Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Delivery McGee posted:

It's Hoser being an annoying rear end in a top hat in an amusing way, which is kind of fighter pilots' schtick

On a similar note: I can't find the story, but I'll tell it from memory:

One time back when the F-16 was the newest hottest poo poo, they went to play with some National Guard F-106s. The Viper drivers, being young and cocky, allowed the old-timers to simulate any weapon they could carry, to make it a bit less horribly unfair

They called "fight on", the lead F-106 immediately called a missile shot and the entire formation of F-16s was declared dead.

That's what happens when you bring nukes to a gunfight.

I was just about to mention that as another example (I thought it was F-15s but I also can't be assed to look it up). Congrats, you just shot down some fancy new fighters with your old Dubya-mobile. You also just started World War 3 by using nuclear weapons. We begin bombing in five minutes.

It's a funny story, and one I've repeated myself, but it's really stupid in the context of developmental testing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It's a funny story, and one I've repeated myself, but it's really stupid in the context of developmental testing.

Of course it's stupid, that's the point -- the dangers of hubris and all that. The Viper drivers thought they were hot poo poo, and didn't bother looking up what the -106 could actually mount, because anything that ancient wouldn't be a threat to their new badass machines.

I can imagine how that agreement went down:
"Let's make it fair, we'll use guns, and you can use anything you can carry."
"Anything? :unsmigghh:"
"Yes ... why did you look like Satan when you said that?"
"Oh, no reason."

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I was just about to mention that as another example (I thought it was F-15s but I also can't be assed to look it up). Congrats, you just shot down some fancy new fighters with your old Dubya-mobile. You also just started World War 3 by using nuclear weapons. We begin bombing in five minutes.

Christ almighty, you sperglord, no poo poo there was no Point Being Made About Developmental Testing, there wasn't MEANT to be. It's called a loving joke, which I understand they don't have on your planet, but you might want to study them for your time here on Earth

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Genies were pretty hilarious because they're the only nuclear weapon to not have to deal with the two man rule. A scary rear end weapon to stick in the hands of one pilot.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

InediblePenguin posted:

Christ almighty, you sperglord, no poo poo there was no Point Being Made About Developmental Testing, there wasn't MEANT to be. It's called a loving joke, which I understand they don't have on your planet, but you might want to study them for your time here on Earth

There actually was a point, which Wingnut completely missed-never underestimate your opponent. The F-16 pilots waltzed in expecting the F-106s to be pushovers, and instead received a faceful of Genie, which itself was followed by a pair of embarrassments in which the F-16s got badly outmaneuvered. The same thing goes for the other story-the F-5 pilot expected the dogfight to be guns-only, didn't expect to be shot at by long-ranged missiles, and got shot down. Expecting your opponent to behave the way you want them to behave in a non-restricted environment is a great way to lose a fight in any situation, and that's where the value of the stories comes from. In addition, of course, to being loving hilarious.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I still think the ground speed check story from Sled Driver is the greatest example of one-upsmanship ever.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Expecting your opponent to behave the way you want them to behave in a non-restricted environment is a great way to lose a fight in any situation, and that's where the value of the stories comes from.

I mean, yeah, it's a great parable about hubris and everything. I'm just overthinking it and nitpicking for shits and giggles. Very little training is done in a completely unrestricted environment, because for any specific engagement you can usually find an "I win" button that makes the whole thing pointless.

Fucknag posted:

I still think the ground speed check story from Sled Driver is the greatest example of one-upsmanship ever.

Now see, that was just loving hilarious.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Fucknag posted:

Yeah I don't think there is anything that'll top that for a long, long time.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

This has been covered a ton...the Hornet driver was already dead on the ingress, he's within the "do not get this close" bubble (ie, he violated safety rules and cheated), and he didn't have enough frames with the Raptor locked to actually get credit for the kill anyway.

But yes, it has happened.

People were talking about radar displays. Here's an AWACS scope. This isn't a US E-3B/C, the little handles are too small and the comm panel has weird buttons (almost everything is in the right spot, but the buttons/knobs are smaller than US E-3s. The screen is the same though.

Edit: And now that I'm looking at his scope and comm setup, this guy is a loving trainwreck of a controller.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Feb 14, 2015

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Fucknag posted:

I think it's disgusting how they were unnecessarily overtaxing the ATC with their juvenile dick measuring. SOMEONE COULD HAVE DIED!

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Mazz posted:

Yeah I don't think there is anything that'll top that for a long, long time.

Captain Ernest Johnson speaking to Captain Charles Cooke, of the stricken submarine USS S-5, barely afloat after a valve had been left open during a crash dive posted:

“What ship?” Johnson asked.
“S-5,” Cooke replied.
“What nationality?”
“American.”
“Where bound?”
“Hell by compass.”

Old school submariners had balls. Not really one-upmanship though.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 14, 2015

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Godholio posted:

This has been covered a ton...the Hornet driver was already dead on the ingress, he's within the "do not get this close" bubble (ie, he violated safety rules and cheated), and he didn't have enough frames with the Raptor locked to actually get credit for the kill anyway.
Yeah, I was backing up Wingnut's point: when you run hundreds of engagements and people start playing fast and loose with the rules, you'll eventually have one where someone ends up with a cool picture for the squadron bar.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Godholio posted:

People were talking about radar displays. Here's an AWACS scope. This isn't a US E-3B/C, the little handles are too small and the comm panel has weird buttons (almost everything is in the right spot, but the buttons/knobs are smaller than US E-3s. The screen is the same though.

Edit: And now that I'm looking at his scope and comm setup, this guy is a loving trainwreck of a controller.

Jeez get a load of mr back seat controller over here!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Delivery McGee posted:

On a similar note: I can't find the story, but I'll tell it from memory:

http://www.f-106deltadart.com/thereiwas.php

you want ADC Pilots vs TAC Pilots.

Fucknag posted:

agreed.

Psion fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 14, 2015

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
Question from a friend: Why does the US bother with air superiority fighters? He argues that if we're fighting insurgent groups or a sub-peer nation, they won't be able to contest our dominance of the skies, so the F-22 will be kinda overkill. On the other hand, if we are fighting a fellow superpower, we and/or they will proceed quickly if not directly to throwing nukes around rather than risk losing a conventional war.

I suspect the answer is that we really aren't going to get in fights where somebody would start using nukes. A shooting war with China is a terrible idea, especially given the trade links, but a skirmish over the Spratlys or such might warrant US intervention/support, and invading Syria would warrant something capable of neutralizing their air defenses. Additionally, as unnecessary as it might be, air superiority is a significant advantage and we'd be fools not to seize it if we can. How far off is my reasoning there?

ETA: And if anybody hasn't read the speed check story, somebody posted it on Imgur.

darthbob88 fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 14, 2015

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Wait a second. That looks like it would be the most difficult trap in history.

I would like to know more please!

Are we even going to talk about the who, what, where?

I mean unless that wing unlocked and folded back right when the photo was shot, we are looking at some amazing flying. On par with the Israeli F15 one winger landing.

oh

my

god

http://mofak.com/Night_Infamy.htm

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Feb 14, 2015

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

darthbob88 posted:

Question from a friend: Why does the US bother with air superiority fighters? He argues that if we're fighting insurgent groups or a sub-peer nation, they won't be able to contest our dominance of the skies, so the F-22 will be kinda overkill. On the other hand, if we are fighting a fellow superpower, we and/or they will proceed quickly if not directly to throwing nukes around rather than risk losing a conventional war.

I suspect the answer is that we really aren't going to get in fights where somebody would start using nukes. A shooting war with China is a terrible idea, especially given the trade links, but a skirmish over the Spratlys or such might warrant US intervention/support, and invading Syria would warrant something capable of neutralizing their air defenses. Additionally, as unnecessary as it might be, air superiority is a significant advantage and we'd be fools not to seize it if we can. How far off is my reasoning there?

ETA: And if anybody hasn't read the speed check story, somebody posted it on Imgur.

I'm sure someone is typing up a more comprehensive answer, but I think it is at least partially due to Americans currently finding any casualties (especially pilots for some reason) to be unacceptable. So this means that if you're fighting some shithole with an air force of old MiGs you don't want to be equal to them or they'll occasionally get lucky; you want something that so outclasses them that nobody has to go on CNN and explain why the value of a pilot's life is less than procurement costs for a new fighter.

Plus a bunch of stuff about planning for the next war and deterrence that everyone else can answer much better than I can.

Also, I'm of the unpopular opinion that a near-peer war doesn't necessarily mean the nukes start flying. Every world leader knows that once their nukes leave the silos, their own country is forfeit (see also: Skynet's plan) so its possible (not that you would ever want to rely on it) that nobody will push the button until their back is against the wall and its their only option. So its possible that before the operational lifetime of the F-22 is over we might get into a war over a third party (see: Korean war) where there is an unspoken agreement of "I won't launch if you don't" and that scenario needs to be planned for.

...Or Russia might get desperate and start selling some of their nicer fighters to somewhere we'll be performing a "police action" in the next 50 years.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

darthbob88 posted:

On the other hand, if we are fighting a fellow superpower, we and/or they will proceed quickly if not directly to throwing nukes around rather than risk losing a conventional war.

Personally I think this proposition is flawed, and that's the problem for your friend. The potential of losing a conventional war has to be balanced against MAD, where everyone loses in a rather irrevocable way. The whole point of MAD, in a sense, is everyone convincing everyone else not to open the nuclear option. Hence, conventional forces are the ones most likely to ever get used at all due to the existence of nuclear ones.

e: tell your friend to watch WarGames.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Cat Hatter posted:

...Or Russia might get desperate and start selling some of their nicer fighters to somewhere we'll be performing a "police action" in the next 50 years.

That's probably the single most likely.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

darthbob88 posted:

Having air superiority fighters works for both offense and defense. The F-15 has proven itself in battle and there should be no question why you need a solid number of excellent air superiority fighters. Also think about this: Russia is developing and producing a wide variety of very capable anti-aircraft missile systems. Since they have close political ties to countries like Syria, Iran and Nort-Korea you can be sure as hell that some of those advanced systems will end up in those countries. That's why need stealth fighters like F-22, they go all SEAD on the enemy's rear end and then the rest of the fighters and bombers go in and do their thing.

You could probably do the same with existing 4th gen fighters if you developed really long-range air-to-surface missiles, but in any case, F-22 is one of the reasons that no other power (like Russia or China) can try something funny against the US.

As for nuclear war, you seem to be forgetting that the Russians and Americans spent a lot of time fighting each other by proxy during the Cold War. Nukes will not fly until one side is very close to absolute defeat, or their military high command are raving maniacs.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

OhYeah posted:

As for nuclear war, you seem to be forgetting that the Russians and Americans spent a lot of time fighting each other by proxy during the Cold War. Nukes will not fly until one side is very close to absolute defeat, or their military high command are raving maniacs.

You're leaving out another more recent and far more plausible rationale for the start of a nuclear war - complete economic collapse of a nuclear-armed state. The personnel who man the silos, fly the bombers, watch the radars, and sail in the boomers don't do it out of patriotism, on either side. They do it because they're *compensated* for it - and if you can't pay them in a currency that they can use, you'd better drat well still be able to provide them and their families food and creature comforts.

It's in our best interests *not* to let Russia lapse into a crushing economic depression.

(and yes, I'm well aware Russia's been in dire straits before and still managed to maintain an adequate nuclear response - I'm talking about a depression, not a recession)

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Feb 14, 2015

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Psion posted:

Personally I think this proposition is flawed, and that's the problem for your friend. The potential of losing a conventional war has to be balanced against MAD, where everyone loses in a rather irrevocable way. The whole point of MAD, in a sense, is everyone convincing everyone else not to open the nuclear option. Hence, conventional forces are the ones most likely to ever get used at all due to the existence of nuclear ones.

e: tell your friend to watch WarGames.

Moreover there's a big difference between the kind of political existential conflict the Cold War was about and the kind of limited war envisaged today. For example, there is a highly unlikely but not impossible scenario where everyone gets all hawkish and NATO troops end up shooting at Russian soldiers in Ukraine. Nobody's going to launch nukes over that.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You're leaving out another more recent and far more plausible rationale for the start of a nuclear war - complete economic collapse of a nuclear-armed state. The personnel who man the silos, fly the bombers, watch the radars, and sail in the boomers don't do it out of patriotism, on either side. They do it because they're *compensated* for it - and if you can't pay them in a currency that they can use, you'd better drat well still be able to provide them and their families food and creature comforts.

It's in our best interests *not* to let Russia lapse into a crushing economic depression.

(and yes, I'm well aware Russia's been in dire straits before and still managed to maintain an adequate nuclear response - I'm talking about a depression, not a recession)

This was for years a big part of the reason we were helping the Russian space program financially right? Didn't that money in a way help to keep their nuclear arsenal funded and controlled and less likely to get lost sold off to minor states?

Also, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyjNInIH4Hw&t=245s

That Works fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Feb 14, 2015

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

darthbob88 posted:

Question from a friend: Why does the US bother with air superiority fighters?

It is very well within our interests to prevent any conflict between major powers. This is one of the few really cogent pillars of US Navy strategy, or our larger military strategy altogether. The point is to make the prospect of a war with China or Russia as undesirable as possible. It's a credible deterrent to help the Chinese out with their calculus. When they ask themselves, "hey, can I really just push the button, launch my Scuds and get my naval infantry onto Taiwan's shores before anyone can do anything about it?", advanced US Navy and Air Force assets are the answer. Maybe they could eventually beat us and take Taiwan, but they couldn't just accomplish a fait accompli, and they'd eat a plate full of international opprobrium.

Think about what Putin did with Crimea. It's not even an issue now, everyone knows no one can do a thing about it so it wasn't even on the table for the cease fire. He got away with it. Our advanced military is there to make sure no one can just "get away with it", so that the threat of international relations and trade consequences has to enter their thought process.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

darthbob88 posted:

I'd say it's because without putting a huge number of our troops on the line, if we can't credibly win a conventional war or at least make the costs outweigh the downsides, the deterrent isn't that great if it isn't the US on the line. If for example China goes for Taiwan, do we escalate to nuclear and lose a few cities at least? If we can win conventionally there isn't that uncertainty. It gives us a lot more leverage when nuclear states are going for not us.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Red Crown posted:

Think about what Putin did with Crimea. It's not even an issue now, everyone knows no one can do a thing about it so it wasn't even on the table for the cease fire. He got away with it. Our advanced military is there to make sure no one can just "get away with it", so that the threat of international relations and trade consequences has to enter their thought process.

Unfortunately, the rest of Europe has been asking a similar question since the end of the cold war, "Why does the EC even bother with a stand army at all?"

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Having multiple air superiority programs/airframes flying in the past has allowed the US to historically have force projection. Others had to yield to it's will. Since we don't really project our force in that way anymore, we only need one or two airframes to do that, especially with the shift to drone technology.

Besides, nobody wants to spend billions (except those with aerospace jobs) on an air superiority fighter that is supposed to lead through upgrade programs for 15-20 years when the next logical progression in force projection is clouds of cheaper drones.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Uh, when did the US stop doing force projection? I hadn't noticed.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

mlmp08 posted:

Uh, when did the US stop doing force projection? I hadn't noticed.

Who said we stopped? I only said we changed the way that we do it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

priznat posted:

Jeez get a load of mr back seat controller over here!

I was an instructor, I got paid to poo poo on people who do what this guy is doing. He's well on his way to failing that ride.

Medicinal Penguin
May 19, 2006

That Works posted:

This was for years a big part of the reason we were helping the Russian space program financially right? Didn't that money in a way help to keep their nuclear arsenal funded and controlled and less likely to get lost sold off to minor states?

That may have been a consideration, but more likely it was because for a while the Russians were the only ones with an operational med-heavy lift system due to the grounding of the shuttle and lack of replacement. Even before that, the Russians were doing the larger part of supplying the ISS because the shuttle turnaround time was so abysmal.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Godholio posted:

Have you ever heard of civilian FAA controllers getting FAM rides on an AWACS, or are they entirely too secret-squirrel for that?

I think that would be godamned fascinating.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Wingnut Ninja posted:

For the record, the F-106/Viper story wasn't during some sort of formal DT, OT, or any type of evaluation at all...it was just some phone-call scheduled DACT, "I got airspace in the R-whatever range at this time, this altitude to this altitude, you bring yours, I'll bring mine, we'll meet at the merge" type deal.

This would be back when the US military actually had money to do things like that on the regular as opposed to now.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
On my AWACS fam flight a very confused LT tried to trick me into just being her alert acknowledge button pusher.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

^That's pretty funny.

MrYenko posted:

Have you ever heard of civilian FAA controllers getting FAM rides on an AWACS, or are they entirely too secret-squirrel for that?

I think that would be godamned fascinating.

I haven't...it would be kind of a hassle for everyone involved, including the passengers. It's very very rare for an E-3 to carry any pax except for certain TDYs/deployments where we bring our own maintainers and security. Off the top of my head, the only time I can remember ever flying with someone who wasn't crew, mx, or security was when we brought a 2-star general along on an OEF mission.

We do fly certain missions with people who aren't cleared for everything that's going on, and it's doable. But in a standard 8 to 9 hour flight, you can expect maybe an hour of aircraft under control. Probably less if it's F-16s. The surveillance guys (basically identifying and tracking) will work outside of that time, but for anyone who's done ATC or anything similar it'd take you about 3 minutes to figure it all out and be appalled that it's necessary for human beings to do a task that most automated systems were able to do in 1985. Most of what shows up on the displays isn't going to be classified, but there are a few things. It's certainly possible to configure a scope at an unclassified level.

In that image above, the purple lines are the terrain map, loaded by the computer tech during system power-up. They're probably on the east coast. The dashed line is something one of the crew input, it's usually the airspace boundary when operating in a MOA, whiskey area, etc. The amber almost-squares are symbology for an aircraft, looks like they're considered "evaluated unknown" (unevaluated unknown is open to the opposite direction). The green "U" or rotated "U" shapes are friendlies of some type. Small white lines coming off the symbology are speed/heading indicators; longer stick means higher speed. Tracks without visible sticks are either suspended in place (there should be a designated area called a park box to avoid confusion) or they're too slow to show up, or they might be crosstold over a datalink (unlikely in this case). Green dots are IFF returns, amber are skin returns. The blue circles are user-input...I'm not sure what they represent here. They could be SAM rings, they could be "regen points" where aircraft that have been "killed" have to return to within X miles of a designated point then they come back to life...this is to replicate detection of a new wave of enemies taking off from an airfield. There's one red dorito in the middle of the scope in that mess...that's an identified hostile.

Some of why this guy would be causing me to rip my hair out: He's not loving zoomed in on what's happening. It's good to zoom out once in a while to see what's going on around and not get total tunnel vision on the merge (since awacs is of limited use at that point) but I suspect he's just staying on the big view. It's SOP to build a 5-mile buffer inside the airspace to help prevent lateral spill-outs. It's built for the entire crew...this guy turned it off or just didn't bring it up on his scope. If he misses his warning calls to the pilot prior to a spillout, he's probably going to fail the ride. He doesn't have altitudes displayed. This is the worst thing here and begging for an immediate failure, to say nothing of the risk to the aircraft out there. He has three tabular displays up (the data at the bottom). One is useless 99% of the time, the other two are actually track information...both for the same track. On his comm panel he's got the internal net that the controllers use turned up, the others are down...so I assume he's a controller, not the MCC or in surveillance. Neither of those would use this lovely scope setup either.

iyaayas01 posted:

For the record, the F-106/Viper story wasn't during some sort of formal DT, OT, or any type of evaluation at all...it was just some phone-call scheduled DACT, "I got airspace in the R-whatever range at this time, this altitude to this altitude, you bring yours, I'll bring mine, we'll meet at the merge" type deal.

This would be back when the US military actually had money to do things like that on the regular as opposed to now.

We were officially directed NOT to contact anyone while in-air to try and find aircraft to control (trolling for missions). I never heard a logical explanation why, so I assume some idiot O-6 felt like his toes were being stepped on. Previously if we saw fighters taking off, we could contact their ops desk and see if they wanted AWACS to play...usually the answer was yes and we'd get solid training instead of sitting on our thumbs. This was particularly useful when our scheduled activity dropped out for some reason. After the OG said no more, we'd just fly the 8+ hours and get nothing out of it. But hey, we got our hours! That's what matters, right? :downs:

Godholio fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 14, 2015

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

darthbob88 posted:

Thank you for sharing that, I wasn't familiar with the story. It's amazing.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

We were officially directed NOT to contact anyone while in-air to try and find aircraft to control (trolling for missions). I never heard a logical explanation why, so I assume some idiot O-6 felt like his toes were being stepped on. Previously if we saw fighters taking off, we could contact their ops desk and see if they wanted AWACS to play...usually the answer was yes and we'd get solid training instead of sitting on our thumbs. This was particularly useful when our scheduled activity dropped out for some reason. After the OG said no more, we'd just fly the 8+ hours and get nothing out of it. But hey, we got our hours! That's what matters, right? :downs:

Wouldn't be surprised if the O-6's logic was having to do with his/her perception that the ORM was too high during a "pick-up game" training event.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

quote:

On this day in aviation history: In 1991, a fighter jet bombs an attack helicopter out of the sky!

In a January 1993 article in Air Force Magazine, Captain Tim Bennett recounted the event that occurred while he was flying a McDonnell Douglas F-15E Strike Eagle with the 335th Tactical Fighter Squadron, 4th Tactical Fighter Wing during the 1991 Gulf War. He was flight leader that day on a combat air patrol in search of SCUD missile emplacements in northwestern Iraq. His flight was notified that a Special Forces team was in trouble and needed whatever assistance could be provided. Bennett proceeded toward the area and found helicopters and troops in the area. After confirming the helicopters weren't friendlies and getting permission to engage, Bennett and his Weapons System Officer, Captain Dan Bakke, decided to attempt bombing the lead helicopter while it was on the ground then follow up with missiles as necessary. His wingman and other pilots were instructed to use missiles to take down as many enemies as possible.

Why a bomb instead of missiles? Because of their speed and altitude a laser-guided GBU-10 2,000 lb bomb actually had more range than the AIM-9 Sidewinders being carried. When Bennett released the GBU-10, Bakke had drawn a bead on the lead helicopter. As the bomb zipped in toward its target, the chopper lifted off and started off at about 100 knots. Bakke struggled to keep his laser affixed to the bogie, and was rewarded by an explosion that, in Bennett's words, “drat near vaporized it.” The flight came about to re-engage as more of the helos rose to meet them - but the F-15Es were nearly pummeled by bombs from friendlies! Apparently, help had arrived but they were not fully apprised of Bennett's team and their location. The 335th TFS got out of the area without losing an aircraft - and then were directed to a nearby SCUD emplacement, which they destroyed. The Special Forces team made it out due to the actions of the 335th TFS, and confirmed Bennett's victory.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Blows up what's down, shoots down what's up. And vice versa, if need be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Godholio posted:

Some of why this guy would be causing me to rip my hair out...

For the purposes of what's likely just a USAF stock photo, is it possible the plane's just sitting on the ground running a pre-recorded test scenario on the scope with some random displays up? Not sure if that's something an E-3 can do, but I've certainly run into similar situations before for photo ops. Just bring up a bunch of windows and run some random data, the closer we make it look like NCIS in here the bigger next year's budget will be.