Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Mentioning you dislike the "poor treatment" of female characters but want action-y stuff but didn't like Cowboy Bebop leaves the following list of anime:
-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Well okay, maybe the Hellsing Ultimate OVAs, for vampires and nazi zombie fun. It's up on Youtube et al.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Manhole is a good cop drama manga. Also there's a bioterrorism plot, but there's a good amount of cop drama.

Thank you, reading it now.

The Devil Tesla posted:

No matter what you call it, Patlabor owns.
'

Gonna check this too, cop or not, it looks pretty good.

DamnGlitch posted:

Actually yeah mad bull is pretty much it. Manga owns, OVA is hosed up in a very 80s way

Isn't the anime like really really hosed up? Remember seeing it somewhere, rape and violence and poo poo.

ViggyNash posted:

I will fight you. :colbert:

Not saying it's bad, I was too young to understand it when I watched SAC and I kinda have problems with understanding and keeping all the political stuff in my head, especially spoken. It's not really for me.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Just check the Seinen thread, theres lots of decent mystery/police/detective stuff there. I guess if you need Anime there is Monster? Not really a procedural in the technical sense but it's one of the best serious drama Anime ever and it's about murder and serial killer stuff.

I'll maybe check it out, I've been reading a lot of stuff written byJohn Douglas (the guy who established the behavoural unit in FBI) so real life cases of serial killers are more appealing to me. Almost any fiction with serial killers is so factually garbage that I don't care much for it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

AnacondaHL posted:

Well okay, maybe the Hellsing Ultimate OVAs, for vampires and nazi zombie fun. It's up on Youtube et al.

Also Baccano, I think.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

Mentioning you dislike the "poor treatment" of female characters but want action-y stuff but didn't like Cowboy Bebop leaves the following list of anime:
-

Off the top of my head, Fullmetal Alchemist (manga/Brotherhood) and Madoka Magica seem like good recommendations. Of course there's often going to be a debate about "poor treatment" of female characters in a particular series; the topic is a consistent way to open a :can:.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

RottenK posted:

I have watched Samurai Flamenco, liked all of it, even the middle part that a lot of people hate. What a fun and weird show.

It is the most spectacular roller-coaster of nonsense and batshit insanity, but it does not surprise me in the least that it's pretty divisive.

Male Tears posted:

Ok, I've repeatedly been asking for recommendations in all the wrong threads, so I think I'm now finally in the right place.

I only started watching anime about 2 years ago and I'm stuck on where to go from here.

These were the animes I liked:
- Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex
- Planetes
- Attack on Titan
- Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
- Serial Experiments Lain
- Mononoke

I didn't like these:
- Cowboy Bebop
- Darker than Black
- Samurai Flamenco
- Trinity Blood

I like action-oriented sci-fi, fantasy, and thrillers. No cutesy stuff. Prefer a plot-long story than individually contained episodes. Don't care about subs versus dubs. Can anyone give some good recommendations?

First of all, I think you should finish of the Abe trillogy since you watched Lain. Texhnolyze is bleak and depressing but has a fantastic roller-coaster of a story with a quite unique message (there is only one other show I can think of that comes even close). I won't say what because it spoils the story, unfortunately. Haibane Renmei is totally the opposite of Lain and Texhnolyze. It's a rather peaceful, straightforward drama about a group of angels who have no memory of their former lives. It's gorgeous and beautiful and tells a great story. And not cutesy in typical moe fashion.

You might like Gen Urobuchi shows like Fate/Zero and Psycho-Pass. His best is definitely Madoka Magica, but that might not get past your "no cutesy stuff" requirement. Give it at least a 3 episode test if you end up liking the other two, it's absolutely worth it.

Mors Rattus posted:

Also Baccano, I think.

There's never a bad time to recommend Baccano. The first season of Durarara is also pretty good, but the currently airing second season is more than worthy successor to Baccano..

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

You might like Gen Urobuchi shows like Fate/Zero and Psycho-Pass. His best is definitely Madoka Magica, but that might not get past your "no cutesy stuff" requirement. Give it at least a 3 episode test if you end up liking the other two, it's absolutely worth it.

Fate/Zero and Psycho-Pass (Edit: Season 1 of Psycho-Pass, I mean; Season 2 is crap) are good shows I would normally recommend, but I avoided mentioning them in this case because of the :can: I mentioned. Not even saying they're actually sexist, just that someone really uncomfortable with portrayals of sexual violence, etc. might take issue with them.

Rereading his posts more closely, though, it seems he/she mostly just doesn't like moeblobs, which means Fate/Zero and Psycho-Pass should be fine but Madoka might not be.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 13, 2015

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

Of course there's often going to be a debate about "poor treatment" of female characters in a particular series; the topic is a consistent way to open a :can:.

:thejoke:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

ViggyNash posted:

It is the most spectacular roller-coaster of nonsense and batshit insanity, but it does not surprise me in the least that it's pretty divisive.

First of all, I think you should finish of the Abe trillogy since you watched Lain. Texhnolyze is bleak and depressing but has a fantastic roller-coaster of a story with a quite unique message (there is only one other show I can think of that comes even close). I won't say what because it spoils the story, unfortunately. Haibane Renmei is totally the opposite of Lain and Texhnolyze.

I loved Lain and Haibane Renmei but watched like half of the first episode of Texhnolyze before I turned it off. I like weird poo poo but it felt like it was just being hard to understand to make the author feel smart rather than because there was some point to it.

With that said more people should watch Kaiba because it's really sad that such an incredibly compelling show gets skipped because it looks like a drug-fueled trace of Astro Boy.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Indeed, more people should watch Kaiba.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

I loved Lain and Haibane Renmei but watched like half of the first episode of Texhnolyze before I turned it off. I like weird poo poo but it felt like it was just being hard to understand to make the author feel smart rather than because there was some point to it.

With that said more people should watch Kaiba because it's really sad that such an incredibly compelling show gets skipped because it looks like a drug-fueled trace of Astro Boy.

Hard to understand? He's a prize fighter for the mob, got sick of the way he was being treated, punched a "client", got an arm and leg chopped off, doctor woman pities him and decides to give him cyborg parts. Did the lack of dialog throw you off or something, because there really isn't much more to it besides atmosphere and some world building.

Honestly, I liked that the introduction was presented that way. Anime has a very bad habit of treating the viewer like a baby, and this show was directed very differently.

Also, I just learned that the same guy, Hiroshi Hamasaki, also directed Steins;Gate and Blade and Soul. Not quite sure how to feel about that juxtaposition.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 13, 2015

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

ViggyNash posted:

First of all, I think you should finish of the Abe trillogy since you watched Lain. Texhnolyze is bleak and depressing but has a fantastic roller-coaster of a story with a quite unique message (there is only one other show I can think of that comes even close). I won't say what because it spoils the story, unfortunately. Haibane Renmei is totally the opposite of Lain and Texhnolyze. It's a rather peaceful, straightforward drama about a group of angels who have no memory of their former lives. It's gorgeous and beautiful and tells a great story. And not cutesy in typical moe fashion.

There's never a bad time to recommend Baccano. The first season of Durarara is also pretty good, but the currently airing second season is more than worthy successor to Baccano..

Thanks everybody, I appreciate recommendations like this and not the "you don't like Cowboy Bebop??" stuff. I didn't know Lain was part of a trilogy so I'll definitely check it out. And yeah, I guess when I said no cutesy, I meant no moe.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It isn't necessarily a trilogy that's connected plot-wise, but it's shows that share some core themes and ideas with a lot of the same staff involved, so it's sort of an unofficial trilogy.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Male Tears posted:

Thanks everybody, I appreciate recommendations like this and not the "you don't like Cowboy Bebop??" stuff. I didn't know Lain was part of a trilogy so I'll definitely check it out. And yeah, I guess when I said no cutesy, I meant no moe.

As said, it's not really a trilogy per say, but it's neat to think of them as one. If you were to think of Lain being a discussion on the nature of the mind, then Haibane Renmei is about the nature of the soul, and Texhnolyze is about the nature of the body, though I say Texhnolyze says more about the nature of society.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

ViggyNash posted:

Hard to understand? He's a prize fighter for the mob, got sick of the way he was being treated, punched a "client", got an arm and leg chopped off, doctor woman pities him and decides to give him cyborg parts. Did the lack of dialog throw you off or something, because there really isn't much more to it besides atmosphere and some world building.

Honestly I didn't give it much of a chance, I'm sure if I forced myself to watch it again then I could get something out of it. I wasn't much of a fan of the general aesthetic and with no dialogue there wasn't much else to go on and I wasn't enjoying watching it. I don't usually force myself to watch shows that I have an immediate "this doesn't seem like I will enjoy it" reaction to unless they come highly recommended and I'd heard a lot of comments to the tune of "this show is hard to view but you might like it".

Contrast that to something like Lain where there were often long periods without much happening but there was an ever present sense of tension and wrongness that made it extremely compelling.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

Honestly I didn't give it much of a chance, I'm sure if I forced myself to watch it again then I could get something out of it. I wasn't much of a fan of the general aesthetic and with no dialogue there wasn't much else to go on and I wasn't enjoying watching it. I don't usually force myself to watch shows that I have an immediate "this doesn't seem like I will enjoy it" reaction to unless they come highly recommended and I'd heard a lot of comments to the tune of "this show is hard to view but you might like it".

Contrast that to something like Lain where there were often long periods without much happening but there was an ever present sense of tension and wrongness that made it extremely compelling.

Dialog shows about halfway through the episode, if I remember correctly, so it's not all wordless. The lack of dialog is only ever that long for the introduction, I guess because he wanted the presentation to speak for itself. The show overall is a good mix of dialog, action, and drama.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Male Tears posted:

I know I said this like a page ago, but seriously, if you like action watch Sword of the Stranger. Pretty much the best fight animation ever done for an anime.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

Male Tears posted:

Something that really puts me off a lot of anime is poor treatment of female characters. I watched the first episode of Steins;Gate and I wasn't sure if Mayuri was supposed to be a really tall child or developmentally disabled. I'll keep watching, but her character is really grating.

The anime doesn't communicate this as much, but she's much smarter than she appears, just in different ways. She has a persona she puts on, due to a certain event in her past, there's a lot more going in her head than at first glance.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Cubemario posted:

The anime doesn't communicate this as much, but she's much smarter than she appears, just in different ways. She has a persona she puts on, due to a certain event in her past, there's a lot more going in her head than at first glance.

High emotional intelligence, not so much logical intelligence.

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs
Hey folks, I'm looking for some musical anime! Something with a plot that revolves around performing, making music, or even the industry in general. I love Beck and Kids on the Slope, so don't suggest those. I thought Detroit Metal City was just ok. Any genre is fine, though I'm not particularly fond of idol/jpop stuff. I'll still give a show about that stuff a chance though, if y'all think it's especially good.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Tarodia posted:

Hey folks, I'm looking for some musical anime! Something with a plot that revolves around performing, making music, or even the industry in general. I love Beck and Kids on the Slope, so don't suggest those. I thought Detroit Metal City was just ok. Any genre is fine, though I'm not particularly fond of idol/jpop stuff. I'll still give a show about that stuff a chance though, if y'all think it's especially good.

Sadly, I think you've tapped out good music anime with Beck & KotS. All that's left is mediocre idol stuff like Idolmaster & Love Live and moe slice of life like K-On. I guess some of the Macross stuff might count? The music in the Macross I've seen is peripheral to the plot but central to the themes.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Goons, thank you for recommending Mushishi to me. I wasn't prepared for it, and it was right up my alley.

Of course, this means I'll be begging for something that's a good follow-up to Mushishi.

(I still have Planetes queued)

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Tarodia posted:

nerima daikon brothers is a musical show. basically japanese blues brothers. it's not great though and if you've seen 1 episode you've seen them all but since its all on youtube it doesn't hurt to try

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Bell_ posted:

Goons, thank you for recommending Mushishi to me. I wasn't prepared for it, and it was right up my alley.

Of course, this means I'll be begging for something that's a good follow-up to Mushishi.

Kino's Journey is basically a story following a young person as they travel around a bunch of weird and whimsical (and frequently slightly unnerving) countries with a talking motorcycle. It's pretty great and much less childish than the premise makes it sound; imagine Mushi-shi with a focus on culture and people rather than the supernatural but with similar tone and pacing.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Yeah, if you liked Mushishi you're almost guaranteed to like Kino's Journey.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Sadly, I think you've tapped out good music anime with Beck & KotS. All that's left is mediocre idol stuff like Idolmaster & Love Live and moe slice of life like K-On. I guess some of the Macross stuff might count? The music in the Macross I've seen is peripheral to the plot but central to the themes.

There is White Album 2, which was a decent enough drama, but it doesn't come close to KotS.

Bell_ posted:

Kino's Journey is my favourite anime, and you should watch it.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

There's nothing mediocre about Love Live

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I guess some of the Macross stuff might count? The music in the Macross I've seen is peripheral to the plot but central to the themes.

In Macross 7 the music is central to the plot as well but, eh, actually recommending people watch that series isn't something I can in good conscience do.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Look you fuckers, I'm searching for a DVD set of Kino's Journey as best I can alright? Madman Entertainment's fatpack run has been out of print for years, so it's not easy to come across. :negative:

ViggyNash posted:

High emotional intelligence, not so much logical intelligence.

Doot-do-Doo! :toot:

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Nodame Cantabile is the best music anime

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Your lie in April is currently airing and turns musical performances into Eva style soul disasters.

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Nodame Cantabile is the best music anime

It is very good.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

Your lie in April is currently airing and turns musical performances into Eva style soul disasters.

This is the most amusing and still accurate description of the show.

I'll second that for good music anime.

Bell_ posted:

Seconding Kino's Journey, and will also suggest Mononoke if you've not seen that.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Tarodia posted:

Any genre? You sure? Try NANA for maximum shoujo drama and punk rock.

But yea there isn't really much out there for music anime.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Tarodia posted:

Nodame Cantabile. Man and woman at a music conservatory.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Just finished the first season of Coffin Princess. I really liked it - Talesy as gently caress. Kind of Junk Food-y, but had some heart behind it and the characters were all likable enough. What's the goon consensus on the second season? Does it end the story?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

Just finished the first season of Coffin Princess. I really liked it - Talesy as gently caress. Kind of Junk Food-y, but had some heart behind it and the characters were all likable enough. What's the goon consensus on the second season? Does it end the story?

The second season is good and finishes things up. The last couple episodes could have used four, but it's certainly not a terrible ending. If you liked the first season, you'll certainly enjoy the second.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

The second season is good and finishes things up. The last couple episodes could have used four, but it's certainly not a terrible ending. If you liked the first season, you'll certainly enjoy the second.

Bully.

Also, I almost forgot, but I must also give the Season 1 finale credit for incorporating what could be adequately described as a Moe Chestburster. One of those things I don't wake up expecting to see during my day.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

The best.

All the other great gifs to come out of the show (most of which feature Frederica) are also the best.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Everything about that scene was really great. I got completely suckered in by the buildup to it. "Oh man she's dea-OH GOD, this show just got dar-oh. Oh that's adorable. :3:"

Akari's reaction was great, too. "...you shrunk."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

The Devil Tesla posted:

Try Wandering Son. The anime starts and ends in a weird place in the manga, so you might need to flip between the two, but it's all fantastic.

It looks like it's about transgender people? Not what I was asking about, but it's an interesting topic too, and god knows the transfolk representation is even worse than what us gays get, AFAIK.

Anyways, thanks for the recommendation, it looks interesting and I'll check it out when I have time.

• Locked thread