Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Yuya going all Action armor on us would be awesome

For reference this is a Nekroz:

A guy using this monster as armor:

Suddenly the card lore becomes canon and the show is rebranded as Yu-Ga-Ga-Gi-Goh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Aren't the Nekroz using dead monsters as armour?

Because if they are, then Yuya using a Nekroz of Odd-Eyes would be...just a little disturbing, wouldn't it?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Aren't the Nekroz using dead monsters as armour?

Because if they are, then Yuya using a Nekroz of Odd-Eyes would be...just a little disturbing, wouldn't it?

:v:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

ThermoPhysical posted:

Looks like the next Weekly Shonen Jump promo will be Ultimaya Tzolk'in as voted in by...pretty much everyone, really.

Attb: DARK
Type: Dragon/Synchro/Effect
Level: 0
ATK/DEF: 0/0

This card is treated as Level 12. Cannot be Synchro Summoned. Must be Special Summoned by sending 2 Level 5 or higher monsters you control that has the same Level (1 Tuner and 1 non-Tuner), and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. Once per turn, when a Spell/Trap Card(s) is Set on your side of the field: You can Special Summon 1 "Power Tool" Synchro Monster or Level 7 or 8 Dragon-Type Synchro Monster from your Extra Deck. While you control another Synchro Monster, this face-up card on the field cannot be targeted by attacks or card effects.
There are few things quite as fun as activating a Breakthrough Skill just as your opponent summons this guy.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So, dumb question but does anything use the Card Code these days?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

All the video games do, except the international release of ZEXAL World Duel Carnival because it just gives you all the cards off the bat.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lol, eat poo poo Kachidoki.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Dabir posted:

All the video games do, except the international release of ZEXAL World Duel Carnival because it just gives you all the cards off the bat.

The Android/iOS game doesn't.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I caught up with Arc-V and watched the first episode of Zexal and did not like it very much.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Beef Waifu posted:

I caught up with Arc-V and watched the first episode of Zexal and did not like it very much.

Hi, Beef Waifu. It's your friend alcharagia speaking. I just wanted to let you know that I, the person that legitimately enjoyed Drakengard 3, found the Ojamas funny, and other such poo poo, think Yugioh Zexal is irredeemably awful, and that that should tell you all you need to know about it going forward.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

alcharagia posted:

Hi, Beef Waifu. It's your friend alcharagia speaking. I just wanted to let you know that I, the person that legitimately enjoyed Drakengard 3, found the Ojamas funny, and other such poo poo, think Yugioh Zexal is irredeemably awful, and that that should tell you all you need to know about it going forward.

I have a friend that, to her credit, is a pretty massive junkie for all kinds of anime nonsense like the Project Diva stuff. She cannot watch Zexal. It is that awful that she just goes "Nope"

I cannot convince someone to suffer through it for the benefit of others. I cannot even gather a group to watch and riff it like I managed for 5Ds

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

Did you like it? Got some opinions? Thoughts? Theories?

I wonder if the guy who saved Yuya's bacon is going to become a permanent member of the cast. We already have lots people doing lots of things, why expand it even more?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

paradoxGentleman posted:

Did you like it? Got some opinions? Thoughts? Theories?

After having caught up I have deduced that Arc-V is... very good. On top of the duels managing to evolve in interesting ways, the characters develop in fun ways as well. I especially like characters like Gongenzaka and Sawatari. Sawatari is especially great, because he is like the first rival character I have seen who adapts to his rival on both a dueling level and a showmanship level. The more he develops the more he becomes an entertainment duelist himself and it's loving great. His second duel with Yuya is fantastic and it was going between him and Gongenzaka as my favorite character for a while and that duel clutched it for him. I've grown to like the dimension stuff more than when I was first introduced to it. It brings an interesting way to not only still make older summoning methods relevant, but also allow new characters to be brought into the fold without a million years of build up. The Xyz characters feel alright for the most part, but I still feel Kurosaki being completely unflappable during his fight with Sora kinda sucked. I liked that duel, but coming off of Yuya vs Sawatari 2, it's just not as good.

Pendulum Monsters are cool, Superheavy Samurai are cool, Yuzu is cool, everyone at the Duel School is a lot of fun except Futoshi whose catchphrase I hate and blegh. I dunno how I feel about the current way the tournament is being handled, it feels like it's kind of a messy way to advance the plot, but I also am kind of tired of this tournament so yeah. I dunno it feels like the series is at a point where a million things can happen and if they happen in the right way I will love and if they happen the wrong way it becomes the second half of GX all over again for me.

Onmi posted:

I cannot convince someone to suffer through it for the benefit of others.

I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna watch Zexal.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also now that I've caught up I can finally make the Arc-V part of the OP.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Arc-V is up, get your computer ready for a million gifs.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Beef Waifu posted:

Where's the principal exercising by drawing cards

VVV Gracias.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Feb 16, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Hey, do you think people get that dramatic at drawing card by just doing it, It takes practice to get that stylish.

Also I do like that in the second duel with Sawatari, his strategy of bouncing the field was countered but that didn't end the duel, Sawatari was skilled enough to swing back into it.

Also worth pointing out, though everyone already knows it, but Academia is just a really armored version of GXs Academia, with of course the uniforms being more militarized Osiris/Ra/Obelisk uniforms.

Also Shun and Yuto come from Heartland, which is the city of Zexal, so GX attacked Zexal.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

If you are really going to watch Zexal, I suggest liveblogging it to get the snark out of your system. There's always a market for that sort of thing.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Is it just me, or are Obelisk Force's masks designed to actually look like the weird thing on Obelisk's forehead?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

paradoxGentleman posted:

If you are really going to watch Zexal, I suggest liveblogging it to get the snark out of your system. There's always a market for that sort of thing.

Oh I'm sure I will have words to say about considering the first episode alone made me go.

"Why do neither of Yuma's parents look like him?"
"Why is the first episode moving so fast?"
"Why do I need to feel the flow?"
"I still hate Xyz monsters."

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Beef Waifu posted:

"I still hate Xyz monsters."

The Academia is just and right for wanting to exterminate this menace.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Onmi posted:

Also worth pointing out, though everyone already knows it, but Academia is just a really armored version of GXs Academia, with of course the uniforms being more militarized Osiris/Ra/Obelisk uniforms.

Also Shun and Yuto come from Heartland, which is the city of Zexal, so GX attacked Zexal.

And that all the Fusion Dimension mooks use Ancient Gear monsters.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I really hope that the lead Fusion villain's reasoning behind this is "I was running a decent deck based on Level-based cards, and then Xyz users started using these bullshit ranks" because then he'd be the most sympathetic villain in Yu-Gi-Oh history.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

Oh I'm sure I will have words to say about considering the first episode alone made me go.

"Why is the first episode moving so fast?"

I think that might be a consequence of being a English dub on broadcast TV. I think some scenes have to be sped up slightly because of the way commercials work differently here than in Japan.
I've started watching the dub too, coincidentally. My thoughts:

Yuma's voice is worse than the original, but he's somehow more tolerable by virtue of not spouting his stupid catchphrase literally every sentence.
I can't stop laughing every time Shark opens his mouth. His voice is so over the top.
The dub opening is a loving million times better than 5D's.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Senerio posted:

I really hope that the lead Fusion villain's reasoning behind this is "I was running a decent deck based on Level-based cards, and then Xyz users started using these bullshit ranks" because then he'd be the most sympathetic villain in Yu-Gi-Oh history.

Kochidoki or whatever going "But don't XYZs get counted as lvl 0? :( " redeemed his whole character

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its why Qli are such bastards to fight.
'Level or rank lower' effects are something real nasty to behold.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

I'm looking at this and lol what

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Man you guys are mega mad about XYZs

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

alcharagia posted:

Man you guys are mega mad about XYZs

I'm mad about the dumb black hole stock footage. It's way less cool than the synchro summon rings! Fusion background is also kind of bleh but whatever. :mad:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

The thing about XYZ is that they are considerably easier to summon than their Synchro or Fusion counterparts. This is partially balanced by the dependance of their effect on XYZ material, but even then it's not that great of a limitation.

That being said, I don't think they are as bad as everyone seems to think they are. They don't have the greatest ATK, for starters, and of you manage to endure their effect once you can probably handle them.

You know what needs a buff? Fusion monsters. They have the most limiting summon conditions and are not nearly as strong as they should be.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 16, 2015

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

paradoxGentleman posted:

You know what needs a buff? Fusion Ritual monsters. They have the most limiting summon conditions and are not nearly as strong as they should be.

Fixed that for you. I remember back in the day, the worst feel bad in the world was top decking your Thousand Eyes card with or without the ritual. Why aren't Ritual monsters put in the extra deck? (Or have the rules changed on that?)

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
You guys better get used to XYZ monsters

quote:

Entermage Trapeze Wizard

Spellcaster Xyz Effect
anime effect
2 Level 4 Spellcaster-Type monsters

Any effect damage lower than or equal to this card's ATK becomes 0. During either player's turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, then target 1 monster on the field; that target can make a second attack during each Battle Phase this turn. At the end of the Battle Phase, if it did not make a second attack, destroy it.

paradoxGentleman posted:

You know what needs a buff? Fusion monsters. They have the most limiting summon conditions and are not nearly as strong as they should be.

You want more buffs than shaddoll?

quote:

1 "Shaddoll" monster + 1 WATER monster
Must first be Fusion Summoned. Neither player can Special Summon monsters from the hand or Graveyard with Spell/Trap effects. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can target 1 "Shaddoll" Spell/Trap Card in your Graveyard; add it to your hand.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kay Kessler posted:

I think that might be a consequence of being a English dub on broadcast TV. I think some scenes have to be sped up slightly because of the way commercials work differently here than in Japan.
I've started watching the dub too, coincidentally. My thoughts:

Yuma's voice is worse than the original, but he's somehow more tolerable by virtue of not spouting his stupid catchphrase literally every sentence.
I can't stop laughing every time Shark opens his mouth. His voice is so over the top.
The dub opening is a loving million times better than 5D's.

I hate the dub opening, like I legit almost stopped watching the episode entirely because I utterly despise the dub opening.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Kochidoki or whatever going "But don't XYZs get counted as lvl 0? :( " redeemed his whole character

I laughed at both this and him slapping Yuya's hand away, it's the funniest thing about that whole episode.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 16, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Yeah, Shaddols are pretty ridiculous. That being said, them and Masked Heroes are the only fusion-based archetypes used with any regularity that I can see.
I hope that Frightfurs change this, though.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

I hate the dub opening, like I legit almost stopped watching the episode entirely because I utterly despise the dub opening.

I laughed at both this and him slapping Yuya's hand away, it's the funniest thing about that whole episode.

Oh, it's pretty bad, don't get me wrong. I'll just take anything over loving Hyper Drive.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Give me more Hyper Drive, going fast makes me feel alive.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I love ZEXAL's first dub OP. I haven't heard the second one yet, I'm only at whee Quattro lost to Shark.

4Kids was always good about Openings though.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

I love ZEXAL's first dub OP. I haven't heard the second one yet, I'm only at whee Quattro lost to Shark.

4Kids was always good about Openings though.

"Quattro"? Seriously?

I suppose it's better than the japanese names. "Hey, what should we name the villains for this arc?" "How about Three, Four, and Five?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

III was Trey
IV was Quattro
V was Quinton

Doesn't really matter since it's not their names anyway.