Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Mr.PayDay posted:

I have 2 of them, no coil whine, not any issues.
You can easily oc them. I surpass my gaming buddies with their 980 Stock SLI fps in all games what really annoys them :newlol:
The eVGAs simply own.

NickPancakes posted:

Amazon is where I have money up that I want to drop. They are out of stock on the MSI GAMING 4G right now, should I hold out on that coming back in stock? Is there any major reason not to get the EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+ right now, seeing as it supposedly has fixed their cooling/coil whine according to most people?

Even their newest cooler is still behind the MSI/ASUS coolers. So at the same price MSI and ASUS make the better cards, but if you have brand loyalty (their customer service is supposed to be good) or you get it at a lower price it could be okay. If you're unwilling to overclock then the EVGAs might have an edge due to higher stock clocks, but overclocking any 970 is really easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
The thing about overclocking and voiding the warranty is that if you RMA and say you didn't overclock, neither Nvidia nor AMD can do anything to prove it.

I think it was Factory or someone telling me that they simply don't have the resources to train people to detect this stuff.

I mean, if Nvidia wanted to really be intelligent dicks about it, they could put an e-fuse on each card that trips when overclocking or bios modification is detected. Then that would make a small LED on the card burn turn off. That would make it super easy to see at a glance. Thank god they don't though, I've RMAed a few OCed GPUs and CPUs here and there.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Any word about there being some performance issues with latest Nvidia drivers on the 760?

It's the only thing I can think off that might have knocked a good 10 fps of the games I currently play (DA:I and WoW) since christmas. Nothing's throttling for temperature, I'm all in 30C-50C ish on CPU and GPU. Figured it might be Chrome what with its weird issues lately but I think I more or less eliminated that possibility. Virus checked, also nothing weird I can see taking up a lot of resources in task manager. Also plenty of HDD space.

I know it sounds more like a troubleshooting question but figured I'd ask here if anyone had heard anything weird about the latest drivers since you're all up on general GPU stuff.

NLJP fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 14, 2015

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Any ideas as to what Nvidia has got cooked up for GDC.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

My body and soul is ready to buy a new graphics card for my Lenovo H520 Slim and I have 100 bucks to buy the best low profile video card that this baby can run.

My processor is Intel Core i3-2130 CPU @ 3.40 ghz with 4 gb ram.

I want to be able to play video games and let them look pretty without my drat machine chugging like a fat nerd going up his basement stairs.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
You probably need to spend a buck fifty on a GTX 750ti to get decent results.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
They go on sale like once a month or at least they were when I was trying to find one. I got my EVGA FTW 2gb 750 TI for $100. Bookmark slickdeals and wait and you'll find one.

Edit: I don't know if the low profile ones go on sale might want to check past prices to see.

Tanreall fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Feb 15, 2015

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Mercedes posted:

My body and soul is ready to buy a new graphics card for my Lenovo H520 Slim and I have 100 bucks to buy the best low profile video card that this baby can run.

I want to be able to play video games and let them look pretty without my drat machine chugging like a fat nerd going up his basement stairs.

Best low-profile is Galaxy's 750 Ti, but yeah, like Jago says, that's $150 territory. Still, doesn't need a 6/8 pin power connector. Just be careful that it's got a double-slot cooler, so make sure you've got the clearance inside the case.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Mercedes posted:

Please post your power supply model, and if it has free 6/6+2 pin connectors for a graphics card.

You're looking at something like a Nvidia 750ti 2GB

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 15, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Mercedes posted:

Echoing the LP 750 Ti recommendation - and also go with 8GB of RAM in a 2x4 kit.

He can't use that Zotac - it's not LP. Here's the back of his case:

Gigabyte makes a LP 750 Ti (with a shitload of output options), if you have trouble finding the Galaxy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125680

It's worth it to go a bit over budget as a 750 Ti + 8GB will make that box an excellent re-purposed HTPC if/when you finally decide to get a new computer. It won't do 4K @ 60Hz, though - but that only matters if you've got a 4K TV.

EDIT:

Seeing as this is your internal situation on that case:

I'd make very sure the Gigabyte 750 Ti will fit lengthwise first. If not, if you're deadset on getting the best graphics card you can in there, you might have to excise the optical drive (altogether or just get an external enclosure).

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 15, 2015

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

My friend has an issue with is Gigabyte GTX970. He gets BSODs while playing Guild Wars 2. Minidump says it's Nvidia Driver nvlddmkm.sys that causes this. He only gets these when in less demanding least crowded areas. Also temperatures go unusually high there as well. Normally they are 55 degrees, but in less demanding (at least we assume) places they go as high as 69 degrees.
He already tried older drivers, but the issue still persists.
He hasn't overclocked his card. I suggested him to lower VRAM and core frequencies by 100MHz to see if that affects something.

Edit: Lowering clocks by 100 made it not crash. Should he RMA it?

Sininu fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 15, 2015

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
If it is crashing at stock clocks and it can only run stable when underclocked then yeah you gotta RMA it.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Echoing the LP 750 Ti recommendation - and also go with 8GB of RAM in a 2x4 kit.

He can't use that Zotac - it's not LP. Here's the back of his case:

Gigabyte makes a LP 750 Ti (with a shitload of output options), if you have trouble finding the Galaxy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125680

It's worth it to go a bit over budget as a 750 Ti + 8GB will make that box an excellent re-purposed HTPC if/when you finally decide to get a new computer. It won't do 4K @ 60Hz, though - but that only matters if you've got a 4K TV.

EDIT:

Seeing as this is your internal situation on that case:

I'd make very sure the Gigabyte 750 Ti will fit lengthwise first. If not, if you're deadset on getting the best graphics card you can in there, you might have to excise the optical drive (altogether or just get an external enclosure).

Yea! That's my computer. The optical drive is the DVD reader, yea?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
http://bit.ly/1eE6dq3

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

SinineSiil posted:

My friend has an issue with is Gigabyte GTX970. He gets BSODs while playing Guild Wars 2. Minidump says it's Nvidia Driver nvlddmkm.sys that causes this. He only gets these when in less demanding least crowded areas. Also temperatures go unusually high there as well. Normally they are 55 degrees, but in less demanding (at least we assume) places they go as high as 69 degrees.

Sounds like it's just rendering useless frames as fast as it can and overheating the card. I wouldn't have expected it in GW2 but it's actually a pretty common problem, I know Galactic Civilizations 2, HoMM 5, and a bunch of others had/have the same issue. The card still shouldn't be crashing at stock clocks, so he should RMA it, but once he gets a new card that doesn't crash he might want to force a frame limit for GW2 to stop it from heating up so much.

Make sure it doesn't crash before setting a limit though, you want to make sure the card is stable under the worst case at stock clocks so it doesn't crop up in other games.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Desuwa posted:

Sounds like it's just rendering useless frames as fast as it can and overheating the card. I wouldn't have expected it in GW2 but it's actually a pretty common problem, I know Galactic Civilizations 2, HoMM 5, and a bunch of others had/have the same issue. The card still shouldn't be crashing at stock clocks, so he should RMA it, but once he gets a new card that doesn't crash he might want to force a frame limit for GW2 to stop it from heating up so much.

Make sure it doesn't crash before setting a limit though, you want to make sure the card is stable under the worst case at stock clocks so it doesn't crop up in other games.

He had framerate limiter enabled already.
But thanks for help!

Edit: He ran furmark for a bit and the temps never went over 70 at stock clocks.
He also sent me minidump of the crash. Bug check code is 0x00000116 and it mainly seems to blame dxgkrnl.sys, but also has dxgmms1.sys and nvlddmkm.sys
Could someone check it please?
http://puu.sh/fY5Pn.dmp

It only happens in one particular area in Guild Wars 2.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 16, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Mercedes posted:

Yea! That's my computer. The optical drive is the DVD reader, yea?

Yes.

Also, there are rumors that the 96x cards might get low-profile options ~eventually~, but the 96x cards can't run off the PCIe slot alone, so it's not a viable option for your case.

March might also see the launch of the lower end 9xx parts, like a 950 Ti, but 1) it hasn't been confirmed that's even a thing, and 2) no one can say with any authority if it did exist if it wouldn't end up needing supplemental power from the PSU.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I'm searching high and low and can't find any reviews or benchmarks that pit the Gigabyte ITX 970 against the Asus ITX 970. I'm curious which does better with temps/noise. Anyone found anything?

Also, I know EVGA bins the hell out of their cards; do the higher clocked cards usually translate to higher overclock potential? Like is it ever a good idea to pay $10 more for a 1.15 core clock instead of a 1.05 core clock if they have the same cooler, or will they hit similar overclock limits?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

I'm searching high and low and can't find any reviews or benchmarks that pit the Gigabyte ITX 970 against the Asus ITX 970. I'm curious which does better with temps/noise. Anyone found anything?

Also, I know EVGA bins the hell out of their cards; do the higher clocked cards usually translate to higher overclock potential? Like is it ever a good idea to pay $10 more for a 1.15 core clock instead of a 1.05 core clock if they have the same cooler, or will they hit similar overclock limits?

If you can't find reviews that tell you this - look for the most commented-on reviews for both on Amazon and ask the question there. If you're lucky, the OP will have notifications on, and you'll be able to get it answered there. Alternatively, start an account on Guru3D or HardForum and ask there.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Zero VGS posted:

I have experience with the gigabyte and it wasn't good. I'd get the Asus for sure.

I went through two of the gigabyte models. First one had something wrong with it that I could never determine. BSOD's, lock ups, everything. Plus a couple of ports wouldn't work. Second one came and the port issue remained, even with different monitors and cables.

Is Nvidia expected to announce anything new for GDC? My step-up goes until Aprill 11th and I'm hoping a TI model will come out by then.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Zero VGS posted:

The 970s all overclock to within about 50mhz of each other.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

veedubfreak posted:

The 970s all overclock to within about 50mhz of each other.

Whoops, I took the $10 extra blower model. At least EVGA Step Up is based off what I actually pay for the card so I can get it credited back if there's a 970ti or a 980 price drop in the next 3 months.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Zero VGS posted:

Whoops, I took the $10 extra blower model. At least EVGA Step Up is based off what I actually pay for the card so I can get it credited back if there's a 970ti or a 980 price drop in the next 3 months.

Just remember that you can only step up to certain models.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

veedubfreak posted:

Just remember that you can only step up to certain models.

Yeah I had hundreds in store credit to blow, no loss either way.

Edit: On that note, overstock.com has a goofy selection of graphics cards, but they also give 5% back in store credit and free shipping if you sign up for their rewards thing (free for students I think), and you can get another 5% from cashback clickthrough sites. If you can buy office supplies from them with the company card, you can rack up a silly amount of gimmicks funbucks to spend on 970's.

$10 for 90hz to be exact
vvvv

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 17, 2015

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Tbh $10 for 50 mhz is worth it. If that's what it actually comes out to of course. I've had enough nvidia cards to think otherwise, but pretty much the only brand I haven't had is evga too

Fajita Fiesta
Dec 15, 2013
What software should i be using to overclock a gtx 970?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Fajita Fiesta posted:

What software should i be using to overclock a gtx 970?

Most people are using MSI Afterburner.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
People on Reddit are reporting that they managed to get partial refunds for their 970 purchase from Amazon/Newegg. Actual amount seems to vary from $20 to 20-30%, to not getting a refund at all.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

reddit posted:

Edit 3: This got too popular so amazon has stopped. Don't bother anymore.

That thread has some pretty great :rolleyes: posts, but that's sort of reddit in a nutshell I guess.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Painful to read

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

I tried Newegg for the hell of it on Friday after I saw a post on r/nvidia. First I chatted with them and when I brought up the memory issue they immediately offered me a full refund (I was just a little over 30 days from my purchase date). Just to see what would happen, I just said something to the effect of I was unsure of what I should do because I couldn't be without a GPU due to no on-board video. She immediately set up a call with a supervisor who called me yesterday. When she called I explained that I had purchased the card based on the published specs and it concerned me since I was moving to a 1440p monitor soon. She offered then offered the full refund or a 25% refund if I wanted to keep the card. So, $90 back in my pocket and I can still take advantage of the EVGA step-up program if I'd like.

With the way that the comments in that thread read, I'm sure those dipshits went in with an argumentative mentality and gave the reps hell. I could clearly tell she had no idea what the problem was (she called it a "storage issue") but I do think she probably had discretion as to what to do for the customer. Whether it was because I was polite and thankful or that I'm just a premier member who buys a lot from them, I don't know.

http://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/2voox5/great_news_about_newegg_gtx_970_returns/con8xyw

suddenlyissoon fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 17, 2015

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

suddenlyissoon posted:

Whether it was because I was polite and thankful or that I'm just a premier member who buys a lot from them, I don't know.

I've only had to RMA a couple of things through Newegg over the years, and they have always been awesome. Then again, I always try to be polite too (it's not like its the customer service reps fault), so who knows.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004
What do people think of EVGA cards, this one in particular? I'm about to put together a new build and the memory issue with the 970 caused me to hold off, but the step up programme seems appealing, jumping up to a 980 or what ever else nvidia release soon sounds like a good deal. Has anyone used it? Do you think it is worth it?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

HERAK posted:

What do people think of EVGA cards, this one in particular? I'm about to put together a new build and the memory issue with the 970 caused me to hold off, but the step up programme seems appealing, jumping up to a 980 or what ever else nvidia release soon sounds like a good deal. Has anyone used it? Do you think it is worth it?

EVGA's big maxwell cooler is subpar compared to other brands. On its own, it's still fine - compared to other brands though, you can get objectively better for the same price. MSI's 4G Gaming 970, and Asus' Strix 970 are the pro picks. Only go EVGA if you think their customer support is worth having a worse product.

The memory issue with the 970 is not an issue, the card works exactly like it's supposed to - the issue is that incorrect specs got sent to review sites, and nobody at Nvidia bothered to correct them once they realized they'd hosed up. The 970 is still much better value for money than a 980 - paying 40-50% extra for a 15-20% performance increase and an extra 500MB of usable VRAM is a bad deal in all but the most specific of circumstances.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Now I want Nvidia to release a 970Ti or a 975 that fixes the memory issue and offer 970 owners a step-up program of some kind just so people will stop whining about it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

HERAK posted:

If you get that, just make sure you update the BIOS on it. EVGA put out a bios update for all the ACX 2.0 cards that let them stop the fans when the temps are low.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There is a version of the 970 that fixes the memory issue, and it's called the 980.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Picture dump!

Also, when leak testing. Be sure to put the drat plug in the water block. Powered up the pumps and weeeeeeee out comes all the water. Luckily I'm a smart feller and triple checked all the power connections this time, so nothing smoked. Oops.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Is that even any quieter than the triple fan cooler?

Edit: I guess if you already have the rest of the loop, it wouldn't seem right to not waterblock the GPU..

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Zero VGS posted:

Is that even any quieter than the triple fan cooler?

Edit: I guess if you already have the rest of the loop, it wouldn't seem right to not waterblock the GPU..

I tried 970s without waterblocks, and its the size of the fan that annoys the poo poo out of me. I also plan to OC the everloving piss out of this thing, that's why I got the G1 instead of a reference card. Gonna sell my last 290 while it still has a bit of value and probably just wait until the die shrunk parts. I was surprised to see how small the 980 die is compared to the 290.

Plus it's been almost a year and a half since I had a real upgrade, I was itching.