Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Burkion posted:

I just realized why Kamen Rider 4 has the kind of doofy looking mouth plate.

It's because the real Kamen Rider 4, Riderman, has his mouth exposed.

That-- makes a lot of sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzhMc7a5cTM

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Many thanks for this.

Riding the Choo-choo was fun, but I can't wait til Ninja time.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 15, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

jivjov posted:

Many things for this.

Riding the Choo-choo was fun, but I can't wait til Ninja time.
How was the finale? I've been hesitant to watch ToQ because I've been concerned they'd fumble it right at the finish line like Kyoryuger did.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Poison Mushroom posted:

How was the finale? I've been hesitant to watch ToQ because I've been concerned they'd fumble it right at the finish line like Kyoryuger did.

No idea. Nyaa doesn't have a raw up, and it'll probably be Tuesday before subs are out.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
ToQger would have to be good in the first place to trip at the finish line like Kyoryuger did.

Also if you hate it when the Red gets all the glory in the final battle, I've got bad news for you.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Poison Mushroom posted:

Well its been fumbled the whole way through so no need to worry about that.

Anyways so long ToQger, you won't be missed. I tried to like the show and stuck with it longer than a lot of people here did (and then went back and watched through all the stuff I had missed over the past two or so weeks to get entirely caught up) and the show was going okay at first but just never took off. Ninijer looks fun so here's hoping it actually is. Having non-train/rolling zords again is a real breath of fresh air. Its not often that I gain much enjoyment from seeing robot previews but I liked seeing the (very short bursts of) mechs in action in the preview so here's hoping that that does not get old fast.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Kyoruger ended with the heroes singing the theme song to turn the tide of battle. That's dope.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Woke up early to pull the trigger on a Shurikenjin from CSToys. Said it was sold out after I put in my order so now we wait and see if I got in under the wire.

$27 dollars in shipping and still cheaper than what BBTS would have cost.

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008
So Nininger is going to be the first time I've gotten into a Toku show at launch. What should I be expecting as far as when a subbed version will be coming out?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Crono S. Magnum posted:

So Nininger is going to be the first time I've gotten into a Toku show at launch. What should I be expecting as far as when a subbed version will be coming out?

Over-Time has not definitively stated if they'll be subbing this one yet (they never confirm until after a show airs), but if they do, their Sentail subs usually hit on the Tuesday or Wednesday after an episode airs, but again, not a hard and fast rule, sometimes it's earlier and sometimes it's later. They appear to prioritize Kamen Rider; subs for that almost always come out first.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is it just me or does Nin seem like a massive retread of Shinkenger, as far as the plot goes? It's like you could just replace SAMURAI for NINJA and end up with the same exact thing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
It feels like a Kaku/Shinken hybrid to me, just based off the previews. We've got past generations of rangers ala Shinken, and what looks to be a comedic tone, ala Kaku.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Burkion posted:

Is it just me or does Nin seem like a massive retread of Shinkenger, as far as the plot goes? It's like you could just replace SAMURAI for NINJA and end up with the same exact thing.

Not really, it might be based off the same concept (picking up where your ancestors left off to fight against an eternal evil) but honestly Dairanger shared that concept too and it was nothing like Shinkenger. The real heart of Shinkenger to me was the Shinkengers putting their own personal lives aside to take part in that battle and Red's own struggle to lead the Shinkengers- being a comedic series I doubt that Ninninjer will emphasize things like that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Burkion posted:

It looks way more like Kakuranger to me.

If it is remotely as good as Kakuranger I'll be happy.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President
Please give me a ranger with a thick American accent again, thanks Japan.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I hope Nin is significantly more interesting at the beginning. I'm glad that I caught up with ToQ and am looking forward to watching the ending, but it took a LOT of fast-forwarding past the boring elements to get there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ask Me For Warez posted:

Please give me a ranger with a thick American accent again, thanks Japan.

Have you seen Nininger's sixth ranger?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

The writer for Nininininin...inin..ger...Ninninger? Whatever. He's apparently a protege of the dude who wrote Carranger, Poitrine and 'that episode of Abaranger about the wigs' according to Lynxara of the Low Visibility podcast

So don't expect this to be a dire, dark seaon

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think we all knew what to expect when we knew the premise was about a bunch of ninjas who decided "gently caress being sneaky, let's get rowdy."

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

I think we all knew what to expect when we knew the premise was about a bunch of ninjas who decided "gently caress being sneaky, let's get rowdy."

Complete with Sheriff McCheese: THE ROBOT!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

ToQger would have to be good in the first place to trip at the finish line like Kyoryuger did.

Also if you hate it when the Red gets all the glory in the final battle, I've got bad news for you.

I completely disagree with your spoiler there...unlike Kyoryuger, where the rest of the team wasn't even present for the final battle, all of Right's teammates were right there with him. They got to take out Nero and Mork, and backed him up for the final cannon blast. It wasn't one hundred percent a team fight, but I'd call is a 60/40 Right/Everyone Else split.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

I completely disagree with your spoiler there...unlike Kyoryuger, where the rest of the team wasn't even present for the final battle, all of Right's teammates were right there with him. They got to take out Nero and Mork, and backed him up for the final cannon blast. It wasn't one hundred percent a team fight, but I'd call is a 60/40 Right/Everyone Else split.
They didn't take out Nero and Mork, Zed absorbed them both. Both ToQger and Kyoryuger had only the Red get to lay a hit on the Final Boss, but at least Kyoryuger allowed the rest of the team to take out the Generals.

There's a huge difference between actual teamwork, and the Red just using everyone else's toys.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I haven't watched any of ToQger, but I am so excited for Ninninger, it's unreal. Really high hopes. It feels like all the best things about Sentai in one show.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I liked ToQGer a whole bunch.

There, I said it :colbert:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Stallion Cabana posted:

I liked ToQGer a whole bunch.

There, I said it :colbert:

I did too. It didn't grab me as hard as Kyoryu did, and I think overall I liked the sambasaurs better, but ToQger was a drat fine season and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

They didn't take out Nero and Mork, Zed absorbed them both. Both ToQger and Kyoryuger had only the Red get to lay a hit on the Final Boss, but at least Kyoryuger allowed the rest of the team to take out the Generals.

There's a huge difference between actual teamwork, and the Red just using everyone else's toys.

In terms of THEME, though, he wouldn't have been able to do anything without everyone else's IMAG-I-NATION

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Was that the first time someone transferred to orange? By the time he came around the tranferring gimmick was falling by the wayside. I'll probably miss the secondary cast more than the main actors but I think that Hikari was a good character, I'll definitely remember him more than some of the other characters (both from TQG and sentai in general.)

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Cliff Racer posted:

Was that the first time someone transferred to orange? By the time he came around the tranferring gimmick was falling by the wayside. I'll probably miss the secondary cast more than the main actors but I think that Hikari was a good character, I'll definitely remember him more than some of the other characters (both from TQG and sentai in general.)

When Akira first shows up Right tries to use the orange morpher and nothing happens. They say it doesn't work that way, so it working now just seems like, "gently caress it whatever, rainbows"

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Parallax posted:

In terms of THEME, though, he wouldn't have been able to do anything without everyone else's IMAG-I-NATION

Well yeah and Daigo wouldn't have been able to do anything without being everyone else singing the Earth's True Melody. It still makes for a lackluster fight scene. What's your point?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
ToQGer's finale was fantastic. They combined every gimmick from the series for a great payoff.

I think my favorite part was when they location jumped from to the wrecked city to the quarry. It's like they were bound by contract to have both locations in the finale.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Gokaiger's final battle is still my favorite out of the PR/Sentai ones I've seen.
But 50% of that just the announcer changes going nonstop. :v:

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Parallax posted:

When Akira first shows up Right tries to use the orange morpher and nothing happens. They say it doesn't work that way, so it working now just seems like, "gently caress it whatever, rainbows"

The first time they tried Ticket said something like 'he's so strong he doesn't need it', at least that's what the subs said. Presumably enough IMAGINATION can overcome that though, as was shown.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Just watched the finale again with subs, and yeah, I don't think the final fight was nearly as Red-centric as Kyoryu's. Yeah, the final blow on Zed's monster form was dealt by Right, but the entire team was there, they fought the remaining generals (and defeated them; sure they didn't explode, but they were out of the fight, all they could do was give their bodies in service to their emperor). And then the final cannon blast was a team-effort. Sure, they could have made it a 6-on-1-brawl, and there would have been some cool choreography there, but it didn't come off as Right Sentai RedQger to me at all.

Also, I really like that in the very end they managed to have enough [dolly zoom]IMAGINATION[/dolly zoom] to remember everything. I anticipate whatever asspull they have to do to age the kids back up again for Ninnin vs ToQ.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Gokaiger's final battle was so loving good

"You can whine about to your kid when you see him in hell."

Marvelous.

:allears:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

jivjov posted:

Just watched the finale again with subs, and yeah, I don't think the final fight was nearly as Red-centric as Kyoryu's. Yeah, the final blow on Zed's monster form was dealt by Right, but the entire team was there, they fought the remaining generals (and defeated them; sure they didn't explode, but they were out of the fight, all they could do was give their bodies in service to their emperor). And then the final cannon blast was a team-effort. Sure, they could have made it a 6-on-1-brawl, and there would have been some cool choreography there, but it didn't come off as Right Sentai RedQger to me at all.

Also, I really like that in the very end they managed to have enough [dolly zoom]IMAGINATION[/dolly zoom] to remember everything. I anticipate whatever asspull they have to do to age the kids back up again for Ninnin vs ToQ.

Ninnin vs. ToQ will actually take place 20 years in the future. The ToQgers still act like manchildren because uhhh imagination. Alternatively, the adult actors save Akira won't appear at all and the kids do a suitless rollcall.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Taking a cue from Gokaiger with the point blank team cannon was nice.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Tran posted:

Taking a cue from Gokaiger with the point blank team cannon was nice.
But what made it so cool in Gokaiger was that they used the ridiculous design of the bazooka as a weapon, literally impaling him with that goofy rear end thing. Here they just shoved it up against his chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

But what made it so cool in Gokaiger was that they used the ridiculous design of the bazooka as a weapon, literally impaling him with that goofy rear end thing. Here they just shoved it up against his chest.

Implying that the ToQ super cannon's design wasn't ridiculous?

I'm going to agree that on the whole, I liked the ToQ finale. I agree that the finale fight echoed Kyolug a lot, but while Kyolug's solo fight came out of nowhere, Right vs Zed was thematically set up throughout the whole series. Also, the rest of the crew actually physically being there added a lot; Right being the only one who could withstand Zed's increased power also made sense due to the last three episodes. ToQ Rainbow was awesome and the Gokai callback was equally awesome.

• Locked thread