Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Huh, just had three dogs crit for 5 damage against the same guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here To Help
Aug 16, 2008
Couple thoughts I have after playing quite a bit in the early game:

The plague doctor, especially with bad starting skills is still very weak. They need more flexibility in targeting quite badly and some of their skills need significant improvements or reworks.

Blight: I think blight skills are generally underpowered at the moment. Typical enemies are too weak to make dot effects worthwhile. Bleed skills are straight up better than blight skills, often by a noticeable margin (there's no blight skill comparable to if it bleeds for example). When a bleed skill crits it'll do pretty great damage, either just below or on par with a standard attack.

Additionally, I don't like the fact that I have to land the skill - avoiding a miss or dodge, and THEN check against blight resist. This mechanic is tolerable on bleeds since the initial hits are usually pretty acceptable on their own and the bleed feels much more like a bonus. Stuns are the same since the payoff is so huge. What if blight skills checked against resist to apply the dot, even if the hit missed - but not on a dodge. That might help make them feel more worthwhile as a more conservative damage approach. Enemies would also benefit from this, potentially increasing game difficulty and it would also improve blight removing skills.

Another thought would be to make blight reduce accuracy, reduce dodge, amplify damage taken or have some other built in detrimental status effect. Again, enemies could benefit from this making blight removal that much more crucial to the party.

There are a bunch of other combat mechanics that would work well in the framework of the game - the ability to switch OTHER party members positions, health over time as someone mentioned (might be a bit hard with the death's door mechanic), and even taunts could fit well.

Outside of combat I think the dungeon crawling could be a little more exciting. Having certain classes have unique ways of interacting with objects would be great (graverobbers should be a benefit for digging up a grave, plague doctors for interacting with alchemy tables) and that could work for traits as well. Someone who loves praying should get extra benefit from the confession booth. I'm not entirely sold on the torch mechanic and the hunger mechanic obviously needs a rework.

Most of my other feedback has already been touched on by others (trinkets, weapons/armor, traits and drawbacks should be related to whats actually happening and so on). I think the game gets a too easy once the guild hall / blacksmith unlock.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Coolguye posted:

That seems like a lot of words for "yeah dark is way harder unless you get exactly the right build for it, then it isnt so bad"

Doesn't seem like a huge problem to me.
I never said it was a problem? I am just saying it isn't a hard mode. It's just a different mode of playing, with its own pros and cons. You don't even need a right build for it, you just need a good build.

Personally I think the difficulty is pretty close to where it needs to be, but difficult to judge completely with two dungeons missing. They just buffed the 5th level dungeons and will probably buff the 3rd level dungeons if it is warranted.

I'm not worried.

I will say my guys rarely if ever die, and I honestly assumed that was the point of the game. They should take out Death's Door if not.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 15, 2015

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Honestly I don't think the problem is with the difficulty of the dungeons (Although they could certainly be harder if they actually want people to lose heroes there), but rather that they are very dull and predictable.
The level 3 dungeons are extremely similar to the level 5 dungeons, the only difference is a difference in stats for the monsters, and there is only like 6-7 different monsters in each dungeon. Everything else is the same. Events, loot, interactibles, there's nothing new on higher levels, they even have the same modifiers. It makes repeating the dungeons over and over very boring and grindy.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 15, 2015

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Rascyc posted:

I never said it was a problem? I am just saying it isn't a hard mode. It's just a different mode of playing, with its own pros and cons. You don't even need a right build for it, you just need a good build.

I will say my guys rarely if ever die, and I honestly assumed that was the point of the game. They should take out Death's Door if not.

it's way way easier to have poo poo go wrong and for you to lose control of the situation in a dark run, if that doesn't constitute difficulty then maybe we need to start a lexicon in the op or some poo poo

death's door is a weird but good mechanic, though I think that deathblow resist is a bit too high all around. i can see level 5 dudes getting like natural 70+% resist, but the fact that fresh off the wagon dudes can roll up and shrug off an average 2 out of 3 blows while bleeding from every pore is weird, and probably artificially keeping the death rate down. they should really max out at 50%, absolute tops, at level 0 and get more deathblow resist when they level. ~33% ish would probably be better, because it means if you try to muscle through something at level 0 you're just gonna turn into a corpse.

e: also turn off retreating if you fail more than like two times or something. retreating is fine but if you blow it two or three times, you've really stuck your foot in it.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 15, 2015

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
The biggest problem with blight skills at the moment is that all the enemies it might conceivably be useful to stack DOTs against are hugely resistant to everything except getting stabbed.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Fabricated posted:

I kinda like like when negative quirks work out with some sort of theme:

Ooh, that's fun. I had an Occultist my first runthrough that had the trait combination of a Bond villain. It was something like...

Hatred of Mankind, Lurker, Meditator, Last Gasp / Egomania, Ruminator, Faithless, Phengophobia (bright light penalty)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

My jester just won an ancestral trinket while gambling. :stare:

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Lotish posted:

My jester just won an ancestral trinket while gambling. :stare:

A goon somewhere is raging that they lost an ancestral trinket from a drunk Leper. Guess who was at the same tavern?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Man, a Grave Robber of mine lost a Sun Cloak after a night out. That was absolutely crushing. From now on, when I send people to the bar to de-stress, I'm going to give them poo poo trinkets to lose.

For those of you who have been doing dungeon runs in total darkness, what party compositions and trinket loadouts have you been using? I'm up to week 20 and have just started level 3 dungeons. The first level 3 dungeon run went exceedingly well, and while I understand they won't all be like that, I kind of want to get a piece of the phat lewt action. The more specific the advice, the better. I'm generally a very risk-averse player, but I love the idea of coming back with stacks of heirlooms.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

Time_pants posted:

Man, a Grave Robber of mine lost a Sun Cloak after a night out. That was absolutely crushing. From now on, when I send people to the bar to de-stress, I'm going to give them poo poo trinkets to lose.

For those of you who have been doing dungeon runs in total darkness, what party compositions and trinket loadouts have you been using? I'm up to week 20 and have just started level 3 dungeons. The first level 3 dungeon run went exceedingly well, and while I understand they won't all be like that, I kind of want to get a piece of the phat lewt action. The more specific the advice, the better. I'm generally a very risk-averse player, but I love the idea of coming back with stacks of heirlooms.
I just unequip all trinkets right after the quest is over, just to avoid those gambling issues.

I think the game is telling me to run low light, because I managed to get three or four moon rings sitting in my treasure chest really fast.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Time_pants posted:

I just use some combination of on or two big melee dudes (Hellion, Leper, Crusader), a healer (Occultist early on for potential big heals and his pull skill for extra utility, Vestal later for more reliable heals) and then something that's good at ranged (Bounty Hunter, Grave Robber, Highwayman is probably best due to good crits and Grapeshot Blast for finishing things off). Another good (but a bit riskier) setup is two Highwaymen, one with significantly higher/lower speed than the other. Have the faster one in front, and have them both have Point Blank Shot. The faster one will go first, ideally, do that, and put themselves in slot 2 and the other Highwayman in slot 1, who then does Point Blank Shot, rinse and repeat. Does a lot of damage, has high crit chance, and if you can equip an Acc boosting trinket it's gonna hit pretty much anything.

Also try to get any Moon trinkets. Be sure to dequip them until you get light level below 25 so you don't get the downsides.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
What does the skull with an umber in it next to a meter mean on the dungeons? What is the purpose of the location in the center of the map next to the wagon that says nothing when you mouse over it? I was watching a streamer and the adventurer levels were different colors, but it isn't for me...?

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Relin posted:

What does the skull with an umber in it next to a meter mean on the dungeons? What is the purpose of the location in the center of the map next to the wagon that says nothing when you mouse over it? I was watching a streamer and the adventurer levels were different colors, but it isn't for me...?

The numbers next to the dungeons indicate what level of boss has been unlocked for each area. Doing missions in an area will build up the meter. Once it gets to 100%, the next tier of boss in that area is unlocked, and the meter stays at 100% until that boss is killed. Once the boss is killed, the meter will reset, and start building up towards the next boss tier.

Adventurer levels are also colored based on tier. The tiers are at lvl 3 and lvl 5, which also correspond to mission tiers.
Lvl 3 heroes will not go on lvl 1 quests, and lvl 5 heroes won't go on lvl 3 and lvl 1 quests.
You probably don't have anyone at lvl 3 yet.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Genocyber posted:

I just use some combination of on or two big melee dudes (Hellion, Leper, Crusader), a healer (Occultist early on for potential big heals and his pull skill for extra utility, Vestal later for more reliable heals) and then something that's good at ranged (Bounty Hunter, Grave Robber, Highwayman is probably best due to good crits and Grapeshot Blast for finishing things off). Another good (but a bit riskier) setup is two Highwaymen, one with significantly higher/lower speed than the other. Have the faster one in front, and have them both have Point Blank Shot. The faster one will go first, ideally, do that, and put themselves in slot 2 and the other Highwayman in slot 1, who then does Point Blank Shot, rinse and repeat. Does a lot of damage, has high crit chance, and if you can equip an Acc boosting trinket it's gonna hit pretty much anything.

Also try to get any Moon trinkets. Be sure to dequip them until you get light level below 25 so you don't get the downsides.

Alright. That more or less sounds like the regular party composition I run. I was just thinking that you needed to be using 3 Grave Robbers with very specific skills or something like that.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Picked this up the other day and I'm already in a passionate, abusive love/hate relationship with it. I'm still a bit overwhelmed by all the things I can do to/for heroes but I've been having good success running Occultist/PD or Vestal/melee/Leper. I really like Lepers, they make better tanks than Crusaders imo. Holy lance seems really weird?

Anyway, earlier people were posting about thematic quirk progressions. My newest Leper is like that. Aside from various pieces of him dropping off at random, he's also extra sickly, super-extra scared of dying, shits himself constantly, and to top it all off he caught syphilis the very first time he went to the brothel. On the plus side, if it looks vaguely human he can kill it real good. The unluckiest blade swinger in the world

:smith:

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

Chard posted:

Picked this up the other day and I'm already in a passionate, abusive love/hate relationship with it. I'm still a bit overwhelmed by all the things I can do to/for heroes but I've been having good success running Occultist/PD or Vestal/melee/Leper. I really like Lepers, they make better tanks than Crusaders imo. Holy lance seems really weird?
Holy Lance, like all movement attacks, seems weird, but is very strong. I can see them getting nerfed, most of them deal good damage and have good crit modifiers. Once you build a team that can take advantage of it, such as Grave Robber/Crusader/Jester, you'll be able to see it's strength.

Hint: http://www.reddit.com/r/darkestdungeon/comments/2v0sr1/the_undervalued_classes_or_mobility_and_you/

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

animatorZed posted:

The numbers next to the dungeons indicate what level of boss has been unlocked for each area. Doing missions in an area will build up the meter. Once it gets to 100%, the next tier of boss in that area is unlocked, and the meter stays at 100% until that boss is killed. Once the boss is killed, the meter will reset, and start building up towards the next boss tier.

Gonna steal this and put in my guide if that's ok, good explanation of how that works in nice plain language. Thanks!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I don't think the bar stays at 100%, I think it keeps going. I unlocked the regular hag before I killed the level 1 hag, and while I didn't have both missions at the same time, as soon as I killed the level 1 hag I got the level 3 quest.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Gonna steal this and put in my guide if that's ok, good explanation of how that works in nice plain language. Thanks!

No problem.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I don't think the bar stays at 100%, I think it keeps going. I unlocked the regular hag before I killed the level 1 hag, and while I didn't have both missions at the same time, as soon as I killed the level 1 hag I got the level 3 quest.

I feel like it stopped, but to be honest I didn't pay that much attention before it maxed at the last boss tier, so you may be right.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

If the game wasn't so RNG dependent at times a sense of urgency would suit it. At least in, say, XCOM you can mitigate what the RNG gives you - but here pretty much everything is reliant on it, and I don't think a game rushing you and getting to choose what you have would be particularly challenging. Just annoying.

I suppose my biggest issue is that everything's a big old roll of the dice and there isn't much you can do about it.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I'm at that terrifying junction of wanting to kill a boss, and being afraid of losing all my good gear again.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Man, I really wish they would bring the Mac build actually in sync with the PC version. This feels like a completely different game than what I'm seeing people on YouTube play.

They still haven't fixed the bug where finishing or leaving a mission with someone at Death's Door carries the Death's Door state over to their next mission. Recruits always get a negative and positive trait on every mission. That makes the Sanitarium very nearly useless because it's not worth it to drop money healing someone of a negative trait if there's a decent chance they'll get a worse/another one soon. You can also be assured that if you keep playing that the trait you don't like will be overwritten eventually. Also from a numbers standpoint you are guaranteed to have max negative traits on everyone in the long term because you're generating 4 negative traits while the maximum number of slots you can get in the Asylum is 3.

Along with these bugs we did manage to get the Stun and Breakthrough nerfs too so it just feels like the Mac version gets all the updates that make the game harder while having none of the other bugs that make the game more tedious fixed.

Also, I discovered today you can throw away trinkets in your Hamlet by accidentally throwing away my Sun Cloak while trying to manage inventory space. However, you can't shift-click to unequip trinkets from recruits. You have to open the stupid box, and drag it across because some time in the next 2 years they're obviously planning to port this to tablets. The UI polish needs a lot of work. The trinket box should be infinite scrolling by default. It shouldn't expand when you bring too many back from a mission then shrink again. It makes trinket management real annoying.

I also think managing recruits is a pain in the rear end. I wish I could hit a button to sort by stress level or hit a button to sort by Resolve level. Those 2 buttons would save me so much time.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Feb 15, 2015

Drunken_Pirate
May 7, 2007
I'm getting kind of fed up with how RNG in this game can completely gently caress you over. You need some, to keep the game interesting, but I've just had an experienced and equipped party wipe on their second encounter because some bandits scored strings of crits with their blanket fire, while my cleric and occultist scored the worst possible rolls on their heals/stuns for 3 turns running. In the long run it's a minor setback but it's not fun to have to sit there as my guys get slaughtered by a group of low level bandits because of some unlucky dice rolls. I wish dialogue was skippable too. My party went from ~0 stress to maxed out within 2 turns of the second encounter and sitting through their dialogue, waiting for them all to die so you can move on, is irritating.

Hopefully before release they'll find a middle ground between combat being piss easy or you just get hosed up the rear end by the RNG.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Anatharon posted:

I suppose my biggest issue is that everything's a big old roll of the dice and there isn't much you can do about it.

Pretty much.

I mean don't get me wrong here I like the game - I enjoy crafting stories out of my adventurers with the trait system, their breakdowns, etc - but a lot of the time it feels like my "mistakes" come from all enemies getting a critical hit on the same party member in a single turn, or going weeks without a useable healer, rather than genuine gently caress-ups on my part. It's a tricky thing to balance I'll admit but it's no less irritating.

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011

Waffle! posted:

I'm at that terrifying junction of wanting to kill a boss, and being afraid of losing all my good gear again.

Honestly, the only hard part is figuring out a tactic, and getting there with minimal damage. The bosses are, so far, pretty easy. If you can clear them once, then you'll clear them a second time and a third. Usually the trick is to bring two Hellions with If It Bleeds, and bleed everything.

Incidentally, I just got done wiping the floor with the Swine King, and every adventurer came back with the Nymphomania quirk. I don't even want to know.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Radiochromatic posted:

Honestly, the only hard part is figuring out a tactic, and getting there with minimal damage. The bosses are, so far, pretty easy. If you can clear them once, then you'll clear them a second time and a third. Usually the trick is to bring two Hellions with If It Bleeds, and bleed everything.

Incidentally, I just got done wiping the floor with the Swine King, and every adventurer came back with the Nymphomania quirk. I don't even want to know.

Huh, what's nymphomania do? I assumed it'd be 'only able to use the brothel for stress relief' but that's called love intrest.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Anatharon posted:

Huh, what's nymphomania do? I assumed it'd be 'only able to use the brothel for stress relief' but that's called love intrest.

If I remember right, that one makes the Brothel give more stress relief.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
"Don't bring torches if you think the game is too easy" is akin to saying "don't play well" and is as such incredibly asinine.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

how me a frog posted:

"Don't bring torches if you think the game is too easy" is akin to saying "don't play well" and is as such incredibly asinine.

Nobody's really saying that because not using torches is actually kind of OP. Any character with decent crit chance crits a lot more often, and it's often enough to offset any of the stress you get while walking around. On top of this you get more loot.

Below 25 light the game gets harder for sure, but between 25 and 50 is basically the sweet spot.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I exclusively play no-torch runs. Considering that the key to success in the game is developing your hamlet and not getting too invested in your heroes, the money is worth it.

In terms of combat, the crits are good not because they relieve some stress, but because they help kill poo poo faster and minimize chances for enemies to cause stress.

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008
Even pitch black runs are super easy. I'm running around with like 40% crit and 50% dodge in the dark on a team of robber,robber,robber,occultist.

Lunge is super powerful. 40% and 10% base crit. Basically most of the enemy dies on the first turn, it takes 1-2 hits or a crit to kill someone.
Enemies are all dead by the second turn.
Since enemies get little chance to attack me, my dodge rate means I hardly take damage. So most runs I don't even need the occultist's heals.
Hes just in case something goes super wrong and because
I have no one else lvl 4 to run.

I've also been experimenting with a jester/highway/highway/highway team. Its working pretty well but feels significantly weaker than the above team.
I can finish medium runs, but generally not by a significant margin. I'm always around 25-50% of my health on my guys. The idea is to camp and clean guns.

I was trying to crit a lot, but since two of your highway men are always point blanking, only the third guy gets to crit.
TBH, id' probably swap out the jester for a fourth highway man. Just to kill stuff faster. I'd originally brought the jester for the idea of stacking the battle buff.
But the only think that has brought has been guaranteeing I go first after a surprise on the enemy (due to the speed buff).
Or maybe bring a occultist/vestel instead for the security.

Honestly I've yet to find a role for the jester. Or the plague doctor. The doctor is all cc and dots. Both of which are useless.
Theres no point in stunning an enemy when I can kill an enemy a move sooner by attacking instead of stunning, and mitigate more damage.
Similarly dots aren't worth it when you need to kill enemies quickly so you take less damage. If battles lasted 5-10 turns I could see dots being worth it. But not when the last 1-3.

Same deal with self buffs. Why bother wasting a turn to cast a buff that gives a little accuarcy and crit? Its not worth it unless it brings more damage to the table than an actual attack.

There are some exceptions. Like if your down to a single weak enemy, you can chain CC/buff dodge him and heal back up. Or prep buffs for your next fight. But that is the only time I've found buffs/stuns to be useful.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Plague Doctor's only real use is battlefield medicine to offset any occultist's wyrd reconstruction and maybe emboldening vapours.

Jesters are pretty mediocre overall as far as I've found. I usually use two just to keep some challenge up.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Waffle! posted:

Remember you can always run from the boss battle itself and abort the run if it gets deadly.

poptart_fairy posted:

Pretty much.

I mean don't get me wrong here I like the game - I enjoy crafting stories out of my adventurers with the trait system, their breakdowns, etc - but a lot of the time it feels like my "mistakes" come from all enemies getting a critical hit on the same party member in a single turn, or going weeks without a useable healer, rather than genuine gently caress-ups on my part. It's a tricky thing to balance I'll admit but it's no less irritating.

Well you can always build better parties in response. Even without a healer, there are some parties that are better than others. I watched a buddy go without a healer and instead of putting a robber back there he put a hellion to spam lunge :/

I feel like even if things are outside your control, there's always enough to control to influence things towards your side. Like all RNG, there is usually something you can do to stack the odds in your favor. You may lose a critical roll here and there, but you will do better over time with good setups.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 15, 2015

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
I mean right now the only challenge IS the RNG. The game isn't really built around there being any other element of challenge since dungeons are linear affairs with set combats and you aren't really asked to make any decisions in the game yet with regards to character building.

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008
The challenge is learning the mechanics and the interactions between items/heroes/enemies. Once you have that down the RNG is more or less irrelevant.

And yeah, your asked to make plenty of decisions with respect to character building, and you get penalized for making bad decisions. At what point do you start investing in heroes? What upgrades do you go for first? What skills work well together? What skills should you run on your character? Which camping skills? When do you start spending $ on camping skills? What trinkets do you use? What characters do you bring on runs? How and when do you treat them for stress? For quirks?

Make good decisions and the rng won't be important. Make bad decisions and you'll get killed.

Edit:

Does anyone understand how protection works? It lists a % but I don't think that is a percentage reduction in damage, because 20% protection seems to reduce 10 damage hits down to 1 damage.

Legacyspy fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 15, 2015

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Anatharon posted:

Just remember that DD is literally a board game that you play with keyboard and mouse.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Onkel Hedwig posted:

"Ambushed by bowel invention!"
"The poor caretaker! I believe his longstanding duties here have... perfected him."

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Ya I'd say this is a game where reading anything on tactics or mechanics probably removes a large chunk of the initial difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Motherfucker. Thought this was an Explore and turned back when I saw a Wall so close to the start.