Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Papercut posted:

I got it and it wasn't that bad. Nowhere near as bad as shingles. Someone in this thread had it really bad though, like blisters all over their body bad.
I had it and it was almost nothing, I was a little sick for a day and I had some little blisters on my hands. Friend's wife had it and she could barely drink fluids. It's pretty variable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

greatn posted:

Mycoplasma went around my kids daycare, which is wonderful. It causes minor cold like symptoms in children and full blown pneumonia in adults.

We had a round of that a couple of years ago. It both sucked and blew.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I never heard of Mycoplasma before. I wonder if we possibly had that last year? Jasper got a sort of bad cold/mild flu for a day or two and was fine but my husband and I got sick from it and it knocked us the gently caress out. I got it worse though. I let it go too long and by the time I went to the doctor I had 2 ear infections / sinus infection / chest infection and had to use some inhalers and antibiotics (and ended up having an allergic reaction to despite taking them multiple times before). The nurse was pretty surprised I was out of bed and had gone to work in my condition and looked genuinely concerned. She just said it was an ear infection/sinus infection/bronchitis but I can't remember ever being that sick in a long time.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
I swear to god I have never in my life had a sinus infection before I had Alex. I didn't understand why i was so sick and what was going on, I honestly thought I had a brain tumor. I went to the doctor, they told me to get Advil with Sudafed (I was a smurf!) and after I took two pills and waited 30 minutes I realized that my head was stuffed up so bad for two weeks I had a constant headache from the pressure. Daycares are plague factories.

pjhalifax
May 29, 2004

love boat captain
I stay at home with my six month old son and sometimes I fantasize about putting in him daycare so I can have some peace. After reading the past few posts, though... :aaa:

Seems like if there was any peace (I'm sure that's unlikely) it would come with equal measures of vomit.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I don't want to jynx it, but he has been a lot less sick this second winter at daycare.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

pjhalifax posted:

I stay at home with my six month old son and sometimes I fantasize about putting in him daycare so I can have some peace. After reading the past few posts, though... :aaa:

Seems like if there was any peace (I'm sure that's unlikely) it would come with equal measures of vomit.

Do you take your child in public? If so you're going to be subject to the same poo poo.

My wife and I will schedule early returns from vacations just to get a few days of no work/kid in daycare.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Alterian posted:

I don't want to jynx it, but he has been a lot less sick this second winter at daycare.

It seems to get better like that. This winter has been good for us so far, other than our 18 month old getting what I suspect was the flu. spent a whole night barfing, stayed home with him the next day, he was fine by the day after.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

pjhalifax posted:

Haha, don't worry, you'll get your turn, it'll happen whenever he starts a regular activity with other kids, be it daycare, kindergarten or school, and has to start building his immune system ;) But I'm much less worried about my 1,5 year old being randomly sick a lot than I would be about a six month old, because she's bigger and sturdier and generally more able to handle these childhood bugs. (And when my six month old had a stomach bug and threw up everything she ate, refilled her stomach and then threw up again, rinse and repeat, it wrecked havoc with my milk supply, I could've comfortably fed triplets for a week afterwards.)

And so far I've been remarkably unaffected by the things she's dragged home - no stomach flu or anything, I've actually been less sick in general this winter than ever before.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Whereas I get sick all the drat time. I was finally able to donate blood yesterday; you have to be feeling completely healthy for two weeks before they'll take your blood, the last time was over two years ago.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Sockmuppet posted:

Haha, don't worry, you'll get your turn, it'll happen whenever he starts a regular activity with other kids, be it daycare, kindergarten or school, and has to start building his immune system ;)

Yeah, it happens sooner or later. Last year at kindergarten pick-up time, you could tell which kids had been in daycare/preschool vs. which ones had stayed home with family until kindergarten started just by whether or not the moms were complaining about how much illness their kids brought home over the year. The ones who who had stayed home spent the whole year sick as hell, the ones who had already been trading germs for at least a year were bulletproof.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Oh hey, My kids have ear infections. Again.

BIG SURPRISE.

:negative:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Sockmuppet posted:

My daughter gave my cancer-ridden mother RSV for Christmas, causing her next dose of chemo to be delayed by six weeks because of how sick she got :toot:

v v v Yeah, a friend of mine who works as a hair dresser had to stay home from work for 1,5 months because her palms were covered in blisters and all her fingernails fell off :v: Can't wait untill we get that!

Where does this come from? I see lots of people reporting in this thread about having gotten it but I don't know a single person in my non-Internet circle of friends who has ever had it. Just wondering if there are environmental factors that are different where I live or something.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Where does this come from? I see lots of people reporting in this thread about having gotten it but I don't know a single person in my non-Internet circle of friends who has ever had it. Just wondering if there are environmental factors that are different where I live or something.

RSV is actually so common that most children have gotten it by the time they are 2. In healthy kids with no underlying health problems or prematurity, it can be written off as "the baby is sick". A mild case looks like a common cold. The environmental factor where you live may just be that the doctors don't use the term, they may simply say "oh, it's a virus it needs to run its course, go to the ER if the baby has trouble breathing."

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Papercut posted:

Do you take your child in public? If so you're going to be subject to the same poo poo.

My wife and I will schedule early returns from vacations just to get a few days of no work/kid in daycare.

Pretty much. Every time I take my kids out to a play place with a bunch of other kids they end up sick a couple days later. We're under quarantine right now because we're headed to Florida soon - we've already brought a stomach bug down once and started a vacation with puking, not going to do that again.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
Misery loves company, right? Someone in our house has been on antibiotics since Thanksgiving. We went back on the calendar, and there were 5 days in January where no one was taking anything. Yesterday, both kids finished a course, so today was medicine free.

Strep, ear infections, sinusitis, more ear infections, more sinusitis, bilateral ear infections, more strep, GI things, then more GI things because of all the antibiotics. :smithicide: Amoxicillin, keflex, more amoxicillin, omniceff, augmentin... The kid's pediatrician's office has had an additional doctor float over from Children's every week starting in December--and they already have 5 doctors and 3 pediatric NPs regularly. They have said this season has just been brutal; so many strains of nasty going around.

I loving hate this time of year. Bonus that since January, we've started our deductible over. Sigh. C'mon springtime!

(Also, I didn't know mycoplasma was actually infectious for people. I thought it was just the bane of my cell cultures. The more you know!)

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Fionnoula posted:

RSV is actually so common that most children have gotten it by the time they are 2. In healthy kids with no underlying health problems or prematurity, it can be written off as "the baby is sick".

Yeah, your kids and every kid you know have probably had it. We only know that it was RSV because they did the full workup on my mother to find out what it was so they could treat it. My daughter is otherwise perfectly healthy, so for her it only manifested as a normal medium range common cold that we didn't think twice about, but my mother has asthma in addition to a reduced immune system from chemo, which is pretty much the worst combination with RSV, so she got very sick.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Fionnoula posted:

RSV is actually so common that most children have gotten it by the time they are 2. In healthy kids with no underlying health problems or prematurity, it can be written off as "the baby is sick". A mild case looks like a common cold. The environmental factor where you live may just be that the doctors don't use the term, they may simply say "oh, it's a virus it needs to run its course, go to the ER if the baby has trouble breathing."

I mean hand foot and mouth disease.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I mean hand foot and mouth disease.

My husband and I never caught it when our kid was sick with it so I assume we had it at some point even though my mom claims I never caught such a disease when I was a kid.(the subtext being how much more awesome of a mom she was)

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
I thought HFMD was a rarity too until my kids caught it in elementary school. Symptoms started right at the beginning of our beach vacation. :sigh: They had a pretty mild case, where they just has about two days of fever and general blah. It was only after the fever broke that I noticed the palms of their hands and soles of their feet looked weird. They got just a handful of spots on their hands and feet, and somehow managed to escape the worst of the mouth sores. It's kinda like Fifth Disease, where if the rash isn't prominent a lot of people are likely to write it off as just another virus.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Hfm is pretty common too, and more likely to be going around at summertime.

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

That metaphor just went somewhere horrible.
Week one of the transition to formula supplementation: complete! Half the time he'll drink it without complaint, half the time he cries and fusses for half an hour straight before drinking it. Sigh. Pumping only four times a day is fantastic for my sanity - I feel I can keep this up for a few more months at least! - but it did knock down my supply some and getting him to accept the formula has been really rough.

He's six months now and what I thought was his four-month sleep regression still hasn't cleared up. Unless he's being held, he'll wake up after 30 minutes on the dot. I'm not sure what to do. Holding him is starting to wreck my back, as he loves to roll over in his sleep and... well, that doesn't really work when he's not in the crib. Maybe I'll try holding him for 30min and THEN putting him down. Baby sleep: it's just the best.

On the sickness front: he's only ever had a cold, when he was two weeks or so, but we start swim lessons next week...

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Sweet Gulch posted:

Week one of the transition to formula supplementation: complete! Half the time he'll drink it without complaint, half the time he cries and fusses for half an hour straight before drinking it. Sigh. Pumping only four times a day is fantastic for my sanity - I feel I can keep this up for a few more months at least! - but it did knock down my supply some and getting him to accept the formula has been really rough.

You've probably already tried this, but when we first started bottle feeding I had a lot of sporadic yet adamant refusals, before I realized I just sometimes wasn't making it warm enough.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Sweet Gulch posted:

On the sickness front: he's only ever had a cold, when he was two weeks or so, but we start swim lessons next week...

The fact that he still gets breastmilk, will help a lot - the antibodies in the milk from you (provided you catch the same thing he does ;) ) helps him fight off bugs. I noticed a big difference when we stopped breast feeding, it took her longer to recover from anything she caught, since she had to fight it off all by herself. Absolutely fascinating stuff!

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
So, parent goons: advice?

I take my almost 2 year old to a mom and tot music class. We had a new parent in the class today whose kid kept taking toys and instruments away from other kids. She did this to my kid twice. She is also significantly older and larger than my kid. The second time it happened I put my hand on the toy and politely but firmly said "no. A. Is playing with that, maybe you can use one of these instead" while my husband offered her any of the many other available toys. The mother proceeded to make passive aggressive comments about us, made a big show of being aggrieved, stormed out of the class and then misrepresented what happened to the instructor. We sorted it all out, stressing that we only intervened when the other child seemed to be making a point of snatching toys out of our daughter's hands, and kids will be kids but.the.mother was out of line. Teacher seems on our side but it was such an odd and stupid confrontation. Have any of you encountered parents like this? How do you handle it? The fact we had to say anything at all is kind of wtf because I don't let my kid take toys from other kids. Sure she's tried. She's a toddler. But that's when the parents are supposed to step.in and say no. Right?

Typing on tablet please forgive errors.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

ActusRhesus posted:

I take my almost 2 year old to a mom and tot music class. We had a new parent in the class today whose kid kept taking toys and instruments away from other kids. She did this to my kid twice. She is also significantly older and larger than my kid. The second time it happened I put my hand on the toy and politely but firmly said "no. A. Is playing with that, maybe you can use one of these instead" while my husband offered her any of the many other available toys. The mother proceeded to make passive aggressive comments about us, made a big show of being aggrieved, stormed out of the class and then misrepresented what happened to the instructor. We sorted it all out, stressing that we only intervened when the other child seemed to be making a point of snatching toys out of our daughter's hands, and kids will be kids but.the.mother was out of line. Teacher seems on our side but it was such an odd and stupid confrontation. Have any of you encountered parents like this? How do you handle it? The fact we had to say anything at all is kind of wtf because I don't let my kid take toys from other kids. Sure she's tried. She's a toddler. But that's when the parents are supposed to step.in and say no. Right?

One would like to think so but a lot of people have different expectations about what's acceptable for child behaviour in a group. Our local science centre has this neat exhibit where the kids can turn some cranks which run propellers that slooowly spin a platform around. It has giant signs all over it saying "DO NOT PUSH". My 5 year old was on it with my 19 month old and cranking it around when a ~5yo girl came over and started trying to use it like a roundabout. I waited a few seconds to see if her dad would intervene and when he didn't, I just used my hand to slow the thing and asked the girl not to push it. All of a sudden her dad awoke from whatever stupor he had been in and shouted at me "what are you doing?" I explained and pointed at the signs and my toddler and his answer, instead of being sorry for not paying attention, was to insult me and try to explain why the signs didn't actually matter.

:shrug:

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Gross. Had a similar freak out when I told a kid to not scale the walls of a zoo exhibit. Big pit. Long drop. Sleeping caiman. A freaking caiman. Whatever lady. Sorry I didn't want to see your kid turned into a snack pack

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

ActusRhesus posted:

Unfortunately, my kids seem to fall on the "takers" side of things, rather than the "takees" side of things, I try and stop it and make them return the toy, which seems to defuse any tensions. Best solution is to prosecute the child for theft, and the parent for being an accessory after the fact. Or maybe an accomplice? It's been a while since law school. But that should prevent any repeat behavior.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I feel like that is by far the most awkward situation in playgrounds or other kid-dense settings, especially when the kid misbehaving is the one old enough to know better. I have done the same thing as you AR (stop the kid and tell them no), but I always feel really awkward afterwards. If at all possible I try to just redirect my kid and explain to them what's wrong with the way the other kid is acting.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

sullat posted:

I try and stop it and make them return the toy, which seems to defuse any tensions.

Yes. Kids are kids. I get that. The weirdness here was the other parent's complete refusal to do anything about her kid's pattern of behavior (my kid was not the first one she got snatchy with...another kid was brought to tears because she kept grabbing things that he was holding) and then acting like some kind of victim because I intervened on my kid's behalf...and not even on the first round.

If she had done anything vaguely resembling what you suggested it would have been a non-issue.

Really though, it wasn't even the kid, it was the way the parent carried on after the fact.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Some people have kids before they've grown out of being children themselves.

I actually had an 8 year old slice open my tires on my bike when I was 12? I went and told his parents and his parents told me that their children can do what ever they want. I was pretty taken aback because I would have been beaten so hard i wouldn't be able to stand up if I had misbehaved like that and it got back to my parents. Obviously both approaches are completely wrong but I think you've just got to take it in stride.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Tigntink posted:

Some people have kids before they've grown out of being children themselves.

I actually had an 8 year old slice open my tires on my bike when I was 12? I went and told his parents and his parents told me that their children can do what ever they want. I was pretty taken aback because I would have been beaten so hard i wouldn't be able to stand up if I had misbehaved like that and it got back to my parents. Obviously both approaches are completely wrong but I think you've just got to take it in stride.

The problem though is I worry that just taking it in stride all the time will be reenforcing a message of "just let the bully win"

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
This is all just buzz marketing for NBC's "The Slap" miniseries, admit it.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Some parents will just straight up let their kids get away with things like it's no big deal. I'm not entirely certain there's ever really one surefire way to do anything about it when it is affecting your kids, without pissing someone off along the line.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

greatn posted:

This is all just buzz marketing for NBC's "The Slap" miniseries, admit it.

Someone elsewhere mentioned this. What is it?

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
I have a weird situation where a kid bit my son, and I 100% did NOT make a big deal out of it, there was no actual teeth on skin, he just chomped my son's shoulder hard enough to leave a little bruise that I noticed when we got home. But he got up in my son's face to hug him which freaked my son out while going in for the chomp and my son started to scream. I picked him up and told him he was fine, that Felix was just excited and didn't mean to hurt him, general comforting things. I didn't go all OH MY GOD HE BIT YOU? OH YOU MUST HAVE BEEN SO SCARED! I really played it down The other child got really upset and also started to cry so while still holding my son who had wound down mostly, I said, "Hey F, it's okay, I'm sorry you're so upset, look, C is fine..." and that set him off more and the mom sighed and rolled her eyes at me all exasperated and took him out of the room. Every time I see her now she kind of rolls her eyes at me, I think she thinks I'm a helicopter mom or something and I'm so not!

Interaction with other people's children terrifies me, bottom line.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

ActusRhesus posted:

Someone elsewhere mentioned this. What is it?

At a neighborhood barbecue, one couples four year old is a terror. He breaks an iPad, digs up the hosts garden, with his hippie parents doing nothing but drinking wine, then he starts swinging a bat around trying to hit other kids. Zachary Quinto tells him to stop but the kid won't. So he kneels down and takes the bat away, holds him by the shoulders and yells at him that when adults are talking to him he has to listen. The kid then kicks him in the shin, and Zachary Quinto slaps him in the face.

The miniseries resolves around the resulting fallout of the event, from his wife's utter shock and embarrassment, the parents righteous indignation, Quinto's shame and anger issues, and grandparents saying the brat deserved it. Only on NBC!

I think it is maybe adapted from a book?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Jeez. Yeah, don't slap kids. Period. But especially someone else's. That show sounds terrible.

As for the chomper, my kid got bitten at daycare this week too. They handled it appropriately. There was broken skin but no bleeding. Time outs were had, ice was applied. End of issue. I'm sure the biter's parents were embarrassed and would have done something if they were there but it's age appropriate behavior. Sounds like you, like me, had more frustration over the parent's attitude than the kid's conduct. I get it. Kids grab things. Don't act like a cow because I told your kid no.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 15, 2015

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

ActusRhesus posted:

Jeez. Yeah, don't slap kids. Period. But especially someone else's. That show sounds terrible.

As for the chomper, my kid got bitten at daycare this week too. They handled it appropriately. There was broken skin but no bleeding. Time outs were had, ice was applied. End of issue. I'm sure the biter's parents were embarrassed and would have done something if they were there but it's age appropriate behavior. Sounds like you, like me, had more frustration over the parent's attitude than the kid's conduct. I get it. Kids grab things. Don't act like a cow because I told your kid no.

At the same time you don't sue and tear apart multiple family and friend groups.

The whole thing sounds like a retarded imaginary situation. Litigation over something that could handled with "well we just don't invite them over to events anymore" is just idiotic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Tigntink posted:

At the same time you don't sue and tear apart multiple family and friend groups.

The whole thing sounds like a retarded imaginary situation. Litigation over something that could handled with "well we just don't invite them over to events anymore" is just idiotic.

To be fair, depends on the nature of the slap. I wouldn't sue because I am not litigious but if an adult slapped my child, depending on the context I might call the police.