Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spHD3bV7Nqo

:captainpop:

I spent way too much of my childhood playing the original Carmageddon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SaltyJesus posted:

That looks badical as hell.

But when's Road Rash coming back?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There was a KS for an off-brand Road Rash revival a couple years back, it's called Road Redemption. I think some of the original EA people were involved.

EDIT: looked it up, the Road Rash guy's game was some separate thing that didn't get funded.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Feb 14, 2015

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
"12 Is Better Than 6" is a Russian-made Western Hotline Miami. They're currently crowdfunding on the Russian crowdfunding site Boomstarter for roughly $800 with less than half funded so far and 19 days to go. I get that most of you won't bother with a game on a crowdfunding site that doesn't even have an English interface, but the project looks interesting enough that I thought some of you might want to keep an eye out for this game in the future.

THEY OFFER A DEMO IN RUSSIAN AND ENGLISH. The English translation in the demo isn't great - paying someone for a proper one is a stretch goal - but it'll do for the purposes of the demo.

Hotline Miami's control scheme is tweaked here to better represent the genre - RMB cocks the gun, LMB shoots. To reload, press R, then R again once for each bullet. To pull out the bullets (so that you can throw out the gun and pick up a new loaded one) hold R. To switch to your gringo-stabbing knife, press Q.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NghBSxKKwNs

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Lurdiak posted:

That looks badical as hell.

But when's Road Rash coming back?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uiwp8uv4dZQ

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Megazver posted:

"12 Is Better Than 6" is a Russian-made Western Hotline Miami. They're currently crowdfunding on the Russian crowdfunding site Boomstarter for roughly $800 with less than half funded so far and 19 days to go. I get that most of you won't bother with a game on a crowdfunding site that doesn't even have an English interface, but the project looks interesting enough that I thought some of you might want to keep an eye out for this game in the future.

THEY OFFER A DEMO IN RUSSIAN AND ENGLISH. The English translation in the demo isn't great - paying someone for a proper one is a stretch goal - but it'll do for the purposes of the demo.

Hotline Miami's control scheme is tweaked here to better represent the genre - RMB cocks the gun, LMB shoots. To reload, press R, then R again once for each bullet. To pull out the bullets (so that you can throw out the gun and pick up a new loaded one) hold R. To switch to your gringo-stabbing knife, press Q.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NghBSxKKwNs

Wow, that shaking/blur is giving me motion sickness. I doubt I could play this game without getting nauseous.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

AG3 posted:

Wow, that shaking/blur is giving me motion sickness. I doubt I could play this game without getting nauseous.

It feels a lot smoother in the demo itself. I get motion sick very easily (didn't even beat Half-Life 2 because of how ill the boat ride made me feel) and I didn't have a problem playing it.

vvv Pretty much.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 14, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I imagine the framerate limitations of gif are really not doing the blur favours.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I loved the QFG games when I was young (with the sorry exception of 5), but the Coles are poster kids for why I don't Kickstart projects by devs from yesteryear. The industry has changed dramatically since the days before Sierra published Half-Life, and there's no guarantee whatsoever that the people involved have kept up with any of that. It just gets more painful when they start throwing unlikely promises around.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Bieeardo posted:

I loved the QFG games when I was young (with the sorry exception of 5), but the Coles are poster kids for why I don't Kickstart projects by devs from yesteryear. The industry has changed dramatically since the days before Sierra published Half-Life, and there's no guarantee whatsoever that the people involved have kept up with any of that. It just gets more painful when they start throwing unlikely promises around.

Was 5 not very good? I've only reached 3 so far.

And while I would agree, I still don't want to see them lose their house or something at this point :(

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

evilmiera posted:

And while I would agree, I still don't want to see them lose their house or something at this point :(

This is an aspect of KS/EA that I think lots of people overlook

I'm glad that bc I bought Starbound when it came out, ppl were able to buy their dream homes and relocate to modern offices, and generally improve their lives, that's fantastic and exactly the point. I didn't think the original Shadowrun game was amazing, but I love corny 80s scifi and if we all hadn't preordered it, it wouldn't have been made. Same reason people are so glad they backed Wasteland 2.

Its not ridiculous to want to try to help someone achieve a goal or create a project ffs. There have been plenty of ill intentioned KS/EA games and there have been plenty of well intentioned but failed for some reason games, but :10bux: to give somebody a shot at their life dream, prob going to spend that on something on steam anyway right? :gaben:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Arnold of Soissons posted:

This is an aspect of KS/EA that I think lots of people overlook

I'm glad that bc I bought Starbound when it came out, ppl were able to buy their dream homes and relocate to modern offices, and generally improve their lives, that's fantastic and exactly the point. I didn't think the original Shadowrun game was amazing, but I love corny 80s scifi and if we all hadn't preordered it, it wouldn't have been made. Same reason people are so glad they backed Wasteland 2.

Its not ridiculous to want to try to help someone achieve a goal or create a project ffs. There have been plenty of ill intentioned KS/EA games and there have been plenty of well intentioned but failed for some reason games, but :10bux: to give somebody a shot at their life dream, prob going to spend that on something on steam anyway right? :gaben:

Steam used to be where I spent most of my money. On other people, via gifts.

I've at least managed to steer my gifting in a more productive manner. (Even tho those people I gifted are still awesome people who deserved gifting).

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

evilmiera posted:

5 tried to take the series in a new direction, and by the time they realized that it was too soon for anyone in the industry to try doing everything they planned, it was too late to re do the whole game. So, it is technically finished, and worth playing, but it is:
A) not as good as the other ones, and
B) full of design choices that make no sense until you realize they were originally trying to make what we'd now call an early, experimental mmorpg.
I still like it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That soundtrack is unacceptable, I will only violently bike to songs like this masterpiece

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAPpwimES1Q

Wendell
May 11, 2003

evilmiera posted:

5 is ugly, controls poorly and doesn't quite live up to the writing of the earlier games. 4 is incredible, so make sure you reach it!

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

SaltyJesus posted:

Pubic beta. :smugjones:

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Tarquinn posted:

It has plenty of twists.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The new Carmageddon plays just like the first - I don't imagine it'd be much fun without nostalgia for the original's butterfinger handling. Still, that 1 minute of destruction derby fun for every 5 minutes of clumsily charging enemies and missing them is great

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Tarquinn posted:

Carmageddon is a very serious game.

Carmageddon News posted:

So if you haven’t already, give yer life partner a quick peck on the cheek and then SLING ‘EM OUT. Get yourself parked in front of the PC with a six pack and a box of man-size tissues… because today it’s all about YOU and the Worldwide Carmageddon Community cumming together for a massive ORGY of red hot throbbing HARD-RAMMING ACTION. You show us your Piledriver and we’ll show you our Cunning Stunt! Is that a Repulsificator in your pocket or are you just Ejaculating? OMG check out that PELVIC THRUST – quick, hit the Pause Button and JIZZ all over their WRECKED’ EM!

I heartily recommend Carmageddon Reincarnation, if you're a fan of the series it's got all you could expect: chaotic physics, goofy powerups, wacky carnage... random crashes. :v: Hope they sort those out.

SupSuper fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 15, 2015

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
I love Carmageddon so goddamn much.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

"Greetings from Funkotron! We haven’t been posting as often lately because we’ve gotten really busy with the new TJ&E game. We will be making some announcements in a probably 3 or 4 weeks, when we have something we can show, and will be able to share lots of information with you."

Who owns the rights to the series? Sega going through some money trouble, so they might be open to a deal.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
virt's "VR concept album" just went live! He's asking for $70k.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/916717037/nuren-the-new-renaissance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhlR_YbXrfY

BiggerJ posted:

Who owns the rights to the series? Sega going through some money trouble, so they might be open to a deal.

Sega owns the games, the creators own the IP. Sega can't re-release the games or add TJ&E cameos to anything without making a deal, but the creators are free to make TJ&E games whenever they want.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Bieeardo posted:

Man if you haven't yet you need to get on Heroine's Quest, it's basically VGA QFG1 + Norse Mythology. Same three classes, same scroll-through action buttons, stats, magic, inventory... It's just a great, great point and click adventure game, and a pretty decent length as well. Best of all, it's completely free.

Also, a game I worked on finally got greenlit, but I don't know WTF to do from here, so any suggestions would be appreciated. :sweatdrop:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Demo! http://d2wlj2wjfsfbsy.cloudfront.net/Nuren_Kickstarter_Preview_R480.exe

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
In other news the people behind Hero-U have ran out of money and plan to hold 2nd KS campaign to allow them to actually finish the game.

Corey Cole posted:

As I have posted on https://www.hero-u.net the full project budget has always been $650,000. We've raised about $400,000 after expenses from the original Kickstarter and the web site. The rest is coming from a combination of home equity loan (we're literally betting our house on this project) and deferred payments to contractors. Much of the reason for the project delay has been due to the project being short-staffed because we did not have the full budget.

The supplementary goal will give us breathing room on the loan so that we don't have to get high-interest credit card financing. If we bring in enough, we may also be able to add voice acting and foreign language versions after the initial game release.

Why didn't we ask for $650,000 up front? Because Kickstarter is all-or-nothing funding, and our research showed us that the project would likely fail if we asked for that much. After all, we had only a concept to present at that stage, no real art resources. By bringing in $350K (after expenses), we were able to commit to the project, purchase Unity licenses, buy custom 3D character art, and pay some of our contractors. We knew we would have to supplement the Kickstarter funds with other forms of financing to complete the game.

As comparison, using the established SCI engine (which took Sierra about $2 million and several years to develop), Quest for Glory IV cost about $750,000 to develop. Sierra developed a custom engine for Quest for Glory V, driving that project up to 3.5 years and over $4 million development cost. The team had over 50 developers by the end of the project.

Exploding kittens are far easier than adventure games. :-) But Hero-U will be much prettier than a card game, and it will have a lot more story.
This won't end well...

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

Lurdiak posted:

No that's what I mean, I beat Dragonfall twice already, pondering whether to give it a third go just for the DC stuff.

A little late but I literally finished doing just this a couple days ago. The major highlights are advancement trees for your teammates, several new missions, more instances in the main campaign where you can actually use diplomacy, and more definite closure to your companion storylines.

All in all, it was fresh enough for me to enjoy replaying. Your mileage may vary of course.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Zilkin posted:

In other news the people behind Hero-U have ran out of money and plan to hold 2nd KS campaign to allow them to actually finish the game.

This won't end well...

Already mentioned a page or two back though.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Speaking of Shadowrun their second KS is ending soon, and just broke the 1 million mark, meaning that they're going to do some kind of bonus campaign after the main game

I haven't even played the Remastered Director's Cut version yet, but they sent me so many games for my first $15 I didn't hesitate at all to jump in for another round

snipermonkey
Jun 30, 2010
I'm trying to remember the name of a quickstarter game from way back, it was kind of like a heroes of might and magic game but set in medieval times. I think they had a similar battle system like in the conquistador game. It was developed somewhere in the balkans or possibly Russia. I remember them having an EA launch sometime ago. They had the kickstarter campaign about the same time as grim dawn. Any help would be appreciated.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

snipermonkey posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a quickstarter game from way back, it was kind of like a heroes of might and magic game but set in medieval times. I think they had a similar battle system like in the conquistador game. It was developed somewhere in the balkans or possibly Russia. I remember them having an EA launch sometime ago. They had the kickstarter campaign about the same time as grim dawn. Any help would be appreciated.

Legends of Eisenwald.

snipermonkey
Jun 30, 2010
Thanks, that was quick. Anybody have any experience with it? I was always interested in the game, but I forgot to give money to it when they had the kickstarter campaign.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Mirificus posted:

(John Szczepaniak stuff)

From several pages back, but this is loving hilarious. It's like the intro to a Rush song, except painfully real.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

snipermonkey posted:

Thanks, that was quick. Anybody have any experience with it? I was always interested in the game, but I forgot to give money to it when they had the kickstarter campaign.

I backed it back haven't played since it first landed on Steam. It was pretty rough and very unfinished but what was there seemed like it had promise. It's fairly story driven, so Ive been waiting for one of the campaigns to be finished before I really get into it, but I follow them on Steam and they've been doing updates regularly that look meaty, seems like they're on track :shrug:

I do know they're very passionate about the project and have been consistently working on it, they actually wound up getting an oligarch to be their patron so at least theres no worries about them running out of money or just getting boring and loving off

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

So, I like Shadowrun's most recent update. They've stated that they have no more planned stretch goals, so any further money will be put towards a rainy day fund.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The Last Day devs seem pretty confident that their IP dispute with the Friday the 13th people will be peaceably resolved, but prior to that they'd sent out the email address of the opposing lawyers, so hopefully need spamming doesn't get them in trouble.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

senrath posted:

So, I like Shadowrun's most recent update. They've stated that they have no more planned stretch goals, so any further money will be put towards a rainy day fund.

It's kind of refreshing to see a developer say they don't need any more money. It pretty much means that they actually have a plan and a budget and that they're able to meet it. While there are lovely developers out there lowballing campaign goals and over-promising on features because "that's what you need to do to get any money", it's nice to see some developers seemingly doing it right.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
So how would a second Kickstarter work? Didn't they already check interested people off the list? How many new contributors can they get? Sounds like a losing proposition.
Also, I don't know... 600k for an adventure game that looks and plays like QFG? I mean life expenses may be costlier in the US but to me it just sounds more like mismanaging those funds. Especially when you end up guaranteeing with your damned house... Wow. Quite the trail of clueless veterans on KS these days.

I still feel bad for Molyneux. I know I shouldn't probably, but I do.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Mr Underhill posted:

So how would a second Kickstarter work? Didn't they already check interested people off the list? How many new contributors can they get? Sounds like a losing proposition.
Also, I don't know... 600k for an adventure game that looks and plays like QFG? I mean life expenses may be costlier in the US but to me it just sounds more like mismanaging those funds. Especially when you end up guaranteeing with your damned house... Wow. Quite the trail of clueless veterans on KS these days.

I still feel bad for Molyneux. I know I shouldn't probably, but I do.

Of course you should feel bad for him. He's either got mental issues or he's stuck making games in an era he knows next to nothing about but keeps trying anyway with whatever dirty tactic he can muster so as not to fail spectacularly (which of course only leads to him doing so anyway).

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Mr Underhill posted:

From my reading of their updates they seemed to be budgeting as if they were working for Sierra in the 90s, back when they had millions to play with. They've spent all the money on building their own system and contracting out for more art than they had the budget for.

They're in a bad position either way. Even if their second kickstarter manages to squeak through by soliciting extra funds from fans, they've got the problem that they're making a niche product to which they can't make any money from as their entire market are already backers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol how does that guy think comparing the costs of adventure games back then to now defend somehow blowing half a million dollars on something that shoulda cost like 1/10 that or less will sit well with anyone. It's like blowing millions on an hour long 2D platformer and then saying well Sonic 2 cost millions and had a huge team of people!