Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I read code out over a phone back in 2005, but they weren't sure I was going to be writing code when I was interviewing onsite. It was a for loop in MIPS assembly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
I don't think the text editor is the limiting factor in this process

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

bonds0097 posted:

There are plenty of good "out-of-the-box" online collaborative coding tools available online

Any good recommendations? I want to stop using GDocs, but don't have time to seek out alternatives.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

bartkusa posted:

Any good recommendations? I want to stop using GDocs, but don't have time to seek out alternatives.

Collabedit is good.

I used Hirevue once for an interview which has a built-in whiteboard called Codevue along with the video conferencing. It was meh.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

bartkusa posted:

Screenhero is really nice.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I had collabedit flake out on me a couple of times when trying to use it. Granted, this was after stypi flaked out on me. I think the only one that didn't flake out on me was the original Etherpad.

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!
This was by far the best phone screen interviewing tool I've ever used https://www.hackerrank.com/work/codepair. Phone interviews would be so much less stressful if every company used this.

Collabedit is ok, but it really sucks having to worry about indentation. I promise I format my code nicely, it's just this drat online editor! :argh:

I feel sorry for anyone who's had to do a phone interview with Google Docs, that sounds like a nightmare.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
We tend to use http://stypi.com/ which is isn't as feature rich as others, but we prefer something lightweight and it is quite a bit better than GDocs.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I will be graduating this June. I will have about a year of post-grad OPT, and maybe another 17 months if I can extend it, and eventually a H1B at some point (hopefully).

Here is my first attempt at the resume I will be handing out. It's literally the name of my school, my GPA, and the classes I've taken. What do you think?

I feel quite insecure about my prospects since during my second year I fell in love with chess and dedicated almost my entire free time to playing in tournaments and studying the game. I don't regret the time and passion I spent on doing something I love, but I also recognize that I'm way less qualified/experienced than my peers who are also about to graduate.

There is a couple of people I reached through networking via parents, friends etc. that mailed me asking for my resume, and I also intend to study for technical interviews and review the projects I put on my resume and then apply for as many jobs as I can in a month or two.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
It's good that you're graduating from Stanford but your lack of personal projects or internships is going to hurt you.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

UnfurledSails posted:

I will be graduating this June. I will have about a year of post-grad OPT, and maybe another 17 months if I can extend it, and eventually a H1B at some point (hopefully).

Here is my first attempt at the resume I will be handing out. It's literally the name of my school, my GPA, and the classes I've taken. What do you think?

I feel quite insecure about my prospects since during my second year I fell in love with chess and dedicated almost my entire free time to playing in tournaments and studying the game. I don't regret the time and passion I spent on doing something I love, but I also recognize that I'm way less qualified/experienced than my peers who are also about to graduate.

There is a couple of people I reached through networking via parents, friends etc. that mailed me asking for my resume, and I also intend to study for technical interviews and review the projects I put on my resume and then apply for as many jobs as I can in a month or two.

How the heck did you manage to go through a BSc at Stanford without doing an internship? Anyway, make sure you get your interviewing skills up to scratch, there are plenty of good recommendations in this thread on how to do that (Cracking the Coding Interview is probably the most succinct way).

Your resume needs a lot of work, both in terms of look/layout and also the content. Take a look at this: http://img.docstoccdn.com/thumb/orig/119401972.png (found after 15 seconds on Google). Notice the very clear delineation between the different sections of the document. Try to get close to that. When you list your courses, skip the CSEXXX codes, they don't really mean anything...The dual column layout makes better use of space for your single-age resume. Make sure you have a "Technical Skills" section that lists not only the programming languages but also the APIs and other relevant technologies that you are familiar with (for example, you say that you made an auction website as a course project...your technical skills should at least mention HTML5). Basically any technology that you worked with during some course project deserves to be there (but obviously, order them based on experience/comfort and don't lie). The last section, rather than "Work Experience" should be something along the lines of "Selected Projects". There, you pick 2-3 senior projects that you are proud of and you describe them in a succinct way. What the project was about, what were your contributions, what technologies did you use. Make sure you select projects that you were really involved in and that you have a good grasp on because you WILL get asked about these things during your interviews.

If you haven't already, make a LinkedIn profile and bring it up to speed, make sure you include all the info that you have on your resume (coursework/projects/etc).

The above may sound scary but, you will soon realize that, especially with a degree from Stanford and a willingness to move, you will get more job offers than you can shake a stick at (given that you are at least semi-competent at coding).

Also, keep in mind that certain companies are better than others at handling international folks (who need H1Bs/GCs/etc). Generally speaking, getting a job at one of the big guys will make your life easier immigration-wise.

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

UnfurledSails posted:

Please tell me that you're not going to be sending a low resolution PNG to potential employers as a resume.

If you'd like to upload a PDF somewhere, http://pomf.se/ is fine if you don't mind the kawaii uploader page.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Deus Rex posted:

Please tell me that you're not going to be sending a low resolution PNG to potential employers as a resume.

If you'd like to upload a PDF somewhere, http://pomf.se/ is fine if you don't mind the kawaii uploader page.

Thanks. I'll use this from now on.

shodanjr_gr posted:

How the heck did you manage to go through a BSc at Stanford without doing an internship?

I kind of traveled the world and played in international chess tournaments instead. I want to be a master, and it seems like I actually can do it sometime in the future since I can hold my own against other masters some of the time. (I was also very insecure and scared to death of any kind of interviewing process.)

shodanjr_gr posted:

Great stuff.

Here's my second attempt: http://a.pomf.se/pudfhk.pdf. I changed the layout and added all the stuff I used in my assignments/projects in order of comfort. I also explained what I did in two of the most major projects I've worked on. I will probably update this as I'm currently working on something large for a class, and I will also work on an independent project (it's a requirement for graduation).

It's been more than a year since I worked on the PintOS project, so I'll probably need to review what I did back then. I had great fun working on that, though. I was in a team of 3, and we kind of messily worked on everything all together without any clear division of work, so I don't know how to take credit for all we have done.

I'll work on updating my old-rear end LinkedIn profile as well. I pretty much only got spammed by recruiters/robots so I guess that drove me away from it after a while.

Right now I have about 6 months get a job (August 15 is the 2 month deadline of my post-grad OPT). Is this a realistic time frame, or should I have serious back up plans for the worst case scenario?

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

UnfurledSails posted:

I kind of traveled the world and played in international chess tournaments instead.

Put this on the resume! People are gonna wonder why the heck you don't have any internships, and they'll assume your head is totally up your rear end or something and couldn't get any, if you don't have this information.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

UnfurledSails posted:

Thanks. I'll use this from now on.

I kind of traveled the world and played in international chess tournaments instead. I want to be a master, and it seems like I actually can do it sometime in the future since I can hold my own against other masters some of the time. (I was also very insecure and scared to death of any kind of interviewing process.)
That's pretty cool actually. I agree with what sarehu said, if you've been successful at competitive chess, then you should be including it in your resume.

quote:

Here's my second attempt: http://a.pomf.se/pudfhk.pdf. I changed the layout and added all the stuff I used in my assignments/projects in order of comfort. I also explained what I did in two of the most major projects I've worked on. I will probably update this as I'm currently working on something large for a class, and I will also work on an independent project (it's a requirement for graduation).
This looks much better but can still use polishing. Get rid of the white space as much as possible, so that you have more space for your content. Some better formatting for the section headers would make it look better (don't be afraid to look online for word/latex templates, your school's career services can probably help you as well).

I would categorize the technical skills between languages, APIs and technologies. Then i would order them in order of familiarity and perhaps bold the ones that you are readily familiar with.

There used to be a goon in SAMart that sold resume-polishing services. You might wanna ask for his help or go to your campuses' career services and ask for theirs.

quote:

It's been more than a year since I worked on the PintOS project, so I'll probably need to review what I did back then. I had great fun working on that, though. I was in a team of 3, and we kind of messily worked on everything all together without any clear division of work, so I don't know how to take credit for all we have done.
You can say that you participated in the whole implementation, if you can talk shop about all of it. Again, this section could use "compressing" so that you give yourself space for adding an additional project or two + your "personal interest" section that would include your competitive chess play.

quote:

I'll work on updating my old-rear end LinkedIn profile as well. I pretty much only got spammed by recruiters/robots so I guess that drove me away from it after a while.

Right now I have about 6 months get a job (August 15 is the 2 month deadline of my post-grad OPT). Is this a realistic time frame, or should I have serious back up plans for the worst case scenario?

Recruiter spam is good, that's one way to get jobs. The more up-to-date your profile is, the more spam you will get.

Regarding OPT, I think that you need to have the job prior to the Aug. 15 deadline, that's the time by which your OPT needs to be activated in order for you not to be out-of-status as far as I know (so you would need to have an offer in hand and your paperwork in before then). Make sure you talk to your international advisor before nailing down your timeframe.

Recruiting times vary a lot between companies and different companies have different hiring periods. Generally, getting noticed by the big guys can take a while, especially if you just apply online. If there are any career events going on, make sure you attend them and hand-out as many CVs as possible. Lots of companies will even hold on-campus interviews right after these events which can REALLY fast-track the interview process.

For what it's worth, international students at my school who graduate in the Spring generally start looking for jobs in the fall semester prior...so between polishing up your CV/LinkedIn, practicing interview skills, actually applying/interviewing and coursework, you do have a lot on your plate.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I posted a few months ago about being underpaid (my first job out of school, I'd been working there for 1.5 years and making ~$55k writing embedded software near the Bay Area). My confidence was high after several weekends of rehearsing interview questions with a friend, so I decided to ask for a raise before I began searching for a new job. I was offered $75k but was able to get a little more with negotiation. I know it's a little lower than what I would be paid in SJ but I'm not intent on moving or commuting there at this time in my life.

There's no words to describe how stoked I am. Now I can finally afford some deferred auto maintenance, have some disposable income and put some money towards an emergency fund. Before this, I was lucky to save $100 a month.

I consider it a small victory, and I want to thank the people with experience who graciously help us newbs out :). Thanks!

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
So the Google phone Interview was a partial bust.

My biggest failing were my coding skills. For example, I kinda forgot how to pass functions in Java (just use objects that implement an interface advertising the function...) and they asked me to describe the Java Collections class which I did but not really well I think. Also, I switched the keys/values in my hashmap and was kinda unclean with generics and stuff like that.

Reason this happened is because I'm more used to programming in an IDE and I practised a lot with writing algorithms (from "Cracking the code interview") which doesn't really use generics a lot or any type of complicated code. Also, I'm a bit rusty in programming in general.

Technical answers were ok.

So they decided to give me a second chance and another phone interview for next week. However, I'm in a dilemma: should I take that second chance?

What are the chances that I succeed in this second chance, then succeed in the on-site interview (which would be the week after that due to time constraints if I want to get to Mountainview, time constraints are less strict if I want to work in Europe) and then get selected by the committee?

I'm wondering if its worth the time investment of the preparation if the chances are particularly low, especially since I'm in college and doing a master's thesis at the moment.

Also, if you guys would recommend still going for it (I do want to go badly, but I don't want to have wasted an additional 20-60 hours), how best to shore up my deficiencies ? I was thinking of just going through http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/index.html and write some code in Google Doc in the meantime. Also, if I went through the "The Algorithm Design Manual" already, might it be relevant to do the "Introduction to Algorithms 3rd edition" book now?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kalenden posted:

Reason this happened is because I'm more used to programming in an IDE and I practised a lot with writing algorithms (from "Cracking the code interview") which doesn't really use generics a lot or any type of complicated code. Also, I'm a bit rusty in programming in general.
As a couple of us said before, Google Docs is a bastard and will distract you from writing good code so practise writing code in Google Docs before any interview with Google. This was my downfall in the on-site (I didn't get a coding exercise for my phone interview because it was for partner engineering, not straight dev).

quote:

So they decided to give me a second chance and another phone interview for next week. However, I'm in a dilemma: should I take that second chance?
If they're giving you another chance it means you were close. So yes, go again! At worst it's excellent interview practise. At best it's a job at Google. Unless you are way too swamped with uni work to be interviewing at all I can't see any reason to turn this down.

You're going to get a completely different interviewer thus the questions could be very different, so don't focus too much on the specifics of what they asked before.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

quote:

You probably should, it's free interviewing experience which will come in handy later when trying to land another job.

quote:

What are the chances that I succeed in this second chance, then succeed in the on-site interview (which would be the week after that due to time constraints if I want to get to Mountainview, time constraints are less strict if I want to work in Europe) and then get selected by the committee?

I would be somewhat surprised if you get to intern at Google with as the only programming experience your class assignments from your Bachelors. I'm saying that because we aren't Google and we still get plenty of candidates that have coding experience, so the ones without have zero chance. But then again Google appears to be hiring a ton of people again so who knows.

quote:

I'm wondering if its worth the time investment of the preparation if the chances are particularly low, especially since I'm in college and doing a master's thesis at the moment.

quote:

Also, if you guys would recommend still going for it (I do want to go badly, but I don't want to have wasted an additional 20-60 hours), how best to shore up my deficiencies ?

quote:

I am not a particular coding whiz (I don't really code in my free time) but have relatively good grades and keep up-to-date with the software sector in general.

I'll try to put this politely but from the above you've given zero indication that you've done anything to put yourself above the average yet you're trying to land an internship at a company that prides itself on rejecting many qualified candidates. Do you see a problem here? Then you go on to ask if you really should put in effort...jesus buddy get off your rear end and fix your attitude.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
Thanks for the feedback.
Please don't try and assume too much about me based upon my forum post(s) and keep your language in proportion with that.

To clarify, I do have programming experience (multiple month/year scope projects) and I am concluding a Masters. I am trying to put myself above average (I've achieved a Summa Cum Laude this semester) and participate in plenty of technical activities outside of the curriculum.
I've also been approached for a PhD by my professor, so accordingly I do think I have, at least, a decent 'attitude'. I'm just not part of a particular open-source community and I haven't developed, for example, an app in my spare time, which showed during the interview.

I am willing to put in the effort, but since I already spent 25 hours for my thesis a week and that again for other educational and side projects, I'd rather not put in the effort if my chances are extremely slim.
Naturally, if I still have a decent chance, I wouldn't mind doing the work. Hopefully it is understandable that, if there would be no chance, I am somewhat unwilling to put in 20-60 hours of effort for little.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

Kalenden posted:

To clarify, I do have programming experience (multiple month/year scope projects)

I'm not sure how you go from that to "My biggest failing were my coding skills." and "Also, I'm a bit rusty in programming in general." In any case: we understand that you're a good student but I would suspect that your lack of general programming experience is going to undo your academic achievements when trying to land an internship like this and I'm a bit baffled why you think it's not worth investing in, regardless of whether you get the internship or not, unless you think your Thesis is going to be failure if you can't put enough work in or whatever.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Thanks everyone for their responses.

shodanjr_gr posted:

That's pretty cool actually. I agree with what sarehu said, if you've been successful at competitive chess, then you should be including it in your resume.

Any ideas on how to add a "passion" on a resume without having it sound hokey? I do not have any huge tournament wins since I always pay more to play against players stronger than me, but I've been steadily improving year after year. I did draw against a couple of international masters, and represented my college, but we don't really have an established chess culture here. I have a coach and I train pretty much every day. I'm not sure how to make sure to let people know I take this seriously and it's not some nebulous hobby I do for an hour every week.

shodanjr_gr posted:

I would categorize the technical skills between languages, APIs and technologies. Then i would order them in order of familiarity and perhaps bold the ones that you are readily familiar with.

This is probably pedantic nitpicking, but I'm not sure how to categorize some of my skills here. web.py and Jinja2 are API's, but what about Hadoop and CUDA? Can't I also count them as tech? (I've only recently been introduced to them in my Parallel Computing class). How about the *SQL's? They can be either languages or tech. Does it matter?

shodanjr_gr posted:

For what it's worth, international students at my school who graduate in the Spring generally start looking for jobs in the fall semester prior...so between polishing up your CV/LinkedIn, practicing interview skills, actually applying/interviewing and coursework, you do have a lot on your plate.

It's not the end of the world if I don't make it, but it would make my life harder since I would need to make sure I get an H1B for my first job. I can only hope things go well.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

UnfurledSails posted:

Any ideas on how to add a "passion" on a resume without having it sound hokey? I do not have any huge tournament wins since I always pay more to play against players stronger than me, but I've been steadily improving year after year. I did draw against a couple of international masters, and represented my college, but we don't really have an established chess culture here. I have a coach and I train pretty much every day. I'm not sure how to make sure to let people know I take this seriously and it's not some nebulous hobby I do for an hour every week.
I've seen plenty of resumes/CVs a small "extracurricular activities" section. You could put your chess playing there.

quote:

This is probably pedantic nitpicking, but I'm not sure how to categorize some of my skills here. web.py and Jinja2 are API's, but what about Hadoop and CUDA? Can't I also count them as tech? (I've only recently been introduced to them in my Parallel Computing class). How about the *SQL's? They can be either languages or tech. Does it matter?
You can just lump APIs/Technologies together.

quote:

It's not the end of the world if I don't make it, but it would make my life harder since I would need to make sure I get an H1B for my first job. I can only hope things go well.
Most companies count on OPT when they are hiring internationals out of university, especially folks with no professional background. H1B fillings can only be done at certain points during the year, take some time to process, are not guaranteed (there's a lottery for H1B visas now) and cost the company several thousands of dollars. You should REALLY try to make things work w.r.t. your OPT deadline.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.

UnfurledSails posted:

Any ideas on how to add a "passion" on a resume without having it sound hokey?

Being really good at chess is pretty cool and won't sound hokey.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Kalenden posted:

When did they start doing on-sites for internships at Google? In any case, you should do the second interview. If you have time to prepare, you might get yourself an internship that either turns into a full-time job down the line or otherwise sets up your career (seriously, your hiring prospects change massively once you've done an internship, especially at one of the big places).

If you don't have time to prepare, then at least you've gotten even more practice for one of the toughest interviews in the industry.

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!

Doghouse posted:

I think he was asking more along the lines of what header he could use, like Experience, Skills, etc.

I personally use Hobbies for my "other" section.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

enthe0s posted:

I think he was asking more along the lines of what header he could use, like Experience, Skills, etc.

I personally use Hobbies for my "other" section.

It's more about the fact that I don't really have an impressive accomplishment like top three in a large tournament. Chess is really really hard, and you need to play and study it for years to get to the "my games actually make some logical sense" stage (pretty much like programming, I suppose). I started out only a couple of years ago and I worked hard to get to the strength level I am (About 1750 ELO), but "I train a lot, trust me" doesn't sound as good as a list of medals. Why would they even care?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

UnfurledSails posted:

It's more about the fact that I don't really have an impressive accomplishment like top three in a large tournament. Chess is really really hard, and you need to play and study it for years to get to the "my games actually make some logical sense" stage (pretty much like programming, I suppose). I started out only a couple of years ago and I worked hard to get to the strength level I am (About 1750 ELO), but "I train a lot, trust me" doesn't sound as good as a list of medals. Why would they even care?

Chances are, they won't. But someone who reads your resume might be a casual chess player so they might ask you about it, giving you an additional talking point. It also allows you to point to your resume and say "I was training as a chess master" if someone asks why you didn't do an internship.

You are applying for an entry-level software developer position. You are not expected to be a master of C++ or have in-depth knowledge of GPU Compute. You are expected to be intelligent, decent at communicating, have good computer science fundamentals, some school projects under you belt and good work ethic/dedication (and based on what I've seen, one doesn't even need to hit all these marks to get a job but that's another discussion). That's what your CV should bring out. Being good at chest is a small part of that.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

UnfurledSails posted:

It's not so much that they care about chess, though if the person you're interviewing with does that gives you an easy talking point, but that it would help if your resume explains why you have no internship experience as otherwise the person is going to make an assumption that will probably be unfavorable. If you travel for tournaments, that's one way to indicate that you're serious about it.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

UnfurledSails posted:

I started out only a couple of years ago and I worked hard to get to the strength level I am (About 1750 ELO), but "I train a lot, trust me" doesn't sound as good as a list of medals. Why would they even care?

"Play in international chess tournaments, training to reach USCF National Master level".

Random: in your first resume you talked about your malloc implementation reaching higher efficiency than "malloc, realloc and free" but this is a meaningless statement unless you add what the original implementation was (glibc? msvcrt? jemalloc? dlmalloc?). If I were interviewing you, you'd get asked about this and not knowing the answer would be a no hire.

Humphrey Appleby
Oct 30, 2013

Knowledge only means complicity in guilt; ignorance has a certain dignity.

Doghouse posted:

Agree with this. I stopped playing after college, but I was fairly serious about it when I was younger. If someone had it on their resume I would bring it up in an interview. I think it's a nice personal talking point. It's not going to secure you a job, but no reason to leave it out when looking for your a job.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

shodanjr_gr posted:

When did they start doing on-sites for internships at Google? In any case, you should do the second interview. If you have time to prepare, you might get yourself an internship that either turns into a full-time job down the line or otherwise sets up your career (seriously, your hiring prospects change massively once you've done an internship, especially at one of the big places).

If you don't have time to prepare, then at least you've gotten even more practice for one of the toughest interviews in the industry.

I should clarify, this is a mistake on my part. I'm actually going for a full-time job as a Software Engineer University Graduate. In my mind (because the last couple of years it has always been so) I mistakenly described that as an internship.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice. I've decided to go ahead and am currently busy on shoring up my skills (going through http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/index.html as refreshment) and will do a lot more work on Codility and such. Might go through "Introduction to Algorithms" if I'm able, already went through "Cracking the coding Interview" and "The Algorithm Design Manual", perhaps the other book provides some new perspectives.

Any more advice is naturally welcome.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kalenden posted:

I've decided to go ahead and am currently busy on shoring up my skills (going through http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/index.html as refreshment) and will do a lot more work on Codility and such. Might go through "Introduction to Algorithms" if I'm able, already went through "Cracking the coding Interview" and "The Algorithm Design Manual", perhaps the other book provides some new perspectives.

Any more advice is naturally welcome.
Do all of this in Google Docs :) .

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
At my college I hear of a lot of internships for STEM types, like JPL, but not much on the side of comparable CS internships. It's a community college and I'm in my first year but I want to do some kind of major project or internship over the summer for transfer applications. I've tried to probe my professors but they don't seem to know of much, although I'm probably not probing them hard enough. I really want to push myself and what I know. I'm learning C++ and I'm familiar with C and HTML and basic data structures like linked lists, hash tables, and tries, but like I said I'm still only in my first year.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I forget if I mentioned it here, but: :yotj:

It's at an analytics company with some pretty cool projects and opportunities, plus the people that work there are really nice and p. good at what they do. So far, it's been - I would never say that work is ~pleasant~, but the company has a good head on its shoulders and it's def not as stodgy as others can be. I think I made the right decision.

I'm still running into the impostor syndrome, though. It's less about my technical skills, though, and more about my soft skills. I worry that I come off as "fake interested" when I talk to people cause I'm kinda sorta on edge a little bit, cause it's a new social environment and I take a while to adjust, so I sort of go out of my way to seem professional, but maybe it's just weird.

Also, it's only been two days, but I'm not doing a whole lot of work yet - tomorrow is the first actual pair programming I'll be getting done. That makes me feel like I should constantly seem busy to justify me being there. And even then, if there's nothing to do, why be there...? But you do have to be there, because you have a job to do and being there means you take it seriously and all this is just to say that I feel guilty for leaving 15 minutes early today :saddowns:

All in a, though, major step up from my last job. Fingers crossed, but I'm optimistic. (I hope.)

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

At my college I hear of a lot of internships for STEM types, like JPL, but not much on the side of comparable CS internships. It's a community college and I'm in my first year but I want to do some kind of major project or internship over the summer for transfer applications. I've tried to probe my professors but they don't seem to know of much, although I'm probably not probing them hard enough. I really want to push myself and what I know. I'm learning C++ and I'm familiar with C and HTML and basic data structures like linked lists, hash tables, and tries, but like I said I'm still only in my first year.

I'm assuming you're in the general LA area? If not some of the following words won't apply but who cares.

You'd be surprised at the variety of organizations that offer CS internships. I'm actually in an internship at JPL right now, doing internal web development for rover people. My classmates are interning at places like Western Digital, Raytheon, and some LA county department (the job admittedly sounds pretty boring, but it's still Software Engineering Intern type work). There are regular tech companies too -- Google has an office nearby, and they offer Engineering Practicum internships specifically for freshmen and sophomore students. That said, most big names have already finished recruiting for summer 2015. There are still plenty of companies looking for interns, but I'd advise that you start looking for summer 2016 internships in the fall of this year. Professors are probably unlikely to have many industry contacts, but they might be able to set you up with some code-monkey type work for their research. If your CC profs don't have labs, you might consider reaching out to faculty at a research university if you have one nearby. Finally, if you actually comprehend even just basic data structures, you're well ahead of most freshmen. Don't sell yourself short!

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Steely Glint posted:

I'm assuming you're in the general LA area? If not some of the following words won't apply but who cares.

You'd be surprised at the variety of organizations that offer CS internships. I'm actually in an internship at JPL right now, doing internal web development for rover people. My classmates are interning at places like Western Digital, Raytheon, and some LA county department (the job admittedly sounds pretty boring, but it's still Software Engineering Intern type work). There are regular tech companies too -- Google has an office nearby, and they offer Engineering Practicum internships specifically for freshmen and sophomore students. That said, most big names have already finished recruiting for summer 2015. There are still plenty of companies looking for interns, but I'd advise that you start looking for summer 2016 internships in the fall of this year. Professors are probably unlikely to have many industry contacts, but they might be able to set you up with some code-monkey type work for their research. If your CC profs don't have labs, you might consider reaching out to faculty at a research university if you have one nearby. Finally, if you actually comprehend even just basic data structures, you're well ahead of most freshmen. Don't sell yourself short!
You're awesome, thank you! How does web development relate to rovers? What are you doing exactly, if you don't mind me asking?

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

You're awesome, thank you! How does web development relate to rovers? What are you doing exactly, if you don't mind me asking?

Happy to help! Like most people, I love talking about myself. Without naming the specific product, I can say I'm making a website that lets people perform queries on a database of Mars rover telemetry and do some simple map visualisations. It's just a pretty wrapper for an existing project, as the database, server, routing schemes etc. are all provided.

Other projects I was offered (weeks after I had already accepted the above, meh) include:
Building Python tools for training rover terrain recognition/assessment bots.
Simulating 3d fluid waves for some science thing I don't recall understanding.

Other misc info: pay is relatively low (used to be $10 per hour until very recently). The interviews were all extremely chill, no technical questions at all. Some actual-engineer interns I spoke to said their interviews were hard as balls, though, so ymmv.

genki
Nov 12, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

All in a, though, major step up from my last job. Fingers crossed, but I'm optimistic. (I hope.)
Best wishes with the new job! You've been trying to find something steady/fulfilling for quite a while, hope this one sticks... :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Steely Glint posted:

Happy to help! Like most people, I love talking about myself. Without naming the specific product, I can say I'm making a website that lets people perform queries on a database of Mars rover telemetry and do some simple map visualisations. It's just a pretty wrapper for an existing project, as the database, server, routing schemes etc. are all provided.

Other projects I was offered (weeks after I had already accepted the above, meh) include:
Building Python tools for training rover terrain recognition/assessment bots.
Simulating 3d fluid waves for some science thing I don't recall understanding.

Other misc info: pay is relatively low (used to be $10 per hour until very recently). The interviews were all extremely chill, no technical questions at all. Some actual-engineer interns I spoke to said their interviews were hard as balls, though, so ymmv.

So they hire you (effectively, based on the work you are doing/have been offered to do) as a software engineer intern and then pay you a tad more than minimum wage? I get that it's a research lab but jeez...SE interns in the valley make 3x to 5x as much per hour...(going by the original $10 hourly you stated).