Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

YF19pilot posted:

Hey! Sounds just like my old LGS! "Oh, we paid $2.50 for these, MSRP is $5, but the comparable FoW model is roughly $14 a piece? Okay, $10.95."
This guy has been known to stick a pricetag over the "Free RPG Day" logo on occasion. He is, however, mostly reasonably priced and competitive with the internet a lot of the time. He's not stupid greedy, he's just always looking for a way to make some money on everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
My guy has a basement full of glorious deals. There's one shop downtown that charges $4 for a tube of Testor's glue though.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Thundercloud posted:

Well I'm looking at Victrix ancient greeks, and considering putting together skirmish forces for Ancient Saga, the new Victrix rules set, homebrew etc.

Anyone got them?

Also do the Wargames Factory Skeletons make good Children of the Hydras Teeth?

The Warlord Games Greeks are superb. Dont know about the Victrix

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
So the Zvezda A13/Cruiser Mk IV is a pretty sweet little kit. The main obvious flaws are the lack of smoke dispensors, the missing rivets on the front of the turret and the missing recess for the headlight. They're pretty minor things really, and two of the three are very easily fixed anyway.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Arquinsiel posted:

This guy has been known to stick a pricetag over the "Free RPG Day" logo on occasion. He is, however, mostly reasonably priced and competitive with the internet a lot of the time. He's not stupid greedy, he's just always looking for a way to make some money on everything.

How is that not "stupid greedy"?

I wouldn't spend a dime in a store that did that, and I suggest you don't ether.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Numlock posted:

How is that not "stupid greedy"?

I wouldn't spend a dime in a store that did that, and I suggest you don't ether.
I'm pretty sure it's just a reflex. I've never seen him actually charge someone for them and they do seem to end up being super pricey online after the event on occasion.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Wasnt surew whether to put this in the boardgames thread or here, but seeing as this thread is my spiritual home and its ages since Ive posted in it:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1992455033/the-great-war-0/description

Basically Richard Borg is doing Commands and Colours WW1 with the Plastic Soldier Cmpany making all the models. I cant resists.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Welp. That basically renders my WWI game irrelevant. Guess I'll stop playtesting.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Crossposting from the painting thread:

Just wrapped up my US half of the Bolt Action starter set.

I also followed this handy guide and picked up a hella cheap Sherman. Doesn't look bad after a new coat of paint!

Shot next to infantry for scale in case anyone else is interested.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
So I'm planning to start slowly building some medieval armies in 10mm, and was thinking about trying to play Field for Glory with them eventually, and was wondering if anyone could walk me through the size bases people generally use for it. From what I could find other places it looks like most of the time people play on 40mm wide bases with depths varying from 15-30mm for infantry and cavalry. Is this correct, are there any specifics I should know for different types of unit or if i put everything on 40mm x 30mm bases will that be fine? Thanks!

I also found this:

http://philbancients.blogspot.com/2010/02/field-of-glory-training-manual-basing.html

Is this a reasonable thing to follow? I have not picked up the rules yet as I planned to slowly just build and army first.

Pash fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 8, 2015

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Pash posted:

So I'm planning to start slowly building some medieval armies in 10mm, and was thinking about trying to play Field for Glory with them eventually, and was wondering if anyone could walk me through the size bases people generally use for it. From what I could find other places it looks like most of the time people play on 40mm wide bases with depths varying from 15-30mm for infantry and cavalry. Is this correct, are there any specifics I should know for different types of unit or if i put everything on 40mm x 30mm bases will that be fine? Thanks!

I also found this:

http://philbancients.blogspot.com/2010/02/field-of-glory-training-manual-basing.html

Is this a reasonable thing to follow? I have not picked up the rules yet as I planned to slowly just build and army first.

Yeah, that post is pretty much spot on. 40mm wide with a depth of 15mm for heavy infantry, 20mm for light infantry, 30mm for cavalry is the standard for smaller scale FoG, and it is how my armies in 15mm and 6mm are based.

The only thing I did differently than Phil is the commander bases. Commanders in FoG are pretty much just a token that doesn't work like a normal base, so it doesn't matter how it is based. But I prefer to put the commander on a round base (20mm or 25 mm wide), as it stands out more from the normal bases that way. Also, since the only point of a commander is to affect things within a certain range from the base, I find it reasonable to use a round base, as it's easier for measurements. But again, the commander is just a token, so how you decide to make them doesn't really matter.

Here's an example from my crusaders:

The spearmen are heavy infantry, and on 15mm deep bases. The crossbows are light infantry, so 20mm deep. The various cavalry are on 30mm deep bases. This army never got bigger than a single DBA army, but FoG and DBA uses the same bases. If I expanded it for FoG, I'd probably make separate round bases for the commanders. However, I could just take the rectangular base that I made for the DBA general, and use that as a FoG general.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Feb 8, 2015

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Serotonin posted:

Wasnt surew whether to put this in the boardgames thread or here, but seeing as this thread is my spiritual home and its ages since Ive posted in it:

Basically Richard Borg is doing Commands and Colours WW1 with the Plastic Soldier Cmpany making all the models. I cant resists.

This looks so good.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Serotonin posted:

So basically, Memoir '14? :v:

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Pierzak posted:

So basically, Memoir '14? :v:

Hopefully closer to the other C&c games. Memoir 44 is the weakest one of the series imo.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

lilljonas posted:

Yeah, that post is pretty much spot on. 40mm wide with a depth of 15mm for heavy infantry, 20mm for light infantry, 30mm for cavalry is the standard for smaller scale FoG, and it is how my armies in 15mm and 6mm are based.

The only thing I did differently than Phil is the commander bases. Commanders in FoG are pretty much just a token that doesn't work like a normal base, so it doesn't matter how it is based. But I prefer to put the commander on a round base (20mm or 25 mm wide), as it stands out more from the normal bases that way. Also, since the only point of a commander is to affect things within a certain range from the base, I find it reasonable to use a round base, as it's easier for measurements. But again, the commander is just a token, so how you decide to make them doesn't really matter.

Here's an example from my crusaders:

The spearmen are heavy infantry, and on 15mm deep bases. The crossbows are light infantry, so 20mm deep. The various cavalry are on 30mm deep bases. This army never got bigger than a single DBA army, but FoG and DBA uses the same bases. If I expanded it for FoG, I'd probably make separate round bases for the commanders. However, I could just take the rectangular base that I made for the DBA general, and use that as a FoG general.

Thanks!

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Quick crosspost here:

Here are my finished models. I haven't put grass on the latest batch's bases yet, but otherwise they're done.

Click for bighuge.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
So... uh.... really?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

What scale are these? I'd guess 15mm based on the tuft.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

moths posted:

What scale are these? I'd guess 15mm based on the tuft.

A bit bigger. 18-20mm. Most of it is Man at War, which is nominally 18mm but is really closer to 20mm. The Man at War sculpts are terrible and expensive though, so more and more Newline Designs models are sneaking in.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

So... uh.... really?

I remember having a deck of airplane trump that we played now and then when I was like, 7-8. It's a pretty fun game for kids?

E: I can imagine that it would work as a game to play in a car while driving to a convention with other history nerds.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Feb 9, 2015

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Arquinsiel posted:

So... uh.... really?

This went really well when Games Workshop did it! :v:

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Arquinsiel posted:

So... uh.... really?

I'm not familiar with what Top Trumps is. Is that basically M:TG the WWII expansion?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

YF19pilot posted:

I'm not familiar with what Top Trumps is. Is that basically M:TG the WWII expansion?

Assuming from the cards without reading any of that poo poo in the link, because I'm lazy: this kind of trumps is a simplified card game, normally for kids, where you have a bunch of cards with different stats in hand. Then you put down a card face down, and say a type of stat. In this case, "anti-armour firepower" or whatever. Everyone place a card face down. When revealed, the player with the highest number in that specific stat takes all the cards, and get 1 point per card. Continue until deck is empty.

Think simplified Hearts. At least that how the Trump games I had as a kid, which looked exactly the same, worked.

E: yeah, checked Wikipedia, and it's more or less that. Top Trumps seems to be the popular UK brand of the game from the 70's and on. There's a few variants on the rules, but it's basically a trick-taking game where the strategy is just the initiative player choosing the category of stats.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 9, 2015

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I got to play Muskets & Tomahawks at a con this weekend. I am ambivalent about the the single deck for activation mechanic; while I don't care for "activate your whole army, then I activate ,my whole army" turn system, having to wait for my turn because 5 British cards are drawn in a row seems a little bit crap. I get that the randomness simulates the irregular reliability of troops, but would a two deck system one with all Brits one with all French cards draw one of each still allow for randomness in which units activate, but remove the chance that a single side gets too many activations in a row?

In fact does anyone have any thoughts on Muskets & Tomahawks? I don't see it discussed much.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I discussed it a lot when I'd first gotten it. I love the rules, and the card activation is actually one of my favorite parts.

That said, we did house-rule a few things, i.e., when you have an officer in reserve, he comes in with the unit he's attached to.

E: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=411741359&forumid=234

I suppose I should add it to the OP.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 9, 2015

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
There's a "planning" rule in the game where you take turns playing from a three card hand you should try.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
It's never been a better time to get in too, since WGF just released a really great American Indian kit. Its probably their best kit ever, really.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Now that I have a little more time to respond: Muskets and Tomahawks is fun, but I really wouldn't recommend it if you want any sort of game with muskets in line. It's much better suited for true skirmishing forces. If you want to play AWI or French and Indian in a more set-piece style, go Black Powder.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The new WGF British and Americans are pretty boss, too - are they in the right uniforms for M&T?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Now that I have a little more time to respond: Muskets and Tomahawks is fun, but I really wouldn't recommend it if you want any sort of game with muskets in line. It's much better suited for true skirmishing forces. If you want to play AWI or French and Indian in a more set-piece style, go Black Powder.

I am all about skirmishes. After the convention I have realized that I am keen to play for 1-2 hours, will play a 3rd hour, but by hour 4 I am willing to concede just to make it end. So smaller scale, livelier games are my current thing. Infinity, Saga, X-Wing, (possibly) M&T.

I'm thinking of 1/72 scale for M&T as it should be cheaper and the painting will be less demanding.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 10, 2015

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

moths posted:

The new WGF British and Americans are pretty boss, too - are they in the right uniforms for M&T?

I'm happy to hear that WGF seems to continue improving their kits, the early stuff is a it off. The more good plastics, the better.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

I am all about skirmishes. After the convention I have realized that I am keen to play for 1-2 hours, will play a 3rd hour, but by hour 4 I am willing to concede just to make it end. So smaller scale, livelier games are my current thing. Infinity, Saga, X-Wing, (possibly) M&T.

I'm thinking of 1/72 scale for M&T as it should be cheaper and the painting will be less demanding.

I was speaking in terms of both scale and troops type. If both sides field mostly regulars in line, it becomes "who can get the volley off first".

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

moths posted:

The militia is a good kit, the others are a little wooden and stiff feeling but not too bad.

Indolent Bastard posted:

My M&T is in 1/72. There are good choices but the American Indians kit that has the command mini wearing the british jacket is boss as hell:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Dirt Worshipper posted:

I was speaking in terms of both scale and troops type. If both sides field mostly regulars in line, it becomes "who can get the volley off first".

I haven't really found that to be the case.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Colonial Air Force posted:

I haven't really found that to be the case.

The bonuses one receives for being in, and shooting at a firing line, combined with the lethality value of firearms means you'll see a line melt very quickly under fire. At least that's what we experienced in the dozen or so games we played.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Changing gears a little, the author of Chain of Command tried Bolt Action, and wrote something about it.

http://toofatlardies.co.uk/blog/?p=3674

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The militia is a good kit, the others are a little wooden and stiff feeling but not too bad.

My M&T is in 1/72. There are good choices but the American Indians kit that has the command mini wearing the british jacket is boss as hell:

Which company makes that kit? And what other kits from which companies have you used?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Indolent Bastard posted:

Which company makes that kit? And what other kits from which companies have you used?

Italeri:
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=836

Basically every Italeri and IMEX kit is pretty good, all the ones made after 2001 or so are EXTREMELY good. Their AWI French kit is really solid, I have it on sprues but haven't punched it yet. I also use these guys for Legends of the Old West since they are pretty generic, but the Italeri set has a few guys who are distinctly AWI period. When I use them for old west I mix in some IMEX guys from the Louis and Clark and Village sets they did that are more "western" in feel (the guy here with the feather and bejewled rifle is an IMEX guy from the Louis and Clark set). IMEX and Italeri both make good battlefield accessory kits as well as diorama stuff.

Pics from earlier in the thread:

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 12, 2015

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Basically every Italeri and IMEX kit is pretty good, all the ones made after 2001 or so are EXTREMELY good.

They made some Esci copies too that were also great before 2001. I have vietnam era us marines, ww2 german afrika corps, ww2 british para, celts and romans. They're all really nice. Though the romans actually hold javelins, and some of their hands aren't up to it. Gluing is a bit of a hassle.

I used them for special-role soldiers in Axis-Allies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Crosspostin' from SA Mart, selling my very small FoW American project that never went anywhere.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3700933

Sold!

Springfield Fatts fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 15, 2015