Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Does ComicRack let you do Wifi sync on IOS? It works great on my Android Tablet although to be fair I got it for free with some play store credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
I did something last night that was amazing, I was able to download a cbr in Good Reader and tell it to open in Comic Zeal. You don't even have to use a computer anymore.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I updated the second post with CBZ apps. I don't use Mac or iOS, so I would really appreciate any feedback or if someone wants to write a description for the iOS apps.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611527&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post426275688

I also included only a few of the many, many Android apps out there. If you feel like I should add something, let me know.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

AlmightyBob posted:

Does ComicRack let you do Wifi sync on IOS? It works great on my Android Tablet although to be fair I got it for free with some play store credit.

Yeah it does. Works the same.

ComicRack is my favourite reader on iOS. It's better than comic zeal.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
You might want to update the OP, actually. ComicsFix and Archie are two other streaming/subscription based comics options. ComicsFix have a way, way smaller selection than even Scribd, though. (Dynamite and Valiant seem to be the only 'big' publishers) Haven't tried them myself, but found out about them when I looked into who else was doing this kinda thing.

Archie is mainly app-focused, and is based off iVerse's platform. (iVerse also have their own storefront/app called ComicsPlus, which is pretty meh, but has most of the big names on board, including DC, and a handful of small press publishers that aren't in bed with Comixology/Amazon yet.) The iVerse reader is less good than most that do the panel view/tap to flip pages style, but it's better than Scribd's. The Archie Unlimited thing is cheaper than any of the other options and has a ton of stuff, including the Afterlife line.

Edit: And Scribd actually have more publishers than listed in the OP. They've got a limited amount of Dynamite stuff, some Archie, BOOM, Valiant and Zenescope, as well as a couple of other names I'd never really heard of. (HA! I just looked at the names I didn't recognise, and they have Kingstone, who appear to publish Christian books?)

Double Edit: Though good call with ComicsReader in the Android apps. That's the one I use. I like how many formats it works with. You can even just have unzipped folders of .jpegs and it'll work, assuming the files are labelled right. :)

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 14, 2015

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Added Archie, Comicsfix, and Comics Plus. I had a lot of trouble figuring out how the whole Archie thing worked: let me know if I hosed up explaining it or should add more detail.

I'm trying to keep the OP from having too much information so it doesn't become too confusing for new readers. I don't want to be adding every single shop on there. I think it's about where I want it now unless I missed some other big player. Like Humble Bundle. poo poo, forgot to add them.

I really want to play with that Astonishing Comic Reader, but it just wasn't working with my Nook. I personally like Komik better than ComicsReader, but, again, that stopped working with my tablet. Good thing Image started selling DRM-free files through comiXology, as that still works great and keeps everything in one place.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Never been able to get the Archie subscription thing to work on the web version, but it's fine in the app. You just sign up like you would if buying any other thing in-app, then you can read anything that's marked as part of Unlimited, and like the Marvel app, you can download a limited number of books at a time to your device so you can read even if you don't have a wireless connection. It just bills me through the payment card I use for Google Play. (UK resident, so it comes to Ł3.50 a month, which is less than it costs me to get to work most days.)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.comixology.com/Letter-44-Sale/page/5387?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Letter 44 rules. Get it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Are there any IOS CBZ readers that let you access files over an FTP?

Abraham Lincoln
Feb 12, 2008
If you are a racist I will attack you with the North

Shawn posted:

I did something last night that was amazing, I was able to download a cbr in Good Reader and tell it to open in Comic Zeal. You don't even have to use a computer anymore.

I've done this and it works great. Currently my workflow is to put everything in Dropbox. I open Dropbox on iPad to download the comic I want to read (sometimes I do this beforehand if I know I won't have a wireless connection) and then send it to ComicZel.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Medullah posted:

Are there any IOS CBZ readers that let you access files over an FTP?
hey guys are there any comic readers that can receive a 28.8 fax

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

That Letter 44 sale ends tomorrow, get on it already!

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Where's a good place to get some digital pokemon comics? I know they must exist. Or if anyone has any other recommendations for a 10 year old girl let me hear them--I already have Bone and the Mega Man series and Adventure time stuff and a couple of the recent Sonic comics that take place after the series apparently de-suckified itself. She's obsessed with Pokémon though and that's the main thing I wanted.

Comixology for once was no help...though a search for 'pokemon' did bring up the adventures of Max Gamer, Aspie Superhero! which sure is a thing that exists.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I completely forgot that Amazon has that neat little panel thing. It's like a guided view and considering how cheap they are with digital trades, it's an option worth considering even without a Kindle device.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Zoe posted:

Where's a good place to get some digital pokemon comics? I know they must exist. Or if anyone has any other recommendations for a 10 year old girl let me hear them--I already have Bone and the Mega Man series and Adventure time stuff and a couple of the recent Sonic comics that take place after the series apparently de-suckified itself. She's obsessed with Pokémon though and that's the main thing I wanted.

Comixology for once was no help...though a search for 'pokemon' did bring up the adventures of Max Gamer, Aspie Superhero! which sure is a thing that exists.

Amazon does http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n...rnid=2941120011

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Zoe posted:

Pokemon Adventures is really great, it's more like a traditional manga than a Pokemon manga cash-in. You can start at pretty much any arc and it's good.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Zoe posted:

If she's mature enough for something like Harry Potter, Gotham Academy is great https://www.comixology.com/Gotham-Academy/comics-series/26656?ref=Y29taWMvdmlldy9kZXNrdG9wL2JyZWFkY3J1bWJz Lumberjanes https://www.comixology.com/Lumberjanes/comics-series/16309?ref=Y29taWMvdmlldy9kZXNrdG9wL2JyZWFkY3J1bWJz and Bandette https://www.comixology.com/Bandette/comics-series/8519?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9zZXJpZXNTbGlkZXI are very fun female led comics.

e: Bandette had a 15+ thing on the page, so I had a look, and it's all light hearted, but the police chief smokes the whole time and some goons fired pistols at the heroine while she rode away. Check it fist.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 16, 2015

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

This is good poo poo, stayed up late to read it all in one go. I do not regret the sleep deprivation.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Is Letter 44 an ongoing or was it just a 13 issue run? It sounds cool but I like to wait and read the whole thing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Opopanax posted:

Is Letter 44 an ongoing or was it just a 13 issue run? It sounds cool but I like to wait and read the whole thing.

Its an ongoing. There is a new issue this week.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Jason Aaron's Wolverine and the X-Men is on sale for a buck a pop.
https://m.comixology.com/Wolverine-and-the-X-Men-Sale/page/5402

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Decent run that started better than it ended. Most of Aaron's Marvel stuff has been worth reading.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I forgot to add that if you only have $1 to spare, you want the issue with Doop.
https://m.comixology.com/Wolverine-and-the-X-Men-17/digital-comic/30938

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Uthor posted:

I forgot to add that if you only have $1 to spare, you want the issue with Doop.
https://m.comixology.com/Wolverine-and-the-X-Men-17/digital-comic/30938

One of my all time favourite issues. So much fun to read.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You know the Marvel Unlimited app is a crapton better now, my only real issue with it now is a i wish that it wouldn't occasionally chop off text and and images sometimes on the older comics (newer ones really don't have the issue). Truthfully it's not that better and the app (on the ipad and even Android) is a lot less crash happy now. I'd say this is finally the time for MU to shine.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

gfanikf posted:

You know the Marvel Unlimited app is a crapton better now, my only real issue with it now is a i wish that it wouldn't occasionally chop off text and and images sometimes on the older comics (newer ones really don't have the issue). Truthfully it's not that better and the app (on the ipad and even Android) is a lot less crash happy now. I'd say this is finally the time for MU to shine.

It's certainly a lot better than it was on the iPad. There are still a few silly problems with it. I like to read single pages but holding the iPad landscape so the page is the width of the screen, but whenever you do turn it sideways it automatically switches to a two page, which is really annoying.

Also for some reason it seems to cut off a couple of cm from the right edge of the screen.

But yeah it's much better than it used to be.

pastis
Aug 1, 2004

Ouzo is for louzos
Anyone else having Comixology payment problems today? I've been unable to get Letter 44 via Amazon payments or Paypal since around midnight.

Edit: my bad. Had to update my card's expiration date for some reason. Comixology is fine.

pastis fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 17, 2015

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

krakagar posted:

It's certainly a lot better than it was on the iPad. There are still a few silly problems with it. I like to read single pages but holding the iPad landscape so the page is the width of the screen, but whenever you do turn it sideways it automatically switches to a two page, which is really annoying.

Funny enough that's exactly the reason I canceled it last time. I'm still having the problem, but since I lock it in one position I've been mitigating it by just reading it in one page mode. That said, it really needs to be at the top of the bug squashing list since a lot of the stability issues have been fixed.

krakagar posted:

Also for some reason it seems to cut off a couple of cm from the right edge of the screen.

But yeah it's much better than it used to be.
Yeah, this one is the one that bugs me a bit more, mostly because I have to lose story or art. I suspect it's because they use an algorithm or non manual scanning for the smart panels. I do wish they used HD titles for everything, but for the cost...I'm fine with it.

I really do love the concept of the service, and I finally feel, some notable fixes notwithstanding, the execution is finally there. I'm going to cancel out the monthly subscription and switch to yearly soon.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Get to it, Bronies!
https://m.comixology.com/comics-sale?list_id=5574

There's also a Zenescope sale going on, but I doubt anyone cares.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FBI is going to have busy database building event today.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Uthor posted:

Get to it, Bronies!
https://m.comixology.com/comics-sale?list_id=5574

There's also a Zenescope sale going on, but I doubt anyone cares.

Probably the same people who care about the other one.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Edit: Forget it.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 17, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Marvel is having a buy one get one free sale.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Oh poo poo! Been waiting to read Ms. Marvel. Will probably also grab Squirrel Girl.

How is Silver Surfer shaping up? I enjoyed the first issue. On the other hand, Dan Slott.

Also, what does one need to read to follow Loki past Gillen's Journey Into Mystery?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Uthor posted:

Oh poo poo! Been waiting to read Ms. Marvel. Will probably also grab Squirrel Girl.

How is Silver Surfer shaping up? I enjoyed the first issue. On the other hand, Dan Slott.

Also, what does one need to read to follow Loki past Gillen's Journey Into Mystery?

Young Avengers and then Loki: Agent of Asgard.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

Young Avengers and then Loki: Agent of Asgard.

Oh, I'm good on Young Avengers. Thank you!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bobkatt013 posted:

The fact it works on collected editions makes it even better. Though in some cases it makes more sense to buy individually then getting the collected edition. Say first Spiderman masterwork for example it's cheaper to get the first 10 issues on your own.

This sale is going to lead to some ridiculous possibilities....like all of Hickman FF run....of course it's probably still more then getting a used hardcover...but eh.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Uthor posted:

I'm loving it.

e: Oh man. If that Marvel code worked on pre-orders... it doesn't :(

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 21, 2015

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I added one collection to the cart for 19.99 then some 3.99 books to fill some gaps.

Guess I read it wrong because it was full price on the collection and each second 3.99 book was free.

I'll try harder to get a deal later. This will require strategy.

fake edit: right, buy the issues. 12 dollars instead of 20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.comixology.com/Ales-Kot-Sale/page/5480?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL3NtYWxsQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Zero 1-13, Change, Wild Children