Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 237 days!)

It isn't every day that you see Smokey gently caress The Bandit.

alt response: Except for the mustache. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

KozmoNaut posted:

She'll always be a favorite, and not just for her Top Gear interview :swoon:

Quoting for truth. Shes awesome. Check some of her cars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U761V_f1lk

Edit: Yea got ahead of myself.

Still shes hot and them some nice cars.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 13, 2015

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Preoptopus posted:

Quoting for truth. Shes awesome. Check out her garage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U761V_f1lk

The only car that's hers in that video is the 458

That's the Top Gear Live show garage

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Also don't close frameless window doors by the glass! :eek:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Does Amazon Prime initially "air" the TV censored episode and then revert to an uncensored one? I'm watching the St. Petersburg episode again and the fucks and cunts are flying but I'm sure I've heard bleeps on later episodes.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 237 days!)

Shrapnig posted:

Does Amazon Prime initially "air" the TV censored episode and then revert to an uncensored one? I'm watching the St. Petersburg episode again and the fucks and cunts are flying but I'm sure I've heard bleeps on later episodes.

I decided to relive the good eps before they're gone forever (not on a computer or DVD), and I've heard a ton of shits, cunts, et al - but still can't get over the Vietnam episode with the SSB in it rather than Brucey- It completely loses just how vile such an idea .

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Stephen Fry is the only good interview, but he's an international treasure.

The worst was the weird homeless musician.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Remember the Snooker player?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

twoot posted:

The movie-promotion American SIARPC are almost always terrible. At the best of times movie stars hate being interviewed, and when it comes to Top Gear it forces them to gently caress around in a lovely car

A normal interview for a star is probably an hour at most, with all sorts of breaks and do-overs. On Top Gear it's half a day and most of that is throwing a car around a track. Which I'm sure everyone knows is a hell of a lot of work. I'm amazed they get any big names at all who aren't car freaks.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Gorilla Salad posted:

A normal interview for a star is probably an hour at most, with all sorts of breaks and do-overs. On Top Gear it's half a day and most of that is throwing a car around a track. Which I'm sure everyone knows is a hell of a lot of work. I'm amazed they get any big names at all who aren't car freaks.

That sounds way better than a standard presser or a Leno appearance. A lot more work, yea, but way loving cooler.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

holocaust bloopers posted:

That sounds way better than a standard presser or a Leno appearance. A lot more work, yea, but way loving cooler.

Seriously. It's an easy sell for most stars.

Also, the whole "Americans can't drive manual" is more "Americans can't drive a manual with their left hand". There's just as many Brits who have never driven a car before, period.

All that said, SIARPC is hit or miss. For instance, I hated the one with will.i.am, but for every boring or awful one like that, there's another that's hilarious or at least interesting.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

holocaust bloopers posted:

A Leno appearance would be great, for a chance to visit his garage and ride a couple of his bikes and drive a couple of his cars. A few minutes on the turbine bike would be enough to get me there.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Seriously. It's an easy sell for most stars.

Also, the whole "Americans can't drive manual" is more "Americans can't drive a manual with their left hand". There's just as many Brits who have never driven a car before, period.

All that said, SIARPC is hit or miss. For instance, I hated the one with will.i.am, but for every boring or awful one like that, there's another that's hilarious or at least interesting.

Man, if you can't laugh at the Brian Johnson or Rowan Atkinson or Leno interviews as much as at any other segment in the show, I don't even know what to tell you.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Man, if you can't laugh at the Brian Johnson or Rowan Atkinson or Leno interviews as much as at any other segment in the show, I don't even know what to tell you.

Like I said. For every bad one there's a great one. The Rowan Atkinson being particularly great.

"Bob."

And I love how they bring Brian Johnson back in random episodes.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Brian Johnson is like the cool uncle everyone wishes they had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZcgCiS1M3s

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Feb 14, 2015

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Flint Ironstag posted:

A Leno appearance would be great, for a chance to visit his garage and ride a couple of his bikes and drive a couple of his cars. A few minutes on the turbine bike would be enough to get me there.
They had a bit about the Honda Clarity hydrogen car in LA which had Leno and his garage in it. No driving of any of his collection though.

Tsuru fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Feb 14, 2015

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Hogwash. Anyone who has comfortably driven a stick before can do so with the other hand.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yes, but not nearly as well as with the usual hand.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

angryhampster posted:

Hogwash. Anyone who has comfortably driven a stick before can do so with the other hand.

I learned to drive on a manual, and have continued driving manuals for years, but the concept of trying to do it all with my non-dominant hand is too weird. I mean it could obviously be done, but it would be so jumpy and awkward.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Ten years ago I went on holiday in a country that drives on the wrong side, hopped in a hired 4x4 and drove both on and off road all day, no issues. It's real easy imo.

After I'd taken 2 seconds to verify the pedals weren't mirrored or something stupid :haw:

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

I learned to drive on a manual, and have continued driving manuals for years, but the concept of trying to do it all with my non-dominant hand is too weird. I mean it could obviously be done, but it would be so jumpy and awkward.

I did it in Australia without issue a few years ago. It comes naturally.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

angryhampster posted:

I did it in Australia without issue a few years ago. It comes naturally.

Yep after 5 minutes it wasn't noticeable to me (going from RHD to LHD).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

dissss posted:

Yep after 5 minutes it wasn't noticeable to me (going from RHD to LHD).

I'm guessing it's probably a bigger adjustment going the other way round, because most people's dominant hand is their right hand. It still shouldn't be a huge deal, though.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
I went from driving my mates tiny RHD Rover 25 to an equally poo poo but massive LHD Renault Master while in Spain with no problems, it's not like the gearbox is backwards it's just on the other side?

Did forget to take the handbrake off once because it wasn't in the right place though.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

I went from driving my mates tiny RHD Rover 25 to an equally poo poo but massive LHD Renault Master while in Spain with no problems, it's not like the gearbox is backwards it's just on the other side?

Did forget to take the handbrake off once because it wasn't in the right place though.

I've never driven a RHD manual, but to me it would actually make a bit more sense if the gearbox were mirrored, so that first is always "towards you and forward" instead of "left and forward," but that's just me. I'm sure I could get used to it either way.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
To be honest, the only problem is knocking your elbow on the doorcard every so often when muscle memory takes over.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

InitialDave posted:

To be honest, the only problem is knocking your elbow on the doorcard every so often when muscle memory takes over.

My Dad said shifting a RHD was fine, but goddamn did he ever turn the windshield wipers on by accident a lot (the gearbox is not mirrored, but the location of the turn signal sure is!).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

PT6A posted:

My Dad said shifting a RHD was fine, but goddamn did he ever turn the windshield wipers on by accident a lot (the gearbox is not mirrored, but the location of the turn signal sure is!).
That's a make/model thing, not a LHD/RHD thing. I have cars with both ways of arranging them.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

PT6A posted:

Actually this depends on the car - in my RHD market it's about 60-40 which side the stalk will be on (Japan/Korea being on one side, Euro models being on the other)

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah when I drove a rhd car I kept turning on the wipers. It had a sequential box so I don't know how I'd do with the regular shift pattern, although being left handed should help.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The signal really varies which side it's on in Europe? Every car I've driven in the US has had the signal stalk be on the left side.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

The signal really varies which side it's on in Europe? Every car I've driven in the US has had the signal stalk be on the left side.

Not on LHD cars but it does on RHD models.

The difference is the Japanese move the stalks to the correct side on their LHD models, whereas Euro manufacturers are too lazy to bother and leave them around the LHD way even on RHD cars.

The complicate things some 'Japanese' cars like the Euro Civic hatch are actually made in the UK so the RHD models have their stalks around the LHD (wrong) way

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010

dissss posted:

Not on LHD cars but it does on RHD models.

The difference is the Japanese move the stalks to the correct side on their LHD models, whereas Euro manufacturers are too lazy to bother and leave them around the LHD way even on RHD cars.

The complicate things some 'Japanese' cars like the Euro Civic hatch are actually made in the UK so the RHD models have their stalks around the LHD (wrong) way

This, in aus my WRX has them on the right, but my dad's VW has them on the left both cars being RHD.

I've driven plent of LHD cars in europe and Africa, the gears is easy to get used to, indicators not so much.

The biggest for me is the spacial awareness, for the first hr of driving I'm usually in the middle of the road as you are used to placing the opposite side of the car to the driver to the curb (ie keep as far left on a RHD).

Then you're wired to try and keep left on a left hand drive and end up driving on the cats eyes.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

dissss posted:

Dunno if it's still the case, but the first diesel Subaru Legacy's that made it here were Euro spec, so had indicators on the left, unlike every other Legacy in the country.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Ecstatic posted:

I've driven plent of LHD cars in europe and Africa, the gears is easy to get used to, indicators not so much.

Somebody aggressively cuts you up and you find yourself washing your windscreen at them.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Overall that was a pretty great episode. The long boring drag up the dam was made worth it by seeing hammond being legitimately terrified and swearing.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I laughed pretty hard at this week's SIARPC segment. Will Smith was actually genuinely funny :v:

Also, anyone else notice the Lap Time board after they sent the new AMG around?

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 16, 2015

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Really liked that Land Rover segment. :britain:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Hearing Clarkson say the words to Gettin Jiggy Wit It was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

A very solid episode in a series that is so far one of the best in recent memory.