Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

It would be super funny if Harden won the 3 point contest
http://instagram.com/p/zGDR2-NlSZ/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
I vaguely recall the Sheed archive.

He should write a book.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Salvor_Hardin posted:

That's because they do. Labor is ridiculously underpaid across the board.

Promotion it's different than raise

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006
"it was a good game, both teams played hard" by Rasheed Wallace

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Ramadu posted:

Really though, how many kids are actually "NBA ready" at 18? Maybe if the D-League was really functioning then you might but these kids aren't that great outside of some notable exceptions like Lebron and Kobe.

Mornacale posted:

It's players who either show promise but clearly aren't NBA-ready...

I know it's a term that gets thrown around a lot (usually by someone saying players need to play in college at least 2-3 years) but I'm not even sure what kind of standard "NBA ready" actually is. It further gets muddled because we know a lot of guys would get few minutes on one team and a lot on another.

Even many all-time greats come into the league well below average their first year.

Ross posted:

Sometimes I wonder if the 35-second clock doesn't end up actually increasing scoring college. Most of the defenses are so bad that it's really hard to guard even a slightly-above-average offense for that long.

I suppose the sheer number of extra possessions would probably win out though.

At least in the pro level there doesn't seem to be a correlation between offensive/defensive efficiency and pace.

I think everyone would agree that the offense is weaker on the whole. The average ORtg/DRtg is about five points lower in college this year compared to the NBA.

The B_36 posted:

It's always seemed like the players end up ignoring the analytics side of player rankings as well, so would much really change for the better if they chose the awards each year? They're just as susceptible to over rating guys based on performances years ago (Kobe Bryant), or saying a guy is way better than he is because he's gets along with everybody or has 'intangibles' (Derek Fisher).

I'm not sure it would make much of a difference.

It would be interesting if we had voting results year-by-year so we could do a side-by-side comparison.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Zogo posted:

I know it's a term that gets thrown around a lot (usually by someone saying players need to play in college at least 2-3 years) but I'm not even sure what kind of standard "NBA ready" actually is. It further gets muddled because we know a lot of guys would get few minutes on one team and a lot on another.

Even many all-time greats come into the league well below average their first year.

I generally tend to think professional development is going to be a lot better than development with the pretense of going to school, too.

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound

hitze posted:

Klay guaranteeing he wins loses 3 point contest

Anyone else notice he started to write "Seth Curry" for MVP? :mmmhmm:

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

OH WORD SON posted:

Also going against Giannis is a terrible mistake

Zach LaVine is totally winning the dunk contest. It's the only thing he can do really well

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

DeMarcus Cousins is poking the bear:

espn posted:

DeMarcus Cousins responded to Charles Barkley's criticism of him by saying he simply doesn't care about anything that comes out of Barkley's mouth.

"It ain't personal," Cousins said when asked about the TNT analyst. "I mean, I don't really respect the guy, but at the same time, I don't really care what he thinks either.

DeMarcus Cousins recently was criticized by TNT analyst Charles Barkley for reportedly having input on the Kings' hire of new coach George Karl.
"I don't respect him and I don't care what he thinks."

"I wouldn't necessarily say he's anybody of an authority," Cousins said. "I would just say he is very comfortable on the television."

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Time posted:

A long time ago I saw a similar thing but it was a list of stories about rasheed wallace and it was many pages long. I laughed so hard at it but I haven't been able to find it ever again. It was copy/pasted into fyad in like 2004

http://www.oocities.org/colosseum/loge/7346/

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
Also speaking of NBA content of old, what other old fogies in here remember https://www.niggaslike.us from the minds of BIZORT and friends?

This is still one of my favorite things: http://www.niggaslike.us/slava-game.html

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

quote:

#1 Got thrown out of the McDonald's All-American Game.
Well that list starts off with a bang doesn't it

hitze
Aug 28, 2007

JAMES HARDEN STUCK IN AN ELEVATOR AS WE SPEAK
http://instagram.com/p/zGWGpmtlfP/

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

hitze posted:

:siren::siren:

SNEAK THIEF

Klay guaranteeing he wins loses 3 point contest

Klay hastily scribbled out "Sef"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Re college basketball:

They banned dunking at one time.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

you are a true friend

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

euphronius posted:

Re college basketball:

That was basically out of the thought that Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was going to score 45 points per game if they let him dunk all over everybody. It's kind of funny, because to counteract the ban UCLA coaches had him perfect his hook shot.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Bashez posted:

I thought smoothing would just give money back to the players evenly. Basically sign contracts as if the cap were X (a smooth increase) but return money as if the salary floor were Y (based on the new deal) so free agents weren't the only people gobbling up the increase.

Smoothing where they just artificially hold the cap lower seems pointless to me.

It would be artificially held lower for a few years, then artificially higher than it would have been for a few years to make up the difference, so the net amount is the same money. The point is to avoid a 1-year jump and instead have that jump spread out over several years with everyone spending/making the same amount of money.

I thought it was a good idea, but I understand why current players would vote against it.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

I'd vote for Lt. Frank Drebin.

Spoeank posted:

Refs shouldn't be in the HoF, that's like a branch manager being elected employee of the month. Jesus.

I would vote for the custodians, security guards and abused trainers everywhere. Also, the surgeons and doctors who keep repairing tendons and ligaments so our favorite athletes can play till their mid40s.

Metapod posted:

crawford is awesome :colbert:

Donald Sterling for president 2016. That should deflect some.

PWI
Jun 1, 2006

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
REMINDER NBA FASHION SHOW ON TNT RIGHT loving NOW

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

PWI posted:

REMINDER NBA FASHION SHOW ON TNT RIGHT loving NOW

Haha Comcast didn't list it as sports so at first I couldn't find it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The Starters interviewed Arne Duncan this weekend. They asked when Obama will be in the celebrity game, apparently Duncan and Obama have talked about it. Maybe in 2 years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwshCHY3MzY

hitze
Aug 28, 2007

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

euphronius posted:

Re college basketball:

My team of choice (Iowa State) got a tech this season because someone dunked during warm-ups.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I always thought the stuff Mychal says on Klay, about preferring the Lakers over him was hosed up, but hearing Klay repeat the words on the Simmons podcast kind of lessen the blow. Klay seems to just regard his dad as the sort of the crazy person he is which seems fine.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Humphries is a good sport about stuff like this. That Harden/Humphries shoe commercial where someone gets traded to Humphries entourage was hilarious.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007

Team Bosh

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I'm worried LaVine will unleash the actual Chaos Dunk next year.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lavine's dunks in one handy (giant) gif

http://i.imgur.com/RseIzah.gifv

(mv if you need to edit this to the link I understand)

Mod edit: Yeah gonna make this a link

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 15, 2015

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Spoeank posted:

I'm worried LaVine will unleash the actual Chaos Dunk next year.

Where's the All Star game next year

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Ross posted:

I'm referring to drafted baseball players playing in college, not the MLB minor leagues.

I'm still not seeing the advantage to this for players. Nobody in their right mind is going to chose to develop their skills for $0 in college when they could do it in the NBA for millions of dollars. There are exceptions of course but most of the high school kids who get drafted seem to end up with decent careers.

Baseball teams don't retain the rights to drafted players who go to college (or back to college), the player has to re-enter the draft later.

Anyway, it's not the kids who get drafted to million-dollar contracts who would benefit, it's the ones who fall to the late second round or don't get drafted at all. The option to go back to school and maybe break into the first round (or even just escape from a totally dysfunctional franchise) is useful, and the fact that teams would be more willing to take risks on raw prospects helps those guys get that payday earlier.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

dokmo posted:

Back in the very early days of the internet there was a website that had a bunch of Earl Strom stories, I think they were transcriptions from his son? Or maybe the son was writing a book? Anyway, these stories were great. I've been looking for an archived version of this site forever.
It was his son Eric posting them:
http://web.archive.org/web/20010209115146/http://www.onhoops.com/content/articles/Earl

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I don't care about all star stuff in any sport, like, at all, but I just saw Patrick Beverley won the skills competition and I'm pretty :eyepop: about it

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

So I missed the entire NBA season to this point. Can anyone explain what's up in a paragraph or less?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Philip Rivers posted:

So I missed the entire NBA season to this point. Can anyone explain what's up in a paragraph or less?

West is crazy close except Golden State who's comfortably in front. Cavs started shaky but are gaining steam. Hawks own and are the surprise team of the season, second only to maybe the Bucks. Andrew Wiggins is good. Zack LaVine owned the dunk contest. Playoffs in the West will be loving INSANE. OKC might actually miss the playoffs.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Timothy Mosgov and JR Smith are Game Changers unironically

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

SamuraiFoochs posted:

West is crazy close except Golden State who's comfortably in front. Cavs started shaky but are gaining steam. Hawks own and are the surprise team of the season, second only to maybe the Bucks. Andrew Wiggins is good. Zack LaVine owned the dunk contest. Playoffs in the West will be loving INSANE. OKC might actually miss the playoffs.

I hear the Clips have been playing like big ol' dummies, any takes on that?

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

The NBA used to allow kids to go back to school after they were drafted if they declared as such within a certain amount of time. Voshon Lenard did it. The NBA team would still retain their rights while they were in school

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Philip Rivers posted:

I hear the Clips have been playing like big ol' dummies, any takes on that?

It's really really funny. They had like, 9 techs an ejection and a flagrant in a game they lost by like 40.

Then lost the next game by 40 too.

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Ramadu posted:

It's really really funny. They had like, 9 techs an ejection and a flagrant in a game they lost by like 40.

Then lost the next game by 40 too.

:lol:
:dogbutton:

How are the Suns doing?

• Locked thread