Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Margot deffo had fun on that one. Loved the dam winching too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait
"I had a candy apple red IROC Z Camaro. Apparently you don't have those here."

"No we don't, we have, what's the word, taste"

I laughed way too loud at that, and must send a link of that bit of video to a friend who recently introduced his Red IROC to someone named Ellis Juan.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Will Smith was hilariously unprepared. He was just bullshitting his way through that entire interview.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Will Smith was hilariously unprepared. He was just bullshitting his way through that entire interview.

Innate charisma is a wonderful thing. Sparkly eyes and a nice smile help too. It was good though. Too bad that movie will probably end up being garbage that's quickly forgotten.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I was surprised that they didn't like the idea of a RHD Mustang. I'd take most any RHD-only car of interest in LHD. I wonder if right-handed people in RHD countries are a bit more ambidextrous than the rest of us - not just because of the shifter, but the whole center stack. I wonder how a LHD Mustang would sell in the UK compared to a RHD, or in Japan/Australia/etc.

Also surprised by their remarks about American firemen - I've served as a firefighter before and have never seen anyone ride outside the cab, except maybe a quick lift 50 yards down the road to another vehicle. All departments I know of stopped doing this decades ago.

Hammond's Defender stunt was the first time I've been nervous for anyone in Top Gear. In theory it'd be easy enough to check that everything was safe, but nevertheless commendibly ballsy of him to do that after his previous injury on the show. I would not want to plummet down that slope in a 60+ year old car.

I really enjoyed this and the last episode.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

blk posted:

Also surprised by their remarks about American firemen - I've served as a firefighter before and have never seen anyone ride outside the cab, except maybe a quick lift 50 yards down the road to another vehicle. All departments I know of stopped doing this decades ago.
Top Gear exaggerating some out-of-date or incorrect stereotype about <insert group here>? WELL I NEVER

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

To be fair, this is my department's main pumper truck:

And it's not at all uncommon for us to load 2 guys in the cab and then 2 or 3 more on the rear facing bench seat right behind the cab, in front of the controls, on the way to a call.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

blk posted:

Hammond's Defender stunt was the first time I've been nervous for anyone in Top Gear. In theory it'd be easy enough to check that everything was safe, but nevertheless commendibly ballsy of him to do that after his previous injury on the show. I would not want to plummet down that slope in a 60+ year old car.

I really enjoyed this and the last episode.

Well his accident was caused by something going wrong at high speed, this probably seemed like the best stunt for Hammond to try given that fact :v:

Edit: Having just googled "british fire truck", they look like they're styled after the fire truck toys we all played with as kids.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

blk posted:

I wonder how a LHD Mustang would sell in the UK compared to a RHD, or in Japan/Australia/etc.

Generally the authorities limit the number allowed on the roads because having the steering wheel on the wrong side is downright dangerous.

Drint Blasters
Jul 1, 2007

Someone in the music department of Top Gear must really love Command and Conquer 3

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I dug the Interstellar soundtrack in the BMW film.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

blk posted:

I was surprised that they didn't like the idea of a RHD Mustang. I'd take most any RHD-only car of interest in LHD. I wonder if right-handed people in RHD countries are a bit more ambidextrous than the rest of us - not just because of the shifter, but the whole center stack. I wonder how a LHD Mustang would sell in the UK compared to a RHD, or in Japan/Australia/etc.
In the 80s and 90s they were common. A fair few 1960s and 1970s mustangs and other USA muscle cars were driving around with a huge sticker across the rear window saying "Caution: Left Hand Drive". There were a couple of dealers that sold nothing else but used imported USA muscle cars.

Pretty sure LHD imports are banned now. There might be an exception on vintage cars, and existing ones on the road grandfathered in. But now any import generally has to be converted to RHD to be licensed. e: Which I've heard is at least $20k for the job, engineering approval etc.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Feb 16, 2015

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, one of the good things about the UK is that even though they've tightened it up a bit, it's still relatively easy to get oddball stuff registered, but it's still a niche market, and the costs involved make the cars more expensive than in the US.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

T1g4h posted:

To be fair, this is my department's main pumper truck:

What's the bumper designed for like that?

I love US firetrucks, like they said on TG, "you end up with a firetruck" when you design a vehicle to fight fires. The US ones just tend to be a bit more flamboyant in the best way they can. (chrome, graphics, design etc. Just overall "polish" and a bit of pride instead of tax-funded utility vehicle #34250974398567439856743890)

On the Land Rover thing, it was tense for sure and it was well done. I'm still a little disappointed. I don't understand making a tribute to a vehicle line (and honestly, its owners), who have done amazing things, by taking a corny fake ad to sell the thing. There are so many actually real expeditions that have cemented the Series/Defender vehicles in history that were a lot more dangerous. I understand why they chose to do this, but I wish it was a time when TG would've been more sentimental. Instead the sentimental segment went to the BMW i8, weirdly.

SIARPC was more entertaining than I was expecting. I agree with Will Smith being completely caught off guard with Argentina etc, heh. Chile magnets.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

tuna posted:

What's the bumper designed for like that?

Honest answer? I have no idea. I like to think it's so we can ram cars out of the way for not moving over and giving right of way, but I don't actually know why it's set up like that.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

T1g4h posted:

Honest answer? I have no idea. I like to think it's so we can ram cars out of the way for not moving over and giving right of way, but I don't actually know why it's set up like that.

I looked into it a bit, it's usually because you can open it up and inside are several lengths of pre-connected hoses. It also has a hitch on the front for whatever specific needs your area has (snowplow?). Of course it could be something completely unrelated but I'm betting on that area being storage for something of the kind, rather than ramming poo poo (which would look quite different imo).

If you find out let me know, I'm probably way off

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

tuna posted:

I looked into it a bit, it's usually because you can open it up and inside are several lengths of pre-connected hoses. It also has a hitch on the front for whatever specific needs your area has (snowplow?). Of course it could be something completely unrelated but I'm betting on that area being storage for something of the kind, rather than ramming poo poo (which would look quite different imo).

If you find out let me know, I'm probably way off

I'm 90% certain you're correct, the ramming is merely wishful thinking on my part considering how often people just refuse to get over :v:

Also, considering just how much hose we keep on that truck, it definitely would not surprise me to find out there's even more in that bumper. I do know it makes a great makeshift bench for catching your breath after a particularly nasty structure fire though!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If the winch was powered by a separate engine, what made the stunt different than using any other car?

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

T1g4h posted:

I'm 90% certain you're correct, the ramming is merely wishful thinking on my part considering how often people just refuse to get over :v:

Also, considering just how much hose we keep on that truck, it definitely would not surprise me to find out there's even more in that bumper. I do know it makes a great makeshift bench for catching your breath after a particularly nasty structure fire though!

Each truck seems so individual, I hope you do find out, it'll probably be something unique to your department.

For instance, this station decided it needed a Cummins diesel on their bumper.

Top gear does not know what the hell they are talking about. US fire trucks are the best.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Drint Blasters posted:

Someone in the music department of Top Gear must really love Command and Conquer 3

They've used that a lot, haven't they? I remember a lot of the Halo soundtrack showing up a few seasons ago as well.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Could anyone tell what Clarkson did to gently caress up the charging on the hybrid? I couldn't tell if he simply hadn't plugged it in properly or hadn't actually turned on the charging station.

tuna posted:

Top gear does not know what the hell they are talking about. US fire trucks are the best.

Plus fire engines are just so individually tailored to any specific site's needs that it's impossible to make generalisations by country.

Unless they're Russians, who prefer to shoot the fire to death.

Russian fire crews don't extinguish fires - they pacify them. Then specially trained teams of firefighters use flame resistant batons to knock the fire to the ground and vigorously suppress it into unconsciousness before dragging it back to the station for 'questioning'.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Aren't there ones (in eastern europe or the ME), that use a giant turbine to flow water/blow it out as well? They're the best.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Could anyone tell what Clarkson did to gently caress up the charging on the hybrid? I couldn't tell if he simply hadn't plugged it in properly or hadn't actually turned on the charging station.

It looked to me like he was supposed to pre-pay for charging time, but hadn't actually done that properly for whatever reason. I may be completely wrong though :v:

Another great episode, I was actually pretty keen on that i8 until they mentioned the actual fuel economy stats which are worse than my Golf :psyduck:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Gorilla Salad posted:

The Ecotricity higher-rate charge points like that one stop after a certain amount of time. Default is 40m, you can set them to stop at a given time or percentage charge. He probably just let it time out.

They have a number in them you can call for them to do remote diagnostics if there's a real problem, too.

It's just the usual TG "Clarkson is an orangutan who doesn't do technology" and "make up an artificial problem to demonstrate that electric cars don't work properly" schtick, don't worry about it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I haven't bothered to look it up, but I'm sure the 130 mpg number is the equivalent when running on all electric charged from a station. Driving like a maniac while simultaneously charging the batteries with a 3 cylinder, I'd say 31 mpg is pretty good.

I wanted to see the i8 go around the track.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I thought as much. Clarkson's reputation around electric vehicles precedes him.

Which brings me to my next question:

Running the car in sport mode "which charges the battery constantly" is the least economical way to travel, right? Because you're taking power away from the petrol motor to charge the electric one.

Well, I suppose he could have driven the entire way in first gear with the handbrake on.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

FogHelmut posted:

I wanted to see the i8 go around the track.

Just don't try to open the hood.

http://youtu.be/jTNKiTrX0Vk

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Two non-Clarkson reviews that give a combined economy of 28mpg

http://www.thecarconnection.com/review/1086862_2015-bmw-i8-preview_green_7
http://www.cnet.com/uk/products/2015-bmw-i8/

The Will Smith interview seemed quite short: no mention of any of his cars apart from his first one.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

yaffle posted:

"There's no reason to open the hood unless it's in the shop". Isn't that the wiper fluid container down there?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

yaffle posted:

Holy poo poo. That's clearly designed by someone who's never been away from a drawing board.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Even the manual door opener right at the start. "Yeah, just about every single person breaks this" Then it's poorly loving designed!

"This is the backup for if the electricals go down and you're trapped inside. You know, the emergency escape door release. So we made it really loving easy to break. For a joke!"

Every single thing in that video makes me angry.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 16, 2015

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

tuna posted:

Each truck seems so individual, I hope you do find out, it'll probably be something unique to your department.

The best fire trucks are always airport ones. They always look like a piece of military equipment and less something used to fight fires.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBvzlEbbDts

tuna posted:

I love US firetrucks, like they said on TG, "you end up with a firetruck" when you design a vehicle to fight fires. The US ones just tend to be a bit more flamboyant in the best way they can. (chrome, graphics, design etc. Just overall "polish" and a bit of pride instead of tax-funded utility vehicle #34250974398567439856743890)
You kind of want firetrucks to be as flamboyant as possible so people actually notice them.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 16, 2015

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
I could watch interviews with Clarkson critiquing car-related rap lyrics all day

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Two Finger posted:

They've used that a lot, haven't they? I remember a lot of the Halo soundtrack showing up a few seasons ago as well.
I've heard some Two steps from hell, Mass Effect 3, Goldeneye and shitloads of Hans Zimmer as of late.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Clarkson said early lyrics. I was disappointed as I grew up with fresh prince of belair and dj jazzy jeff and the fresh prince. I haven't heard or watched anything Will Smith has done since the original MIB
Suprised when Will Smith said his actual first car was a candy apple red iroc, as that's in the lyrics to "who stole my car?"
'my car looked like it was a lego explosion...'

quote:

I remember my first car, never forget it
A candy apple red I ROC, windows deep tinted
Talk about fast like a rocket to drive
Went from zero to 60 in like 5.5
Imagine red rims but that wasn't enough
It had a car phone for when I wanted to reach out and touch
An alpine stereo the straight up rock
With 12" woofers you could hear for blocks

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Ola posted:

"There's no reason to open the hood unless it's in the shop". Isn't that the wiper fluid container down there?

Could be the coolant reservoir, didn't get a close enough look but it looks like the coolant reservoir from a mk3 golf.

That whole thing looks like its made of glass based on that vehicle. Touch anything and it breaks.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

yaffle posted:

Why the gently caress would you build a car like that?

MadScientistWorking posted:

The best fire trucks are always airport ones. They always look like a piece of military equipment and less something used to fight fires.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBvzlEbbDts

Most airport trucks are adapted from a military design, they can also be used for fighting large specially fires in major cities.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

yaffle posted:

That is hilariously complicated.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

holocaust bloopers posted:

That is hilariously complicated.

Even by German standards...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Hammond's restored Land Rover was a nice gag.