Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Bussamove posted:

What weapon are you using? GS and HH are both useful for Basarios/Gravios since they have attacks that can't bounce. And of course bullets never bounce. :getin:

Bullets deflect for even more damage! :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I usually stick with the old classic Greatsword, but I gave the Charge Blade training mission a shot and while mashing blindly I downed the Great Jaggi in my third switch/phial combo.

My god.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The charge blade does seem wicked powerful. I've been maining it over the weekend and if you can get a good run of elemental discharges, the fights can end in no time at all. It's an incredibly satisfying weapon.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So I just made it to the second town and, uh... when the hell do I start seeing Velocidromes outside of Excursion/Guild Quests and Queen Seltras at all? Really starting to get tired of being in Jaggi from head to toe.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The Tetsucabra armor is a good step up from the Jaggi set - not too hard to get the materials for, either.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Cat Machine posted:

The Tetsucabra armor is a good step up from the Jaggi set - not too hard to get the materials for, either.

Yeah, I just want to get some Artillery ASAP for proper explosions. That'll have to do though.

Resonance22
Dec 17, 2006

404GoonNotFound posted:

So I just made it to the second town and, uh... when the hell do I start seeing Velocidromes outside of Excursion/Guild Quests and Queen Seltras at all? Really starting to get tired of being in Jaggi from head to toe.

My understanding, and I don't really know, is that Velocidrome only spawns in Excursions and Guild Quests. When you do farm him, make sure to kill lots of the little guys too. The sets need a crap ton of their hide. At one point, I had farmed enough velocidrome mats but was still going into excursions to kill the normal velociprey.

Resonance22 fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Feb 16, 2015

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

What's the online etiquette when it comes to equipment level? I'm at HR in single-player but haven't started LR Guild yet. Would it be considered poor form to join in LR hunts with my HR equipment?

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I jumped on a Lagombi and now I feel like a terrible person

It didn't even try to shake me off, it just huddled with its head in its hands while I stabbed it with knives over and over :smith:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Are Armor Spheres a lot rarer this time around? I feel so strange getting to the second town and i haven't even upgraded half my armor as of yet.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Rage McDougal posted:

What's the online etiquette when it comes to equipment level? I'm at HR in single-player but haven't started LR Guild yet. Would it be considered poor form to join in LR hunts with my HR equipment?

Naw, consider it your duty to help out people in lower ranks. Helping out people is mad fun.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Yeah, just don't hop in LR/Noobie labelled rooms or something with your HR weapon. You can probably get away by saying you're still dumb as rocks and just trying out new weapons, but otherwise, there are undoubtedly countless people who just want to be tourists. It is your job to drag them up the ranks and well beyond their competency level.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

What kind of caveman thinks a well done steak is better than rare t:mad:

Have you even SEEN what tapeworms look like on that world?

Answer: Yes you have. It's Gigginox.

Elysiume posted:

You can get sap plants with resources, so that's halfway there. I'm not sure if you can ever buy iron ore.

Your trader merchant NPC guy you get eventually will sell stones and spider webs, and can multiply sap plants.

Leaping Mutton
Feb 27, 2010

What could go wrong?
How much of the game is available for co-op? Are there separate missions or are the single player missions all available in co-op?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
There are 2 sets of quests; Village and Guild. Village is singleplayer only. Guild is up to 4 people. Guild is where the meat of the game is.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide

Rage McDougal posted:

As long as you make an effort to go for the breaks/subquests rather than just killing the monster ASAP I don't see why anyone would mind.

Leaping Mutton
Feb 27, 2010

What could go wrong?
Thanks. Hoping to get a copy with my brother this weekend. Not entirely sure what weapons to use right now, but I do like the demos Charge Blade. Might use something else in Multiplayer though.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I've been using bows and really liking them but I'm not 100% sure which ones to be making. I know element is important but if I'm able to craft two bows of the same element where one has higher raw damage and one has higher elemental damage which one do I go with?

Also Power Shot seems way better than Arc Shot. I get kind of bummed out when I make a shiny brand new bow and it can't do a Power Shot.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I picked this up over the weekend and haven't been able to put it down. Such an awesome game. I was going to avoid the Insect Glaive since it seemed like everyone who's anyone would be using it, but man oh man is it useful/overpowered. I also thought it would take me a long time to get used to it but now i'm downing huge-rear end monsters in literally seconds.

One thing I haven't gotten used to though is capturing monsters. I remember in Tri capturing was relatively easy, but I can't even craft any useful traps/capturing tools. Do I just wait until later to start capturing monsters? I just unlocked Level 3 quests to give an idea of where I am.

Also the soundtrack is insanely good.

Praesil
Jul 17, 2004

I bought peco feathers but his gear isn't showing up at the blacksmith. Did I miss something?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I never tried a range attack and just attempted the bow. I'm not sure if I get it but man the controls are abysmal with that thing. It took me way longer then I'd like to admit to kill the G. Jaggie it spawned for me :psyduck:

I'm so bad at this game. I keep thinking "I'll go online" but I feel like I'd be a challenge modifier with how terrible I am so been afraid of putting my head in there

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 16, 2015

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
^^ try changing the bow aiming controls in the options. The new setup they have is universally reviled. e: get online with some goons. Being shown the ropes will teach you so much more than you can imagine. The series is full of nuances and details that will literally take you hundreds of hours to learn on your own.

Ethiser posted:

I've been using bows and really liking them but I'm not 100% sure which ones to be making. I know element is important but if I'm able to craft two bows of the same element where one has higher raw damage and one has higher elemental damage which one do I go with?

Also Power Shot seems way better than Arc Shot. I get kind of bummed out when I make a shiny brand new bow and it can't do a Power Shot.

This is monster hunter, a game where you kill monsters to make weapons out of their parts.

The correct answer is to make all of them.

The more correct answer is, Bows (ranged in general) tend to ask for a highly specialized builds to be deployed on a per-monster basis. In the case of Bows, the charge types count for a lot, but not all quests are hunting a single monster, but sacrificing all element damage for more RAW might hinder your damage output for the largest target in the quest.

Look at quests, and match an appropriate bow to quests. You don't NEED all of the bows, but having the right tool for the quest can be the difference between a 30 minute slog, and a casual sub 10 minute stroll. If you don't like a playstyle that has you planning your hunt outside the hunt, rather than flying by the seat of your pants, then I would not recommend ranged weapons.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
Yeah, the strength of ranged weapons is their ability to exploit monster weaknesses and soft spots better than anyone else. But you kind of HAVE to play like batman to get the most out of them.

Also, I still can't find a good guide to the different kinsect evolution choices. Does anyone have a webpage for them?

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Are Armor Spheres a lot rarer this time around? I feel so strange getting to the second town and i haven't even upgraded half my armor as of yet.

I just beat Shagaru with an un-upgraded Tetsu armor set. I've gathered some here and there, but it's been mostly at the end of quests. Feels more like how Freedom Unite was in that regard. I get what they're going for with it but god drat it's a slog trying to upgrade things now. Didn't bother upgrading my armor because I want to save my Spheres for HR/GR stuff.

Rage McDougal posted:

Consider the skill level of the average new player. Now imagine you sauntering in with HR gear and helping them demolish some quests that would've otherwise taken them ages. Every so often you'll have someone get pissy because you're taking the challenge out of the fight, but most of the time people will be stoked to get through quests and get their monster parts faster.

A question of my own: Does the farm equivalent ever get not-poo poo? Like I said, I just beat Shagaru, and at most I can do 5x cycles on like one of the locations I have. This seems worse in every possible way over the farming systems from previous generations. The fact that the items you give to produce more rewards seem super rare (I've only ever gotten them from the Wyporium dude himself) only makes it worse. You can't just go "Here's some giant poop, make way more mushrooms this time!"

I'm glad you can multiply Spider Webs, at least, but I'm completely understocked in basically everything. I had to buy Potions because the Wyporium wasn't cranking out the materials in high enough quantities to keep up. When you don't have any Mega Potions, let alone the mats needed for Demondrugs and Armorskins, things get a lot more frustrating. So does it ever pick up? I've been trying to keep his Requests taken care of as they come. I just want to hit a point where I'm not constantly scrounging for everything I need. I just found my first Adamant Seed in the Shagaru fight. I don't wanna think about how long it's gonna take just to get a few dozen of those going.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

ChibiSoma posted:

I'm glad you can multiply Spider Webs, at least, but I'm completely understocked in basically everything.

The Wyporium sometimes sells spider webs. :shrug: Otherwise I used to be in the same boat, but just about every map has some honey spots. If you use/make high potions during the hunt, it's a good idea to at least grab some honey to replace it.

Otherwise, you just have to do Expeditions sometime to get those seeds and plants and more caravan points.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Do nutrients increase your hp for the rest of the game or just for that mission?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Do nutrients increase your hp for the rest of the game or just for that mission?

Only that mission, and only so long as you do not cat cart. Nutrients are a bit of a back up, in the event you do cat cart, and you lose your food buff, or you really REALLY don't want meat with your meal.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Speaking of meal, do we have a combinations list for which gives what effect?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I still can't decide what weapon(s) to spend most of my time on. I mentioned on IRC I like the big-hitters most, so I've tried HBG, hammer, greatsword, hunting horn and gunlance. So far none have especially clicked as 'yes, yes, this is my weapon'.

Well, HBG came close but then I ran into fast fuckers like Gypceros who promptly handed me my own rear end :(

(edit) Greatsword sort of clicked too but that feels like it requires much knowledge of monster behavior to actually hit with charges, and I'm not that smart!

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 16, 2015

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Try charge blade, but watch gaijinhunter's tutorial on it, because it has an absurd amount of depth that you won't figure out on your own.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

I still can't decide what weapon(s) to spend most of my time on. I mentioned on IRC I like the big-hitters most, so I've tried HBG, hammer, greatsword, hunting horn and gunlance. So far none have especially clicked as 'yes, yes, this is my weapon'.

Well, HBG came close but then I ran into fast fuckers like Gypceros who promptly handed me my own rear end :(

(edit) Greatsword sort of clicked too but that feels like it requires much knowledge of monster behavior to actually hit with charges, and I'm not that smart!

If HBG almost clicked, try Light Bow Gun. Its my gun of choice, and being super mobile while holding a small cannon is really great.

As far as great sword goes, your bread and better attack is your draw slash. It does slightly more damage (I think) than a normal overhead attack, and you can pop in and out of combat with it. I mean, still do big charges as much as you can but just don't get greedy because your animations take forever.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

If you like big-hitters, you have to be content with not landing hits that often, and making sure the hits you *do* land count. Even fast monsters have periods where they're stationary enough to be smacked hard. If you like hitting monsters a lot though, don''t use a big hitter.

Getting to know how the monsters move is something you'll have to learn to do no matter what weapon you pick.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

ilifinicus posted:

Speaking of meal, do we have a combinations list for which gives what effect?

Once you try each combination, the ???s disappear forever, so just experiment.

Anyway, I'm a little discouraged by being back in poo poo-tier gear after spending a solid year clowning on fools in my Uragaan X Blademaster Gear with Maxxed-out Brachy weapons. How do I get my mojo back? What should I strive for?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

G-Prime posted:

Try charge blade, but watch gaijinhunter's tutorial on it, because it has an absurd amount of depth that you won't figure out on your own.

I'm halfway through the video and I think my brainmeats are leaking out my ears :(

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Is it just me or is MH4U significantly easier than past versions?

I've been playing for about four years now and I just farmed magala for his charge blade (chargebros reppin") and I've only made one armor set (the tetsu set) which i haven't upgraded at all and I still haven't failed a hunt, and carted twice only once (it was from playin hella dumb against the spider)

my hunt times are always sub 20 minutes, it's just weird getting to midgame without having failed a quest from carting or abandoning and effortlessly, unbelievably quickly beating everything

the game just seems way easier in the ramp up now, with me not really encountering any roadblocks that need me to gearcheck like in past games when you hit tigrex etc

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Ciaphas posted:

I'm halfway through the video and I think my brainmeats are leaking out my ears :(

Charge blade in a nutshell:

Sword mode:
X is basic attack
A is strong attack, can be charged and infinitely comboed with X
X+A is a lunge attack
R is shield
Once the phials glow you can charge with R+A. Switch modes with R+X

Axe mode:
X is basic attack, does not use a phial
A is strong attack, uses a phial
Discharge attack is either A combo or X+A. Pressing R during the discharge attack uses your phials and charges your shield
R switches back to sword mode

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Toxxupation posted:

I've been playing for about four years now and I just farmed magala for his charge blade (chargebros reppin") and I've only made one armor set (the tetsu set) which i haven't upgraded at all and I still haven't failed a hunt, and carted twice only once (it was from playin hella dumb against the spider)

my hunt times are always sub 20 minutes, it's just weird getting to midgame without having failed a quest from carting or abandoning and effortlessly, unbelievably quickly beating everything

the game just seems way easier in the ramp up now, with me not really encountering any roadblocks that need me to gearcheck like in past games when you hit tigrex etc

Actually the game was slammed in Japan for being too hard, so feel good about yourself.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

I mean, its low rank.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

What should I be doing in terms of registering expeditions to get relic equipment? If I register one with a treasure room do I always get a treasure room when I take the guild quest? Or do I just register any quest with the equipment bias I want and then grind it until I actually get a drop?

Also, do the weapon/armor drops only come from the regular-looking ore veins, or do they show up in the crystal veins or other gather types too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Notorious QIG posted:

Charge blade in a nutshell:

Sword mode:
X is basic attack
A is strong attack, can be charged and infinitely comboed with X
X+A is a lunge attack
R is shield
Once the phials glow you can charge with R+A. Switch modes with R+X

Axe mode:
X is basic attack, does not use a phial
A is strong attack, uses a phial
Discharge attack is either A combo or X+A. Pressing R during the discharge attack uses your phials and charges your shield
R switches back to sword mode
Worth noting you can also transition straight from SnS mode to an elemental discharge (and back to SnS) by doing X*, X+A, X+A

* You can substitute X with a dodge, or out of a jump landing!

• Locked thread