Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Mandrel posted:

Uh, media coverage from beat reporters and bloggers and poo poo doesn't pay even a fraction of their salary. Broadcast media coverage of the games in which they play professional basketball at the highest level pays their salary. Talking to dumbass Matt Moore of CBS Sports about if they'd rather be a cat or a dog or whatever has such a marginal impact on their livelihood that you can basically chalk the entire profession up as parasitic in nature.

I think he meant that media attention in general drives revenue in the NBA. As in because media causes people to be interested in the NBA then the athletes owe it to the media to give them primary source material in reporting.

In actuality that's bullshit logic and the media has been riding the 1960's dawn of sports reporting for 50 years now. The NBA can absolutely exist without idiot media driven sports stories. I think it's ridiculous that any athlete is required to talk to the media, especially considering how terrible sports journalists generally are. News in general has gone downhill since 24 hour news reporting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Doltos posted:

News in general has gone downhill since 24 hour news reporting.

It's especially bad in sports because interesting things don't happen on anything approaching a 24/7 schedule.

ESPN manages to exist nonetheless though so what do I know.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Gone downhill as opposed to what?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

straight up brolic posted:

Gone downhill as opposed to what?

2 hour news casts were good because it gave media outlets 22 hours to research and compile the stories. Now in order to fill up the 24/7 lineup they have to resort to many non-news stories, specifically non-news programs like His and Hers, Sportsnation, or First Take.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

The news has become less temporally dependent because of the relaxation of the constraints of technology and capital. Just because you're not always happy with the use of airtime doesn't mean that it's a black & white 'bad' effect. The 24 hour news cycle has drastically improved sports journalism just as much, if not more, than its hurt it. It's not like ESPN was good before the 24 hour news cycle.

Infotainment doesn't detract from the quality of sports news. The way that media investment has escalated means that even more resources are directed towards research and compilation.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Kevin Durant speaks One Word in his new commercial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_ePm9Y-UB4

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

ill never get tired of the VC 360 windmill. Probably my favourite dunk (in contest) ever

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BWV posted:

ill never get tired of the VC 360 windmill. Probably my favourite dunk (in contest) ever

The Vince contest is never going to be touched as an overall event (they brought it back just for him, there was a ton of hype and anticipation, and then he actually exceeded it), but that LaVine behind the back oop is the best contest dunk I've ever seen.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
The results are in, Steph Curry loving crushed everyone and also here's what the ASG starting units would look like if only people on here got to vote:

Illinois Smith posted:

East
John Wall
Kyle Korver
Jimmy Butler
LeBron James
Giannis Antetokounmpo

West
Steph Curry
Russell Westbrook
Kevin Durant
Dirk Nowitzki
Anthony Davis

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3696593&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 15, 2015

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Doltos posted:

2 hour news casts were good because it gave media outlets 22 hours to research and compile the stories. Now in order to fill up the 24/7 lineup they have to resort to many non-news stories, specifically non-news programs like His and Hers, Sportsnation, or First Take.

I grew up in that time and it was poo poo then too.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
This seems relevant to some in SAS. NBA VR
http://www.avclub.com/article/nba-getting-virtual-reality-215282

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Onhoops was my favorite site when I was a teenager and I basically tried to copy it for awhile. The Larry Johnson picture and quote at the bottom of every page killed me every time as a 16 year old shut-in basketball nerd

edit: I'm going through the site a bit and Kelly Dwyer wrote for them

BIZORT fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 16, 2015

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

euphronius posted:

I grew up in that time and it was poo poo then too.

Yeah I'm not trying to rose-tinted glasses this poo poo but most real news stories seem to be dug up by random internet jagoffs that do their own research, then that's broken on twitter then into the ESPN regurgitation.

What I'm saying is that because the media has always been terrible and that the NBA/NFL/MLB popularity doesn't exactly need ESPN then I don't see why athletes are forced to talk to them at all, especially considering how malicious the media has always been about non-issues and quotes taken out of context.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Lockback posted:

With pavement and basketballs nearly impossible to find in today’s tech-obsessed society, this may even be the closest some people ever get to America’s second or third-favorite pastime
i just can't find a basketball court every time i try i trip and fall face-first into a pile of tablets

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
The media redeemed itself in my eyes during the off season when that one guy wrote how dan gilbert flew out on a private jet to meet with lebron and he stood by his story even when gilbert himself shot it down and all the plebeians made fun of him going :rolleyes: media.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

JRizzle posted:

I can't believe yall are missing this

hahjahaha

cool company she's gonna cherish these photos forever

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

EvanTH posted:

cool company she's gonna cherish these photos forever

I wonder how much they paid for these unbelievably bad photos. They're not good enough for instagram.

His wife needs to work out.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Can we not insult basketball players' pregnant wives please.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

a family of dunkers

https://vine.co/v/OPYAOpeheaj

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Really? What the gently caress is this terrible Italian mafia stereotype bullshit? TNT/NBA should be embarrassed to broadcast this.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

:lol: Its literally Oladipo's dunk, except way better

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

I don't know how to feel about this.

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

suicidal would be my 1st instinct

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

:love:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

:rip:

Frank Isola ‏@FisolaNYDN
The Amar'e Stoudemire era is over in New York. The Knicks and Amar'e reached a buyout agreement tonight, sources tell the NY Daily News.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Vertical Lime posted:

Frank Isola ‏@FisolaNYDN
The Amar'e Stoudemire era is over in New York. The Knicks and Amar'e reached a buyout agreement tonight, sources tell the NY Daily News.

Welcome back to Phoenix Amar'e

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
Amar'e is being dipped into the lazarus pit at this very moment. The wear and tear on his retina and knee are fading.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

MourningView posted:

The Vince contest is never going to be touched as an overall event (they brought it back just for him, there was a ton of hype and anticipation, and then he actually exceeded it), but that LaVine behind the back oop is the best contest dunk I've ever seen.

Yeah, that's gotta be the best contest dunk because of how easy LaVine made it seem. I didn't even realize he went behind the back until the replay.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Man, I really don't like it when a player's career goes into a slow fall like Amare did. If it's going to end, let it end a year or two, not 4+ years like STAT's.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Vertical Lime posted:

Frank Isola ‏@FisolaNYDN

Isn't a 20 million dollar expiring contract worth at least some 2nd round picks? Why would they buy him out?

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

can't stop watching this

remember
Nov 23, 2006

RCarr posted:

Isn't a 20 million dollar expiring contract worth at least some 2nd round picks? Why would they buy him out?

Wouldn't they have to take on salary for at least next season if they did this? Since they don't own their 2016 pick(actually a Denver swap iirc), they're hope is to hit in the draft + free agency or they're looking at 2ish more years of poo poo.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Vertical Lime posted:

Frank Isola ‏@FisolaNYDN

Good bye Stat, wished your body held up :(

hitze
Aug 28, 2007

He pulled out the Dark Wing Duck again

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
If any NBA player ever shows up to a press conference dressed as Launchpad McQuack, my life will be complete.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

hitze posted:

He pulled out the Dark Wing Duck again

Let's get dangerous

With our cap space

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
So did everyone enjoy the all-star weekend?

Seemed better than previous years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

MVP posted:

So did everyone enjoy the all-star weekend?

Seemed better than previous years

I liked it till the mini "Suns got beat on this last second shot and this one and this one and this one and this one" documentary :(

• Locked thread