Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Vengarr posted:

My only general tip is that the game is called Shin Megami Tensei, and for once they actually mean it. Megami and Diety classes are pretty much the best, along with Tyrant. Pendragons can carry physical teams into the mid-late game because they hit like a tractor trailer. In the late game, Phys attackers must have Pierce or they will be useless (this is why your MC should be magic, because Atsuro is a phys attacker and is required in a lot of maps). Magic teams should try to have a Tyrant for MP recovery and a Diety for overclocking your magic attacks. MC should beeline to 40 Magic, with a slight detour into Agility to get Holy Dance and Stamina for Resist Most.

Holy Dance doesn't have an agility prerequisite, but a strength one, which is why I don't think it's worth the effort for the MC in Overclocked. The fact that even the final day bosses have elemental weaknesses means that, with a bit of prep, you'll get much more damage out of exploiting them with the relevant Amp passive. You get magic-oriented characters who waste points in strength, you might as well give the (not Drain) Almighty stuff to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Vengarr posted:

The game is so tight-fisted with macca that you pretty much have to know exactly what, how, and when to fuse, in order to win. You can't experiment like in most games, which is a terrible design decision.

My only general tip is that the game is called Shin Megami Tensei, and for once they actually mean it. Megami and Diety classes are pretty much the best, along with Tyrant. Pendragons can carry physical teams into the mid-late game because they hit like a tractor trailer. In the late game, Phys attackers must have Pierce or they will be useless (this is why your MC should be magic, because Atsuro is a phys attacker and is required in a lot of maps). Magic teams should try to have a Tyrant for MP recovery and a Diety for overclocking your magic attacks. MC should beeline to 40 Magic, with a slight detour into Agility to get Holy Dance and Stamina for Resist Most.

I never really had any Macca troubles in Overclocked. Though I did replay Free Battles just so I could Crack every skill available at any given time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I never ran low on macca in Overclocked either. I tended not to buy poo poo I didn't need but macca was basically never a barrier for me.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I didn't know Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei got a fan translation patch until today. Has anyone played it? It is a Super Famicom remake of Megami Tensei 1 & 2 which was on the regular Famicom.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Well, if the original two SMT games are super dated from what I've heard, I can't imagine that Megami Tensei would be any better.

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

In this world, there is no truth. The truth is made later on and overwrites what comes before it. Real truth doesn't exist anywhere.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I didn't know Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei got a fan translation patch until today. Has anyone played it? It is a Super Famicom remake of Megami Tensei 1 & 2 which was on the regular Famicom.

I tried playing KMT when the patch came out, and the NES titles don't hold up very well, even with emulator fast-forward. Megami Tensei 1 is a Wizardry clone with basic demon fusion. Megami Tensei 2 was probably impressive for is setting and atmosphere in the NES days, and is way better than 1, but it's still kinda bad. Both games are really opaque mechanically (they won't even let you see your own demons' weaknesses) and they seemed quite shallow. My "strategy" boiled down to grinding until I could wear down boss HP faster than than they could kill me. Admittedly, besides the first boss of MT1 and one pain in the rear end dungeon in MT2 there weren't any huge roadblocks. You can't customize demons at all and the fusion mechanics are pretty much incomprehensible, or at least undocumented on the English-language internet.

Compared to the SMT games they feel quite primitive. At least you don't have to graph the dungeons by hand like in the original versions.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

Holy Dance doesn't have an agility prerequisite, but a strength one, which is why I don't think it's worth the effort for the MC in Overclocked. The fact that even the final day bosses have elemental weaknesses means that, with a bit of prep, you'll get much more damage out of exploiting them with the relevant Amp passive. You get magic-oriented characters who waste points in strength, you might as well give the (not Drain) Almighty stuff to them.

It requires only 8 Strength and you start at 4. It doesn't require much investment at all. You're probably going to want 8 Strength for Blitzkrieg anyway, since that's the best Auto Skill until the 7th day. Amped and Boosted elemental dances will do more damage but Holy Dance is way more skill slot efficient and that's valuable when facing varied groups of enemies.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Kyuuyaku isn't great, but it's still pretty fun if you like straight dungeon crawlers and not have to worry too much about some things.

Dire Wombat posted:

Both games are really opaque mechanically (they won't even let you see your own demons' weaknesses) [...] You can't customize demons at all and the fusion mechanics are pretty much incomprehensible, or at least undocumented on the English-language internet.

I have a mostly complete compendium and fusion chart sitting in a couple google spreadsheets for MT1. Should be done with that before too long, and then I can get MT2's written up. It's not actually that difficult or complicated; just try things and see what happens.

It's no different to the first couple main games in that respect; SMT1 and 2 didn't tell you your demons weaknesses either or let you customise at fusion and neither of those have documented fusion charts in English. Only the weakness thing is a minor inconvenience but since demons are pretty bleh in those game anyway it hardly matters. Not like press turns were a thing then anyway so... :shrug:

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Being able to customize your demons is a fairly new mechanic in the SMT games and side series, in general. The earliest versions of being able to do so being the "Reset until it's a skill set you like" ones. It's only in the games coming out recently-ish that there's been the ability to just outright choose what skills pass down, and even in some of them, you're still bound by skill inheritance rules.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

MT1 fusion is real bad because it doesn't really follow any actual rules like every other game in the series. Instead of being able to intuit what you'll get based on the demon families and the demon levels, it divides the demons in a family into smaller subgroups (which don't strictly adhere to levels - it seems like Nekomata is like, in the top tier of Beasts even though her level should put her in the bottom tier) and then makes like half the possible results be Fairy Dryad.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Dragonatrix posted:

I have a mostly complete compendium and fusion chart sitting in a couple google spreadsheets for MT1. Should be done with that before too long, and then I can get MT2's written up. It's not actually that difficult or complicated; just try things and see what happens.

It's no different to the first couple main games in that respect; SMT1 and 2 didn't tell you your demons weaknesses either or let you customise at fusion and neither of those have documented fusion charts in English.

Demons have significant elemental weaknesses in MT/SMT? I mean, I just assumed the mechanic didn't exist since you can't see it. Huh.

:allears: at writing out the compendium and fusion chart yourself. You're doing the lord's work.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

You're doing the lord's work.
YHWH's to do list:
- Make a world.
- Wipe out a world.
- Buy more face paint.
- Write a Megaten guide.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Pretty much the only reason to play KMT is out of historical interest. The mechanics may be simple, but they are the very first games to feature the core mechanic of the Mons genre, where you create your team by recruiting enemies.

And the games were first released on a system with less than half the power of an original Game Boy. Yet they still had (super-rudimentary) 3D graphics.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Demons have significant elemental weaknesses in MT/SMT?

I'm not sure I'd call it significant, but it's usually really obvious when one attack deals ~20 damage and then another deals over 1000 to the same enemy. :v:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Here are some tunes that you can dance all night to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWpogs4RGvc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnLIwC713hU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Calling it now: Elizabeth's long-foreshadowed final showdown with Erebus will be a dance-off with the entire planet watching on the Midnight Channel. Victory gives mankind the hope needed to get rid of the Great Seal safely. Makoto comes back to life. Good End.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So it's the last level of an Ouendan/EBA game.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Waffleman_ posted:

So it's the last level of an Ouendan/EBA game.

And now I want Elite Beat Persona.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

TurnipFritter posted:

Here are some tunes that you can dance all night to.

you have made my day

e: not sure why i thought this was gonna be two new tracks. the new track sounds pretty good though.

hubris.height fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 16, 2015

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
if that is official teddy artwork i wonder if atlus usa will change his shirt to say 'bear'

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Waffleman_ posted:

Well, if the original two SMT games are super dated from what I've heard, I can't imagine that Megami Tensei would be any better.

SMT1 was pretty decent on iOS, all things considered. It's too bad SMT2 is unlikely to get translated/localized (actually says it won't be on the title page in iTunes).

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

oblomov posted:

SMT1 was pretty decent on iOS, all things considered. It's too bad SMT2 is unlikely to get translated/localized (actually says it won't be on the title page in iTunes).

So did SMT1.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Why the hell isn't SMT1 on Android yet?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I'm slowly progressing through my NG+ of Persona 4. Is there a guide out there for the easiest ways to fuse Personas for Margaret's request? I only got to level 4 of her social link last time and I forget half of what I did to get there.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

I'm slowly progressing through my NG+ of Persona 4. Is there a guide out there for the easiest ways to fuse Personas for Margaret's request? I only got to level 4 of her social link last time and I forget half of what I did to get there.

Assuming you meant Golden, but it should be about the same anyway.

Ctrl+F "PS4A"

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

StandardVC10 posted:

Check near the bottom of this guide.

Barring special fusions, those aren't the only ways to fulfill the requests, but they're probably the easiest.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

This is really cool, I like it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The_Frag_Man posted:

This is really cool, I like it.

It's actually been posted a couple of times (the remix is totally new to me) but I support it because it's cool

I'm actually excited for P4DAN now, and also seeing it spelled out I'm like, 90% sure they called it Dancing All Night and will release a collectors edition so it would be called P4DANCE

ANyway this is probably the last $40 vita thing I will buy

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

The Machine posted:

probably figured it's not worth doing with how easy android piracy is

it is on android if you get the rom I guess

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

The Machine posted:

Because, much like Europe, there be dragons.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Playing Persona 4 Golden on Hard mode feels a lot like playing SMT4 so far. Sure, I know how to do good damage and fuse good Personas, so I can usually kill enemies before they hit me. But if they do hit me, it knocks off like 50% or more of my HP. It feels like I don't have any defensive stats at all aside from resist/null/absorb, exactly like SMT4.

Kinda fun this way, oddly.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The Machine posted:

iOS has even more traction in Japan than it does in the US. We're talking somewhere around 3:1 in Apple's favor, more than enough for a Japanese developer to call it 'close enough' to full market saturation if they felt like it.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online
I downloaded Devil Survivor Overclocked because I had fun the first time I played the game... and it turns out it has frequent DS-crashing bugs. And the one I get happens at the same point in a battle that is required to progress no matter what I do.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

tentawesome posted:

I downloaded Devil Survivor Overclocked because I had fun the first time I played the game... and it turns out it has frequent DS-crashing bugs. And the one I get happens at the same point in a battle that is required to progress no matter what I do.

The Beldr fight? That always causes the game to crash if you soloing the map with the MC and kill him on his turn.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online

Strange Quark posted:

The Beldr fight? That always causes the game to crash if you soloing the map with the MC and kill him on his turn.

Nope. It's the first fight where you're going against the Renegade Shomonkai. As soon as I finish the battle it freezes and crashes.

Edit: After some troubleshooting, I eventually solo'd the map and let the Believers finish the battle. How bad was the European version that it got a patch but the US one didn't?

tentawesome fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 17, 2015

Unmature
May 9, 2008
The real question is why the hell isn't SMT2 on iOS yet?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It's actually been posted a couple of times (the remix is totally new to me) but I support it because it's cool

I'm actually excited for P4DAN now, and also seeing it spelled out I'm like, 90% sure they called it Dancing All Night and will release a collectors edition so it would be called P4DANCE

ANyway this is probably the last $40 vita thing I will buy

I legit think DAN is gonna suck. I'm still probably gonna buy it, though.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

I legit think DAN is gonna suck. I'm still probably gonna buy it, though.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I just don't think I can justify owning DAN. I can't think of anyone in my social circle who would want to dance in front of a TV instead of out in a club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Well, it's a Vita exclusive so.... :v: