Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Snowy posted:

and a sweet guitar

I honestly thought that was a paintball gun for a hot second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

pointlessone posted:

That's unique at least. I'm actually curious how playing that bass would feel with a round fret board like that.

Cellos and double basses have a rounded neck and fingerboard, you get used to it. The rounding is to facilitate playing with a bow, however, so I dunno why they would do that on an electric bass.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
So.

I decided to take apart that Epi LP Special II on my shelf.

Here's the neck. Overall looks ok.

:stare:

:stonk:

:cripes:

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

crashdome posted:

So.

I decided to take apart that Epi LP Special II on my shelf.

Here's the neck. Overall looks ok.

This reminds me of some kind of horror movie... the disembodied spine hanging down... what am I thinking of? Robocop or Wolf Creek or something?

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
One of the predator flicks?

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Dewgy posted:

...how the hell do you tune this thing???

Very carefully

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
This thread shouldn't die.

I really want a Mosrite but I've spent too much money on guitar poo poo lately. I'm trying hard not to buy one of these on impulse, talk me out of it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aria-Diamon...=item4d2d783f95

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
This is easily the worst guitar in this whole thread, holy poo poo

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Apparently Fender's selling direct now.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-fi-ct-namm-fender-20150120-story.html#page=2

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
how about something stupid AND cool - teenage engineering's game & watch synthesizers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssT4YVTNAQ4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52D46jk4t54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8DYAChg9AM

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Guitar prices are outrageous. I hate to bring them down this way but anything that puts a real Telecaster and a new JEM77PBFP in my hands sooner (cheaper) is ok by me.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dr. Faustus posted:

Guitar prices are outrageous. I hate to bring them down this way but anything that puts a real Telecaster and a new JEM77PBFP in my hands sooner (cheaper) is ok by me.

They're selling at the same price as MF/Sweetwater/etc., so the move probably won't lower prices. I'd say it sucks that they'll hurt local dealers but how many of them are left that do enough business to meet Fender's minimum stock requirement.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

comes along bort posted:

They're selling at the same price as MF/Sweetwater/etc., so the move probably won't lower prices. I'd say it sucks that they'll hurt local dealers but how many of them are left that do enough business to meet Fender's minimum stock requirement.
If they're not offering better prices then gently caress them. I'll build my own Tele from parts and it will play better than any $1k+ Fender anyway.*

Sorry, I guess I was being optimistic.

*Disclaimer: This statement is based on my own preferences in fretwire, fretboard radius, and other specifications that I prefer. This is not an indictment of the instruments as they are or people who like Fender's necks. It is, however, a valid comment on the insane state of guitar prices from the big manufacturers today. You rarely if ever get the kind of quality that, say, $3k should pay for, and that is pretty much true of all of them. Sorry, didn't mean to start anything.

Several edits to try to not step on toes.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 14, 2015

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
It is okay to dislike elements of teles (or the whole stupid guitar) Faustus. I get so angry at mine sometimes I have almost thrown it out a window.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
you're right about it being cheaper to piece something together comparable to an mia instrument but how many people are inclined to do that relative to the overall market for fenders?

incidentally for a good while before they started selling entire guitars they sold parts including necks and bodies direct

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I have a sickness that involves preferring an HB in the bridge of a Tele.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Clitch posted:

I have a sickness that involves preferring an HB in the bridge of a Tele.

If that's a sickness, I hope we never get well

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

quote:

"It's hard to not call it a bit of a betrayal," said Gabriel O'Brien, sales manager at Larry's Music Center in Wooster, Ohio, which dropped Fender as a supplier a year ago, partly because it anticipated Fender would start selling its guitar lines through its site. "I feel it undercuts dealers whose backs these brands were built on."

sorry your idiot middleman business is becoming increasingly obsolete. fender's not even undercutting you on price and you've still got the distinct advantage of the customer picking a specific guitar but sure this is the dagger that'll do it.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I dunno about the rest of you guys but my general inclination when it comes to buying things (pretty much anything) is if you buy direct from the manufacturer, you're a sucker.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Schpyder posted:

I dunno about the rest of you guys but my general inclination when it comes to buying things (pretty much anything) is if you buy direct from the manufacturer, you're a sucker.

EDIT: Wait, I just realized, this (my) post is stupid because I didn't buy either guitar direct from the manufacturer. I ordered them from an online (only) retailer. My bad. Here it is anyway.

Maybe, but try to remember that Big Box Electronics Stores are where we go to demo stuff before we go home and order the thing we liked, online. This is not new to music stores.
That said, I will willingly admit (again) that my last two online guitar orders were not guitars I would have bought if I'd had a chance to demo them first. But, in both cases, I either spent a little cash (on the cheap budget guitar I knew would need help and would have sent back if it was too bad) on a luthier or, in the case of my JEM7VSFG, I discovered the problem and didn't act very fast, but since it was very expensive I asked Hoshino USA to pick up the bill and they totally did. They sent me back a perfect guitar with a week turnaround (after I'd already gutted the electronics) for just the $30 cost of shipping it back to them and that was three months out of warranty.

Shopping for guitars, even new ones, online can work out if you have reasonable expectations. In these cases, I already knew going in that the Indonesian Ibanezes had QC issues. I was just a little lazier than I should have been.

It's no different than the guy I know who bought three $3k Gibson Les Paul reissues and sent each one back because each one had the exact same problem with the neck being set at the wrong angle. He didn't buy direct. He worked for Guitar Center.

unlawfulsoup posted:

It is okay to dislike elements of teles (or the whole stupid guitar) Faustus. I get so angry at mine sometimes I have almost thrown it out a window.
Thanks, sincerely. I just am trying my best not to piss people off.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 15, 2015

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

shiksa posted:

sorry your idiot middleman business is becoming increasingly obsolete. fender's not even undercutting you on price and you've still got the distinct advantage of the customer picking a specific guitar but sure this is the dagger that'll do it.

the irony is if he can afford fender's buy-in he's not exactly small-time, and will probably benefit heavily once guitar center goes tits up

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Dr. Faustus posted:

Thanks, sincerely. I just am trying my best not to piss people off.

yeah please dont offend anyone with your guitar focused autism, just keep writing really long posts about nothing

Aoi-chan
Jul 28, 2003

I have these on order, they look very cool indeed.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
I want to get some stuff that requires an iLok (for I have money and some of the stuff is really neat and I may need it for work, like Ivory and QL RA) but I've heard TERRIBLE things about these dongles and it's put me on the fence. Anyone used them and how lovely are they really? The most helpful reviews on amazon are unanimously bad.

e: sorry if this isn't the right thread or anything but it does say "stupid music poo poo"

Noyemi K fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Feb 15, 2015

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Noyemi K posted:

I want to get some stuff that requires an iLok (for I have money and some of the stuff is really neat and I may need it for work, like Ivory and QL RA) but I've heard TERRIBLE things about these dongles and it's put me on the fence. Anyone used them and how lovely are they really? The most helpful reviews on amazon are unanimously bad.

e: sorry if this isn't the right thread or anything but it does say "stupid music poo poo"

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

comes along bort posted:

you're right about it being cheaper to piece something together comparable to an mia instrument but how many people are inclined to do that relative to the overall market for fenders?

incidentally for a good while before they started selling entire guitars they sold parts including necks and bodies direct

There's a big enough chunk of people willing to do that for Warmoth to have a successful business. By no means does that chunk come anywhere close to the numbers who'd rather just ay extra and have a guitar ready to go but there's a surprisingly large amount of home builds going on.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

:confused:

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

There's a big enough chunk of people willing to do that for Warmoth to have a successful business. By no means does that chunk come anywhere close to the numbers who'd rather just ay extra and have a guitar ready to go but there's a surprisingly large amount of home builds going on.

There's probably more garbage collectors and tinkerers than people learning to play well. It's some weird music groupie thing where they want to feel like part of the guitar community but not have any substantial talent. When i was putting together my college band I had three different guys show up with home made monstrosities and barely any playing skill. One of them looked exactly like Steve Buscemi so he got to hang around for a while until he cut his hair into a mullet

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

http://www.thayerdemay.com/musical-instruments/custom-made-steampunk-acoustic-guitar.php

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

ZombieParts posted:

There's probably more garbage collectors and tinkerers than people learning to play well. It's some weird music groupie thing where they want to feel like part of the guitar community but not have any substantial talent. When i was putting together my college band I had three different guys show up with home made monstrosities and barely any playing skill. One of them looked exactly like Steve Buscemi so he got to hang around for a while until he cut his hair into a mullet

Did he have Buscemi bug eyes? Speaking of terrible home made jobs, WDE kindly sent a brass nut witht he correct dimensions to go on my FRM a few weeks ago. I'm spending today super carefully trying to remove the old graphite nut and replace it with some brass goodness. Wish me luck in not wrecking my guitar goons!

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

I rescued this guitar so I could totally ruin it.

I hate steampunk people SO much.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY
jesus christ univox made some ugly rear end amps (i have this rig, but with two of the 1205 cabs)

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.

I wonder how heavy, unbalanced and annoying this monstrosity would be to play.

Ugh why does this make me angry?

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

This guitar was covered with bumper stickers, which RUINED THE TONE so I covered it with even heavier objects that would restrict the vibration even more than the vinyl and turned it into a MOTHER loving TONE MACHINE.

I want to hit this dude in the scrotum with a steampunk approved kitchen colander.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
steampunk would be okay if it meant adding functional but antiquated things to poo poo instead of just putting brass scraps all over things

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
You could catch tetanus trying to palm mute on that thing.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Did he have Buscemi bug eyes? Speaking of terrible home made jobs, WDE kindly sent a brass nut witht he correct dimensions to go on my FRM a few weeks ago. I'm spending today super carefully trying to remove the old graphite nut and replace it with some brass goodness. Wish me luck in not wrecking my guitar goons!

He was the spitting image of Steve Buscemi in every way. It was pre-Reservoir Dogs so I was the only one who really knew who Buscemi was. He was a trip because he could never remember a whole song so when we got to the part where he forgot the lyrics he'd just do high-pitched 80s screams and repeat previous lyrics in a different way. He was completely non-offensive so we didn't really give him poo poo until he cut his hair all lovely. We had a bass player that looked like James Spader too. Fairly bug eyed bunch of guys really.

So the other night I did a show and it seems like the electronics in my Chinacaster are done for. It sounded like a forest fire when I'd turn the volume pot and I've got the back off now and nothing is visually wrong so the pot is just shot. If I'm going to start replacing things I guess I'll just get a guitar that is more worthwhile to improve. That means I have to protect it a bit more. Has anyone tried a gibson gear case? I'm wondering if those things are airplane worthy.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

ZombieParts posted:

He was the spitting image of Steve Buscemi in every way. It was pre-Reservoir Dogs so I was the only one who really knew who Buscemi was. He was a trip because he could never remember a whole song so when we got to the part where he forgot the lyrics he'd just do high-pitched 80s screams and repeat previous lyrics in a different way.

I can picture it now......

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ZombieParts posted:

So the other night I did a show and it seems like the electronics in my Chinacaster are done for. It sounded like a forest fire when I'd turn the volume pot and I've got the back off now and nothing is visually wrong so the pot is just shot. If I'm going to start replacing things I guess I'll just get a guitar that is more worthwhile to improve

the pot's probably just dirty/got some oxidation, if you got some deoxit or whatever contact cleaner lying around shoot a little into it and turn the knob a few times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

comes along bort posted:

the pot's probably just dirty/got some oxidation, if you got some deoxit or whatever contact cleaner lying around shoot a little into it and turn the knob a few times

I'll try that and see what happens. I've been avoiding upgrades on it just to preserve the cheap as poo poo nature of the thing but if I start needing to replace parts I'll just redo the whole electronics. And that brings me to the "well, there's a couple of Epiphones for sale locally that have EMG81/85 combos inside and some good tuning pegs for probably $150 more. I've had the Chinacaster for over a year now so it's been holding up well. I haven't had to do anything to the neck truss which is surprising. Because of that I'm considering just putting a YJM loaded pickguard in and getting a set of pro tier tuners. Pretty much anything I do to it is going to be far beyond the price of the guitar new though. I guess I have no reason to suspect the neck or body would have some kind of catastrophic failure so I guess it's no different than upgrading any name brand guitar.

• Locked thread