Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
When you guys make chicken stock do you hang onto the fat that congeals at the top? Storage: Keep it like bacon grease? Uses: Just use it in anything that needs a chickeny boost of flavor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

If its anything like the stuff I've had you just add water and shape into a tortilla.

Anyone know of a way to create a nice savory gelatin in limited time? I thought about buying a gelatin pack and some chicken broth but dunno how effective that will be. I am making shenjianbao tonight and the gelatin is how you get the soup to render inside. :P

Pressure cooker and bones.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Anyone have that goon slowcooker pulled pork recipe handy? The thread appears to be archived and I'm not sure how to find it again.

I usually save this stuff to a recipe file in OneNote, but apparently neglected to this time.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

teethgrinder posted:

Anyone have that goon slowcooker pulled pork recipe handy? The thread appears to be archived and I'm not sure how to find it again.

I usually save this stuff to a recipe file in OneNote, but apparently neglected to this time.

This one?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

GreyPowerVan posted:

Anyone have a good fudge brownie recipe? I lost mine to the abyss on a broken computer a while back.

I've done this a few times, and while I've had the best success in a cast iron, it's never not turned out amazing: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2010/01/best-cocoa-brownies/

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I usually just buy cheap pasta, what brands should I be looking at for good pasta? Specifically going to do Orzo.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Hed posted:

When you guys make chicken stock do you hang onto the fat that congeals at the top? Storage: Keep it like bacon grease? Uses: Just use it in anything that needs a chickeny boost of flavor?

I just keep it as part of my stock, honestly.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Speaking of bacon grease, I've been saving mine in an empty ghee jar in the fridge, and after this morning's breakfast, it is completely full on solid bacon gold.

What should I do with this stuff?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

EVG posted:

Speaking of bacon grease, I've been saving mine in an empty ghee jar in the fridge, and after this morning's breakfast, it is completely full on solid bacon gold.

Replace every oil or fat you cook with with bacon fat.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Hed posted:

It depends, but yes, I often skim it off and save it like I would bacon fat. I was trying a lot of variations on ivan orkin's shio ramen for a while, so I started skimming & saving or rendering chicken fat wherever I could for that and now it's become something I just keep a jar of on hand.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

ah wiki. Thank you so much.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

EVG posted:

Buy this cookbook, die happy.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I couldn't find masa harina and thought it was because of no direct translation to French, so I ended up buying corn flour. Then I found out it's not the same thing. :argh:

Anyway, can I still make tortillas with this stuff or am I stuck with some hippie flour substitute I won't ever use?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Can I reverse sear bone in prime rib or should I try a different cut?

And is a butane torch fine to use or will that make it taste weird?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

goodness posted:

Can I reverse sear bone in prime rib or should I try a different cut?

And is a butane torch fine to use or will that make it taste weird?

A butane torch won't be hot enough.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Chemmy posted:

A butane torch won't be hot enough.

drat. Well I have 2 1lb-bone in rib eyes and no grill. I have an oven and one of those flat irons? you put on the burners. What are my options?

Thinking of making some asparagus and a creme brûlée to go with it.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

What's the flat iron look like? That's probably your best bet.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

goodness posted:

drat. Well I have 2 1lb-bone in rib eyes and no grill. I have an oven and one of those flat irons? you put on the burners. What are my options?

Thinking of making some asparagus and a creme brûlée to go with it.

Do you have a cast iron pan? If not, go buy one and use it.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Chemmy posted:

What's the flat iron look like? That's probably your best bet.

If I can grab a cheap cast iron at Walmart would that be worth it? Don't want to drop too much on one since I was going to try and find a decent one in the next couple weeks.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Walmart should sell Lodge cast iron which is as good as anything.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

goodness posted:

If I can grab a cheap cast iron at Walmart would that be worth it? Don't want to drop too much on one since I was going to try and find a decent one in the next couple weeks.

You could probably get the job done with that thing in the picture but a) it looks thin enough to heat unevenly which is going to be a pain in the rear end and b) the walls on it are shallow enough I think I'd get rendered fat + butter all over my stovetop trying to baste the steaks.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

goodness posted:

Cheap cast iron is fine. It just needs to be able to hold and transfer a lot of heat and almost any cast iron pan will do that. Bad things are stuff like nonstick or aluminum because they are too thin and either won't hold enough heat or in the case of nonstick should not be brought up to high temperatures. Good ones are cast iron or good quality clad pans like All-Clad.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Is that thing non-stick? If it's NOT non-stick it'd probably be ok.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

I have no idea. I'll just got get a cast iron at Walmart since I need one anyway. I'll look for the Lodge brand, any her specifications I should make sure of?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

goodness posted:

I have no idea. I'll just got get a cast iron at Walmart since I need one anyway. I'll look for the Lodge brand, any her specifications I should make sure of?

Just get one around 10"-12" across, I recommend 12" if your stove can handle it. And not one of the ones with the little grill mark things on the bottom, those are for adding grill marks for presentation reasons, they do a horrible job of actual cooking.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

goodness posted:

Just get this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lodge-Logic-12-Cast-Iron-Skillet/5969633

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

They were out of the 12 but I grabbed a 10.5! Thanks for the recommendation!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

I have never used a cast iron before. What do I need to do to cook these steaks medium-rare and not gently caress it up!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

goodness posted:

I have never used a cast iron before. What do I need to do to cook these steaks medium-rare and not gently caress it up!

Cast iron retains heat well, but sucks the big one with heat distribution. Let your pans get evenly hot - easiest way is to preheat an oven with them inside it up to about 450F and then take them out, put them on a high flame on the stovetop, and then sear your steaks dry about 2.5 to 3 minutes a side (and edge a little bit) before placing the pan (with the steaks on) back into the oven for another 4-5 minutes.

Another way is to put the steaks on oil in the pan and put them in an oven at about 225F to 250F until your steaks' insides get to be about 125F (or 130F), then set the meat aside for a few seconds while you put the pans on a stovetop to heat up over medium high heat and then spend 45 seconds to 1.5 minutes a side searing and getting a crust (use an oil or spoon butter over them).

Another way is to get your pans hot at medium high with a stovetop and add some oil and then flip your steaks every 20 to 30 seconds for the next five to seven minutes while they cook and form a crust.

I do the last way and the second way a lot. I prefer the many-flipped steak version, but a reverse sear is really great, too.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 15, 2015

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Drifter posted:

Cast iron retains heat well, but sucks the big one with heat distribution. Let your pans get evenly hot - easiest way is to preheat an oven with them inside it up to about 450F and then take them out, put them on a high flame on the stovetop, and then sear your steaks dry about 2.5 to 3 minutes a side (and edge a little bit) before placing the pan (with the steaks on) back into the oven for another 4-5 minutes.

Another way is to put the steaks on oil in the pan and put them in an oven at about 225F to 250F until your steaks' insides get to be about 125F (or 130F), then set the meat aside for a few seconds while you put the pans on a stovetop to heat up over medium high heat and then spend 45 seconds to 1.5 minutes a side searing and getting a crust (use an oil or spoon butter over them).

Another way is to get your pans hot at medium high with a stovetop and add some oil and then flip your steaks every 20 to 30 seconds for the next five to seven minutes while they cook and form a crust.

I do the last way and the second way a lot. I prefer the many-flipped steak version, but a reverse sear is really great, too.

The first 2 sound way more complicated than all that's really needed. The uneven-ness of cast iron's heating doesn't matter in a steak type situation because you want that pan hot as hell and since it's not Teflon, you can just leave it on a burner for a few minutes at full blast.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

goodness posted:

I like the last method Drifter mentioned. Salt and pepper the steak liberally, preferably an hour or so ahead of time to let the salt get into the steak. Get a good bit of vegetable oil heated to just the point where it starts to smoke, about medium high for my range, and then add the steak and flip every 15-30 seconds using tongs until there is some light crust on the steak. Next add a good chunk of butter, maybe half a stick or so plus any herbs or aromatics to the pan and baste the steak with the butter while still flipping it until it's done to where you want it. Let it rest for at least 5 minutes before digging in.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I like the last method Drifter mentioned. Salt and pepper the steak liberally, preferably an hour or so ahead of time to let the salt get into the steak. Get a good bit of vegetable oil heated to just the point where it starts to smoke, about medium high for my range, and then add the steak and flip every 15-30 seconds using tongs until there is some light crust on the steak. Next add a good chunk of butter, maybe half a stick or so plus any herbs or aromatics to the pan and baste the steak with the butter while still flipping it until it's done to where you want it. Let it rest for at least 5 minutes before digging in.

Yeah the last way seems doable for my level of skill. Forgot to salt the steaks a couple hours ago so they are waiting in the fridge now!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Adult Sword Owner posted:

The first 2 sound way more complicated than all that's really needed. The uneven-ness of cast iron's heating doesn't matter in a steak type situation because you want that pan hot as hell and since it's not Teflon, you can just leave it on a burner for a few minutes at full blast.

Since he'd never used cast iron pans before, I just figured I'd sneak in a bit of really important general advice for cooking with them. :shrug:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Cut an apple or two in half. Coat an oven safe container (whatever you have) with butter and sugar. Put the apples with the cut side down in the container. Bake at 180°C/360F for 40 Minutes. Dust with sugar and cinnamon and serve with fruit preserves.

I did this and it came out Really Well even if it's pretty basic. Threw in some vanilla ice cream and it was a great ending

Drifter posted:

Since he'd never used cast iron pans before, I just figured I'd sneak in a bit of really important general advice for cooking with them. :shrug:

Fair enough! I think one of the thing cast iron newbies don't realize is how great it is to use a pan stovetop and then throw the whole drat thing into the oven.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

The cast iron method was a success! I cooked it maybe 1-1.5m too long but it was great! Thanks for the help and I can't wait to really try this thing out.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
My local pizza place guy hooked me up with a fuckoff huge chunk of stone to cook pizzas on at home. This thing has been sitting around his shop for god knows how long and is pretty dirty. How should I go about cleaning it?

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Kind of a broad question, but I've been getting into cooking more and more over the past few months. Moved away basically for the first time, didn't want to perpetually blow money on takeout and restaurants, and started cooking simple stuff. Started out just googling whatever sounded good (different stir fries, homemade Mac and cheese, easy stuff like enchilada casseroles).

I'm still a big fan of my slow cooker and relatively easy stuff but now I'm on the lookout for good recipe sources/blogs. I love chicken, don't know as much about cooking beef and am still looking for more beginner-friendly type stuff!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

redcheval posted:

Kind of a broad question, but I've been getting into cooking more and more over the past few months. Moved away basically for the first time, didn't want to perpetually blow money on takeout and restaurants, and started cooking simple stuff. Started out just googling whatever sounded good (different stir fries, homemade Mac and cheese, easy stuff like enchilada casseroles).

I'm still a big fan of my slow cooker and relatively easy stuff but now I'm on the lookout for good recipe sources/blogs. I love chicken, don't know as much about cooking beef and am still looking for more beginner-friendly type stuff!

Google 'Serious Eats' and whatever thing you want to read about, food wise.

visit Youtube and search videos for the content submitter 'Food Wishes'. He's great and and is really good at clearly explaining the process of the recipe. Chef John's pretty funny.

I think those are two nice and simple things to start with.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yeah this. I've started doing it on my propane brewing burner outside so I don't have to worry about all the smoke but the steak is so goddamn good.

e: and if you use a porterhouse then you get to make beef stock for French onion soup.

door Door door fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Picked up some steaks yesterday with a sell-by date of 2/14. Took them out of the fridge today and both are turning brown/greyish. I opened the wrap on both and neither have an odor unless my nose is like, an inch away from them, and it's nothing that smells unpleasant to me. Slightly slimy but not much moreso than the parts that are still red. Are these good to cook if I do so tonight?