Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Outbreak monsters DO NOT gently caress around

This congalala moves around about as fast as FU G rank ones :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?

Nahxela posted:

Are you going to make basarios' set??

I honestly haven't looked at what monsters have come back yet. I played the demo on a friend's ds and then I met two other people who just bought it so I had no choice.

So yes, gonna make the hell out of the Basarios set. Poor little guy.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I asked in IRC but forgot already: For the two-star 'Egg-straction: Herbivores' in sunken, where am I looking for Herbivore Eggs agin?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Area 8. A bunch of Rhenoplos will be guarding it.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
i hate rhenoplos

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

megalodong posted:

Fairly certain those rolling bugs also drop fluid, and you can't crush them like the bnahabras etc.

Might be worth noting that you can get it from Seltas too, I got quite a few of them while I was farming for the kickass drill hammer.

Pierson posted:

i hate rhenoplos

Welcome to Monster Hunt-*gored by Bullfango*

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, seconding Seltas for fluids. I got a bunch when I kept running into them on expeditions.

Also jfc Najarala are awesome

Edit: vvvv you can get them from online people

alarumklok fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 16, 2015

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

do guild cards only come from streetpasses or can i get them from people in online rooms somehow

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Awesome! posted:

do guild cards only come from streetpasses or can i get them from people in online rooms somehow
The start menu has a guild card option, and in that submenu, a send button. They have to send you theirs, and you have to send them yours.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Holy god drat is the hunting horn fun. I've only played a bit of 3U before this and ignored it after reading some comments from people and assuming it was more of a team buffing weapon only.

Carving giant monster parts into instruments is my new favourite thing, I love the fact that's it's kind of like a hammer with some nice high reaching hits and other cool moves, and it's just so satisfying to bash on a monster's face and make yourself faster and stronger at the same time.

I can't wait to see what other ridiculous looking horns I'll get to make further down the line!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I know I said earlier I like HBG, but now having tried LBG I'm not so sure which I like more. Any thoughts?

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

I just cleared Harth's tetsucabra problem. Should I have a second felyne by now? I haven't noticed any on the expeditions I've gone on nor have I seen any elsewhere.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

You get your second cat in the town after Harth.

Torix
Nov 9, 2005

Oh wow, I jumped into this game without really looking into what they've added, and come to find there's an awesome new insect glaive that's poised to quickly become my new favorite weapon. Kill dinosaurs while jumping around like a maniac? Hell yeah.

Wishing a New 3DS XL would magically teleport into my hands for this game, but I can't justify to myself buying a second version of a system I already own.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Lemming posted:

Why can't I get any stupid Gypceros heads god dammit

Tatum Girlparts posted:

This but goddamn frills, come on Jaggi give up your frill.

Look at you scrubs, haven't even farmed for Gore Magala Feelers. :shepicide:

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?

Ciaphas posted:

I know I said earlier I like HBG, but now having tried LBG I'm not so sure which I like more. Any thoughts?

I use each for different things. HBG is for dealing damage. Load up and tear poo poo up. I think the fight I used HBG most for was Black Gravios followed by Black Diablos and Plesioth.

I use LBG for support in a group. It's great for status effects or fights where you need a lot of mobility.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Embrace all bowguns. Gunning is love. Gunning is life.

Really I keep a good assortment of both to cover elemental/status shot needs, although the Power Stinger HBG is doing me pretty well for status right now. Khezu Head Syringe is my default LBG on the flip side right now, but I also just took down Gore Magala for the first time so I'm not super far in yet.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Jumping is kind of lame. I'm spending more time waiting around or baiting monsters to get into good positions to jump because the damage/breaking + guaranteed stun afterwards seems too good to not do it. Also waiting around on tree/webtops trying to figure out how/when a monster can attack up through the underside and when I can counterattack. At least only some of the monsters could swim, but everything (so far I've found) can be jumped on.

On the positive side Najarala and Zamtrios are cool additions, seeing the sharkblob in action was unexpected despite reading a comment on here about it before hand. And the wi-fi works great. Being able to hunt with people while using voice chat is almost as good as gathering in person. Except we can do it from halfway around the world and don't need to get dressed.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Bussamove posted:

Embrace all bowguns. Gunning is love. Gunning is life.

Really I keep a good assortment of both to cover elemental/status shot needs, although the Power Stinger HBG is doing me pretty well for status right now. Khezu Head Syringe is my default LBG on the flip side right now, but I also just took down Gore Magala for the first time so I'm not super far in yet.

You're further than I am, I've only just taken down the Tetsucabra and still have the default bowguns. :shepicide:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I feel like a whole new generation is being introduced to the Desire Sensor, Plates and Gems and it makes me smile.

A Retardet Horse
Dec 25, 2009

what is
going
on?
what is
this?
ahhhh...
I played Monster Hunter Tri back when it came out when I had no job and was in the process of breaking up with my girlfriend. Now I have a full time job and a wife, let's see which one gets me in trouble first with MH4!

Is the gunlance a noob weapon for noobs? I'm finding I kind of like it, but all I've done is barely scratch the surface of single player so far.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I gotta wonder how the dosh I'm spending on Normal S 2 compares to a melee-goers whetstone supply, seems like I never have enough money.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

A Retardet Horse posted:

I played Monster Hunter Tri back when it came out when I had no job and was in the process of breaking up with my girlfriend. Now I have a full time job and a wife, let's see which one gets me in trouble first with MH4!

Is the gunlance a noob weapon for noobs? I'm finding I kind of like it, but all I've done is barely scratch the surface of single player so far.

Gunlance owns. Embrace it. (just not the end that is pointy and will shoot you)

Rarden
May 20, 2012
Whoever it was that said plates aren't a thing in LR, my four Gore plates and one Los plate say otherwise. I'm pretty sure they've always been a thing, at least as far back as FU.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

A Retardet Horse posted:

The Gunlance is very fun and very 'safe' with the amazing block, and slamming shotgun blasts into a monster with every stab is very satisfying. I played it for most of Portable 3rd and kinda came to rely on it. It's definitely less exciting than other weapons so fight the urge to just use it all the time exclusively even if other weapons mean you get pushed around a bit more.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Neo_Crimson posted:

Look at you scrubs, haven't even farmed for Gore Magala Feelers. :shepicide:

I've already gotten a few feelers from ~3 fights with Gorey Malorey, but 0 heads after breaking 10+ heads on the stupid Gypceros idiot.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Update on why HBG can be pretty cool.

When to use crouching fire with pellet shots:
  1. When Gypceros plays dead.
  2. When Gypceros flees and goes to sleep.
  3. When Gypceros tries to play dead again after being woken up with perforation.

Basically 80 consecutive shotgun hits for free. :black101:

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

Wait you can get Gypceros heads? And I thought the desire sensor had given me a break with all those Gore plates...

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how did my mh edition n3ds know it could redownload the game from the eshop after I transferred my data in from the old 3ds? I never logged in on the n3ds and I never had the game on the old 3ds.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Is there a good babby's first gunner armor set I should be getting into out of the default clothes?

I built the Lagombi set first, it's good for HBG since it's an easy source of evade distance+.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ciaphas posted:

I gotta wonder how the dosh I'm spending on Normal S 2 compares to a melee-goers whetstone supply, seems like I never have enough money.

you shouldnt need to be buying ammo at least in LR and you are probably saving just as much on the potions you arent using.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Fauxtool posted:

how did my mh edition n3ds know it could redownload the game from the eshop after I transferred my data in from the old 3ds? I never logged in on the n3ds and I never had the game on the old 3ds.

Transfer merges the licenses onto the target device.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

you shouldnt need to be buying ammo at least in LR and you are probably saving just as much on the potions you arent using.

Eh? I'm going through 90+ Normal S 2 per mission, did I miss something?

(Granted Normal 2 is cheap as dirt but still)

Also just making sure, the Gathering Hall is multiplayer-only, right? No single-player difficulty quests in here?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So that was a hell of an expedition.

"Oh, Velocidrome and rare items? Sure, I'll do that."

Then Kecha Wacha shows up while I'm fighting Velocidrome. No problem, I've been pounding on 'drome for a while, I'll kill him then take on Kecha.

I finish up Drome and start on Kecha.

Then Yian Kut-Ku shows up in the middle of the fight.

This was all in the first zone.

I take out all three, fight another Velocidrome, and get two Rusted Shards and two Rusted Weapons.

That was nuts.

I love this game.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ciaphas posted:

Eh? I'm going through 90+ Normal S 2 per mission, did I miss something?

(Granted Normal 2 is cheap as dirt but still)

Also just making sure, the Gathering Hall is multiplayer-only, right? No single-player difficulty quests in here?

make sure you grab the free ammo at the chest, rapid fire, be in the optimal range. Could be any of those things. Unless you are building every weapon and armor that unlocks you really shouldnt be too strapped for cash. Try selling some monster parts you know you wont need, like one you made all the armor of.

I highly recommend the irc room. You get instant answers to all the smaller questions and tons of really good advice

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

make sure you grab the free ammo at the chest, rapid fire, be in the optimal range. Could be any of those things. Unless you are building every weapon and armor that unlocks you really shouldnt be too strapped for cash. Try selling some monster parts you know you wont need, like one you made all the armor of.

I highly recommend the irc room. You get instant answers to all the smaller questions and tons of really good advice

I have the default armor and the default HBG, which sieges Normal 1. I gather that's a bit poo poo so I haven't been using it. I guess the default LBG (which I'm also still on) rapid fires Slicing, not sure I'd want to use that on the regular. :v:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I did a double Gypceros quest and carved a Lightcrystal off one. Only to have it immediately stolen by the other after it tried to flash bomb me 3 times in a row.

Gypceros is the new (old) Qurupeco as the King of Annoying poo poo. :argh:

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Starting to play the demo now. Will everything carry over to the main game? is there some bonus for playing the demo? is the demo just the first few monsters or something?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Nothing from the demo carries into the game. It's 3 monsters, Great Jaggi, Tetsucabra and Gore Magala with pre-set weapon and armour sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Why does my character keep spiking tranq bombs at their feet instead of throwing them?

redreader posted:

Starting to play the demo now. Will everything carry over to the main game? is there some bonus for playing the demo? is the demo just the first few monsters or something?

There's no progression in the demo so there's nothing to carry over.

• Locked thread