Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Your embark area can intersect multiple regions. Only one's properties are shown on the embark screen at a time, the rest you can see with the function keys. Looks like you struck your flag on the edge of some sinister bog.

I promise, revolting muck and other nastiness only ever happens in evil purple biomes. Just keep your livestock clear from the nasty zone when it rains, you're safe from the stuff on the ground as long as your folks are wearing shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I had a biome where it rained poo, I haven't gotten something like that in some time. :smith:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Biomes make for some pretty interesting decisions. I normally avoid the purple unless I'm looking for Fun, but the savagery of an area can vary wildly and I normally go for more savage embarks because I think overall they tend to be more interesting, and arguably easier. The downside of savage areas is that more varied and dangerous wildlife spawns, but that can also mean you just get more stuff to hunt. Giant animals can be murder machines, but think of all the bones! And a lot of them lose a lot of their threat once you get some good armor on your dwarves. Most giant animals can be trained, so once you get some cage traps you can start an egg farm. A giant cockatiel egg farm. The real problem is that savage areas spawn humanoid enemies (running the gamut from aardvark man to wren man) and while they don't tend to be much more than a nuisance, you also can't butcher them.

On the upside, highwood shows up in savage areas, and it produces hell of wood compared to basically any other tree. Also, and I didn't know this, apparently whip vines only spawn in savage areas.

This may just be me, but if my fortress has to get killed off, I'd prefer it to be to a swarm of giant cockatiels. So don't be scared of savage embarks. After all, what could go wrong?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Apparently one of the Masterwork people modded in a net gun that cages whatever it hits. So basically as cheesy as cage traps already were, someone found a way to make them even cheesier. :thumbsup:

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Flesh Forge posted:

I had a biome where it rained poo, I haven't gotten something like that in some time. :smith:

This really makes me wonder what good-biome extreme procedural weather can do. Like, does it rain candy, puppies, and beer?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Good biomes in Masterwork have clouds of things like beer vapor and "milk and honey" although I have yet to get an off the wall type of rain.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

NeoGeo are you using the lazy newb pack? You can make the game look a lot better with the tilesets it gives you
.personally the Phoebus tileset is my favorite.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Flesh Forge posted:

Okay, it would smell bad, but imagine how fertile the soil must be!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Holy poo poo, living somewhere where it constantly rained poo poo would be horrible :barf:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I thought the game didn't have excrement in it.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Zereth posted:

"filth"

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Zereth posted:

Masterwork adds it. It was certainly interesting to see my captain of the guard jump off a mountain after dodging away from some poo poo a monkey threw at him and die.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Generated a new world and when I embarked I was warned that my civilization is dead or dying. Second year trade caravan told me pretty much everything is on fire. Third year the queen showed up. The civilization has been at war with the elves, and I guess we're the last bastion. Will the fortress and civilization get auto-destroyed if retired?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

One of the Masterwork evil rain types is literally feces.

quote:

Will the fortress and civilization get auto-destroyed if retired?

You have a unique opportunity for *SCIENCE* :science:

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I seem to recall Toady has posted about fixing that the attacker always wins in off-screen fights after worldgen, but I can't remember if that was in reference to a past release or a future one.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

PublicOpinion posted:

I seem to recall Toady has posted about fixing that the attacker always wins in off-screen fights after worldgen, but I can't remember if that was in reference to a past release or a future one.

Past. It's no longer true, though.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Hihohe posted:

NeoGeo are you using the lazy newb pack? You can make the game look a lot better with the tilesets it gives you
.personally the Phoebus tileset is my favorite.

Alternately, you can keep using ASCII, because ASCII looks fine :colbert:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah, not necessarily better, just different. I dislike the way a lot of tilesets look.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mad props to anyone who can deal with the default, extended ascii tileset, because I cannot. Even knowing what things are now enough to sort of figure out what I'm looking at while playing it with default ascii, it is just a huge turn off for me that I have no desire to indulge in whatsoever. It was not until Dwarf Fortress that I found a game where graphics are a deal-breaker for me, but there it is.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Problem is I started with a tileset. I cannot do ASCII. Maybe it's the other way around for people who started with the default.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Michaellaneous posted:

Problem is I started with a tileset. I cannot do ASCII. Maybe it's the other way around for people who started with the default.

I tried the game with ascii after reading boatmurdered, then walked away from it for two years. Picked it up again with the Phoebus graphics set after reading bravemule, and have loved it ever since.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
I can't stomach tilesets. Trying to figure out what everything was in bronzestabbed was a pain and it felt awkward as hell. I'm default ASCII all the way, now and forever. And without any of that squaring everything off crap either :bahgawd:

Seriously though, it isn't hard. Even after months or even years away from the game I still recognise everything, and quickly figure out all the new stuff. It can seem overwhelming at first, but I like it. It has character.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think the game would be definitely improved if every object could have a unique sprite, but currently that can't be done. Since you're going to need to abstract some symbols into multiple things anyway, I prefer ASCII, because then at least you don't have elven cities represented by tankards and so on.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I really like it when I get migrants that include people from an earlier abandoned fort, nickname and skills and all, that's neat.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Flesh Forge posted:

I really like it when I get migrants that include people from an earlier abandoned fort, nickname and skills and all, that's neat.

I don't, because it's always only ever vampires for me. :argh:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

RedTonic posted:

should've taken care of them the first time around :colbert:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

But seriously, try a tileset. its like upgrading from Nintendo to super Nintendo. They are cool and good.

I can play without tilesets just fine but it just makes the game so pretty that i need it now.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Bah, casual, MAYBE YOU SHOULD GO PLAY THE SIMS IT SOUNDS MORE YOUR SPEED

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Is there any way to set stockpiles to be a higher priority than other stockpiles? I kinda want to set my massive wood stockpile to be a lower priority for dwarves to haul to than other, more important stockpiles.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I actually really like the tilesets and I play other roguelikes with ascii on because dwarf fortress has a really bad ascii set.
Also it's already a tileset anyways.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Is there any way to set stockpiles to be a higher priority than other stockpiles? I kinda want to set my massive wood stockpile to be a lower priority for dwarves to haul to than other, more important stockpiles.

Not directly, but you can limit the number of simultaneous hauling jobs a stockpile can generate by assigning wheelbarrows.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Mygna posted:

Not directly, but you can limit the number of simultaneous hauling jobs a stockpile can generate by assigning wheelbarrows.

Oh cool, do wheelbarrows also increase the efficiency of hauling? I may need to build a few.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Oh cool, do wheelbarrows also increase the efficiency of hauling? I may need to build a few.

yes especially if you want an efficient smithy, carting ore to a smelter stockpile takes a lot longer without wheelbarrows.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Kind of, but not really. A dwarf can carry more stuff in a wheelbarrow than by hauling it manually, but the effort to set up a track network is exponentially more than the effort to just, y'know, get more dwarves.

Also last I heard there was still a bug / poorly thought-out feature where minecart hauling to a particular stockpile replaced regular hauling, meaning dwarves will only supply it if the wheelbarrow is available, which could actually make the stockpile less efficient in most situations.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
An object in a wheelbarrow counts as weighing nothing, so for heavy objects over long distances they make hauling single items go faster. The downside is a single stockpile maxes out at three wheelbarrows so if you want a bunch of haulers you need to make a bunch of smaller piles and also a bunch of wheelbarrows.

E: wheelbarrows don't need tracks; only minecarts need tracks. Wheelbarrows can even go up and down stairs. Wheelbarrow hauling does replace regular hauling, yes, but if I have the wheelbarrows I never want people moving stones by hand anyway.

PublicOpinion fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 14, 2015

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

PublicOpinion posted:

An object in a wheelbarrow counts as weighing nothing, so for heavy objects over long distances they make hauling single items go faster. The downside is a single stockpile maxes out at three wheelbarrows so if you want a bunch of haulers you need to make a bunch of smaller piles and also a bunch of wheelbarrows.

E: wheelbarrows don't need tracks; only minecarts need tracks. Wheelbarrows can even go up and down stairs.

Wheelbarrows are great for hauling stone. However, unless toady fixed it, any stockpile that uses bins and barrels should have them disabled as the haulers would carry the bin to the target item by hand, store it in the bin, return for the wheelbarrow, load the bin on it, then return to the stockpile.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
DFHack actually lets you assign an arbitrary number of wheelbarrows, and limiting the number of dwarves who can carry e.g. logs at any given time lets you maintain a massive stockpile without all work in your fortress grinding to a halt as half your population rushes outside whenever your carpenter fells a tree. Of course, setting up a quantum stockpile works just as well for that and saves a bunch of space at the same time.

Voliun
May 31, 2012

RedTonic posted:

At least you get vampires. I never get one no matter how many vampire curses I put in via advanced world gen. :colbert:

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'm glad I decided to try and get into DF. My fort is a complete mess, but it's actually more or less stable until something fucks up big time. I've got kitchens and a brewery churning out food and drink all day with a steady farm to support it, a workshop complex with multiple stockpile levels above and below it, probably enough bedding to handle all my dwarves until my fort collapses, a passable hospital, and plenty of goods to trade with caravans. A siege would probably steamroll my entire fort along with it's mighty military force of 4 mostly untrained migrants, but I'll just cross that bridge when I get to it.

Honestly, I'm at a loss on what to do next. I should probably set my military up a bit better, but other than that I'm not sure what I should do.

Here's most of what I have so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I started with Phoebus around DF2010 or so and now CLA "graphics" with TWBT is a happy medium. Retro flavor, but square, as God intended.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 14, 2015