Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

also what armor are you using

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Awesome! posted:

the first new one I have been able to make is nerscylla's. it's poison and the base damage is higher than the upgraded starter staff :)

which attacks seem to be killing you the most

Did you have to get to High Rank to be able to craft it?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

no i am still in low rank. it's actually really easy to craft material-wise

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what is the LR poison res set?

I have a green sharpness weapon and I bounce just about every attack on the shark dude when he is covered in ice. Where am I supposed to be hitting? So far I just go for the early mount and easy breaks at the start so I never have to deal with his ice form.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i think gypceros has poison res on it but i dont have the game open right now. i thought nerscylla would but it has sleep instead

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Is there any equivalent lookwise to the wroggi cowboy getup?

And holy moley expiditions/guild quests own.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Awesome! posted:

i think gypceros has poison res on it but i dont have the game open right now. i thought nerscylla would but it has sleep instead

I think the poison stat on that is actually negative, unless a negative value means "less" chance to get poisoned, or less damage from poison. Or I might be confusing it with another set from the vopcano area that starts with G.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Detective No. 27 posted:

Did you have to get to High Rank to be able to craft it?

You can make a Nerscylla and Gora Magala insect glaive in low rank, each slightly better than the last. They're pretty gated though, a ton of bug upgrades and glaives open up early in High rank.

The Gore Magala glaive is amazing btw. Pretty easy to make, but you need three tails to upgrade really early on.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Zore posted:

You can make a Nerscylla and Gora Magala insect glaive in low rank, each slightly better than the last. They're pretty gated though, a ton of bug upgrades and glaives open up early in High rank.

The Gore Magala glaive is amazing btw. Pretty easy to make, but you need three tails to upgrade really early on.

Magala glaive upgrades pretty much all throughout HR as well.

If you want different I.Glaives, do expeditions until you get a biased guild quest for them and just farm them out for relics. These are also one of the best and easiest sources for nectar, as it populates all of the areas with specific gathering points just for them.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I am considering getting this. I have a couple of friends who will probably be playing this. I played maybe 3 hours of MHFU once, and that's all of the experience I have with the series. I have a 2ds, are you guys talking about mh4 ultimate on the 3ds, or some wii game? Is it worth getting if I liked peace walker, souls games, but didn't like the vita soul sacrifice game (played the demo) ?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Zamtrios.....

:psyduck:

also I did not expect to land on Switch Axes to be my solo weapon of choice. I love these things!

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Okay I fought Khezu for the first time and it's basically Gigginox except less annoying but somehow more creepy.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Does anyone know how to do a jump attack off a wall while you are hanging on it? I keep trying to do a mount attack on Khezu (god bless his stupid rear end is still the same as ever) but cant seem to let go of the wall.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

scaterry posted:

Does anyone know how to do a jump attack off a wall while you are hanging on it? I keep trying to do a mount attack on Khezu (god bless his stupid rear end is still the same as ever) but cant seem to let go of the wall.

Press A without tilting the stick, your dude will just jump away from the wall.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Hey, I remember this series... :smugbert:

Waiting on my New 3DS... someone post up gameplay vids or LP or something!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

redreader posted:

I am considering getting this. I have a couple of friends who will probably be playing this. I played maybe 3 hours of MHFU once, and that's all of the experience I have with the series. I have a 2ds, are you guys talking about mh4 ultimate on the 3ds, or some wii game? Is it worth getting if I liked peace walker, souls games, but didn't like the vita soul sacrifice game (played the demo) ?

try the demo on the eshop

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
What's the 'Equipment Bia' means and the 'Armor Series' are etc? I assume it's how you get armor from previous games but damned if I know what 'Tri Series B' is.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Anyone got any tips for breaking Gores antenna? I need 2 of these drat feelers to upgrade my DB.

Well if worst comes to worst my group will probably beat him into submission once the two slackers catch up.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

redreader posted:

I'm a rabid enough Monhunter that I sunk 200 hours into Freedom 2, another 200 hours each after importing Freedom Unite and Portable 3rd and patching them, loved Peace Walker and the Souls games, and thought Soul Sacrifice (and Freedom Wars after a bit) were turds. So... try them demo, but prepare to buy the game anyways.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

MrFlibble posted:

Anyone got any tips for breaking Gores antenna? I need 2 of these drat feelers to upgrade my DB.

Well if worst comes to worst my group will probably beat him into submission once the two slackers catch up.

I got mine from captures.

You get a ton of free traps from the newbie pack right now. Breaking the antenna is just such a pain in the rear end.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I'm waiting for a Bombardier set so I can try the swordbomber build someone linked in the previous thread. If Alatreon has taught me anything, it's that if you want horns, you bomb the loving Christ out of them.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Zore posted:

I got mine from captures.

You get a ton of free traps from the newbie pack right now. Breaking the antenna is just such a pain in the rear end.

Yeah ive been capping him but I havent got one yet :( ah well.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

If carry quests got you down, grab yourself three steel eggs and make yourself some Loc Lac Gear to make those quests a breeze! Couple it with Felyne Lander and you've essentially won as soon as you've entered the quest.

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.

Awesome! posted:

Gypceros Armor has poison immunity, I'm wearing it now. Basarios Armor has it too.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

MrFlibble posted:

Basically, hold off on mounting or trapping him until he goes into super rage mode. Then go to town on his head once he's knocked down. I also find letting the Frenzy status build up on you makes him rage faster.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Neo_Crimson posted:

Okay I fought Khezu for the first time and it's basically Gigginox except less annoying but somehow more creepy.

Before gigginox, there was khezu.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

scaterry posted:

Does Khezu still show weakness by standing perfectly motionless for an extended period of time? Because that was hilarious.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Yes he does, and he still chain roars like a motherfucker too

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
Wish I didn't live in an area with such lovely internet. A promising foursome turned into an intimate teta-a-tete with a Tigrex.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Do you have to do all of the one star hunts to get HR2? This is my first monster hunter and I'm already tired of grab 10 shrooms, let me poke colossal farting apes.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

alarumklok posted:

Do you have to do all of the one star hunts to get HR2? This is my first monster hunter and I'm already tired of grab 10 shrooms, let me poke colossal farting apes.

Good news! You didn't have to do any of those. Just the Seltas, Kecha Wacha, Tetsucabra and Gypceros quests.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Good, gently caress those.

Relics are really cool. I found a lightning gunlance and switched over from gunner to use it and it's loving kickin' rad. I guess you can't craft them into new poo poo, just upgrade them with armor spheres? Still, a rare 3 with elemental damage when I'm just crafting lovely rare 2s is pretty handy.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

When do I get a another charge blade? I'm at the start of the second area and already upgraded the first one as much as I could.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is there a good babby's first gunner armor set I should be getting into out of the default clothes?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
The wiki lists which quests are required to progress for both village quests and guild quests.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Pierson posted:

What's the 'Equipment Bia' means and the 'Armor Series' are etc? I assume it's how you get armor from previous games but damned if I know what 'Tri Series B' is.

Affects the relics you find (and for I.glaive, generates nectar gathering points)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does 4 ease you into the game better than past entries? I've always felt like MH was a bit daunting which made it hard to get in to.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

NESguerilla posted:

Does 4 ease you into the game better than past entries? I've always felt like MH was a bit daunting which made it hard to get in to.

I have never played a Monster Hunter game before and I feel like I've been eased into it quite nicely, but that's just me.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Do they ever actually explain trapping in MH4U? I know how it goes but buggered if I've ever seen anyone mention it.

While I'm asking daft questions, do I just want to go on Expeditions to gather poo poo or just walk out the door or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yes they explain it at the beginning of the first capture quest

• Locked thread