Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
also cargo pants and 4 year old palm phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

ppl still pissing and moaning about gnome 3 (perhaps justifiably tbh) should use Gnome Classic mode

gnome classic is deprecated

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Smythe posted:

ok im not going to have cable aargment in the linux thread but basically their phones imo shoulda been normal microusb, mini displayport was nothing put a adapter-plug basically (literally never seen a native displaypor device) and firewire was horse shhit idk maybe im a loving moron but like their cables are annoying to me.

native displayport is common as dirt, but it is always the full-size connector.

"mini" displayport is a weird apple-ism

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

shitface posted:

AirPrint is probably lighter for a mobile device

AirPrint being entirely rendered on the device is far harder for a device vendor to get wrong

I love PostScript, but these days the only software worse than printer divers is the software actually running on the printer. client-side rasterization is the only way to go.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

gnome classic is deprecated

really doubt it since it's the default mode of operation for the latest RHEL!

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
thread got me curious, airprint is apparently zeroconf + ipp + a requirement for the printer to support & advertise at minimum the capability to accept universal raster format (urf) + optional support for jpg + optional support for pdf rasterization. also apple devices will prefer pdf if it's avail

all this stuff is off the shelf tech and supposedly it's p easy for randos to write a little bit of glue so that avahi (for the zeroconf service discov) + cups (for the ipp & rasterization) on a linux with (insert random cups supported printer here) functions as an airprint printer

interestingly i ran into several references on the net which hint that apple was originally going to release such print server software and document everything more openly only to be smacked down by hp's giant printing patent penis

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

"mini" displayport is a weird apple-ism

in our real world apple granted royalty free use of the connector to the entire world and vesa, seeing that it was Good, proceeded to incorporate it as an alternate connector in the official displayport standard. iirc this sequence of events happened about two milliseconds after apple shipped their first mini displayport device so it has basically never been proprietary

many non apple video cards use mini displayport for one or more of the outputs because if you have to jam lots of them onto a card for multihead it's a hell of a lot easier when the connectors are tiny

pram
Jun 10, 2001
apple is truly doing gods work

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lol

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

bsd world

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

my thinkpad has a thunderbolt port

well that's my story

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Mr Dog posted:

really doubt it since it's the default mode of operation for the latest RHEL!

it is; if you're on arch or tracking current, in gnome 3.12 /.14 classic no longer works. If you're looking for that gnome classic feel, use mate which is the continuation of gnome 2 and works well.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
red hat does not really have a plan for the desktop

shipping gnome 3 with the standard shell is not a viable option because many red hat "desktop" users just want a server management GUI on a VM

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

red hat does not really have a plan for the desktop

shipping gnome 3 with the standard shell is not a viable option because many red hat "desktop" users just want a server management GUI on a VM

And this was why we invented Cockpit.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

And this was why we invented Cockpit.

cockpit is cool and all but i don't think it's gonna replace the graphics head on the server itself

if only because you can't have a $10/hr cj log in and start a web browser to check http://127.0.0.1:8080

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
yes it is dumb as hell

no i do not think people are gonna stop asking for it

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

cockpit is cool and all but i don't think it's gonna replace the graphics head on the server itself

if only because you can't have a $10/hr cj log in and start a web browser to check http://127.0.0.1:8080

Ur lin kis broken.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Ur lin kis broken.

works for me

Marsol0
Jun 6, 2004
No avatar. I just saved you some load time. You're welcome.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

not sure why you expect a $10/hr cj to be able to do anything

pram
Jun 10, 2001
remember openlmi guys? no? oh

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Why would you ever ever ever run a GUI on a server? Retarded.

Fedora on Desktop trip report: everything worked out of the box. Installing the Nvidia drivers (via yum) caused a kernel update, but it neglected to automatically install the 8MiB package with extra drivers (including the sound card drivers) along with the base 30MiB kernel package. So I suddenly had no sound. It's good to be home.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

Athas posted:

Fedora on Desktop trip report: everything worked out of the box. Installing the Nvidia drivers (via yum) caused a kernel update, but it neglected to automatically install the 8MiB package with extra drivers (including the sound card drivers) along with the base 30MiB kernel package. So I suddenly had no sound. It's good to be home.

yes clearly it all works out of the box

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

a computar must be fought with struggled with a battle to the death with the machine

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

du -hast posted:

yes clearly it all works out of the box

I legit don't understand why everyone doesn't use CentOS

- Tested a bunch
- Created by a company of employed non-poors

Nope gently caress that i'm gonna install sperg-jort OS

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i heard centos is called centos because the packages are a century old

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Athas posted:

If you are already running an X server, why not?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
why would you run x in a server

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i heard centos is called centos because the packages are a century old

this is only a bad thing on your desktop

for your business applications it's a win: TEN YEARS between disruptive upgrades

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Athas posted:

Celexi posted:

so your idiot cj can log in and open a web browser, "just like windows"

is it stupid? definitely
will people still demand it? yep.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Celexi posted:

Believe it or not, there are instances where running an X application remotely is the easiest option for everyone.

Maybe if you specify dedicate web server, sure no reason. But not every server only serves up web pages.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

so your idiot cj can log in and open a web browser, "just like windows"

is it stupid? definitely
will people still demand it? yep.

how do your IT infrastructure people access your appliances' (web)guis without a graphical management server?

just curious

pram
Jun 10, 2001
they connect to it through an internet 'browser '

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

pram posted:

they connect to it through an internet 'browser '

so you open your infra network to the users network :confused:?

also, what happens when an it person need to manage something remotely? what's your equivalent to citrix+rdp into management server?

Marsol0
Jun 6, 2004
No avatar. I just saved you some load time. You're welcome.
ssh, generally

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Believe it or not, there are instances where running an X application remotely is the easiest option for everyone.

Maybe if you specify dedicate web server, sure no reason. But not every server only serves up web pages.

you don't need to run an X server on a system to export applications from it to your desktop

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

so you open your infra network to the users network :confused:?

also, what happens when an it person need to manage something remotely? what's your equivalent to citrix+rdp into management server?

are you mentally retarded

pram
Jun 10, 2001
oh wait youre a windows person the answer is yes

pram
Jun 10, 2001
you have a vpn into your infra subnet. you ssh in. you dont need to log on with vnc and load firefox to check a local http server lol

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
The successor to classic and fallback is Flashback. It's not bad.

I'm using both flashback and gnome shell and I'm about to ditch shell entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
looks like poo poo