Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

we don't even know if it's infinite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

MrMoo posted:

Would using Tcl/Java be considered less demented or not is the question though. Tcl as an external entity at least keeps a clean separation of concerns.

tcl/java would prevent users from having to install a tcl distribution, thanks for the recommendation. i'm worried about what unknown dangers lurk inside, but testing it against tclsh looks easy

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
if you're already on the java stack, i would use a java-based scripting language rather than tcl
  • javascript
    comes with jdk 8: invoke with jjs or jrunscript

• groovy
    supports #!/foo/bin/groovy syntax for scripting

• scala
    supports #!/foo/bin/scala syntax for scripting

Bad Sneakers
Sep 4, 2004

me irl
i keep clicking away from my program hoping that when i come back to it my docstrings will have been written for me

but they never are :smith:

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if you're already on the java stack, i would use a java-based scripting language rather than tcl
  • javascript
    comes with jdk 8: invoke with jjs or jrunscript

• groovy
    supports #!/foo/bin/groovy syntax for scripting

• scala
    supports #!/foo/bin/scala syntax for scripting

the data source i'm interested is in Tcl list format, like this

code:
{COMPONENT BOARD_NAME.PCB
 {ENVIRONMENT BOARD.PCB}
 {DETAIL
  {SUBCOMP
   {I SOME_PART_1.PRT JP1
    {CN
     1 NET_000A
     2 NET_000B
     3 NET_000C
     4 NET_000D
    }
   }
   {I SOME_PART_2.PRT U1
    {CN
     1 NET_000B
     2 NET_000A
    }
   }
   {I SOME_PART_3.PRT U1
    {CN
     1 NET_000C
     2 NET_000D
    }
   }
  }
 }
}
so the only reason i'd use Tcl would be to easily process this kind of data. maybe its easy to parse the netlist in Java or some other language

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Barnyard Protein posted:

the data source i'm interested is in Tcl list format, like this

code:
[...] some netlist excerpts	
so the only reason i'd use Tcl would be to easily process this kind of data. maybe its easy to parse the netlist in Java or some other language

yeah if that's tcl's native format, using tcljava to parse it seems like a good idea

i do think people will hate you if you try to manipulate it with tcl though. seems like it would be easier to just do the parsing with tcl.lang.Parser or whatever then reformat the data structure using a language your coworkers are more likely to know

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

don't use matlab it is a dumpster fire of garbage in every possible way

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Bloody posted:

don't use matlab it is a dumpster fire of garbage in every possible way

Bloody posted:

don't use R it is a dumpster fire of garbage in every possible way

Bloody posted:

don't use SAS it is a dumpster fire of garbage in every possible way

Bloody posted:

don't use excel it is a dumpster fire of garbage in every possible way

Bloody posted:

don't use mathematics it is a dumpster fire of garbage in every possible way

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

same but ruby or any plang

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
just 5 minutes ago my buddy applied for an internship at Mathworks about doing work with Mathlab and Simulink on fpga's lol

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

same but literally every language or anything ever

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Valeyard posted:

just 5 minutes ago my buddy applied for an internship at Mathworks about doing work with Mathlab and Simulink on fpga's lol

aka the Cool and Good part of matlab

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Bloody posted:

don't use oxygen you are a dumpster fire of garbage in every possible way

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
The only thing I ever revisit from my years of MATLAB in school is a really annoying .WAV file from piping a signal I was working with out through the audio module.

fitting.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i spent a few hours last night trying to fix a spell checker i wrote for class and i woke up today and immediately saw the problem and fixed it with one line

i should probably sleep on these things more often

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
most of my good programming ideas/solutions come to me in the shower

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

gonadic io posted:

you pay a real price for this, matlab is slow as balls. the trick to "good" matlab is to do as little as possible actually in the language and instead try to use library functions (which are written in fortran) whenever possible.

The trick to good matlab is to use haskell instead

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Shaggar posted:

Glad waterfall is working well for someone

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

lol

ive dreamed up solutions to code quite often

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Shaggar posted:

I get them on my bike normally

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

i often shower more/longer than i really need to just to have more thinking time

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i'd kill to have a private shower at work

just pop in after lunch and steam my way to clear thinking

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
same but to passive-aggressively point coworkers at

(actually my coworkers are all totally fine, I just wanted to make a joke about nerd stereotypes)

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

one of the bathrooms @ the office has a shower in it, apparently the space we're in used to be a "nightclub"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

we have a shower in the bathroom but the building doesnt have a water heater :shepface:

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
anyone have any recommended resources for learning like 'proper' idiomatic c++? for some reason my Uni gets off on having most classes in c++ and my shittiness/unfamiliarity with how I should actually be doing things is giving me a lot of headaches

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

im taking cs50 from harvards online thing and just got to the part about web stuff. the sample website we are given at the start just contains one image

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
RIP happycat

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

PokeJoe posted:

i spent a few hours last night trying to fix a spell checker i wrote for class and i woke up today and immediately saw the problem and fixed it with one line

i should probably sleep on these things more often

I keep trying to explain to ppl at work how the three hours overtime they spend flailing at poo poo at night are much better spent going home and getting a good nights sleep, but spergs gotta sperg I guess.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

and if you dont also do similar amounts of unpaid overtime you are viewed relatively as a slacker

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Turns out you can find work in places that don't view you as a slacker for doing your 9-5 and then going home

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Bhodi posted:

Turns out you can find work in places that don't view you as a slacker for doing your 9-5 and then going home

this except at a good employer it can also be 11-7 or 5-1 or 9-7 for a four day week or whatever else fits with your life as long as you're doing the amount of work they're paying for

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
so my terrible product has a bunch of possible configurations (duration, etc etc) that ultimately determine its cost.

the logic that calculates that cost is spread over like 15 classes and many many database fields and is extremely confusing. little changes in unexpected places have a tendency to do weird things to cost.

there's a (very) finite number of possible costs/configurations, so i decided i'd just create a serial dump of all the 'valid' budgets, based on the last year of database history, and stick it in a file. now i have something sane to validate my data against and i don't have to worry about my validations being wrong due to some other change in the system.

anyhow, now that i've done all that i've realized i can just loving use that data to populate the budgets instead of using it as a validation, and i can get rid of all the stupid code that calculates the budgets in the worst possible way.

horray.

Scorponok
May 13, 2002

No... not without incident.

Ploft-shell crab posted:

anyone have any recommended resources for learning like 'proper' idiomatic c++? for some reason my Uni gets off on having most classes in c++ and my shittiness/unfamiliarity with how I should actually be doing things is giving me a lot of headaches

Get the new stroustrop book on the new stuff in c++1whatever, it goes over all the basics in the new ways you're meant to use, and is pretty short. Assume you already know how to write a program, that is

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Soricidus posted:

this except at a good employer it can also be 11-7 or 5-1 or 9-7 for a four day week or whatever else fits with your life as long as you're doing the amount of work they're paying for

I'm glad my boss yells at us to go home after a certain point

I also once emailed him from Japan at midnight local time and he replied "go to sleep"

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Ploft-shell crab posted:

dehumanize  yourself

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Ploft-shell crab posted:

https://google-styleguide.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/cppguide.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

poo poo like this reminds me that i really do not at all know c++

• Locked thread