Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

enojy posted:

Anyway, the loving palicoes can't keep their mouth shut for more than 2 seconds at a time so yeah Gertrude. Was it always this bad? I know the thieving felynes you run into in the wild were always mouthy, but god drat.

It's actually better compared to MHFU and MHP3rd. I think the shakalaka voices were easier to handle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Is it wrong that I'm more excited to have a surplus of ore/bugs/bug parts than I am for fighting new monsters? I want to be done with harvest tours for a while.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Is there an easy way to get armor spheres? Or at least a reliable method? I blew them all upgrading my dumb starter poo poo since I have no idea what I'm doing and now I'm out.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Mining is the best way. Sunken Hollow is lousy with ore nodes. As you unlock new maps they'll become more common (In MH3 it was impossible to not have a surplus once the Volcano became available). This early on in the game you won't really need to use them since in all fairness you're not going to notice a difference in damage taken before/after upgrading.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Konchu drop them relatively frequently I find.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

alarumklok posted:

Is there an easy way to get armor spheres? Or at least a reliable method? I blew them all upgrading my dumb starter poo poo since I have no idea what I'm doing and now I'm out.

I feel like guild quests just vomit them at you. I have 50 and I've barely played them at all

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Using the HBG scope with 3D turned on seriously hosed with my eyes until I realized I could just close one. Now I can't tell if this is the best or worst impromptu immersion, nor how much of a nerd I am for liking it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

What does "equipment bias" mean on expedition/guild quests?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Charge blade is fun as poo poo once you really start getting into it, and also, holy poo poo is it loving easymode when you get the autoguard charm.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I think that's the relic / rusted equipment that's more likely to show up in those quests.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Thanks for the tips. I did two harvest runs and hit every node and got zero armor spheres so I didn't even know they came from them. I'll try the other options since mining hates me I guess.

Worst part of this game: Clam Meowder is too long of a name for your cat

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

pnumoman posted:

Charge blade is fun as poo poo once you really start getting into it, and also, holy poo poo is it loving easymode when you get the autoguard charm.

Yeah that's one of the big changes they made between 4 and 4G/U. In vanilla 4 the shield for the charge blade/axe was pretty crap, but they boosted its effectiveness a lot. It was a pleasant surprise when I moved my data to 4G and not get knocked back a mile with huge amounts of tick damage when blocking with it. It's moved from one of my least favorite to most favorite weapons with the new balance changes.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I named my hunter Shaggy and my Ace Scooby.

My guild card is them fleeing the scene.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Basarios sucks.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Does the everwood get larger than 5 areas in the high and g rank versions?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Isn't there someone from SA who does weapon tutorial videos?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I unlocked the fancy spit yesssssssssssss sooo tasty

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Zore posted:

I named my hunter Shaggy and my Ace Scooby.

My guild card is them fleeing the scene.

If your guild card doesn't have your cat shoving his rear end in a top hat in the camera and looking smug, what even are you doing

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

alarumklok posted:

Worst part of this game: Clam Meowder is too long of a name for your cat

So's Guido Anchovy.

:catstare:

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Genpei Turtle posted:

Yeah that's one of the big changes they made between 4 and 4G/U. In vanilla 4 the shield for the charge blade/axe was pretty crap, but they boosted its effectiveness a lot. It was a pleasant surprise when I moved my data to 4G and not get knocked back a mile with huge amounts of tick damage when blocking with it. It's moved from one of my least favorite to most favorite weapons with the new balance changes.

Yeah, lance-level shielding with a red charged shield is crazy useful. Charge blade really started to click for me when I started to just focus on filling and using phials effectively, which had the side benefit of making my defense go way up because of that awesome shield. Then came autoguarding to make it that much better.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I unlocked the fancy spit yesssssssssssss sooo tasty

How do I do this?

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003

Celery Face posted:

Basarios sucks.

Oh my yes. Even at green sharpness it was bounce city. Luckily the thing is slow as mud so the fight wasn't hard, but it still took a while.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Kecha Wacha is a lot of fun. Thing's easy and dies fast but he's a great monster to practice the mounting mechanics on.

such hawks
Jul 28, 2007

edgeman83 posted:

Oh my yes. Even at green sharpness it was bounce city. Luckily the thing is slow as mud so the fight wasn't hard, but it still took a while.

I remember building a decent hammer only to fight basarios/gravios with in MHFU, I couldn't be bothered with all the drat bouncing. This time I'll build up a HH so I can do that + the anti bounce song I think.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I changed my mounting auto-message to 'MOUNTED, STOP ATTACKING!' and still people don't get it.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

sitchelin posted:

Because for all of the perks that a Charge Axe and Insect Glaive offer, both are a monumental pain in the rear end to use effectively, while the rest of the weapons are largely unchanged.

Glaive is so loving good, but takes a bit to ramp up at the beginning. Took me until C*3 and 4 to really get any green sharpness, so I had to constantly sharpen not to bounce on stupid parts (CAPCOM STOP MAKING LEGS loving BOUNCE POINTS YOU ASSHOLES)

Now that I'm C*5, I've gotten some decent glaives to work with and am destroying everything without much trouble :unsmith:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Pierson posted:

I changed my mounting auto-message to 'MOUNTED, STOP ATTACKING!' and still people don't get it.

Don't you want people to attack while you're mounted? Isn't it basically free hits?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Anyone know where I can farm up some quick paintballs? I have annoyingly run out and they don't sell any in the shop.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Potsticker posted:

Don't you want people to attack while you're mounted? Isn't it basically free hits?

If the monster flinches at all during the mount, it gets cancelled and all the effort is wasted. After it's knocked down, go hog wild.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Potsticker posted:

No, because you can knock the person off before they can do the big break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=458nEpjtY5k

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Basarios protip: He's big and slow and only takes like 3 vault attacks with the glaive to mount. I killed him by just mounting him like 8 times in a row and stabbing the poo poo out of him.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Evil Mastermind posted:

No, because you can knock the person off before they can do the big break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=458nEpjtY5k

Those videos are amazing :allears: I lost my poo poo when he used a whetstone on the insect glaive bug.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Pierson posted:

I just wish there was an auto-message when you put the monster to sleep. My problem isn't people attacking monsters I've mounted but idiots doing single SnS slashes when trying to sleep-bomb. I seriously wonder how people manage to get all the way to G-Rank without figuring that out.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Genpei Turtle posted:

I just wish there was an auto-message when you put the monster to sleep. My problem isn't people attacking monsters I've mounted but idiots doing single SnS slashes when trying to sleep-bomb. I seriously wonder how people manage to get all the way to G-Rank without figuring that out.

Probably because I don't think it ever tells you that in-game. Unless you're going around and asking people how stuff works, you'd probably never know.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Does sleep have any grace time by the way?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Like, while the monster is still falling down then a hit won't wake it up, but as soon as it's settled the next hit'll bring it back. I personally don't use Sleep for anything but I know how to respect people that do.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Are heavy bowguns worth using while solo? I can't see any reason for me not to use the hunting horn while alone, at least from the demo, but in MH3U I never bothered to try any of the ranged weapons. Does the HBG have any particular specialty?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Zaphod42 posted:

How do I do this?

Kill a Rathian in Cheeko Sands. THE UBERSPIT LIVES :getin:

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Anyone know where I can farm up some quick paintballs? I have annoyingly run out and they don't sell any in the shop.

Sap plant + paint berry.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Are heavy bowguns worth using while solo? I can't see any reason for me not to use the hunting horn while alone, at least from the demo, but in MH3U I never bothered to try any of the ranged weapons. Does the HBG have any particular specialty?

I've been cruising along using nothing but a Light Bowgun, so as long as you like shooting and moving slow, go for it. Everything is "worth using" solo, I thought that was plenty well-stated since the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Ciaphas posted:

This is my first game using the HBG. At first it seemed like I was making a bad decision, kinda tedious to use against small monsters and Great Jaggi. Two things changed that, though- you can press the special attack button to club things with it, which stuns small monsters in two hits and makes them much less of a chore. The other was the fight against Seltas. The HBG busted his horn in minutes and I ended up killing it with a shot to the face while it charged in. Facekillshots make the HBG great. And bonus third thing: the armor his parts unlocked mention both Artillery and Crag Shot+ in the skills, so it's probably going to turn the user into a robot rocket guy.

• Locked thread