Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I hope that the "grief over mining" is a generic "[emotion] over [labor]" type adlib deal, so that we get neckbearded moan machines whining about how there's no art to potash making or spergin over fish dissection like psychopaths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

scamtank posted:

I hope that the "grief over mining" is a generic "[emotion] over [labor]" type adlib deal, so that we get neckbearded moan machines whining about how there's no art to potash making or spergin over fish dissection like psychopaths.

Bliss over recovering wounded.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yes. Please. I need this.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

A poetic riddle intended to raise suspicion that you are a necromancer and earn lavish obsidian quarters.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

PublicOpinion posted:

One of them is a "poetic riddle intended to express pleasure with immortality" and is only a few couplets long. If I'm writing a poem about my own immortality it's going to be thousands of lines long because I've got all the time in the world.

To be fair, "Living forever is loving awesome." is a pretty succinct way of getting your point across.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Maybe you use all your extra immortality time to learn how to stuff epenthesis, occasionally reversed grammar, occasionally reversed word order, alternating tonal patterns, and parallel allusions into a poem that's only four lines long. I do like that some of the poetic forms require things that aren't present in English so we'll have to write our fan poems in Italian or Chinese.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That assumes that immortality somehow makes you immune to forgetting everything you learned in lit class like 5 years out of college like everyone else.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
Sure, everyone shits on the immortal poem, until they realize it is a masterfully crafted palindrome.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

This is a poem about Urist McDwarf. It includes a blissfull depicition of the poem about Urist McDwarf. It includes a blissfill depicition of the poem about Urist McDwarf.

And so on.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
So I just finished my first ever project that I would really consider major. I redid my entire military section with smooth walls, matching statues, and flooring. It took a lot of digging out walls and replacing them with matching walls, but I got it done after an hour or two. The up/downstairs sections with ammo stores, barracks, and training rooms are smoothed out too, but they're a lot less impressive looking than the main floor.

Turtlicious posted:

Try removing that one extra line, so that it's only the bit inside the lane.

Can't. It'll only extend left or right, but the range should work fine since the guard captain uses it regularly.

GreyPowerVan posted:

try making each target a separate archery range, that used to help

That's how I have it set up.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

neogeo0823 posted:

How do you guys generally organize your bases? I figure I'd probably have my entrance, which would have a bunch of traps, the trade depot, farms, kennels, and military structures, then a single grand staircase that would lead down. As it goes down, it'd pass through the dining room, meeting hall, and dormitory level, then through several levels of bedrooms, then a couple of workshop and stockpile levels, and then end in essentially another entrance that's more heavily fortified, after which would be the mines. If/when I get enough dwarves, I'd make another military training area on the floor above the mines for when fast response times are needed to deal with things from the caverns and below.

I've settled on a mix of vertical and horizontal design, with a fairly consistent setup (this does not go over my initial "get off the surface" portion, which is basically 3x3 stairs down and a couple large rooms to shove poo poo in).

• Ramps down to the first stone layer, with a short 1-wide path trapped out and a longer 3-wide path for the caravans to go through. The 1-wide path zig-zags over a (usually) 20-deep pit so they fall and die/hurt themselves badly when dodging traps. After all of that I ramp down to my "trading" level which I will describe later on. There is usually a secondary entrance bridged off so I can let my dwarves quickly access the surface if needed, but its almost always closed off.
  • My dining/brewing/cooking area is on the same z-level (usually) as the caravan entry maze off of a large stairway that goes down. There is also an offshoot that goes to the secondary entrance mentioned above.
  • Below that I have my offices/noble bedrooms. The next 2-3 z-levels are usually mass-dorms centered on the large stairway.
  • Below that is my military/hospital level. Its basically right in the middle vertically.
  • Next is stockpiles for finished goods and furniture. This is also the trading level, which is a 3-wide path shooting off with some areas for archers to get above and shoot down. Its close enough to both the dorm/military and my trading area that it requires relatively minimal movement to construct poo poo or move it to trading. Its generally a 31x31 room centered on the stairs, though that can get larger later on. There's also enough space for me to fit my cloth industry in here so the level below can be reserved for other crafting.
  • Then we have the crafting area. Same 31x31 room as above, with quantum stock piles for materials. I've stuck to putting Stone crap at the north, wood on the east, ore on the south and gems on the west.

I've been pretty happy with this setup, and can macro the everliving gently caress out of it, which makes setting up a new fort a breeze (especially with the new markers and priorities for digging).

neogeo0823 posted:

How do you guys go about setting up who has what roles? Obviously the dwarves all come preset with roles, but I what I've got is a random mish-mash of talents, and I'd like to sort out what I have into more easily recognizable castes. Do I just reassign duties by hand in Dwarf Therapist? Or should I throw caution to the wind and pick random dwarves to do all the duties in a category until I have what I feel is enough?

Early on I just give roles to people when I need it (outside of the initial 7 who have specific roles, usually based on their stats [give me all of the indefatigable+ miners please]). Once I hit 20-30 dwarves I start looking at their stats/current roles and try to fill out what I need. I abuse custom professions in Dwarf Therapist (base Commoner role that I give all new migrants, and then specific professions for different roles such as mining, mason, crafter, cook, etc...). My old Commoner role actually gave nearly every "Farmer" role, but I've recently removed that and I give them only Wood Burning, Furnace Operation and all Hauling. Later on I remove Wood Burning and Furnace Operation as I'll have people dedicated to my metal industry. They get it early on in case of a fey mood.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just to make sure: you've designated the ranged squads to train in the archery range right? Same way you do the barracks.

Also I've never made each target its own range and it's always worked for me. If I had to take a guess I'd say the walls in between each target is messing something up somehow.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

So I just finished my first ever project that I would really consider major. I redid my entire military section with smooth walls, matching statues, and flooring. It took a lot of digging out walls and replacing them with matching walls, but I got it done after an hour or two. The up/downstairs sections with ammo stores, barracks, and training rooms are smoothed out too, but they're a lot less impressive looking than the main floor.

Can't. It'll only extend left or right, but the range should work fine since the guard captain uses it regularly.

That's how I have it set up.

Make sure you set each target to be shot at from west to east/ left to right.

Edit: Wait, the guard captain uses it fine? I guess look at who's set to train and how your squads are set up then, because as far as I know the guard captain shouldn't behave differently from any other military dwarf.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 16, 2015

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Also how big are the ranges? Archers stand as far away as they can, based on the size of the range, and can block people from passing by (and thus using the next ranges) if the range extends all the way out to that back path.

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I wish we had a specific hauling designation to mark things that need to be hauled immediately like stones in bedrooms and whatnot. It seems like that would solve a lot of issues I have with hauling in general.

I'm pretty sure Dumping has the highest hauling priority (though maybe burial wins? I dunno), so if you have something you want to get rid of ASAP dump it (make sure to have a dump setup, it can be 1x1 if you want).

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I've got it set up so you shoot left to right, that shouldn't be an issue.
I'll shorten the ranges by a square so dwarves aren't standing in the hallway, though I don't think that's the issue since the captain would always practice on the second to last range and wasn't blocking 3 of the ranges.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just so people stop suggesting it, try digging out another row backwards so that there is a lane behind where the archers shoot so they can move around each other.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Turtlicious posted:

Just so people stop suggesting it, try digging out another row backwards so that there is a lane behind where the archers shoot so they can move around each other.

I went ahead and shortened it by one so the dwarves wont shoot from the hallway, still nothing unfortunately.

On the positive side holy poo poo you can mark things to be dumped! I conscripted two peasants to be garbage dwarves/undertakers that do nothing but haul refuse and corpses if the need ever arises. Gone are the days of stones dirtying up otherwise nice looking rooms.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Bunch of things that might be causing your problems that people haven't mentioned yet (or I missed it):

Make sure your other archers don't have the Mining, Wood Cutting, or Hunting labors set. If they all have wood cutter or miner enabled it'll prevent them from properly joining the military.

Make sure that you not only have each target set to be an archery range, but that you've actually told your crossbow squad to train at every single target. Highlight the target with 'q', scroll down to the crossbow squad with +/-, hit 't', highlight next archery target, etc.

If it's not that, double-check the equipment to make sure that all your other archers have crossbows, quivers, and there's enough ammo for them all. Hit 'v' and look at your crossbow dudes and check their inventories to make sure they've actually picked all the stuff up if it looks like the equipment's setup correctly.

If that's not it, then double-check your training orders and make sure that you have as many 'Train, 1 minimum' orders set up as you have guys in your archer squad. If you have that set up correctly then try making a new Alert mode and setting your train orders again in that. I think the default one is known to occasionally screw up.

If that's not it then I have no idea.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Woops. I never made the squad active so they never actually were in the military I guess. When I activated them, all 10 rangers immediately gave me an "x has become a marksdwarf" message. That explains why the captain of the guard practiced as well, since she was the only one considered military. You learn something every minute with this game.

Uniform question:if I set a dwarves uniform to be a mail shirt, short sword, and bone helmet, will the dwarves still wear some actual clothes along with that or are they gonna just wear those items and nothing else?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you select "Replace Clothing," then they will wear only what you have specified and will remove all other items.
If you select "Over Clothing," then they will wear what you have specified (if possible) in addition to whatever they are already wearing.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The easiest way to do it is to wait until you have a full armor set ready to go for them and then tell them to replace clothing. Wear over clothing tends to be a little weird because the clothing/armor system is stupidly complex (a complex system in dwarf fortress? shocking I know) so you get occasional weirdness like dwarves wearing all kinds of random poo poo rather than the actual armor you want them to wear.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
That seems obvious now that I look at it. Thanks for being so helpful guys, and sorry for flooding the thread with all these questions.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

scamtank posted:

qualitative anapaestic hexameter
... okay.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If the captain of the squad is using the range then imo it's working fine. Dwarves don't use the range very regularly at all and the ones that do tend to be ones that already have a decent amount of skill in ranged weapons.

It's not unusual to see recruits or whatever barely ever using the range for a long time.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.

scamtank posted:

are you READY for some POETRY
I hope that you can mod in additional written art forms. I want my dwarfs writing fan-fiction.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

On the positive side holy poo poo you can mark things to be dumped! I conscripted two peasants to be garbage dwarves/undertakers that do nothing but haul refuse and corpses if the need ever arises. Gone are the days of stones dirtying up otherwise nice looking rooms.

If all you care about is the clutter you can also [d]esignate->[b]ulk designation of items->[h]ide. Beware it will hide any item, not just raw materials.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Moridin920 posted:

If the captain of the squad is using the range then imo it's working fine. Dwarves don't use the range very regularly at all and the ones that do tend to be ones that already have a decent amount of skill in ranged weapons.

It's not unusual to see recruits or whatever barely ever using the range for a long time.

This is only true of improperly setup archery ranges and squads. For a guide from start to finish, see this post which in turn links to Mechanixm's Archery Training Primer.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Mu. posted:

I hope that you can mod in additional written art forms. I want my dwarfs writing fan-fiction.

50 shades of Urist.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Lawman 0 posted:

50 shades of Urist.

You mean <number> shades of <mineral>

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Alrighty, I think I got most of the kinks worked out in my military. All of my dwarves are active and training. If anything does come my way, I should be able to handle it. I'm still working out a few kinks with getting my dwarves to equip the bone helmets I made for them, but at least they wear the bone greaves and mail shirts I made. It's pretty drat satisfying seeing my military actually working.

Edit:And of course the moment I post that I get sieged by goblins. I guess it's time to test out my military. I need to figure out how to get all my civilians indoors before the goblins reach the building or I'm gonna get royally hosed.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 16, 2015

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Are those range booths still individual rooms?

In other news, I started altering elves because I'm a little bored with them not having any cloth for sale anymore. It seems the one thing that was missing was [OUTDOOR_FARMING]. Apparently you can't weave enough cloth for trading purposes if you're just foraging for wild cotton sprigs. There's no fruit trees that produce fiber either.

Also, all you need for elves to turn into total carnivores that pack their caravans full of unicorn eyeballs and hoof trophies is [USE_ANIMAL_PRODUCTS]. No butchering labors, still unethical to kill animals, just that one bit.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 16, 2015

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Yep, all individual rooms. The setup seems to work fine since I'll have up to 3 or 4 dwarves practicing at the same time.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Given a relatively complex set of mining designations, is there a way to give them all a different priority? I've got some clusters of bedrooms that I'd love to paint over with higher priority as I need them.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Well, my first ever siege is going pretty well. The goblins seem to have about 10 troops so far, all goblin soldiers of some description, nothing that looks too hairy. Unfortunately they caught me before my fortress defenses were done, so I've got nothing but my military to defend us. Luckily I outnumber them 20 to 10 right now. I think I'll play it safe and wait it out a while by building walls in front of all my doors. If no more goblins come, I'll send out my military who should be able to win pretty handily since the goblins seem to like splitting into 5 man squads that should be pretty easily mowed down if I send all 20 at once.

Quick question, can siegers actually break down your locked doors? I've been walling the exit doors off in just in case, but I haven't seen the goblins really touch the doors at all.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I guess I should just leave Masterwork alone for a while and let them catch up to the current version, a whole bunch of stuff in the release version is actually broken (particularly glass crafting is kind of all hosed up for several races) and the WIP version is too fruity for my taste so ... dang 40.24 has tons of new poo poo in it doesn't it.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Quick question, can siegers actually break down your locked doors? I've been walling the exit doors off in just in case, but I haven't seen the goblins really touch the doors at all.

No, but that's why goblins like bringing trolls. They have a tag named [BUILDINGDESTROYER], ponder on its meaning for a second.

Nobody can break down solid walls, though. Talc boulders or balsa logs, constructions are impenetrable.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

scamtank posted:

No, but that's why goblins like bringing trolls. They have a tag named [BUILDINGDESTROYER], ponder on its meaning for a second.

Nobody can break down solid walls, though. Talc boulders or balsa logs, constructions are impenetrable.

Awesome, so as long as they don't have a troll I should be fine with just doors. I think my next project is gonna be a killbox that lets a few goblins in at a time so I can lock the door behind them and send my military at them.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

scamtank posted:

Further to this, you can make doors immune to building destroyers by placing them at the top of ramps; and, if the door is at the top of ramps on both sides then it will be immune to building destroyers even if it is open.

To make the building destroyer-immune door, you need a total length of 5 tiles, and 2 z-levels arranged thus:

upper: █ ▼ ┼ ▼ █
lower: . ▲ █ ▲ .

I did not have the patience to copy and upload a bunch of tiles from your tileset, so I used ascii symbols. Here is a key:

█ = Wall
▼= Downward slope (above the upward slope)
┼ = Stone door (can be any other material)
. = Floor tile
▲= Upward slope

Thus positioned, the door on the upper level will be ignored by building destroyers: when forbidden, they will stand in the floor tile at the bottom of the ramp; when passable, they will path through it in search of some other building to destroy; when closed or opened by a mechanism, they react as though it is forbidden or passable respectively.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Awesome, so as long as they don't have a troll I should be fine with just doors. I think my next project is gonna be a killbox that lets a few goblins in at a time so I can lock the door behind them and send my military at them.

I believe in the archery post I linked you earlier I included a diagram (using Phoebus, not Spacefox, but the tileset symbols are similar) of a killbox using archers. Give it a look!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

scamtank posted:

Don't some megabeasts inflict fire damage that requires constructions & fortifications to be built from magma-safe materials?