Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Sand Monster posted:

The echo of the gunfire in the shootout in Heat is amazing.
Most blanks are relatively quiet so Michael Mann uses hotter blanks in order to enhance the sound and give the actors more realistic look/feel for shooting.

Really cool behind the scenes that talks about the gunfire. I also like that the actors (in disguise) cased the bank in real life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW0yebyGk-8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
They also couldn't reproduce a better sounding gunshot in post so they used the live recordings. Awesome.

Die Hard also did bigger or more powerful blanks to make the actors react a bit more. Alan Rickman couldn't shoot them without flinching so all of his kills are hard cuts.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

JEEVES420 posted:

Most blanks are relatively quiet so Michael Mann uses hotter blanks in order to enhance the sound and give the actors more realistic look/feel for shooting.

Really cool behind the scenes that talks about the gunfire. I also like that the actors (in disguise) cased the bank in real life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW0yebyGk-8

I love that Val Kilmer's reload is used as an example for how to do it properly and fast.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Cage posted:

Die Hard also did bigger or more powerful blanks to make the actors react a bit more. Alan Rickman couldn't shoot them without flinching so all of his kills are hard cuts.

Apparently it permanently damaged Bruce Willis' hearing because of this scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7slAvhZhRw

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Mierenneuker posted:

Apparently it permanently damaged Bruce Willis' hearing because of this scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7slAvhZhRw

Same thing happened to Linda Hamilton in the elevator scene in Terminator 2. Worth it, I'd say.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Coffee And Pie posted:

Worth it, I'd say.

Oh, for sure. James Cameron married her and she got to ride the Titanic roller coaster of success before they got divorced. Who needs hearing when you get to sit up front at the Oscars?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I rewatched Grand Budapest Hotel again the other day, the benefit of having it on Blu-Ray is that you can pause on the quick shots of newspapers and read the text, which are all fully written articles, including the ones on plot-unrelated subjects like weather. The articles lay out the basic outline of the entire film, as well as all the background cultural events such as the war and the prevailing political opinion of the country at the time. There's also details of Zero's life post-film (all in the opening few minutes of the film), the events of which are what made him such a well-known and respected figure within the nation - such as his status as a war hero and active leader of the Resistance.

I love that such detail was included in a couple of shots that get maybe 2-3 seconds of screen time in the film, it made the whole (slightly ridiculous) world feel more real to me, like the characters had real history and that the world of the film didn't just exist to provide a backdrop for their adventures.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Sand Monster posted:

Oh, for sure. James Cameron married her and she got to ride the Titanic roller coaster of success before they got divorced. Who needs hearing when you get to sit up front at the Oscars?

What an incredibly bizarre thing to bring up.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
On The Wire, there's a reverend getting into a car, and a character is reciting the license plate back to the police on a cellphone. It's PR8ZGOD. Praise God.

I dunno how subtle it is or if I'm just thick, but it's flown past me the last handful of rewatches.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Actually it's "Prates God"

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
For being an intentionally stupid movie, Loaded Weapon 1 has some pretty solid continuity regarding props and set pieces.

After Colt rips off his arm, shirt sleeve and all, in the next scene you can see the shirt tear on his (now-reattached) shoulder. Got a good chuckle out of me that they actually cared about making a quality farce.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Archer season 6, episode 4 ends with a really nice Coen Brothers-esque shot with music that calls back to Fargo. The episode is set in Wisconsin.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

kizudarake posted:

Archer season 6, episode 4 ends with a really nice Coen Brothers-esque shot with music that calls back to Fargo. The episode is set in Wisconsin.

Also the guest star is the lead of the Fargo tv series

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

Also the guest star is the lead of the Fargo tv series

Martin Freeman?

He does a great female impression.

:thejoke:

Anil Dikshit has a new favorite as of 18:45 on Feb 14, 2015

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
In the season finale for Constantine, I thought it was pretty cool how Jim Corrigan was using a green pen. They also backlit him a LOT with green lights.

Nifty nod to the comics :)

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

In the season finale for Constantine, I thought it was pretty cool how Jim Corrigan was using a green pen. They also backlit him a LOT with green lights.

Nifty nod to the comics :)

I think my only complaint with that episode was the theme park they used. Most of the viewers aren't going to have the damnedest clue what that park was, but it was a little jarring for me because I recognized it more or less instantly. Had to keep reminding myself that yes, this episode is taking place in Louisiana, not a few miles from my house in Georgia.

On a positive note, they at least did use an actual closed and disused theme park rather than just making GBS threads up an active one and pretending that no one's going to notice that nothing but the few added props look remotely dirty or in disrepair.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Holy poo poo thefe's a Constantine tv show?

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Iggy Koopa posted:

Holy poo poo thefe's a Constantine tv show?

yeah and it's complete garbage.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
On a scale of 'Keanu Reeves is Constantine' to 'Virtigo Comics Hellblazer' how garbage is it's Constantine?

And on a similar note; on a scale of 'John Constantine' to 'a garbage can' how garbage is this Constantine?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Constantine in the TV version is played by Welsh actor Matt Ryan, better known as Edward Kenway in Assassin's Creed IV: Black Fag. Some of the stuff is directly taken from the comics but it also goes its own way, for example Chas in this is American and because of a spell John cast extremely hard to kill.

Also, while John is British he's hanging out in America for the series. The main premise of the series is that after the events of Newcastle John is tasked by an angel named Manny to battle something called "The Rising Darkness" where evil throughout America is getting stronger.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

umalt posted:

On a scale of 'Keanu Reeves is Constantine' to 'Virtigo Comics Hellblazer' how garbage is it's Constantine?

As somebody who has never read any Hellblazer comics, I actually liked the Keanue Reeves "Constantine" movie. I was originally dragged to see it with some friends and wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Eh! Frank posted:

As somebody who has never read any Hellblazer comics, I actually liked the Keanue Reeves "Constantine" movie. I was originally dragged to see it with some friends and wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised.

The Constantine movie is a fun little movie. I really enjoyed it. It just has absolutely nothing to do with the comics.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

umalt posted:

And on a similar note; on a scale of 'John Constantine' to 'a garbage can' how garbage is this Constantine?

I've never read a Constantine comic. The pilot got me really hopeful for the show but at the end of it they wrote out the interesting female lead and replaced her with an irritating one. It also became apparent that they were going for a monster of the week kind of thing and I really wasn't feeling it. I checked out sometime after he said some racist poo poo about jews.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

BrigadierSensible posted:

The Constantine movie is a fun little movie. I really enjoyed it. It just has absolutely nothing to do with the comics.

Yeah, if I hadn't gone in with the knowledge this was an adaptation of Hellblazer, I would have thought it was a fun if unremarkable movie. About the only scene I thought captured the spirit of Constantine at all was when he is being carried away by angels and takes the time to smugly flip the bird back at a :aaa: Satan.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

muscles like this? posted:

Constantine in the TV version is played by Welsh actor Matt Ryan, better known as Edward Kenway in Assassin's Creed IV: Black Fag. Some of the stuff is directly taken from the comics but it also goes its own way, for example Chas in this is American and because of a spell John cast extremely hard to kill.

Also, while John is British he's hanging out in America for the series. The main premise of the series is that after the events of Newcastle John is tasked by an angel named Manny to battle something called "The Rising Darkness" where evil throughout America is getting stronger.

I know you're probably phoneposting or something, but I laughed out loud at this and wanted to preserve it for future archive-readers.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
"She's Out of My League" - even though the main female lead is high fashion, she never wears open toed shoes, which makes sense when you figure out what her "defect" is.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Fag

I would play this game

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

That's the expansion where you play the escaped (freed?) slave, the first mate guy. I don't want to misspell his name so I'm not even gonna try but you all know who I mean.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

The Constantine tv show isn't that bad. The first maybe 5 episodes were not very good, but I like the show now.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

If I can't trust the opinions of Wiggles Von Huggins who can I trust, gonna check it out.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The first episode has kind of an awkward ending because they fired the original female lead after they filmed the pilot but instead of redoing it they just added a scene where John and Chas discuss how she's left and is definitely never ever coming back.

Also there was kind of a goofy thing early in the season where NBC didn't allow John to actually smoke so they kind of filmed around it. He'd be either just about to light a cigarette or just putting one out as a scene began. Then partway through the season it became obvious nobody cared anymore and he just started smoking regularly.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Then partway through the season it became obvious nobody cared anymore and he just started smoking regularly.
I wonder if they'll come to the same decision about his smoking pole.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's canceled so it doesn't matter anymore.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Aphrodite posted:

It's canceled so it doesn't matter anymore.

Well apparently it hasn't been cancelled or renewed at this point, so who knows.

Synonamess Botch posted:

checked out sometime after he said some racist poo poo about jews.

As someone who's never seen the show: What? Like, what did he say?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There was one episode where he made a disparaging comment toward Gypsies. Something like "there's nothing blacker than Gypsy magic."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Well apparently it hasn't been cancelled or renewed at this point, so who knows.

That means cancelled.

The latest rumors were Syfy was going to save it or something.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

There was one episode where he made a disparaging comment toward Gypsies. Something like "there's nothing blacker than Gypsy magic."

I might be wrong, but I don't think most Romani are Jewish.

Edit: Unless you just meant that as a general statement and not to answer the "when was Constantine an anti-semite" question.

Cat Hatter has a new favorite as of 15:07 on Feb 16, 2015

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Aphrodite posted:

The latest rumors were Syfy was going to save it or something.

That's a fate worse than death

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Cat Hatter posted:

I might be wrong, but I don't think most Romani are Jewish.

Edit: Unless you just meant that as a general statement and not to answer the "when was Constantine an anti-semite" question.

That was my bad it was gypsies not jews. I was barely hanging onto the show at that point and after hearing that poo poo I was like, welp, i'm done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Synonamess Botch posted:

That was my bad it was gypsies not jews. I was barely hanging onto the show at that point and after hearing that poo poo I was like, welp, i'm done.

What'd you think of Stephen King's Thinner?