Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Elendil004 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9rnTk6FBzs

Some of these are amazing. I love the one trying to take off in the water...

as someone who is about to buy one....what issue is causing some of those to just seemingly fall out of the sky from nowhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A lot of those are people way overcontrolling them, some are clearly orientation issues, and a couple are sheep and dog related

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I spent some time today trying to come up with a small footprint gopro+gimbal platform. I was hoping to make it with 3.5 or 4 inch props, but good ones aren't easy to find. I had to move up to easy to find 5 inch props but it made the entire thing a lot bigger. Does anybody know a source of high torque smaller props?

Had to make it a weird stretch Armstrong shape so the gopro can freely rotate, but I think it will work. I'd like to try 3D printing the frame. Maybe I could also buy a sheet of carbon fiber and have it cut on a router? is it hard to cut? I won't be making this anytime soon so how does the design look?

Blue = batteries
Orange = motors
Yellow = ESCs
Green = flight controller
Light Green = gimbal controller
Red = prop boundary

It used to be a lot smaller though, still fit the same amount of batteries:(

Smaller props have really poor efficiency.

3d printing will be tough because it is very large and warpage becomes an issue. A thin layer of G10 or carbon fibre with 3d printed reinforcements works very well.

That is how I did these arms.

CNC routing is the best way to do these types of frames. Model it in something like solidworks or google sketchup and there are many people/places that will cut it out for you on demand. I've cut out one-offs and prototypes for people but it needs to be a complete drawing ready to cut.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

mashed_penguin posted:

:golfclap:

That said hovering a fixed wing in fpv would be way, way more difficult.

I've tried it on the simulator. It's about as difficult as you would expect. You can't tell how vertical you are once all you see is the clouds, and power management (not falling or rising) is impossible. So you go up and down and wander around as you lean in various directions.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Tested my FPV rig (fatsharks, irc 600mw, lc filter) and the video has quite a bit of noise, also cuts out at around 75 metres.

Guess I'm re-wiring everything. If that doesn't fix it, what could be the issue? Bad VTX?

EDIT: Poking the cables going from VTX to camera causes the video to go black. I'm fairly certain that it's a bad solder/loose wire now.

Odette fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 9, 2015

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Pukestain Pal posted:

as someone who is about to buy one....what issue is causing some of those to just seemingly fall out of the sky from nowhere?

People hot dogging, people not looking where they're flying, people flying outside their skill level. also, don't antagonize animals.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Elendil004 posted:

People hot dogging, people not looking where they're flying, people flying outside their skill level. also, don't antagonize animals.

Particularly animals whose fear response is to ram the poo poo out of the thing that's scaring them with their entire body mass.

Can't wait for video of a Phantom or Inspire getting its poo poo pushed in by an angry Black Rhino.

:allears:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MrYenko posted:

Particularly animals whose fear response is to ram the poo poo out of the thing that's scaring them with their entire body mass.

Can't wait for video of a Phantom or Inspire getting its poo poo pushed in by an angry Black Rhino.

There is a great photographer who sacrifices RC cars with hardcased DSLR's mounted to them. Big kitties like the car

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

There is a great photographer who sacrifices RC cars with hardcased DSLR's mounted to them. Big kitties like the car

I've seen those videos. Extremely cool, but doesn't have quite the same impact (:v:) as 3500lbs of pissed off Rhino.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MrYenko posted:

I've seen those videos. Extremely cool, but doesn't have quite the same impact (:v:) as 3500lbs of pissed off Rhino.

I'd like to see a gopro buzz by one of those eagles that can pluck goats off cliffsides.

Updated hex frame. GoPro is out, I am now targeting a 335gram Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera. Upgraded to 6030 props, looking at these motors. According to a guy in the comments a 6" prop on that motor gives about 220g of thrust x 6 would be ~1.3kg of lift when using 2s batteries, but I could go up to 3s for just over 2kg thrust(340gx6). Do these numbers make sense? That motor seems really small.

My last version covered nearly 50% of the mid props, this allows more airflow. I think If I were to make this I would cut the shapes from carbon fiber plates as suggested. I've cut the arms and body into sections that fasten together with bolts. I'd like to see this thing in the air but I'm a long ways away from that so if it is a stupid design feel free to pile on now.

Another thought: Are there flight controllers that have support for brushless gimbals built into the board? 4-6 connections for motors, then 2-3 more connections for the gimbal motors? My thinking is that since brushless gimbals use their own set of sensors to determine when it is in motion, why not get the sensor information straight from the board that is controlling the motors to keep the craft level? Just inverse the frame angle and send that to the gimbal motors. Is there a flight controller that does this? A MultiWii Pro says it has Servo outs for camera pitch+roll but that sounds like it is just for manually rotating the gimbal, not automatically countering the frame movement.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 9, 2015

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

MrYenko posted:

to be fair that ram just rams everything, forever (and the owner knew that) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVCR29aE_OQhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jgjk3DsN7c

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 9, 2015

helno
Jun 19, 2003

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I'd like to see a gopro buzz by one of those eagles that can pluck goats off cliffsides.

Updated hex frame. GoPro is out, I am now targeting a 335gram Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera. Upgraded to 6030 props, looking at these motors. According to a guy in the comments a 6" prop on that motor gives about 220g of thrust x 6 would be ~1.3kg of lift when using 2s batteries, but I could go up to 3s for just over 2kg thrust(340gx6). Do these numbers make sense? That motor seems really small.

My last version covered nearly 50% of the mid props, this allows more airflow. I think If I were to make this I would cut the shapes from carbon fiber plates as suggested. I've cut the arms and body into sections that fasten together with bolts. I'd like to see this thing in the air but I'm a long ways away from that so if it is a stupid design feel free to pile on now.

Another thought: Are there flight controllers that have support for brushless gimbals built into the board? 4-6 connections for motors, then 2-3 more connections for the gimbal motors? My thinking is that since brushless gimbals use their own set of sensors to determine when it is in motion, why not get the sensor information straight from the board that is controlling the motors to keep the craft level? Just inverse the frame angle and send that to the gimbal motors. Is there a flight controller that does this? A MultiWii Pro says it has Servo outs for camera pitch+roll but that sounds like it is just for manually rotating the gimbal, not automatically countering the frame movement.

The issues with a flight controller driving a brushless gimbal is that the flight controller lacks the correct type of output to drive the gimbal motors.

I would look more at motors like these. http://rctimer.com/product-1282.html
You want to have a max weight that puts you at about 50% power so you have room to maneuver.
The motors listed deliver around 330 grams at 50% with 6x2 props on 3s.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

helno posted:

The issues with a flight controller driving a brushless gimbal is that the flight controller lacks the correct type of output to drive the gimbal motors.

I would look more at motors like these. http://rctimer.com/product-1282.html
You want to have a max weight that puts you at about 50% power so you have room to maneuver.
The motors listed deliver around 330 grams at 50% with 6x2 props on 3s.

What forumla are you using to discover the X% power?

That motor is capable of 14A(163W) continuous and also lists a 6x2 prop giving 600grams thrust at 10A (111W). Does it do this at 50%? or much higher?

helno
Jun 19, 2003

See the chart. There are three entries for each prop showing different amps pull and watts. They are showing you the lift and amps at different power settings.

You can use a chart like that to calculate watts per gram which is a good measure of efficiency.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I know this is a DIY forum and flipping through the last 10 or so pages you folks all seem to be doing DIY builds for your vehicles, but I'm mostly interested in learning to fly quadcopter for fun and a bit of amateur vid/photography (later down the road when my skills/budget are much greater). So I'm shopping around for a RTF quad suitable for learning. Budget is $200 or so but its flexible and I'm not married to using all of it.

I'm not entirely against building my own but as far as DIY goes I've never done more than assembling a PC from parts and way back re-soldering my xbox 360 to fix the RROD.

E: In short I'm not a hobby RC guy. I'm a hobby photos, video and DCS Black Shark...guy.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 11, 2015

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

It's certainly possible to get into DIY quads with about that level of technical experience. Check my post history for a link to a DIY quadcopter build - if you stick to bullet connectors and other plug & play connectors you don't need any soldering experience. Otherwise it's just part-picking and fiddling with settings. If you do go with that link, consider getting a nicer board. the KK2 board is pretty solid but I imagine something newer has come out in the last year.

On the other hand, there are some good and reasonably-priced options out there for RTF quads. To learn how to fly the thread really likes the Hubsan X4 and the Blade Nano QX. Both are sub-$100, super durable (at least once you add the blade guard to the Hubsan, even if it hurts performance slightly), and really good for indoor flight. They can handle outdoor flights in your backyard, but have trouble with anything more than a really light wind. Neither are large enough to carry any real camera. One of the Hubsan models has a built-in camera, but I don't think it's particularly good.

If you want a RTF quad that's big enough to carry a proper camera, I think the DJI models are the current go-to. You're looking at something in the $500-$1500 range, depending on all the bells and whistles and spare batteries and such that you want, but they seem like they're really nice.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Arcturas posted:

It's certainly possible to get into DIY quads with about that level of technical experience. Check my post history for a link to a DIY quadcopter build - if you stick to bullet connectors and other plug & play connectors you don't need any soldering experience. Otherwise it's just part-picking and fiddling with settings. If you do go with that link, consider getting a nicer board. the KK2 board is pretty solid but I imagine something newer has come out in the last year.

On the other hand, there are some good and reasonably-priced options out there for RTF quads. To learn how to fly the thread really likes the Hubsan X4 and the Blade Nano QX. Both are sub-$100, super durable (at least once you add the blade guard to the Hubsan, even if it hurts performance slightly), and really good for indoor flight. They can handle outdoor flights in your backyard, but have trouble with anything more than a really light wind. Neither are large enough to carry any real camera. One of the Hubsan models has a built-in camera, but I don't think it's particularly good.

If you want a RTF quad that's big enough to carry a proper camera, I think the DJI models are the current go-to. You're looking at something in the $500-$1500 range, depending on all the bells and whistles and spare batteries and such that you want, but they seem like they're really nice.

Yeah the DJI Vision 2 is basically my goal (inspire if I win a lotto or two) but I've read enough to know that is a less than ideal first quad. Also more $$ than I'd feel comfortable accidentally getting destroyed because I suck.

E: Blade Nano QX seems really great if that SAFE system is as good as advertised.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 11, 2015

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Sextro posted:

E: Blade Nano QX seems really great if that SAFE system is as good as advertised.

It's better. I love my Nano QX. I should get video of where i fly it.. to give you some idea of how well it handles tricky situations.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I can't recommend the nano QX if you're not American. They cost at least $150 to get outside of the States, whereas you can get the Hubsan anywhere for $50.

This is assuming you're just using it for learning to fly before upgrading, though.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Had a solid crash today, battery went from 20 to 0 in about 10 seconds, almost made it back to safety but it started to descend into the trees. Luckily, it looks like it fell right into a bunch of prickers, which means the gimbal looks fine. I did lose one prop. Will be running some diagnostics but as usual, justDJIthings, no idea why the power tanked.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Nerobro posted:

It's better. I love my Nano QX. I should get video of where i fly it.. to give you some idea of how well it handles tricky situations.

Yeah, I can literally launch mine by throwing it into the air and tossing the throttle up. It's fantastic.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Arcturas posted:

Yeah, I can literally launch mine by throwing it into the air and tossing the throttle up. It's fantastic.

I've thrown my little Hubsan like a baseball, watching it try to right itself is actually pretty darn amusing!

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Elendil004 posted:

Had a solid crash today, battery went from 20 to 0 in about 10 seconds, almost made it back to safety but it started to descend into the trees. Luckily, it looks like it fell right into a bunch of prickers, which means the gimbal looks fine. I did lose one prop. Will be running some diagnostics but as usual, justDJIthings, no idea why the power tanked.

That sucks. Unknown power failures are the worst. What was the cell voltage in the battery after the crash ?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

mashed_penguin posted:

That sucks. Unknown power failures are the worst. What was the cell voltage in the battery after the crash ?

Battery fell out during crash, into deep snow so I have no idea.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Elendil004 posted:

Battery fell out during crash, into deep snow so I have no idea.

So... How cold was it?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

MMD3 posted:

So... How cold was it?

It was around freezing, however batteries were kept warm, and this was flight number 4, the others were without issue. I am keenly aware that cold can affect batteries, but this thing tanked like you hooked it up to power a microwave or something.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Flying my ProtoX FPV is great fun but it not automatically writing the end of the loving AVI file so you can view your recording is not. Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea?

an afternoon with good light and zero wind and some awesome smooth flying wasted.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Cross posting from Reddit, having an issue with my FPV rig.

quote:

I'm walking around a living room, maybe 5-10 metres in total and I get these lines. My quad is not powered on in this video.

However, when I hit full throttle or change throttle rapidly, the image gets a lot worse/cuts out completely. I noticed that the image will go out at around 150 metres.

Any idea what I can do to eliminate this issue?

FPV Setup as follows:

* Transmitter: iRC 5.8 GHz (600mW)
* Goggles: Dominator V2
* Receiver: iRC 5.8 GHz receiver
* Camera: CMQ1993X 600TVL (12 V)

Power system:

* 3S battery.
* LC Filter in-between battery and VTX.
* The camera is powered from VTX 5 V via 12 V step-up.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Odette posted:

I'm walking around a living room, maybe 5-10 metres in total and I get these lines.
What antennas are you using?

Odette posted:

when I hit full throttle or change throttle rapidly, the image gets a lot worse/cuts out completely

Dirty power supply for your FPV transmitter gear (camera/TX). You need an LC filter or toroid inductor coil to clean up the RF noise that your ESCs are leaking into the DC power bus.

Odette posted:

I noticed that the image will go out at around 150 metres

The 150meter limit is probably more an issue of antenna choice, or the lovely receiver that's built into the goggles, or else just the limits of 5.8ghz @ 600mW in your area. Try picking a different channel to see if you get better range. You may also consider switching to a circular polarized TX antenna and a directional patch antenna on the RX... or getting a diversity receiver.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 13, 2015

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Not very helpful for your case, but I have never seen 5.8ghz FPV video that isn't terribly broken up like that. I don't understand how it became the go-to frequency. 900mhz and 1.2ghz seem to work way better with much less video distortion. Why is 5.8 so popular?

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Why is 5.8 so popular?

Antenna size 100%

Regardless, there are plenty of examples of 5.8 that look great. Here's a 22KM flight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHWbtoVxcNY. As for my own experience, I've flown 1/3 of a mile away and not experienced any noise. I'm using a second battery to power all my FPV components.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Why is 5.8 so popular?

• ISM band with potential license-free use (ignoring all the HAM TX power violations of course)
  • Tiny antennas
  • lots of available channels with wide spectrum = higher video fidelity
  • not flooded with control signal or baby monitors

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've done 1.5 miles no problem with the immersion RC 600mw, the black pearl receiver/monitor and a 14 dollar eBay patch antenna

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Do any of you have a Mobius actioncam? the one with 3 buttons on top, not 2.

I wanted to know the length, width and height of the board inside(just the board not the camera module), without the casing, as well as the width and depth of the camera module connected to the board(to get the height I think you'd have to pop out the module so maybe dont do that)

Google images has been no help everybody just measures the outer case. I want to stick 2 of them in a printed case and make a cheap 3D camera.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Ripped apart and re-did the wiring harness that was supplying the camera with power/ground/video. Two loose wires, and a shonky JST connector were most likely the causes of my issues.

Thank gently caress for that, I thought it was a bad component!

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I flew around my 250 quad for the first time today. I tried pid controller 1, but the default pids were pretty shaky, I don't think TPA worked (at least it seemed confirmed by a recent comment on oscar liang's blog), and lemme tell ya - don't try to autotune on 4s indoors, even with high ceilings (I was in an indoor kids soccer field). I might manually tune 1 since D is ignored, or maybe try autotune again if I have good weather.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
Naze32 warning: be sure to set the Naze specific failsafe in baseflight! Default is throttle at 1200 which could lead to a fly away. Also another issue which may or may not be related is to power your RX independently from the Naze. Personal experience with a flyaway here:
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?20175-What-s-going-on-in-Colorado...&p=651798&viewfull=1#post651798

Keep reading for a discussion on this stuff.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Vitamin J posted:

Naze32 warning: be sure to set the Naze specific failsafe in baseflight! Default is throttle at 1200 which could lead to a fly away. Also another issue which may or may not be related is to power your RX independently from the Naze. Personal experience with a flyaway here:
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?20175-What-s-going-on-in-Colorado...&p=651798&viewfull=1#post651798

Keep reading for a discussion on this stuff.

That's interesting. Are there any more failsafe settings for the naze32, i.e. external piezo alarm?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
At what point do you decide to Go Big?

After crashing my WL V913 into a tree I discovered that it's got software training wheels that limit the swash plate to slow flight. Great for flying indoors, but I wish I'd known to turn it off before crashing bellyfirst into a tree in a less than 10 km/h wind. I don't mind so much because a JJRC H8C just arrived in the mail and holy poo poo it's awesome. My thoughts on it (in order): "I wonder what it's pointing at?" "Battery is dead already?" "Hey I found my pickup truck. I wonder where that is?" and, "I need to investigate that thing closer next time I send it up. #1 and #3 can be worked around a little bit with a GoPro helmetcam and cross referenceing where it's pointed from my perspective vs. what's on video, but I really want to go FPV.

This thread has indicated that as far as endurance goes, single rotor beats multi-rotor, and I remember from holding on to the landing gear with the throttle pegged, the WLV913 has pretty strong lift. I want to get it flying again and stick a GoPro to it.

While researching repairs, I noted two things:

1. A parts kit costs nearly half as much as a brand new helicopter.
2. For the cost of a new helicopter, one could get a JJRC H9D, an RTF FPV drone.

My biggest two gripes with the H8C are that it can't stay up for very long, and that I can't see what it's looking at while it's up. The H9D uses a 3.7V battery vs. the H8C's 7.4V, and has to run a video transmitter on top. I expect it's got shite for endurance. It seems to me that -if I could get the heli flying again- I could cannibalize the FPV equipment from a H9D, stick it under my V913 and have a single rotor FPV platform. But maybe instead of cannibalizing a perfectly good RTF drone and trying to repair a broken heli, it'd be better to build an entirely new platform. Maybe a gasser.

I seem to have been bitten by some sort of bug; a terrible, expensive bug. Where do I go from here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Well it looks like the FAA is starting to pull its head from its rear end.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gregorymcneal/2015/02/15/a-brief-summary-of-the-faas-new-drone-regulations/

quote:

-Drones must be under 55 pounds

-Flights must take place during daylight hours

-Flights must take place within visual line of sight of the operator
Operators may work with a visual observer, but the operator still must be able to maintain visual line of sight

-The drone must be registered and aircraft markings are required
Operators must be 17 years old, pass an aeronautical knowledge test, hold an FAA UAS operator certificate, and pass a TSA background check
Aeronautical knowledge testing must be renewed every 24 months (no private pilot license or medical rating would be required)

-Operators must ensure their aircraft is safe for flight, but there are no burdensome airworthiness standards or certification requirements (a preflight inspection conducted by the operator, checking communications links and equipment will be sufficient)

-Operators must report an accident to the FAA within 10 days of any operation that results in injury or property damage.

-No operations are allowed in Class A (18,000 feet & above) airspace. Operations in Class B, C, D and E airspace are allowed with the
required ATC permission, Operations in Class G airspace are allowed without ATC permission

-The new rules will not apply to model aircraft if those operators continue to satisfy all of the criteria specified in Sec. 336 of Public Law 112-95, including the stipulation that they be operated only for hobby or recreational purposes.

-The proposed rule maintains the existing prohibition against operating in a careless or reckless manner. It also would bar an operator from allowing any object to be dropped from the UAS.

I'll update as soon as I have a link to the actual place you can comment on the notice of proposed rulemaking. I know most of you are hobbyist in nature, but I urge you to comment too.