-beaked it!), and EBC sintered front brake pads arrived from ASB. Wasn't expecting them so soon. Near future: replace the muffler and rotate the engine for intake seals and cleaning, the throttle body is a gigantic mess of 60k worth of road grime.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

OK, I checked just in case: it wasn't "cause," so my apologies for mis-remembering/taking that out of context:

Detroit117 posted:

Yeah, I do ride on the street with no mirrors. Know its illegal, but I have never been hassled about it. Really do not like mirrors. They can be distracting, have blind spots, and can mess with your depth perception. So I don't use them. I always look before I change lanes or something like that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Good lord. How do mirrors mess with your depth perception :wtc:

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

Slavvy posted:

Good lord. How do mirrors mess with your depth perception :wtc:
They aren't the exact view you get by turning your body/head a complete 180 degrees behind you to look, totally useless.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I ride with one mirror and I don't miss the other one. Dropping to 0 would be weird tho. Mine acts more like a rear view than a side view mirror.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gillingham posted:

They aren't the exact view you get by turning your body/head a complete 180 degrees behind you to look, totally useless.

I, too, wish I was an owl.

nsaP posted:

I ride with one mirror and I don't miss the other one. Dropping to 0 would be weird tho. Mine acts more like a rear view than a side view mirror.

Rode a few times with just one. The degradation in awareness going from 2 > 1 is tiny compared to going from n > 0. I felt blind riding my mate's mirrorless bike (didn't help that the brakes barely worked and the clutch was hair-trigger).

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I have one mirror but I think I'm going to go back to two, we have a lot of riders here, in particular a lot of kids on scooters who have a habit of following too close and often on the side I don't have a mirror on. Often times I don't know they're there until I hear the wasp-in-a-tin-can-at-130db "performance" exhaust that they have decided to rob the mid-range and fuel mixture with.

Unrelated, a few weeks ago I replaced the battery on the 690 with a Shorai lithium. Mostly out of curiosity. The weight saving is noticeable, but only subtly, like the difference between a full and empty tank. The KTM doesn't weigh much to begin with and holds the battery very high in the frame, I can't see it being noticeable on my R1, for example. It is definitely easier to get in and out, as the SMC wiring loom must be held to one side to pull the battery (and it's still a snug fit even then) leaving you to wrestle it out with one hand. It's been cold (0-5 degC) so I've been following the recommendation in the manual to turn on the headlight for 30s or so to warm the battery before cranking, but I've forgotten a couple of times and it still cranked fine.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I bled the brakes, which was a doddle thanks the the swedish penis enlarger looking device my dad bought to do just that (bleed brakes, that is).
I also changed the oil and made a huge mess of things; not only in the garage, but the oil drains over one of my exhaust tips, and as those have an inner/outer pipe it collected in there and end up dripping out over the driveway later on. Also I always use the K&N oil filters with the nut on the end and idk if it's just the material being so soft but I always end up stripping it using a wrench, however channel locks made quick work of it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
So, designing an adapter for any standard UJM flip-up cap for use on the enfield. The enfield has two mounting holes an odd distance apart from each other.

Version 1:

(Too weak, cutout too deep)

Version 2:

(Printed funny [fixed printer calibration], cutout too deep, holes wrong size)

Final revision:

Works beautifully.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Honestly, that looks like the mounting bolt will work it's way loose and eventually tear out.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
How so? It's embedded, final version will have a bit of epoxy or e6000 inside the hex cutout, and all it really does is keep the cap from spinning around. The cap itself locks in quite nicely with the key lock.

The one in the picture has 30% infill, the final version will be solid.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think I'm not picturing it properly because I'm not used to gas caps that look like that.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I got plates for quasimoto on the best coast.

bay area goons keep an eye out for a tall not so fat tractor rider going slow as balls over inappropriate objects.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Over the weekend I drove out to Albuquerque NM (From Dallas), installed a new ignition switch, and installed an alarm to an old GS450 I gave to my cousin. Some rear end in a top hat tried to steal her bike 3 or so weeks ago butchered the ignition switch before noticing that there was a lock on the brake disk. The jackasses then attacked the lock with no success and left the bike behind.

(BTW the Oxford hasp type lock she had on there kept the whole thing from being stolen)
http://oxford-products.com/us/products/HD-Mini-Shackle-Disc-Lock.html

The alarm system I installed was drat easy to put in and I will recommend it to anyone:
http://www.gorillacyclealarm.com/motorcycle.alarms

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Feb 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Replaced chain.