Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Flesh Forge posted:

Look at this poo poo that is in the help for DFhack that you already looked at and know about but I did not:

Dfhack Hotkeys:
- P while looking at a weaponrack allows it to be assigned to squads.
- Shift-Enter while trading will trade an item/stack and move the cursor one step down, helps to trade faster.
- Shift-B while looking at the pet list opens the Autobutcher UI.

- Ctrl-W changed view of water, shows either tile or numbers.
- Ctrl-Q quicksaves the game.
- Ctrl-M while looking with 'q' at a mechanisms shows what it is linked to.
- Ctrl-O while looking with 'q' at a room will show roomlist and owners.
- Ctrl-F opens the DwarfMonitor UI, showing how effective your dwarves work.
- Ctrl-V while looking at a mineral-vein will designate it for digging.
- Ctrl-C while looking at a tile with 'k' will clean it.
- Ctrl-D wile looking at a workshop duplicates the selected job.
- Ctrl-U while looking at a unit shows more details.
- Ctrl-W while looking at the military equipment screen allows weapon auto-select.

- Ctrl-Shift-P while looking at text => Prints text into the forumdwarves.txt in the DF folder.
- Ctrl-Shift-V while looking at a mineral-vein will designate it for stairs.
- Ctrl-Shift-K will destroy all items designated for dumping on the selected tile.
- Ctrl-Shift-N will rename a unit or building.
- Ctrl-Shift-T will rename a unit profession.
- Ctrl-Shift-M while looking at a pressure plate enables linking it to machine power, waterwheels and windmills.

- Alt-A while looking at a siege engine using 'q' allows manual loading and shooting.
- Alt-P while looking at a stockpile copies the stockpile settings.
- Alt-L while looking at a tile with 'k' opens the liquid-spawner UI.
- Alt-P while defining minecart routes open the GuidePath script.
- Alt-A while looking at a workshop job shows job details.
- Alt-M to see a list of all preferences your dwarves have.

- Alt-Shift-N sorts units/items by name in the on-screen list.
- Alt-Shift-R sorts units by arrival in the on-screen list.
- Alt-Shift-T sorts units by profession/items by material in the on-screen list.
- Alt-Shift-Q sorts units by squad/items by quality modifier in the on-screen list.
- Alt-Shift-S in dwarf mode shows the dfhack stocks-screen.
- Alt-Shift-I in dwarf mode zones shows the dfhack zone-screen.

Adventure Mode Hotkeys:
- Ctrl-B will run adv-bodyswap.
- Ctrl-Shift-B will run adv-bodyswap force.
- Ctrl-T will open the AdvFort UI.

Workflow Plugin Hotkeys:
- Alt-W while looking at a workshop opens the Workflow UI.
- Alt-W while in the 'z' status screen opens the Workflow Status UI.
- Ctrl-W while looking at a workshop opens Workflow UI.
- Ctrl-I opens Workflow Status UI.

*not directed at anyone I literally just looked at this poo poo and thought it was cool so I'm advertising how dumb I am, that is a thing I do

Man, all that GUI magic makes me wish someone would finally get around to coding a smelter stock screen. They keep neat track of all the fractional amounts of a metal bar they have in store from melted stuff, but there's no way to see it by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Is there a way to fill in downward stairs that you accidentally put in when you thought your designation was on mine?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pave over them with floor constructions

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

You can construct a floor on top of it. The stairs will still totally be there if and when you pry the tiles off, though. If it still makes your sperg flare up (I know the feeling!!) you can use the DFHack tiletypes parser to turn the tile from a STAIRS_DOWN into a simple FLOOR again.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Honestly, I'm at a loss on what to do next. I should probably set my military up a bit better, but other than that I'm not sure what I should do.

Here's most of what I have so far.

Is everything on one level? Dig down! Get those dwarves out of the dirt!

Alternately, build up! Make a giant tower!

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

SynthOrange posted:

Thanks!

I wish we had a specific hauling designation to mark things that need to be hauled immediately like stones in bedrooms and whatnot. It seems like that would solve a lot of issues I have with hauling in general.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Esme posted:

Is everything on one level? Dig down! Get those dwarves out of the dirt!

Alternately, build up! Make a giant tower!

It can be fun to try restricting yourself to a single level for living space. Still need to dig around for raw materials and stuff though.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Esme posted:

Is everything on one level?

That picture is a bit old by now, but yeah, when I started pretty much everything was on the same z level. I've built a lot up and down since then though.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

How do you guys generally organize your bases? I figure I'd probably have my entrance, which would have a bunch of traps, the trade depot, farms, kennels, and military structures, then a single grand staircase that would lead down. As it goes down, it'd pass through the dining room, meeting hall, and dormitory level, then through several levels of bedrooms, then a couple of workshop and stockpile levels, and then end in essentially another entrance that's more heavily fortified, after which would be the mines. If/when I get enough dwarves, I'd make another military training area on the floor above the mines for when fast response times are needed to deal with things from the caverns and below.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

SynthOrange posted:

Stairs Up work just as well.

Bobert Bobertson
Apr 1, 2014
I dunno if this is common knowledge, and this thread would be an absolute drag to try and read through, but I came across an interesting thing. Fall damage isn't calculated by you falling onto something, it's calculated via throwing the ENTIRE FLOOR at you. This obviously means featherwood floors are insanely great landing pads, being less than half the density of adamantine, and slade/platinum floors are a death sentence, even at mild heights.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

neogeo0823 posted:

How do you guys generally organize your bases? I figure I'd probably have my entrance, which would have a bunch of traps, the trade depot, farms, kennels, and military structures, then a single grand staircase that would lead down. As it goes down, it'd pass through the dining room, meeting hall, and dormitory level, then through several levels of bedrooms, then a couple of workshop and stockpile levels, and then end in essentially another entrance that's more heavily fortified, after which would be the mines. If/when I get enough dwarves, I'd make another military training area on the floor above the mines for when fast response times are needed to deal with things from the caverns and below.

At or very near where the wagon spawns, which is always the center of the embark map, I have a 3x3 primary staircase which goes down into the earth and this also eventually becomes the site of an above-ground tower and space for above-ground farms and pastures. I usually have a 20-wide above-ground plot walled off, centered on this staircase. If there is a cliff nearby where the wagon spawns, then I will dig into it and do the thing you are discussing: a bunch of traps that eventually leads down to the trade depot; but, I will then later actually make a depot access ramp, which can be shut with a bridge. My level immediately beneath the surface is always my stockpiles for drinks, food, plants, and seeds, and my level below that is my underground farms. This puts the farm inputs and outputs on the level adjacent to them, for both the above-ground and below-ground farms. My trade depot is always on the first stone layer, and my initial dormitory and manager's office are usually right in the middle of my entrance tunnel.

Housing is a series of 5x5 rooms that are built around the central staircase and accessed via stairs; i.e., they do not have doors, just an up/down stair connecting them to the rooms above and below. Every few levels I add a dining room, statue garden, or some other common area; i.e., barracks, hospital, memorial, which spans the horizontal width of those rooms and allows horizontal movement without having to climb all the way to the bottom or top of the stack of bedrooms. As soon as I have a good supply of uniform building materials—clay and sand are great for this both because they are infinite and because they are uniform—I begin constructing a tower on the surface. The first order of business is to wall in my surface plots, which in the beginning is done with wood but once I begin in earnest is usually made of earthenware blocks or the like, and put a roof over it; then, build up one more level, put a roof on top of that and carve fortifications on all the exterior walls. I usually position this embark tower right outside the trap hallway entrance, and simultaneously overlooking the caravan ramp entrance, so that in any siege my marksdwarves can shoot down on enemies as they are trying to path into the fortress.

I try to have my Trade Depot entrance tunnel as close to the middle of the map as possible, for smooth pathing.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Bobert Bobertson posted:

I dunno if this is common knowledge, and this thread would be an absolute drag to try and read through, but I came across an interesting thing. Fall damage isn't calculated by you falling onto something, it's calculated via throwing the ENTIRE FLOOR at you. This obviously means featherwood floors are insanely great landing pads, being less than half the density of adamantine, and slade/platinum floors are a death sentence, even at mild heights.

Since I'm playing Masterwork succubus side right now I can actually experiment with slade, so I'll try that, thanks.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
This should work as a training room for melee dwarves right? I'm trying to keep my military section as compact as possible. I don't have any specified barracks with beds right now, but you don't need beds for just a training room right?

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

This should work as a training room for melee dwarves right? I'm trying to keep my military section as compact as possible. I don't have any specified barracks with beds right now, but you don't need beds for just a training room right?

Absolutely. As long as you have either a single armor or weapon rack in the room, it can be a barracks. There aren't really any other requirements to speak of.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Awesome! I just got through redoing my military ward, and I'm pretty happy with how it all turned out. I've got my guard captain's quarters decked out with flooring, multiple rooms, and even her own little statuary that she and her fisherdwarf husband seem to enjoy relaxing at. My marksdwarves have plenty of wooden crossbows and bolts to practice with on the archery range, not sure how effective it'll be in a serious conflict, but it's certainly better than nothing.

My melee dwarves will train in the little dojo area I posted earlier which is one floor above the main floor, though decent melee gear is pretty scarce right now. Finally in the basement I have a massive stockpile of wooden ammo and some meager quarters for my militia commander.

Am I missing anything important for a good military base?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Awesome! I just got through redoing my military ward, and I'm pretty happy with how it all turned out. I've got my guard captain's quarters decked out with flooring, multiple rooms, and even her own little statuary that she and her fisherdwarf husband seem to enjoy relaxing at. My marksdwarves have plenty of wooden crossbows and bolts to practice with on the archery range, not sure how effective it'll be in a serious conflict, but it's certainly better than nothing.

My melee dwarves will train in the little dojo area I posted earlier which is one floor above the main floor, though decent melee gear is pretty scarce right now. Finally in the basement I have a massive stockpile of wooden ammo and some meager quarters for my militia commander.

Am I missing anything important for a good military base?
a paid parental leave program

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
She seems pretty content to lug her baby around when training or killing dwarven children that have gone insane. I think I'll be just fine.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It is a dwarven tradition to use babies as melee weapons, and occasionally as projectiles or shields.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Nietzschean posted:

It is a dwarven tradition to use babies as melee weapons, and occasionally as projectiles or shields.
It's all fun and games till your best trained, best equipped dwarf loses her poo poo because THIS shield/baby was special

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I've got another issue. My melee squad trains fine with no fuss, but my archer squad refuses to train except for the guard captain who leads the squad, who will train regularly for whatever reason. The other guys just do whatever they feel like doing around the fort.
I've got them all equipped with crossbows in their uniforms, I have their ammo set to usable in training or combat, and I have a decent range for them to train at. Here's a picture of the range in case it's the issue. I set each target as a separate range, each one has training enabled for my archer squad, each one reaches back10 tiles to the tile before the wall, not into the wall itself. I'm completely stumped on this one

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Sounds like you checked all the usual things, but just to be sure: they're set to shoot from west to east, right?
e: since you said the guard captain trains regularly I'm assuming the direction is fine, so now I don't know.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

which roles are essential to a fortress? I've just gotten up to about 20 dwarves, and I wanna make sure I'm not leaving anything out.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

neogeo0823 posted:

which roles are essential to a fortress? I've just gotten up to about 20 dwarves, and I wanna make sure I'm not leaving anything out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xLUEMj6cwA

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I really should get a cheesemaker going on all that milk I've got, yeah. But seriously, I know I need at least a couple farmers, carpenters, masons/miners, cooks, brewers, and... what else?

Also, I've got a dwarf smoothing out all the stone on what will be my first bedroom level, but he's taking forever at it. Am I ok to begin building beds and doors and poo poo in there while he's working, or will that interrupt him?

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

neogeo0823 posted:

I really should get a cheesemaker going on all that milk I've got, yeah. But seriously, I know I need at least a couple farmers, carpenters, masons/miners, cooks, brewers, and... what else?

Also, I've got a dwarf smoothing out all the stone on what will be my first bedroom level, but he's taking forever at it. Am I ok to begin building beds and doors and poo poo in there while he's working, or will that interrupt him?

Engravers are only blocked by things that they can't be in the same tile as, so beds are fine but not statues.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Music Theory posted:

Engravers are only blocked by things that they can't be in the same tile as, so beds are fine but not statues.

Ok, good. Also, what's the easiest way to dig out a very deep pit? Just channel all the way down? I want to create a trap pit for any invaders to potentially fall into.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

neogeo0823 posted:

I mean really food and drink are the big things, but you should also think of it in terms of industries that you want to go for. You probably want an industry for furniture and structures (wood, stone, glass, or metal), a clothing industry (leather, silk or plant), a valuables industry (stonecrafting, metalcrafting, bonecrafting, encrusting). Defense industry, in the form of traps and weapons.

Also this is only my technique, but when it comes to stone detailing, I normally wait until I can grab two or three dwarves at once. I like having more than one engraver, and that way they all hit legendary at about the same time, so you don't have one legendary and two novice engravers making engravings of wildly varying quality.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Prop Wash posted:

I mean really food and drink are the big things, but you should also think of it in terms of industries that you want to go for. You probably want an industry for furniture and structures (wood, stone, glass, or metal), a clothing industry (leather, silk or plant), a valuables industry (stonecrafting, metalcrafting, bonecrafting, encrusting). Defense industry, in the form of traps and weapons.

Also this is only my technique, but when it comes to stone detailing, I normally wait until I can grab two or three dwarves at once. I like having more than one engraver, and that way they all hit legendary at about the same time, so you don't have one legendary and two novice engravers making engravings of wildly varying quality.

I see. I really need to think about what direction I'm gonna take this thing in now that I've got food and drink settled.

How do you guys go about setting up who has what roles? Obviously the dwarves all come preset with roles, but I what I've got is a random mish-mash of talents, and I'd like to sort out what I have into more easily recognizable castes. Do I just reassign duties by hand in Dwarf Therapist? Or should I throw caution to the wind and pick random dwarves to do all the duties in a category until I have what I feel is enough?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Prop Wash posted:

In addition to the industries, you should be able to to crank out: mechanisms, rock pots, wooden bins, and wooden barrels.

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

relax, a photo's not gonna make any difference

neogeo0823 posted:

Ok, good. Also, what's the easiest way to dig out a very deep pit? Just channel all the way down? I want to create a trap pit for any invaders to potentially fall into.
Basically, yes, but be very careful with your channel designation priorities. Ideally, you want them to channel one z-level at a time. Also, miners do get thirsty, tired, etc, so they will climb out of your pit, but they can't climb down - I've started digging a vertical stairway/access tunnel. Combine that with managing designation priority on a per z-level basis, you can mostly avoid any tragic falls and collapses.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why can't you build ladders in this game? I feel like that would make a ton of sense, or just a retractable slope.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I've got another issue. My melee squad trains fine with no fuss, but my archer squad refuses to train except for the guard captain who leads the squad, who will train regularly for whatever reason. The other guys just do whatever they feel like doing around the fort.
I've got them all equipped with crossbows in their uniforms, I have their ammo set to usable in training or combat, and I have a decent range for them to train at. Here's a picture of the range in case it's the issue. I set each target as a separate range, each one has training enabled for my archer squad, each one reaches back10 tiles to the tile before the wall, not into the wall itself. I'm completely stumped on this one

try making each target a separate archery range, that used to help

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Try removing that one extra line, so that it's only the bit inside the lane.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

HerrBrau posted:

Basically, yes, but be very careful with your channel designation priorities. Ideally, you want them to channel one z-level at a time. Also, miners do get thirsty, tired, etc, so they will climb out of your pit, but they can't climb down - I've started digging a vertical stairway/access tunnel. Combine that with managing designation priority on a per z-level basis, you can mostly avoid any tragic falls and collapses.

Yeah, I'm building a trapped walkway that will eventually be the main by-foot-entrance into my base. The idea will be that invaders will have to walk along a 1 tile wide winding path that'll be laden with all kinds of traps. If they manage to dodge one of the traps, there's a good chance they'll dodge into a 10 level deep pit. If they don't splat instantly, there will be a staircase that they can walk up to get right back to the beginning of the walkway. I've already dug the staircase out, so now I just need to channel my way down 10 levels.

How does structural integrity work in this game? Is it basically "if it's connected to the main body that makes up the planet, it'll hold up"? I just wanna know if I can hollow out the whole area under the floor of the walkway, or if I need to have a good support structure underneath to prevent collapse.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

neogeo0823 posted:

Yeah, I'm building a trapped walkway that will eventually be the main by-foot-entrance into my base. The idea will be that invaders will have to walk along a 1 tile wide winding path that'll be laden with all kinds of traps. If they manage to dodge one of the traps, there's a good chance they'll dodge into a 10 level deep pit. If they don't splat instantly, there will be a staircase that they can walk up to get right back to the beginning of the walkway. I've already dug the staircase out, so now I just need to channel my way down 10 levels.

How does structural integrity work in this game? Is it basically "if it's connected to the main body that makes up the planet, it'll hold up"? I just wanna know if I can hollow out the whole area under the floor of the walkway, or if I need to have a good support structure underneath to prevent collapse.

As long as it's connected somewhere to some land it should be fine.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

are you READY for some POETRY

Toady One posted:

Here are some of the forms generated for a single large world: right here. They can be repetitive, but there's also a lot in the game that didn't appear on that page, so it should be okay overall. There are several problems to work out (sometimes it demanded some specific hundreds of thousands of stanzas). I need to name them. Then we'll be on to the next stuff!

In which liquors

quote:

A solemn poetic form concerning alcoholic beverages, originating in The Lyric of Coal. The poem is divided into two distinct septets. Use of simile is characteristic of the form. Each line has five feet with a tone pattern of uneven-even.

The first part is intended to make an assertion.

The second part is intended to invert the previous assertion.

In which rocks fall

quote:

A solemn poetic form intended to express grief over mining, originating in The Splattered Confederations. The poem is a single octet. Use of internal rhyme, assonance and vivid imagery is characteristic of the form. Each line has six feet with an accent pattern of unstressed-unstressed-stressed (qualitative anapaestic hexameter). The ending of every line of the poem rhymes with every other. The fifth line of the octet contrasts the underlying meaning of the second line. The second line of the octet is required to maintain the phrasing of the first line. The eighth line of the octet uses the same placement of allusions as the first line.

In which everybody dies

quote:

A dramatic poetic form concerning death, originating in The Icy Nightmares. The poem is a single tercet. Use of allegory and metaphor is characteristic of the form. A form of parallelism is common throughout the poem, in that certain lines often share an underlying meaning. The ending of every line of the poem rhymes with every other. The third line of the tercet is required to maintain the phrasing of the second line. The first line is intended to complain about the subject of the poem. It has four feet with an accent pattern of stressed-unstressed-stressed (qualitative cretic tetrameter). The second line is intended to develop the previous idea. It has two feet with an accent pattern of stressed-unstressed-stressed (qualitative cretic dimeter). It has a medial caesura. The third line is intended to move away from previous ideas. It has four feet with an accent pattern of stressed-unstressed-stressed (qualitative cretic tetrameter).

I'm out of words

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

scamtank posted:

I'm out of words

It's okay, all your posts can now be generated in anaphylactic pentameter from now.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like that the generated poems are just generated descriptions of poems. I was genuinely afraid he was going to include randomly generated word salad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
One of them is a "poetic riddle intended to express pleasure with immortality" and is only a few couplets long. If I'm writing a poem about my own immortality it's going to be thousands of lines long because I've got all the time in the world.